Author Topic: Ammo Dumping and light loading  (Read 9615 times)

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
Re: Ammo Dumping and light loading
« Reply #60 on: 02 November 2018, 11:20:34 »
Yeah, you just have to accept that the idea of heirloom mechs hundreds of years old and long, long careers in the cockpit are incompatible with the TT rules. Because BTech is lethal as all get-out.

If you treat each battle as part of a RPG campaign, where you or your opponent can simply agree to a temporary truce, or accept a surrender with a small settlement, without destroying the other 'Mech, you probably wouldn't risk losing your 'Mech once the armor took a few hits, and withdraw to fight another day.  Fights to the destruction of one side or the other don't match the earlier fluff text regarding the 3SW and raiding in its aftermath, but the recovery of manufacturing techniques and plans made that the preferable answer in the 4SW.  In a pick-up battle with no "tomorrow" to worry about, it's the obvious choice.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 06 November 2018, 14:37:35 »
SW3/4, 70% of the TO&E should be lights and mediums. I've seldom played a game where that is true, heavies are most peoples tool of choice.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #62 on: 07 November 2018, 21:12:12 »
LOL!

When I was stationed at Ft. Knox, we set up a training day at one of the ranges. Req'd six M-60s and four full pallets of 7.62mm (apx. 100,000 rounds)...then some yahoo in Iraq decides to invade Kuwait and our training is canceled.

Myself and three other guys are at the range, and we call up Holder complex and inform them what's up and we want to bring the ammo and MGs back. Civilian DoD worker on the phone informs us that they do not want the ammo back and will only accept the spent brass and links.

Training ammo and fighting ammo come out of different budgets.  I can only imagine the paperwork that would be required to reclaim a pallet and the associated costs that would be involved with trying to move it around.  The DoD guy made the right choice refusing to take it back unspent.