Author Topic: MotW repost: Bushwacker BSW-**  (Read 28984 times)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Re: MotW repost: Bushwacker BSW-**
« Reply #30 on: 23 August 2011, 05:56:18 »
according to the "mini-TRO' in the back of the old Battletech Compendium: rules of warfare, the bushwacker was completed before the clans arrived. apparently the narrow torso design was intended to reduce the odds of it being hit by enemy fire, but the narrow design led to some problems with the XL Engine sheilding, which prevented it from being OK'd for mass production.

at least, IIRC. i wish i still knew where my old copy was, i bet the fluff could help answer some of the questions in this thread.
IIRC, didn't TRo3058 say something about the engine trouble being fixed with the study of captured clan Vultures? or was that another BC:RoW bit?

I too remember something similar but am currently too lazy to climb the flight of stairs to get to my copy of the BattleTech Compendium
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #31 on: 23 August 2011, 10:52:50 »
Standard Davion mech upgrade evaluation:
Does the mech have a RAC variant?
If yes, everything is fine.
If no, create a RAC variant.
 :P

lol totally, but to be a true davion mech it needs a RAC and a targeting computer  #P
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Ferrosol

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 24 August 2011, 05:34:36 »
lol totally, but to be a true davion mech it needs a RAC and a targeting computer  #P

don't forget the pulse lasers #P

fake edit and the fiat dispenser

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #33 on: 24 August 2011, 11:38:46 »
I don't know about a pulse laser but if you pull the LB - 20X + ammo out of the L1 you can drop in a RAC/5 + 3 tons ammo with enough tonnage leftover for a TC.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #34 on: 24 August 2011, 14:00:23 »
I love this mech. The original one, despite all the flaws, is very good as a fast fire support unit. It is very effective, just use it like the old Trebuchet... lots of movement and with careful range management.

The best part is that is very cheap, with only 1223 BV 2.0. It is one of the best bargains I know. There are few mechs that gave more bang for the buck than this little one.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #35 on: 31 July 2016, 11:35:45 »
I wanted to add that in MW4, I used to slap a light guass rifle on her (replacing the AC/10). I kept the 2x lrm5 on for purely harassment and indirect fire option.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Archer77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 31 July 2016, 14:13:52 »
Very good analasys. It was a lot of fun using it in mw3 and mc2. Heck i use one in mc2 almost to the end.

A fun mech to tinker with and play stock. Yes my fav is the L variant but the one with the srm's is fun also.

I used one even two variants to the end of MC2 :)

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 31 July 2016, 20:17:08 »
according to the "mini-TRO' in the back of the old Battletech Compendium: rules of warfare, the bushwacker was completed before the clans arrived. apparently the narrow torso design was intended to reduce the odds of it being hit by enemy fire, but the narrow design led to some problems with the XL Engine sheilding, which prevented it from being OK'd for mass production.

at least, IIRC. i wish i still knew where my old copy was, i bet the fluff could help answer some of the questions in this thread.
IIRC, didn't TRo3058 say something about the engine trouble being fixed with the study of captured clan Vultures? or was that another BC:RoW bit?

While this is late, the topic DID just get bumped.

Wasn't it the Somerset Strikers raid that got them the Vulture that they used to fix the Bushwacker's issues?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #38 on: 31 July 2016, 21:41:05 »
Wasn't it the Somerset Strikers raid that got them the Vulture that they used to fix the Bushwacker's issues?

Never specified , though it would explain why the Bushwacker was featured in the cartoon Holovid ;)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 01 August 2016, 12:54:54 »
The MUL gives the 'wacker an intro date of 53, so that's probably a good guess.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #40 on: 10 August 2016, 21:27:35 »
Aesthetically, I think the Bushwacker is great.  It's one of my favorite designs for the late invasion era.  I've run the canon variant successfully in a few games...

However I do wish there was a different model that maybe dropped the extra heat sink for some more autocannon ammo.  I do like the standard AC on the design, more so because of Alpha Strike.  Also, if the side torso armor was lowered by 2 points, rear raised 1 point, and the arms upped 1 point, it would IMO be a slight improvement considering smart armor placement.  Seems like the AC always gets tanked early.

Sometimes I wonder what the prototype variant looked like before the Clans arrived...  I've made an introtech Bushwacker that was like a Shadowhawk with an added large laser and some machine guns.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 10 August 2016, 21:31:51 »
Sometimes I wonder what the prototype variant looked like before the Clans arrived...  I've made an introtech Bushwacker that was like a Shadowhawk with an added large laser and some machine guns.
Probably like the X1 but with massively wide torso, making it awkward and probably kinda bad enough it wasn't really produced, rather than having any actual equipment differences. If i recall correctly, the narrow profile is the real innovation of the 'Mech but it could not be done due to shielding problems, until the Spheroids figured out how the Mad Dog's narrow profile was possible.
Consider the weapon's loadout: AC/10, rather than LB-10X. Pretty clear the thing was done on a limited budget or probably just not being finalized, then getting rushed to production. The Clan Invasion did cause a lot of rush-jobs, i seem to recall.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #42 on: 11 August 2016, 00:54:23 »
I love the visual aesthetic - it is very AH-64 - but I think playing MW3 really put me off the canon design
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #43 on: 23 August 2016, 16:58:47 »
MGs are the immediate upgrade option . . .

And yeah, I was surprised that MW3 was not mentioned as the big reason this mech became iconic for BT.  IMO MW3 saw more circulation than the cartoon.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 24 August 2016, 06:14:38 »
To be honest, I always really enjoyed running my Bushy in MW3.  I kept running it for ages...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #45 on: 24 August 2016, 08:17:49 »
Did we ever get a RS for the Bushwhacker Amanda Black used as part of Kathil CMM?  IIRC the MGs were stripped out for a 2nd ton of LRM ammo and a bit more armor.  She liked to pack Thunder LRMs in that 2nd ton for tactical manipulation.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #46 on: 24 August 2016, 11:13:26 »
Did we ever get a RS for the Bushwhacker Amanda Black used as part of Kathil CMM?  IIRC the MGs were stripped out for a 2nd ton of LRM ammo and a bit more armor.  She liked to pack Thunder LRMs in that 2nd ton for tactical manipulation.

Sounds like a pretty good upgrade. I can't think of having seen a sheet for it, but it does make sense. Getting an LB-10X and an extra ton of ammo in place of the standard AC would be nice as well.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #47 on: 24 August 2016, 12:21:20 »
Yeah, IMO it should have been like a after factory mod kit but we did not officially get one . . .

SgtMaj Amanda Black's set up was a personal customization IIRC and I think the book was pretty clear it was the standard AC/10.  Have to look and see if her custom became a Gauntlet config.
Colt Ward

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 26 August 2016, 01:44:03 »
I doubt there is but if there was I want one for her comrade Corp. Smiths custom Cestus as well

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 26 August 2016, 14:07:01 »
I am very fond of this mech had good luck with the BSW-S2 oddly I never used the original except in MW3

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 27 August 2016, 11:24:11 »
I really like the L-1. I used it a game where the table was gridded off and you rolled for placement of your mechs. It was to represent a night maneuver with the planet having odd electronic interference.

The Wacker got dropped almost surrounded. That LB really helped to make my oponent (Nahuris ) run for cover. It was surrounded by lights and mediums, and he didn't want to be around that boom stick.

The game set up was his idea, and it was really fun. The Wacker even survived to the end if I remember right.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 27 August 2016, 13:05:19 »
I really like the L-1. I used it a game where the table was gridded off and you rolled for placement of your mechs. It was to represent a night maneuver with the planet having odd electronic interference.

The Wacker got dropped almost surrounded. That LB really helped to make my oponent (Nahuris ) run for cover. It was surrounded by lights and mediums, and he didn't want to be around that boom stick.

The game set up was his idea, and it was really fun. The Wacker even survived to the end if I remember right.

Both the Bushwacker and the Razorback it played tag with, survived... the Talon had to flee.

The battle was based on a USCivil War battle, where the commanders from both sides had been in the same West Point Class together. During the night, they had heavy fog, which turned to light drizzle the next morning --- however, both commanders had ordered their units to spread out and sneak across a small valley towards the enemy..... due to the fog, troops got turned around, some wandered all over, and by morning, both units were spread all over the field, with some enemy troops travelling together, due to mistaken identity during the night.

So, using that, I had a FedCom Civil War battle, where both commanders were from the same class, and got the same idea --- the night had very heavy fog that would burn off right at sunrise ----- so both sides used artillery to blanket the area with small ecm pods that created a lot of background noise, similar to what was used against the clans on Wolcott. And then both units spread out to minimize noise and seismic, and went sneaking across the field.
However, as always, no plan survives contact, and under radio silence, pilots got turned around or lost ----- so you divide the battlefield up into grids, and randomly roll location and facing....... and then start.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 03 July 2018, 23:57:06 »
For my go around in MW3 I did my usual thing where I hate ammo so I replaced the AC with a PPC.  Also gave it endo steel so I could add jump jets along with some some armor and more LRM ammo.  Replaced the machine guns with a flamer too.  Worked out pretty well I think.

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 27 November 2018, 23:18:30 »
 Bit of necro here.
 Seems to me I made a MW3 mod that replaced just about everything with lasers. A second ER LLaser in the arm. 4 SLasers replacing the MGs. Mediums replacing the LRMs. I called it the Firetrap. If you alpha struck you would shut down.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #54 on: 03 January 2019, 16:31:07 »
I just noticed something: like the GRF-1N, the Bushwacker uses the Earthwerk GRF internal structure.  How?!
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #55 on: 03 January 2019, 16:50:02 »
Considering Barghest chassis is listed as Earthwork GRF Quad, I can only assume that GRF refers to the assemble line or facility rather than the mech itself.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #56 on: 03 January 2019, 17:44:23 »
Or brand name of the material- like Ford or Chevy.
Colt Ward

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #57 on: 03 January 2019, 20:49:55 »
I just noticed something: like the GRF-1N, the Bushwacker uses the Earthwerk GRF internal structure.  How?!

With a crowbar and a LOT of axle grease.  ^-^

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #58 on: 04 January 2019, 21:54:47 »
I've wanted to like the Bushwacker, but it's really just never quite sufficient.

Though throwing the LB20-X variant out is pretty hilarious given that people generally aren't even aware of that particular config.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 11 January 2019, 08:47:29 »
With a crowbar and a LOT of axle grease.  ^-^
Yeah... Just hunch the torso forward a bit and install the legs backwards.