Author Topic: AToW Character Generation Spreadsheet (Redux)  (Read 46114 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: AToW Character Generation Spreadsheet (Redux)
« Reply #90 on: 17 March 2019, 20:19:14 »
Around 30 minutes is where you point to the machine error checking I mentioned above.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #91 on: 18 March 2019, 10:30:01 »
Thanks again for all of your feedback. Unfortunately, I have too much other work going on in my life right now to put anymore work into this video. I did put in some of your recent feedback into my video description.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #92 on: 18 March 2019, 18:40:37 »
No worries... real life absolutely takes priority, and it's exactly why my scrub was delayed.  Thanks again for doing this!  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #93 on: 16 September 2019, 00:07:18 »
Not sure if it's due to limited knowledge or limited time, but have you ever thought about setting up drop-downs for this sheet?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #94 on: 16 September 2019, 04:01:09 »
No... Aside from not knowing how to do them, I think the lists are too long to support them in a useful way.  What exactly did you have in mind?

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: 16 September 2019, 12:55:17 »
No... Aside from not knowing how to do them, I think the lists are too long to support them in a useful way.  What exactly did you have in mind?

Well the only issues I have with the spreadsheet it the amount of typing you have to do with it.
If each of the sections could be set with a drop-down then it would be more point and click.
Not vastly important, but just another thought to try to snag players.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #96 on: 16 September 2019, 15:29:21 »
When I first built the sheet Herb (the then-line developer) asked me to minimize verbatim content.  I figured drop downs would have violated that request, so didn't look into them.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #97 on: 16 September 2019, 19:53:17 »
When I first built the sheet Herb (the then-line developer) asked me to minimize verbatim content.  I figured drop downs would have violated that request, so didn't look into them.

Oh I figured since the other Spreadsheet had them it was OK, but since you where told by Herb not to then go with that.  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #98 on: 16 September 2019, 19:57:28 »
Thanks!  I do appreciate the feedback!  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #99 on: 17 September 2019, 17:08:24 »
Thanks!  I do appreciate the feedback!  :thumbsup:

Also, I am fairly far along on a complete conversion of the 3rd edition faction schools over to AToW.
Have all the Info sorted in a excel document and just have to fine tune it.
Should have this done in a day or two, and since you have done similar work before was wondering if you wanted to take a look at the results.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #100 on: 17 September 2019, 17:40:30 »
Absolutely!  I just did a first pass at the Faction level down in Fan Rules... Would love your take on those in light of your current work...  :)

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 18 September 2019, 20:50:31 »
Hey folks, just a reminder that all fan rules/fan created content needs to stay in the "Fan Rules" section. The Sarna Academy Path posts have been moved down there.

Thanks
Bosefius
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #102 on: 16 January 2021, 10:08:56 »
Necro time!

Still having the conflict of making a Clan warrior, who had a change of clan due to losing Trial of Possession and becoming a new member.

Do I add both traits, new and old, as well the previous skills or does one supercede the other?

Help please.

( Bear to Horse : both skills and triats conflict each other... )

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #103 on: 16 January 2021, 10:34:23 »
AToW page 53 says:
Players wishing to incorporate such changes into their backstory can do so by selecting two affiliations rather than one. The first affiliation must be the one the character was born into, and the second must be the affiliation with which the character ends the creation process. The controlling player must then divide all XP values (including the purchase XP costs) for both affiliations by 2, rounding any half points down, and apply the XPs for both to all relevant Attributes, Traits and Skills. If either affiliation has restrictions noted, only those of the final affiliation apply.

Does that help?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #104 on: 16 January 2021, 10:38:20 »
Yes, I missed that somehow... it's been bugging me for years!

Thanks,
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #105 on: 16 January 2021, 10:58:25 »
No problem, glad I could help!  :thumbsup:

Cully1234

• Recruit
« Reply #106 on: 31 January 2022, 13:55:47 »
I have ran in to a couple more with the spread sheet. I cant seem to figure out how to get cell G76 and G77 to populate the info. Some of the info in the traits row didn't fill in on the traits listed, it shows #N/A in the cells in that row. Lastly, the miscellaneous checks are not balanced, I rechecked my info in the module list to the left and all the X's are filled in.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #107 on: 31 January 2022, 20:17:09 »
Can you upload your file?  I might be able to diagnose the problem this coming weekend...

Cully1234

• Recruit
« Reply #108 on: 31 January 2022, 22:52:15 »
I don't know how to up lode my Excel files? I've never done such a thing. If you have Discord or some other way of communicating, it might help. Let me know what I can do.

Thank you
« Last Edit: 31 January 2022, 22:57:43 by Cully1234 »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #109 on: 01 February 2022, 00:32:33 »
I don't know how to up lode my Excel files? I've never done such a thing. If you have Discord or some other way of communicating, it might help. Let me know what I can do.

Thank you

When writing a response look below the text window.
You will see "Attachments and other options" click on that and it will open a window then click on  choose file select the Excel file from were you have stored it and hit post.

Cully1234

• Recruit
« Reply #110 on: 01 February 2022, 03:39:35 »
I think this is it. Let me know if that didnt work.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #111 on: 01 February 2022, 04:38:30 »
Got it!  There's definitely something going on there, and I hope to figure it out this weekend.  Work is looking to be pretty intense this week.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #112 on: 01 February 2022, 04:44:42 »
So, I am curious: does this work in Open Office? Or do I have to have an Excel subscription to use?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #113 on: 01 February 2022, 17:38:08 »
When I first built it it did... I'm not sure if the evolution of Excel since then has broken any of the formulas.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #114 on: 05 February 2022, 06:31:42 »
Cully1234: It appears the formulas have lost their array aspect (normally indicated by {braces} around them; the ones that are still working still have that).  I'm going to try to fix it, and I'll post the result here.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #115 on: 05 February 2022, 06:45:05 »
The array issue was only part of the problem.  Apparently, you didn't copy the white text numbers in column D that index the attributes so the formula can look them up.  I also removed the blank Traits so the totals at the bottom would work.  Please let me know if you have any more questions!

BTW, if you ever lose an array formula, the key combination to get it back is "Ctrl-Shift-Enter".  Usually I just do the top one in a column and fill down.

Cully1234

• Recruit
« Reply #116 on: 05 February 2022, 14:24:41 »
Humm, well I was kind of thinking I did something wrong. I was a little confused on your responce. You side I did something wrong in column D. Column D is empty? Also I did the fill down method as shown in Bigrigg42 video... Maybe ill to go back and review what he did. I guess I could have did it wrong but seeing it done seemed simple enough. Thank you for all your help. If I have question in the future I know where to go now.

P.S. I do still see that the Miscellaneous Checks are not balanced. can this be explained please?
« Last Edit: 05 February 2022, 14:36:40 by Cully1234 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #117 on: 05 February 2022, 14:30:29 »
Glad I could help!  :)

The indexing numbers for the Attributes are invisible normally (I just think they're ugly and distracting).  But they are vital to the functioning of the sheet.  Excel requires things to be in order to use the LOOKUP function, and for text, that means alphabetical, not whatever arbitrary order we silly humans decide to list Attributes on a charactter sheet.  The relevant part of the Data Tables tab is E14:F22.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #118 on: 25 October 2022, 18:32:12 »
AToW just got a new printing! :excited:

One of the major changes as far as my spreadsheet goes is they dropped Tiered Skills.  This means there will be a v4.7 in the near future!  :thumbsup:

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #119 on: 26 October 2022, 19:40:38 »
Now that I kind of know how to make videos, I'm remaking my series on how to play AToW. But I don't want to remake the video over how to use this spreadsheet. I took the old video down, edited the audio (cutting out coughs and mouth clicks), then reuploaded it. Is this old video still good or should I scrap it?
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlnyBLG4RpM&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qLTa-BQbf8qSxF3T_NSDVOV&index=8

Register