Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 198600 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
I doubt he can get them to recognize his right, but ultimately, even if he does, doesn't that just mean they're back against the falcons later, rather than sooner?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
To be honest, the title of the thread is a little... incendiary. Not trying to cause trouble, just saying.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

SteveRestless

• Major
Sadly, I lost the naming rights trial this time. Title's out of my hands.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
To be honest, the title of the thread is a little... incendiary. Not trying to cause trouble, just saying.

It was about the only thread title that received approval from the mainstream wolf fans (I am a wolf fan. But I am a Sea Fox.) Any thread title will do. Sea Fox possession rights just mean if we can insert a cute non offensive advertisement we will.

On the other hand, at the Gencon event their Khan did beat Devlin Stone in a savage wolf... and it hasn't really changed your actions Deadborder. You are upset that the Wolves think they may become Ilclan despite the evidence that they may become Ilclan.

I think we need to take a look at the fact that this is just a game and if a group of fans want to be proud that they accomplished, or may accomplish something we need to leave it be.

If they were in the falcon thread telling you that Malina hadn't accomplished some thing it would obviously he unacceptable behavior.

I am willing to change the title of the thread. If you want to make the argument that it's inflammatory for a Republic player then I could see it be an issue. If False Son was upset it would be totally understandable.

But if a Falcon Player is upset that the Wolves might become Ilclan then it is unhealthy behavior. We are one community on the battle tech forum. We aren't wolf fans and falcon fans. We are battle tech fans and we really, really don't need anything more than friendly rivalries.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Fletch

• Captain
Yep buy Savage Wolves and bash Alaric around the head with one.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Open for thread title suggestions. Rules: No Wolf teasing. No negative suggestions. That was never the point. We are adults. We CAN have fun without hurting other people's feelings.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
I know the popular belief is that Alaric's claim to the Archonship of the Lyran Commonwealth is purely a political ploy, but given that the Commonwealth seems to be teetering on the edge of the abyss, perhaps the Wolves will complete the defenestration of House Steiner and Alaric will plant his furry butt on the throne for good.

Since Alaric technically has claims to both the Elsie and FedRat halves of the sundered FedCom, my 2-bit tin-foil hat theory is that Alaric turns Terra over to Anastasia Kerensky and some Cameron leader bred off-stage from Exile Winson stock, he keeps going with Terra's resources now behind him, and he conquers what is left of FedSuns after the Cappies and Snakes have had their way with it.  At some point, a good portion of the Lyran map also gets consolidated under Alaric's paw, most of the competing Davion and Steiner lines are wiped out (accidentally or by order), and krazy Katherine has her revenge -- it's her line that sits on the two FedCom thrones for some generations to come.

The fly in this theory is that Victor S-D renounced any claim to the throne for his children.  But I'm not sure a vatborn kid bred without Vic's knowledge counts as his child, and Alaric and his Wolves won't care either way.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
To be honest, the title of the thread is a little... incendiary.

Incendiary would be "Wolf Empire: We Promise Not to Drop Warships on Our Allies".

The current thread title is just factual (at least in one GenCon tournament version of the universe), except where it pokes fun at the Wolf Clan with its humorous overselling of the Savage Wolf.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
The current thread title is just factual (at least in one GenCon tournament version of the universe), except where it pokes fun at the Wolf Clan with its humorous overselling of the Savage Wolf.

Is the savage wolf bad?  I'm not a huge fan of the rear mounted weapons in the prime, but it does have dual ERPPCs and ferro-lamellor.. 

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Is the savage wolf bad?  I'm not a huge fan of the rear mounted weapons in the prime, but it does have dual ERPPCs and ferro-lamellor..

The main issue is with the engine.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan

The Savage Wolf is amazing.

The problem is that the Savage Wolf isn't as amazing as the Mad Cat. So where the Mad Cat is the most optimized 75 ton mech in the game, the Savage Wolf... isn't.

It has Ferro-Lamellar armor, which is nice. But it has too many engine crit boxes and because of the way XXL engines create heat it becomes heat inefficient.

So in a fight against the original Timber Wolf it's got about a 45% chance to win.

The Timber Wolf isn't supposed to be in production anymore but because of a throw away line in one of the products its still kind of hanging on for dear life.

Alaric Wolf and Anastasia Kerensky pilot a Savage Wolf so its pretty popular in Clan Wolf.

SteveRestless

• Major
The Salvage Wolf is a sea fox plot to sell maintenance contracts. It's got this fancy tech on it, but mostly winds up being no more durable or long-lasting for it. Winds up being a warmer-than-average timber wolf at the end of the day.

The Wolf Mech you wanna use with FerroLam armor, is the Orion C. We don't even have official stats for it yet and STILL I feel confident in saying this. I've approximated it from the TRO3150 text about it, and I love it already. The Mad Dog IV isn't bad for Ferrolam either. Atleast so long as its pilot doesn't try something like using the prime's LBX pellets against another FL armored mech.  ;)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
The Salvage Wolf is a sea fox plot to sell maintenance contracts. It's got this fancy tech on it, but mostly winds up being no more durable or long-lasting for it. Winds up being a warmer-than-average timber wolf at the end of the day.

The Wolf Mech you wanna use with FerroLam armor, is the Orion C. We don't even have official stats for it yet and STILL I feel confident in saying this. I've approximated it from the TRO3150 text about it, and I love it already. The Mad Dog IV isn't bad for Ferrolam either. Atleast so long as its pilot doesn't try something like using the prime's LBX pellets against another FL armored mech.  ;)

The Orion C is some kind of monster. Thrashed my poor Vulture. Need a rematch on that one. The real answer of a Ferro-lam trooper that is great is the Vulture IV though. tough little guy. great trooper. The Savage Wolf is a long range fire support mech now.

What is a good buy is the Bunker II I mean, Mad Cat II with ferro-lam. I parked it in some tree's because that's as good of a defense modifier as it was going to get and it went to work.

Wendigo's are also great products. I'm very impressed.

Steve even told me those LB-x pellets weren't doing anything but I took such a long break from Battletech I kept sanding away. Actually when I realized that the Orion IIC had Ferro-lamellar armor I was in bad shape. The SRM + LBX Vulture couldn't hurt it. I hope there are more Vulture IV canon configs in the pipe soon.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
booo Salvage wolfs. The only thing savage about them is the explosion they make when you take out a side torso  ;)

If your having troubles against the Orion C,just do what i do...Punch it in the mouth with a Karhu.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
I'm also a Republic fan and player. They're my favourite IS faction. So yeah, I'd say that counts.

I've got about a 90% win rate of Mad Cat Mk IVs vs Mad Cats. The few times the original Mad Cat won usually came about due to something like a massive headshot that's pretty much in the "this could happen to anyone" category. True, my very first victory for the Cat IV also fell under the "ER PPC to the Face" rule, but the point stands.

The FL armour makes a world of difference. You're immune to LBX clusters, you halve the effect of SRMs, you turn 10-point headshooters with the risk of a crit into 8-point "not quite" hits which is a massive improvement.

And hey, you can thank Vlad for the Mad Cat's near death. He's the Sea Foxes greatest hero!
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
Its fun watching this.Is there just two Wolves in this thread.We usually have a roll call by now?
   Kitsune413 are we going to have a roll call for the Wolves.?Just curious  [watch]

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
It's a new thread so maybe it doesn't show up on updated threads. Revival trials came out and then thr Widowmaker sourcebook came out not to long ago but for anybody interested in new battletech or Ilclan it's been two years since the story has gone anywhere.

3150 has some snippets and that generated some new posts in each thread. But most people have already seen the mechs.

Handbook House Kurita came out this year but everything else is an XTRO or a turning point.

The good news is that they really seem to have everything in order now and the new harebrained schemes game might be a good cross promotional product. So the bright side is that everything may get better soon. But the negative side is that people haven't had a lot to get excited about.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
It shows up alright.

I'm a Wolf fan, by virtue of being an Ulric Kerensky fan.  Just to be clear.

But I like the Jade Falcons too.  I see both sides of the debate, mostly.  Malvina has me wondering, but at least she's bringing excitement to the universe in her own special atrocious way.

But now we have the Wolves led by the B. Son of Every Clanner* and Spheroid Nightmare come to life and power.  It's attractive plot... but I wonder what's the catch?  Is this how the IlClan struggle begins?  I guess so.  If what we think we know is even half correct.

*Not the Homies.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2015, 20:50:23 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
I like the Falcons Emblem and I like the Falcons mechs. Summoners, thors and Kit Foxes are adorable. I don't care for their bird totem mech. But they just aren't liberal enough for me. Which put Clan Wolf in the lead by a mile for me.

But I've used the name Kitsune for far more than the majority of my life so I have a fox totem spirit. But by the time of the Jihad the Diamond Sharks were already becoming impossible to ignore.

I like the Falcons. I pretty much like all of the remaining clans and there were only some home clans I didn't like before. The Falcons don't chew on their own spent bullet casings as much as the Smoke Jaguars did though. So for me the crazy conservative clan of choice are those dead guys.

Anyways. This isn't the, "What do Sea Foxes think of other clans?" Thread. This is the Wolf Thread.

The title is up for consideration. Gotta get the Wolves and the Sea Fox PR guys in on it.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
It's attractive plot... but I wonder what's the catch?

Perhaps the assumption that the ilClanship is as simple as it has been professed?  You really think all the Clans are going to fall in lock step just because Alaric takes Terra?

Assuming that he does...
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Perhaps the assumption that the ilClanship is as simple as it has been professed?  You really think all the Clans are going to fall in lock step just because Alaric takes Terra?

Assuming that he does...

I do. Wait? Is it 3052? No. Nevermind.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
I'm a Wolf fan, by virtue of being an Ulric Kerensky fan.  Just to be clear

Yeah. Ulric is my favorite magnificent bastard in the series. Well. And Focht. Those two are a Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman movie.

But I like the Jade Falcons too.  I see both sides of the debate, mostly.  Malvina has me wondering, but at least she's bringing excitement to the universe in her own special atrocious way.

Malvina versus Tucker Harwell in the cage!!! Tune in 3155!

SteveRestless

• Major

Assuming that he does...

Not in the slightest!

All I expect it will mean is "This Clan has Conquered Terra, and gets the bragging rights of having conquered Terra."

I don't expect the other clans to do anything other than for one to try and dispute their claim immediately after. I don't think it means they're king of the clans and get to start bossing the others around, I don't think it'll mean the fight is over, but I do think that they'll have the biggest baddest bragging rights in all of clandom.

Terra is worth having for virtue of being Terra, not because it magically makes all the other clans listen to you (which would be ridiculous). One look at how little the Council of Six has ever accomplished shows how much it's going to mean as far as commanding other clans (not a damn thing).

GarageBay9

• Sergeant
Its fun watching this.Is there just two Wolves in this thread.We usually have a roll call by now?
   Kitsune413 are we going to have a roll call for the Wolves.?Just curious  [watch]

There are technically three, but none of them send me Founder's Day cards anymore.  Cheapskates refuse to cough up postage to the ARDC.

(...and I forgot to leave a forwarding address when we evacuated.   #P)

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
Actually, I think the title of Ilclan would mean something.  I think the Hell’s Horses would fall in line.  Probably the Ghost Bears as long as the leader is not totally crazy.  And I think the Sea Foxes and Snow Ravens would acknowledge the new Ilkhan – though politically and militarily they’ve both faded to irrelevance.

So I think it comes down to the Jade Falcons and Wolves.  Alaric would probably try to assassinate and replace any new Ilkhan, and Malvina would go nuts.  Literally only over her dead body – and I don’t see the Bears or Wolves following her.  So she would have to straight-up win a war with those clans to enforce her claim. 

As painful as it is for me to say, I think, the way the characters have been presented in the novels, that Alaric is the only Ilclan candidate with the vision to rule the IS.  He was raised clan, and understands the culture, but sees himself as above the clans.  I could see Alaric claiming Ilclan, and then using that position to convince the great houses into acknowledging him as first lord of a new star league.  Of course there’s always the possibility of a major plot twist, so who knows…

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Politically and militarily the Sea Foxes and Snow Ravens are Irrelevant?

The Snow Ravens are making territorial gains and if you are waging war in the Inner Sphere you are strengthening Clan Sea Foxes military and political power. I'm not sure if you've been paying attention since 3130... but... everyone is at war.

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
Allow me to expand and clarify my remarks.  And bear in mind I’m not trying to upset anyone. 

I understand that the Sea Foxes are making money.   But militarily they are dispersed through the IS to protect their caravans.  I don’t see a way for them to seriously help or hinder a claimant to the Ilclan-ship.  They aren’t going to bribe their way to the top after all.

Same for the Ravens.  They have taken some planets from the FedSuns, but being so isolated from the rest of the clans, they are more likely to be one of the periphery nations conquered in the next reunification war than having any influence over the Ilclan-ship or next Star League. 

SteveRestless

• Major
The Sea Foxes are already stated as assisting the Wolves, not through military might, but supplying them mechs. And really, that's the best thing they can do to help them. It wouldn't really count for bragging rights if the Wolves didn't take Terra themselves. If they acknowlege the Wolves as ilClan (which I suspect they would at least consider, if they could see some advantage in it(such as getting some Terran Real-estate)) I still don't see it being a "we become totally subservient" thing.

OTOH, if we read the April Fools Day ilClan Outline non-literally, it could foreshadow the Sea Foxes becoming the mercantile branch of the ilClan's Third Star League.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Yeah. What a terrible way for a clan to die.

As far as becoming Ilclan is concerned Alaric is the one who put that in everyones head to begin with as a ruse to move Clan Wolf to the Wolf Empire. But now that everybody has pressed within jumping distance how would Clan Sea Fox become Ilclan? We would take our fleets and go there. Whether it is likely that we would or not is another story. But Clan Sea Fox can pretty easily land it's clusters on Terra. All of our clusters are in everyone else's territory anyways.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2015, 16:54:34 by Kitsune413 »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
I understand that the Sea Foxes are making money.   But militarily they are dispersed through the IS to protect their caravans.  I don’t see a way for them to seriously help or hinder a claimant to the Ilclan-ship.  They aren’t going to bribe their way to the top after all.

Same for the Ravens.  They have taken some planets from the FedSuns, but being so isolated from the rest of the clans, they are more likely to be one of the periphery nations conquered in the next reunification war than having any influence over the Ilclan-ship or next Star League.

Between the Foxes' arcships and the Ravens' warships, I'd be surprised if they don't both play a significant role in bringing the ilClan to power.  Mobile military manufacturing would be a great asset for upping the pace of and sustaining an invasion.  And the importance of the only substantial warship fleet left outside the Clan Homeworlds can't be underestimated.

We know Anastasia has worked at least one Khanate -- some of the others almost certainly for sale.  And the Ravens would probably welcome a alliance that grants them access to the kinds of resources they have to scrounge for in the Outworlds.

From Alaric's perspective, I'd argue that the Foxes and Ravens are the most important and most likely Clans the Wolves would cooperate with to take the Republic and Terra (if that's how the ilClan comes about).  The Horses can always be sicced on the Falcons to keep the Wolves' traditional enemies sidelined, and the Bears just have to not be angered to keep them inward-looking.

Register