Author Topic: I was thinking about the Mars XL tank.  (Read 5272 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
I was thinking about the Mars XL tank.
« on: 05 May 2019, 03:29:36 »
And I got thinking that to get the tank to go faster would require more than just an XL engine delivering more power.  The Mars is a big 'ol tank and the closest thing we've ever really had to its quad track layout is the experimental T-95 tank destroyer which had two tracks on either side to support its not inconsiderable 95 tons.

The Mars has its tracks far more widely spread though and this would be a problem.

Those inner tracks would be a maintenance nightmare, if you throw one of the tracks or suffer damage to them, you can't have the crew work on them because the rest of the tank's in the way, everything track/roadwheel related would be a full on workshop job.  And then there's the amount of space they take up internally, one of the inner tracks goes beneath the fighting compartment for the turret and although it seems to be an unmanned turret you've still probably got a turret basket and all the loading/power systems that would have to be placed around the area where the track bulges up into the hull.  Unless the inner tracks are kind of like those on the TOG

Where they go up at the front and back for the drive wheels and then dip down to try and eliminate any major extension up into the hull.

But anyhow, the Mars XL.  When making a vehicle, you have things like the clutch, the power system, breaks etc, all built to go to certain tolerances and speeds.  If you then start doing things like adding weight etc you strain them and overwork them, leading to failures.  We've had RL experience with this in WW2 where tanks like the Panther, Ferdinand/Elephant and Tiger II were too big and heavy for their transmissions or clutches and went through them at an alarming rate. 
And slapping a more powerful engine into a Mars and expecting it to go faster would have the same problems.  Its tracks, its suspension, clutch, transmission etc would all be built around a max speed of 32kph.  Putting a more powerful engine in there and trying to force a system that is designed and built to do one thing by going well above what its meant to makes me think that the Mars XL would be an absolute nightmare for techs. 

Even if you re-worked the Clutch, added a new gearbox and transmission as well as worked on the suspension and tracks, you'd probably have a vehicle that would have a voracious appetite for components.  Something tells me that the Mars XL would be still rated to go at 32kph, and its driver and crew would be told that they could only 'give it the beans' to quote Clarkson for short periods of time and only basically in emergencies.  Because if you don't you will break the power train or snap a track and you will be stuck until techs or a dropship can get out to you (seeing as the Clans have nothing that i'm aware of that can recover and carry a Mars outside of a Dropship).

« Last Edit: 05 May 2019, 03:36:51 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: I was thinking about the Mars XL tank.
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2019, 05:40:10 »
Concerning maintenance, maybe it raise and lower specific tracks?
This would require the suspension system to be build for this, but it is plausible.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2019, 06:42:53 »
Concerning maintenance, maybe it raise and lower specific tracks?
This would require the suspension system to be build for this, but it is plausible.

Some kind of pnumatic system that when its getting repaired the track that needs to be worked on is pushed down? Yeah that makes sense, otherwise you'd have to take off one track and all its road wheels and then what ever divider there is between them and then get at the other one which would be a nightmare.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2019, 09:24:52 »
What about the tracks as a magnetically-driven belt of plates that slides over the surface on rails and re-enters the hull through a slit? In theory you could design that so that even if a portion of the track were blown off it wouldn't prevent the remaining segments from functioning. The entire track mechanism could then be articulated separately from the hull in several places to smooth out the ride.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2019, 09:45:40 »
Mars tech crews are washed elementals that can carry the massive jack needed to tilt the tank on its side to reach the treads

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2019, 01:14:51 »
Nitpick, but despite lacking a turret the T28/T95 was actually designated as a tank rather than a tank destroyer due to its intended role.

And while the Mars might be comparable in size to that impractical monstrosity, the modern M1A2C Abrams is compatible in size to the Tiger II yet has far greater mechanical reliability due to much more advanced components and construction techniques being available.  I think it's likely that the Mars is similarly much easier to build and maintain than a T28 (it also has substantially better speed and maneuverability- by Battletech standards the T28 had a movement rate of 0/1).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2019, 01:24:50 »
Well - think it got more in common with the Object 279

track maintenance is an issue - but they could use continuous rubber bands (there exists repair sets or segmented rubber band (4 segments)) - would help a lot in maintenance.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2019, 03:53:28 »
I find that thinking about the motive systems of the TRO3060 Clan Vehicles is a quick route to a headache.

Sure as hell drawing them was
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2019, 05:29:36 »
I find that thinking about the motive systems of the TRO3060 Clan Vehicles is a quick route to a headache.

Sure as hell drawing them was
Well, clans consider vehicles as third rate.
They simple used utility vehicles like a road roller (Ishtar) or tractor (Mitras, Hachiman, Ares) or land train (Ku) or paver (Zorya)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2019, 05:45:25 »
Yeah, putting guns on construction vehicles does explain some looks... ::)

A super suspension system could explain the Mars, thought. If the tracks can be extended by 2-3 feet it would make mobility AND maintainability much better!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2019, 15:31:24 »
Those inner tracks would be a maintenance nightmare, if you throw one of the tracks or suffer damage to them, you can't have the crew work on them because the rest of the tank's in the way, everything track/roadwheel related would be a full on workshop job.  And then there's the amount of space they take up internally, one of the inner tracks goes beneath the fighting compartment for the turret and although it seems to be an unmanned turret you've still probably got a turret basket and all the loading/power systems that would have to be placed around the area where the track bulges up into the hull.  Unless the inner tracks are kind of like those on the TOG

Do you know how they fix it if a tank breaks track?

You drive off one track after using a sledgehammer to knock the pin out (or it breaks in the field).  Work is done on the 'broke' track and then the vehicle goes in reverse until its lapped right back to the same place and new pin gets put in.  SOOOOO grateful I never broke track in the field- or had to deal with it in the motorpool even.  My TC & I were cursing up a storm and praying devoutly at the same time when I put our M1068 up on a rock that was covered by snow during the night before.

wow . . . MLRS . . . that really looks like my old unit area

Btw-  Moltke or Carnivore suspension?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2019, 06:28:09 »
Colt, what's that last chassis?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2019, 09:28:05 »
Dunno exactly, it came up when I did a couple of searches.  I think its a remote robotics set up, but each side's tracks being split in two reminded me of a couple of designs with regards to the 'how' like the Carnivore.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Corky

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2019, 09:49:19 »
Never try to rationalise batteltech designs. Its a game. If any of the mech designers had half a brain all mechs would have reverse knee joints (i.e. mad cat/marauder) instead of the dumb human skeletal type joints.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2019, 11:50:24 »
Never try to rationalise batteltech designs. Its a game. If any of the mech designers had half a brain all mechs would have reverse knee joints (i.e. mad cat/marauder) instead of the dumb human skeletal type joints.

Whoa, that's a little harsh.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2019, 12:24:56 »
Nah, chicken walkers are only better over open ground. They're not so good with stairs... *ED_209_falling.gif*
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2019, 12:40:11 »
OT note: Birds actually have knees in the same orientation humans have. They're just extreme toe-walkers, the "knee" is the ankle...

Anyway, I've never heard that reversed knee joints would be significantly different that forward kness in function.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2019, 13:05:04 »
All I can think of is that Chaos Irregular description of a Raijin in combat where it was hull down behind the crest of a hill by squatting down (like a chicken sits on eggs) to cover most its frame though the weapons still poked above the crest to fire.  Its going to be faster to do that b/c its already part of the way along in the process unlike say a Centurion's humanoid legs.

Going back to it though, wider treads offer a larger ground cushion that helps to prevent a tank from getting mired.  If you cannot expand the width of a single track, then using a second set might make sense.  Look at a lot of the post WWII designs, they were built for operations in Europe with a set expectation of ground saturation.  I want to say some of the tanks used in N Africa were fine there but bogged down when put in use in Europe.  I wonder if the Merkava has the same tread-width as the Leopard, Centurion or old Soviet tanks.
Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2019, 14:41:23 »
According to this site : http://mathscinotes.com/2016/06/tank-track-ground-pressure-examples/

Nato tanks run 25 to 26.5 inch track widths. Modern soviet/russian tanks run 22 inch widths.

I haven't found a source for the merkava, but i have found a number of unsourced claims of 25 inches.

Generally the issue is less track width so much as track area relative to tonnage.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2019, 14:47:04 »
Yeah, I was wondering about the Israeli design being less b/c it was not needed in their theater BUT . . . since they built off of some shared concepts/work with the Brits it would not be a surprise not to change it.

Track width is just a easy way to increase the area.  I will say afaik they never tried to shorten the length of the M270, since it does offer increased stability as a firing platform.  It certainly does not have the firing problems HIMARS has when it goes to shoot.
Colt Ward

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 09 May 2019, 10:42:54 »
BT tanks (let's assume there are no wheeled tanks) will have a very low groundpreassure.
First because those things are large. Really large.
The classic Po for example will be much larger compared to a M1. (The main reason is ammunition, 2 tons of AC ammo can not be stowed easily. At least not when you don't want to ignore lessons of tank warfare.
(Mentioned Po will have 48-60, 140mm rounds (56 saboted 90mm APX)

The second reason, afaik the speed tanks can do is offroad speed - so they have  wide tracks, powerful engines and superb transmission.

« Last Edit: 09 May 2019, 10:48:47 by Hptm. Streiger »

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #21 on: 09 May 2019, 11:02:16 »
The classic Po for example will be much larger compared to a M1. (The main reason is ammunition, 2 tons of AC ammo can not be stowed easily. At least not when you don't want to ignore lessons of tank warfare.
(Mentioned Po will have 48-60, 140mm rounds (56 saboted 90mm APX)

A ton of ammo takes up a bit over a cubic meter. It's really not all that bad.

The reason for BT vehicles being huge is their crew compartments are much, much larger than IRL vehicles. They have bigger crews (sometimes much bigger, a Behemoth has more crewmen than a Maus despite not needing manual loaders or a radio operator) and there is more space per crewmember. Some vehicles give the crew space to walk around inside IIRC. And things are even worse for Clan vehicles because with the crews often being washed Elementals they need bigger seats and more headroom.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #22 on: 09 May 2019, 12:03:34 »
Yeah, the Po weights less than a loaded Abrams IIRC . . . though on a flat plain I think the Abrams can go faster?

BT tanks are more crewed like WWI tanks to be honest . . . or perhaps taking off the Bolo types though since the setting does not have AI, all the auxiliary guns have to be manned by individuals.

THOUGH . . . some recent fiction matches up with what someone talked about for TO&E planning purposes.  First Price Caleb Hasek-Sandoval-Davion was the track commander of a M1 Marksmen that he rode into combat.  The vehicle was crewed more like modern tanks- driver, TC, gunner and IIRC someone else was sitting in the turret, alternate gunner maybe in place of the loader?  And the internal spaces were pretty tight when he was needing to bail out.  Isle of the Blessed has a pillbox'd Manteuffel save Davion in his Marauder, and the TC checks to find the 2 or 3 other crew are dead in the vehicle.  Sniper's Shrek has a crew of 3 . . . so the rules about crew are ignored- BUT if you consider those missing folks as support for each vehicle then it makes sense.  Dedicated techs and ammo loaders- who in current doctrine are second/back up crew.
Colt Ward

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2019, 02:47:12 »
You do realize that as this tank is fusion powered it doesn't have a gearbox, and might not even have a clutch, right?

Corky

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2019, 08:14:19 »
we had diesel driving electric motors during ww2

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2019, 08:54:30 »
You do realize that as this tank is fusion powered it doesn't have a gearbox, and might not even have a clutch, right?

Is that to me or the OP?
Colt Ward

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2019, 11:02:16 »
Then how does it move?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2019, 12:39:45 »
Engines directly on the wheels. Electric motors can have the torque needed. With the right power supply system it won't need a clutch either.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2019, 17:10:00 »
Electric motors don't stall. They can direct-drive the wheels.

Or, as I suggested upthread, they could use linear motors to drive the tread plates directly and not have any wheels at all.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2019, 17:18:14 »
Hang on - tracked vehicles roll on wheels which sit on tracks.  I can't see how this could be done without wheels?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.