Author Topic: Warship Discussion: Potemkin class  (Read 17573 times)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: Warship Discussion: Potemkin class
« Reply #90 on: 05 December 2018, 19:39:27 »
Nah, I'm rather certain the first post just disappeared.

What does a Potemkin bring to the table that a few jumpships with droppers couldn't accomplish?
It's not fast reaction with low speed and no battery...
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #91 on: 05 December 2018, 19:48:15 »
It takes more than a "few" typical jumpships to match the lift capacity of a Potemkin (either the twenty five collars or the hundreds of thousands of tons of internal cargo space).

Aside from that... shoot back?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #92 on: 05 December 2018, 22:06:27 »
Nah, I'm rather certain the first post just disappeared.
In that case...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #93 on: 09 December 2018, 07:35:47 »
The main thread is here :)

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63210.msg1453310#msg1453310

I made some jokes about the art of the 3057 Potemkin and got rightfully rapped across the knuckles for them  :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 09 December 2018, 17:15:32 »
A pity, really, but such is life.

Given we were already talking about using the Potemkin for disaster relief, how much benefit can "shooting back" be?
I can't think of too many natural disasters that could be mitigated by naval grade PPCs, of the op of my head.
Though I suppose the cargo space is agreeable.
An argument that just came to me, though, is availability.
Given that the troop moving needs in BT, what with the ridiculously small armies, won't tax the fleet at all, a Potemkin with a half dozen droppers can probably depart to wherever she's needed within a few hours. However long it takes to load the necessary supplies, really. Or faster, if they are loaded in another system while spooling up for the next jump.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #95 on: 09 December 2018, 19:22:30 »
A pity, really, but such is life.

Given we were already talking about using the Potemkin for disaster relief, how much benefit can "shooting back" be?
I can't think of too many natural disasters that could be mitigated by naval grade PPCs, of the op of my head.
Though I suppose the cargo space is agreeable.
An argument that just came to me, though, is availability.
Given that the troop moving needs in BT, what with the ridiculously small armies, won't tax the fleet at all, a Potemkin with a half dozen droppers can probably depart to wherever she's needed within a few hours. However long it takes to load the necessary supplies, really. Or faster, if they are loaded in another system while spooling up for the next jump.
The Potemkin would be able to carry more disaster relief dropships than literally any platform in existence that I know of off the top of my head. That's why it would be a decent choice for it. Massive city with billions of people just got hit with storms the planet has never seen before, leaving said untold masses homeless or helpless? Send the Potemkin. Planet with shipped-in food just lost access? Send in foreign food aid with dropship distribution centers. Natural disaster/local war caused the planet's condition to deteriorate past livable levels in a hurry? Send the Potemkin or three to assist with rapid evac.

That's what the draw, rescue wise, is; It's not that the Potemkin can kill things, it's the sheer potential of it to basically be a one-warship docking station for a veritable army of relief ships and personnel. Sure, you *could* send a small of, say, a jumpship and a few dropships, but depending, that might not be enough, or at least not enough, not fast enough.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2018, 19:25:47 by Caedis Animus »

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 09 December 2018, 19:53:47 »
That said, it would have been neat to have a fast version.
Say, 3/5 with an LF battery, at a cost in cargo and collars.
Because if you really need to help fast, the potemkin sure takes its time.
It will be quick to mobilize, though, as said.
I think for a humanitarian mission such as that, I'd probably send a battery equipped ship, if available, with the potemkin following with the main relief effort, and phone home any special needs discovered, then ship that material in with regular jumpships.

same for a variety of jobs, really, I doubt any operation besides the exodus really justifies multiples.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #97 on: 11 January 2019, 16:56:10 »
With that in mind you could argue that the SLDF is built on Peace Ships.
Sadly some of them have been better classed as a Peace of Ship.  At least the Potemkin's a good one.

That said, it would have been neat to have a fast version.
Say, 3/5 with an LF battery, at a cost in cargo and collars.
Because if you really need to help fast, the potemkin sure takes its time.
It will be quick to mobilize, though, as said.
I disagree on speeding up the Potemkin itself, since it can't travel with DropShips attached - and those droppers are very likely going faster than your 3/5 increased speed version.  If the Potemkin itself needs to get to the planet that fast, versus its DS fleet, then it's best served with a pirate point and cutting off the transit time that way.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2019, 16:58:19 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #98 on: 11 January 2019, 20:46:30 »
I disagree on speeding up the Potemkin itself, since it can't travel with DropShips attached - and those droppers are very likely going faster than your 3/5 increased speed version.  If the Potemkin itself needs to get to the planet that fast, versus its DS fleet, then it's best served with a pirate point and cutting off the transit time that way.
Once apon a time, dropships were able to travel while docked. The rule itself if i'm not mistaken was introduced with the Aerotech Revised rules set came out. 

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 12 April 2019, 21:24:19 »
So I have recently become a fan of fire mandrill kindraa mick kreese. They control two warships one of which is a Potemkin the other is a Lola iii. I am curious how you all would think the Potemkin would be used? A heavily armed hauler of raw materials and goods?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #100 on: 13 April 2019, 01:34:46 »
I suggest reading the topic and doing the search for the other one about the use in Revival.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."