Author Topic: New Infantry Weapon: Heavy Pulse Laser Rifle (accepting alternate names)  (Read 1536 times)

Terrace

• Lieutenant
An Inner Sphere attempt at replicating the utility of the Clan Semi-Portable Support Pulse Laser, the Heavy Pulse Laser Rifle scales up the regular Pulse Laser Rifle instead of shrinking a Support Pulse Laser, resulting in a comfortable middle ground solution that serves as an excellent replacement for the Light Support Machine Gun. Weighing 10 kilograms unloaded, the Heavy Pulse Laser Rifle has the same power requirements and hitting power per shot as a standard Laser Rifle, though the firing rate means it will drain a Satchel Battery with two full bursts. Most users typically haul around a Military Power Pack for increased firefight endurance.

Heavy Pulse Laser Rifle

Armor Piercing/Base Damage: 4E/4B
Range: 45/100/250/625 meters
Power Points per Shot: 5
Cost/Reload: 8,000/*
Mass: 10kg
Notes: Burst 10; Recoil 0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Given the clans only got the "Support Pulse Laser, Semi-Portable" down to 40 kg (at 5E/4B damage), I think 10 kg is far too light.  Compare to the Dragonsbane, which is only single use.  I'd at least go with 12 kg and Encumbering.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
So more like this?

Mass: 12kg
Notes: Burst 10; Recoil 0; Encumbering

Keep in mind that it's more of a jumbo-sized Pulse Laser Rifle, along the lines of the SLDF Mauser 960 and the Word of Blake Mauser 1200, but it sacrifices the extra features (Grenade Launcher, Bayonet, Survival Kit) in favor of simply making it hit harder at a greater distance. Come to think of it...

*checks Sarna*

Ok, given the 1200 manages to equal it in power and beat it in range while still packing those extra features, while this iteration is still heavier, I think either the range or the damage needs to be upped.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
The 1200 has half the burst rating, and the laser component is 7-8 kg, so anywhere up to 15-16 kg for the "Heavy" version wouldn't be out of line.  The important thing is to get it up to 1E at least for crew.  It's definitely a Support Weapon.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
So, move it up to 16kg unloaded, then?

According to the 1200's fluff, the pulse rate was an artificial restriction they put in because it was draining regular power packs at an unacceptable rate. But if you move up to Satchel Batteries and Military Power Packs...

And I'm not all that fussed about the range, anyway. Remember that the SLDF, Comstar, and the Word of Blake all had uninterrupted access to lostech. Makes sense there's something in the Mauser internals that regular Pulse Laser Rifles can't replicate.

With all that in mind, here's the updated stats.

Mass: 16kg
Notes: Burst 10; Recoil 0; Encumbering

The result is something like a laser version of a Portable Machine Gun. With a Military Power Pack, the soldier is hauling about 20kg of gear just for his gun. But his squadmates are sure gonna appreciate the withering hail of laser fire he can lay down.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I think Portable Machine Gun firepower is appropriate at this weight (or even a kg or two less, as long as it stays 1E).  :thumbsup:

Register