Author Topic: A Toreel Wizard in Prince Davion's Court  (Read 39024 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: A Toreel Wizard in Prince Davion's Court
« Reply #30 on: 07 July 2020, 19:26:32 »
Or an awesome one!

And you feel fine? ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #31 on: 08 July 2020, 04:18:37 »
"Grav deck secured. All other stations reporting ready for jump."

"Very well," Doug said. "We have eyes on our passengers?"

Dave, the security chief occupying a station on the other side of the bridge, nodded. "Boobs, Tiny, and the old man are in their quarters. Their cat is napping in the galley. No sign they're up to anything."

"All right," Doug said. After eight days of recharging without incident, he'd finally decided to concede he had no reason to suspect them of foul play. Still, little precautions like making sure they weren't summoning monsters or something didn't hurt. "Let's keep those nicknames out of the log, Dave."

"Aye sir," the security chief acknowledged.

Doug took a deep breath. This was... well... the moment.

"Sound the tones, initiate sequence."

----

Unbeknownst to either the ship's crew or their passengers, a rat moved through their corridors, keeping to the shadows, avoiding prying eyes with more intelligence than any of the others this ancient, well worn vessels played host to.

His worshipers and minions on Toreel had long watched the kingdom of Vaslen and the Archmage that had thwarted them so many times. So many times they'd attempted to end her meddling only for her to escape their traps or defeat their agents.

The great game he had played with her had left him with so many frustrations, so many moments with victory nearly in his grasp only for it to be snatched away from him by luck or pluck or her pitiful "friends".

But then word had come to him in his black fortress of pain in the Nine Hells that the Archmage was leaving Toreel behind. That she would be travelling beyond the horizon and possibly never returning.

It had been a time to rejoice! With the meddlesome Archmage gone, none would stand in the way of his nefarious plans. His barons and advisors relished the news!

But he saw through it all. He saw the Archmage's action for what it was, a most terrible insult. So many battles for the fate of an entire world, and now she was simply leaving. She was simply abandoning their hatred for each other!

This would not stand, so he led his host of fiends forth from the pit of hate into the astral after them. The movement of so many foul denizens of the nine hells rousing a chorus of angels to descend from the heavens themselves to block their way. Many of his fiendish minions fell in the battle that followed, but it mattered not as the survivors rushed onwards, towards the convergence in the astral plane and the ship that threatened to carry away his greatest adversary.

The ship was gone when he arrived, and most of his surviving minions would fall to a strange being that seemed to be protecting the convergence, but he did not stop. With seven of his most powerful devils behind him, he plunged into the convergence.

Passing through, he felt himself begin to unravel, as though his form, any form, could not exist in the swirling chaos beyond. His last minions were gone in either an instant or an eternity, it was only through his own tremendous will that he could hold any semblance of mind or form long enough to utter one last begging plea, one last wish to the Archduke of Hell himself. Take me to her, do not let her escape me, do not let my rage die in vain!

When his senses returned he found himself in this state. The form of a tiny, insignificant creature. But he still lived. His mind remained. His powers... were locked away by his form. But his fiendish nature remained. And he had seen them, his old adversary and her companions traveling these very corridors. The Archduke had granted his wish. For now he could observe, plot, and scheme, until the time was right.

Beware, Archmage Chimkin of the House of McNuggNugg, your greatest enemy the Devil Lord Ez'etim'ibe, will have his revenge.

But what was that infernal ringing.... Oh shi...!

Discontinuity
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 08 July 2020, 05:22:35 »
Well, at least the cat makes sense now...  ^-^

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #33 on: 08 July 2020, 09:05:52 »
Now for the other shoe to drop.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 08 July 2020, 23:39:50 »
Somewhere in the colliding morass of unreality that washed around Polly, the phrase "It's uncomfortably like being drunk" seemed to go by, just long enough for him to get a good look at it. He didn't have any context, and wasn't sure that context was actually a thing that existed, but he did feel a strange kinship with it as it past.

(Should that have been passed? Polly figured one worked as well as the other)

There were other things strolling on by. "The forces of evil have been dealt a great blow this day." "The cunning of the archmage shall never be matched." "She shall ever be a martyr."

Hang on, cunning?

"Of course. Sacrifice yourselves to bait a devil lord into hurling himself into a void of unreality, removing a great and terrible threat from the universe. To have constructed such a strategy, such convincing bait that even the Heavens could not divine her intentions..."

What on Celestia are you on about?

"You know very well what I'm on... wait, who is this?"

Who is this? Aren't you an archangel? Don't you know?

"Polly, is that you? Are you still out there?"

Pretty far out, I think. Too many of those canned sardine things before my mid afternoon nap again. Messed me up bad last time too.

"Polly, you're not dreaming."

The concept of the color blue is dancing over in the corner of yersterday and the speed of an unladen swallow right now. I'm pretty sure I am.

"Polly, no, that plane, that space beyond the convergence, it... It can't exist. It's the personification of true unreality. If you've somehow managed to maintain a coherent form... Polly, was this part of the Archmage's plan?"

What PLAN?

In an instant, unreality smashed back into him like a torrent of chaos in reverse, conflicting thoughts, physical properties, and natural forces smashing together into concrete reality. Polly opened his eyes to see the ship's galley around him, same as he'd left it. Memories of his dream lingered.

"Plan," he said before checking his food dish and finding it empty. "They think we had a plan. Oh, somebody up there is going to be so disappointed."

----

In their cabin, L'heo waited politely for Chim to stop vomiting before he spoke. The experience of the jump had been deeply unpleasant for him as well, of course, but he was simply more robust that the tiny gnome.

"That was... enlightening," he said. "The first time was too much of a shock to notice, but..."

"Yeah," Chim said as she began cleaning herself up. "It makes you think, doesn't it? Nothing, or at least nothing we have the understanding to even recognize as something, could survive out there. I don't even think the concept of survival could exist out there. There's no higher planes, no order, no structure of any kind. It's true, pure chaos, so chaotic that it's everything and nothing all at once and you can't really tell the difference. They can only pass through it because their ship imposes structure around it long enough to make it through."

"Thus the teleportation spell," L'heo said.

"Yeah," Chim said. "We can't just pop in to that plane and pop out again like we might normally do. Even if we could attune a focus to try, we almost certainly wouldn't make it out. I might have a way around, but if I'm wrong, poof! Whoever tries ceases to exist. Brute force teleportation is the only real safe choice."

"It makes sense," L'heo said. "I have to wonder, though, how could our two realities be so different? I'm not certain which question is more intriguing. How could a living reality come into being without any higher dimensional structure at all, or why did ours come into being with one."

"Ugg," Chim said in response. "That's the sort of thinking that gets me tied to posts and set on fire."

-----

There is a common myth among the uninformed that rats actually cry blood when stressed. This isn't actually true, of course. The reddish discharge is a secretion called porphyrin, and it's not harmful, but it is a sign that your rat is stressed, so maybe try not to be such a jerk to it, you jerk.

Fiendish rats are an exception to this. They actually do cry blood, most likely because Great Modeus, Archduke of the nine hells, figured it would be appropriate to their aesthetic. What this meant was that deep in the bowels of the ship, there was currently a fiendish rat crying tears of blood after having once again glimpsed the abyss of insanity.

"I don't want to be here anymore."
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #35 on: 08 July 2020, 23:51:44 »
Well at least they are in the wrong region of space for all the truly terrible ideas running through my head right now.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #36 on: 08 July 2020, 23:56:19 »
I am confused. Battletech's universe is unstructured chaos or hyperspace is? Or does the Battletech universe merely lack higher planes?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #37 on: 09 July 2020, 00:10:00 »
I understood it that hyperspace was the chaos.

The rest is one hell of a rabbit hole to go down for Pathfinder cosmology and is something Liam's Ghost being the man with the plan will have to answer.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 09 July 2020, 00:13:05 »
They're specifically talking about hyperspace, or at least what they perceive during the jumps. Basically how it feels to them, based on their experience traveling other planes back home.

How right or wrong they are remains to be seen.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 09 July 2020, 05:13:12 »
It's sufficient to make an archfiend miserable, so it can't be all bad...  :D

thtadthtshldntb

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 09 July 2020, 05:48:25 »
I am confused. Battletech's universe is unstructured chaos or hyperspace is? Or does the Battletech universe merely lack higher planes?

They are experiencing among other things, cognitive dissonance. Essentially they expected that they understood higher reality and all higher reality was like theirs back home. Its not, so its disturbing them.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #41 on: 09 July 2020, 07:13:32 »
When they get back, can the archimage cast incinerate on Catherine and Victor, please?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 09 July 2020, 22:30:58 »
Excerpts from Archmage Chimkin McNuggNugg's private journal
Second recharging cycle

What planar experiments I can safely conduct continue. The good news is that we are not completely cut off from the higher planes we're familiar with. Polly remains able to contact his superiors in his home plane, and Celia still receives her divinely granted abilities. Though losing access to those abilities would be inconvenient, it appears that this was more reassuring to the people back home, who it turns out had believed we were all dead... or rather non-existent, based on their own examination of the convergence we passed through.

The bad news is tangible interaction is impossible. An attempt was made to create a small gate directly to Elysium (Polly's request, as he is running short of his most favored treats). Our first three attempts not only failed, but apparently caused the crew some concern. Once all the shouting stopped, we worked out that planar magic doesn't interact well with this ship's core, and their computing devices were complaining a great deal about our attempts.

After discussing things with Captain Doug, our second round of attempts took place well away from the ship. This took several days, primarily due to how hard it is to get the gestures right when you're in an ill fitting suit floating in a void with no sense of up and down. However, I am confident that I successfully cast the spell at least twice, with no result. Our hypothesis is that while we are still able to communicate with our home planes, possibly through the convergences that allowed us to pass into this reality, higher order transit is impossible.

Additional note: After learning how the crew uses thrusters to move around in space and the underlying physical principles around it, I took one of the decanters of endless water out with me on a space walk. The result was very difficult to control, but also extremely fun.

Third Recharging Cycle

After watching me clean up the unfortunate side affects of our last jump, one of the crew asked me where the stuff goes after we clean it up. Surprisingly I didn't have an answer for her until after an hour of looking it up in my texts (it's supposed to be ejected into an outer plane, so I guess in this case back into what they call hyperspace). After I answered her question, I mentioned how it's strange how we just accept certain things without bothering to understand them. She agreed and said she felt the same way about something called "battlemechs".

I wonder what those are?

To occupy myself I have begun magically mending worn parts at the direction of the ship's engineering team. I don't know if dad would be proud or would have already climaxed himself into a coma over all this remarkable machinery.

Fifth Recharging Cycle

Celia is becoming friendly with one of the male crew. She's become quite at ease aboardship, even to the point of not always wearing her armor. The spartan discipline of shipboard life agrees with her, and she maintains that she can find no evil among the crew. They are all, in her eyes, good men and women.

L'heo and I have been wondering about that. If our theory about this reality's higher planes (or the lack of them) is correct, can we be sure that objective evil exists here?

I'm worried our dear sweet naive girl isn't ready for a world where she can't discern a person's ill desires at a glance.

Adendum: Several crewmen in the galley have declared me Queen of the Ship upon discovering that I can add flavor to the food at will. It appears to be an honorary title.

Eighth Recharging Cycle

It appears a rat has chewed up the last volume of the eight part Romance of the Lilly Maidens that I had brought with me to read on our journey. The book is a complete loss, beyond my ability to mend it. Captain Doug insists that he won't turn the ship around just because I really really want to know how the story ends.

I have assigned Polly the task of hunting down the rat, but he seems disinterested.

Tenth Recharging Cycle

I have exhausted the ship's library of popular fiction. Moving on to historical texts.

Fifteenth Recharging Cycle

But why didn't he just shoot Amaris?

Nineteenth Recharge Cycle

I AM SO BORED!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 09 July 2020, 22:49:49 »
"Chimkin McNuggNugg"?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #44 on: 09 July 2020, 22:52:58 »
A bored gnome is dangerous no matter what the character class...

- Herb

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #45 on: 09 July 2020, 22:56:44 »
"Chimkin McNuggNugg"?

I run the odd game of Pathfinder for Liam's Ghost and some other friends.

I'm pretty used to such names.

Of course it also helps I've had some 'interesting' ones myself.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 10 July 2020, 02:06:53 »
"Chimkin McNuggNugg"?

It only sounds weird to us.  :P

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 10 July 2020, 05:23:08 »
Gnomes have very different standards...  :D

smdvogrin

• Corporal
« Reply #48 on: 10 July 2020, 08:47:28 »
Additional note: After learning how the crew uses thrusters to move around in space and the underlying physical principles around it, I took one of the decanters of endless water out with me on a space walk. The result was very difficult to control, but also extremely fun.

Glorious!

Now, I wonder if the captain has heard about this, and has approached her on the subject of free, unlimited reaction mass...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 10 July 2020, 08:50:32 »
Not to mention what one could do for any dry planet you could name...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #50 on: 10 July 2020, 09:47:32 »
They have two options for free reaction mass.

Clerics have a cantrip that they can cast an unlimited number of times a day called Create Water.

And if the Cleric with Chim is as high level as she is they could easily get a cult following going with some of the options available to them.

Kujo

• Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 10 July 2020, 18:29:37 »
What are the odds of the Honorable Archmage Chimkin McNuggnugg after seeing the wondrous machines and tech of House Davion and the Federated Suns/Commonwealth try to scry for other such worlds (and other such depressing endless wars...) and try to find a noble Gnome civilization like the Suns, say a city like Gnomeregan from World of Warcraft...

Alignment wise I would guess all are Chaotic Good and Neutral good, none seem to be 'overly' lawful and they foes were devils not demons for all that is worth...

Good story so far, no blocks of text just digestible pieces of golden nuggets of story with delightful bits of sauce in which they are dipped... :-)
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 11 July 2020, 03:35:52 »
Twenty-First Recharge Cycle
October 9, 3025

She'd moved into an unused cargo bay on the ship sometime during the last recharge cycle, where she could work on things in peace. L'heo had managed to convince both the crew and their companions that it was probably best to let her have some space to work things out.

Though Celia stood guard outside the door, nobody had actually gone in since, and Chim only came out briefly for meals. It was probably best to check on her.

Celia nodded as he approached, though the paladin looked particularly sullen about something. Rumors around the card table said she'd had a fight with the man she'd grown close to. L'heo obviously wanted nothing to do with that, so he'd consciously decided not to inquire further.

Slipping into the cargo bay, L'heo could immediately see that Chim had been doing some redecorating. Piping snaked across the deck, haphazardly rigged up and fused together into what he vaguely recognized as a makeshift alchemical rig the size of a comfortable cottage.

"You've been busy," he said. "Where did you get the materials for all of this?"

"Around," Chim said as she was adding the contents of a can labeled industrial lubricant into a drum. "Stuff nobody needed." The lights in the bay seemed to flicker for a moment in emphasis.

"Are you sure about that?" L'heo asked.

"If not, I'm sure the captain would have said something by now," Chim replied. "Walter, tea for our visitor!"

L'heo was startled to hear the clank of something approaching from behind. As he turned he saw a metal framework in the shape of a man, like the ones the crew used to shift heavy (or rather massive) loads around, walking towards him carrying a drinking bulb. Except this one wasn't being worn by a crewman.

The framwork extended the hand holding the drinking bulb. "Careful sir," it said with a posh accent from no discernible place on its structure, "it is quite hot."

L'heo accepted the bulb and looked back to Chim. "You don't think they'll want him back?" he asked, then nodded towards the barrel Chim was focused on. "What are you making?"

"If I did it right," Chim said, still not looking up from her work, "It's something they call inferno gel. Sort of like alchemist fire, except it's thicker, won't spread as readily, but it'll burn hotter and stick to people better."

L'heo didn't feel particularly surprised. "Is there a reason you're making it?"

"I could get my hands on the ingredients, mostly," Chim replied, then absently waved a hand towards the stack of other containers at one end of the bay. "I already made everything else I could."

L'heo winced. Chim's father had a habit of building self-replicating clockwork constructs when he was bored. Chim hadn't inherited his mechanical aptitude, but his tendencies were still there, and she had inherited her mother's alchemical knack. "Perhaps I could tear you away from this for a moment?"

Chim rolled her eyes. "For what? Cleaning up vomit? Making food taste like food? Reading a book or watching a movie I've only seen half a dozen times? Staring out into the same great big empty I've been looking at for half a year? Maybe there's a particularly fascinating ball of burning gas or a dead rock for me to see."

"I was thinking a living rock, actually," L'heo said with a smile.

Chim spun around to look at L'heo, her eyes wide like saucers. "You mean..."

"Yes," L'heo confirmed. "It appears we've arrived at our first inhabited system. Some place called Euschelus. How about a change of scenery?"

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 11 July 2020, 08:27:08 »
Welcome to the Taurian Concordat eh?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #54 on: 11 July 2020, 09:32:36 »
No good can come from this. :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 11 July 2020, 09:53:18 »
It might not be good, but it'll certainly be fun to watch!  :D

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 11 July 2020, 20:30:38 »
Great story concept. I've long been interested in fantasy/Battletech crossovers.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2020, 20:36:28 by Hellfire »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 12 July 2020, 20:30:10 »
"No, absolutely not!" Doug said incredulously.

"You're sending your crew ashore for what you specifically called 'much needed R&R'." L'heo replied. "Unless I misunderstood, this 'rest and recreation' would benefit us as much as your people. Maybe more. We aren't used to space travel."

"But my people are normal!" Doug protested. "You're going to draw attention to yourselves. You're going to stand out, you don't know how to act."

"I've had nothing to do but read about your people for the last two months," Chim chimed up. "And we've been interacting with your crew all this time. They'll just see a man and his two Canopean travelling companions."

Doug could feel the headache building, having a good idea particularly which books Chim would have gotten her idea about 'Canopean girls'. Lonely men and women trapped on spacecraft for months on end didn't exactly bring along anthropology books. "You stand out whenever you open your mouths," he said.

"Oh, that," Chim said. She paused for a moment. "Is this better?"

Doug blinked, surprised. After months of her 'badly dubbed Capellan film' speech patterns, hearing her speaking in (even accented) normal, non magical English was startling. "When did you learn..."

"I have had a LOT of time on my hands," Chim replied. "L'heo speaks it better than I can."

"I don't like to brag," L'heo said flawlessly. "Just picked it up playing cards with the crew."

Doug rested his head on his hand. "And the other one?"

Chim shook her head. "Celia doesn't speak English, but her Elvish should just seem like a foreign..."

"It's French," Dave the security chief broke into the conversation. "She speaks French."

Doug looked over, surprised, his expression matched by both Chim and L'heo.

"What do you mean?" Chim asked first.

"I've... uh..." Dave looked deeply embarrassed. "I've heard her speak it when we were... umm... talking. Elvish is French."

Chim was shocked. L'heo seemed to be smirking at the idea that they were 'talking'.

Doug felt like his headache was getting a friend. "Dave..."

"We have common interests!" Dave insisted. "Security things!"

Chim reached forward and grabbed Dave, probably trying to pull him down to her eye level, but in the microgravity only managing to pull herself up.

"LaH jIHvaD Dayaj'a'?" she barked out while also clinging to his jumpsuit to keep herself from coasting into the overhead. Dave looked at her in a panic before looking over to the others.

"I don't think he understands you," L'heo said.

"I just speak a little French," Dave said. "That's all!"

Chim seemed to calm down, and with a little help was soon back with her grip shoes planted on the deck. "I have this horrible feeling that God is a lie," she said, her face looking to Doug like someone had taken her favorite stuffed toy away.

(She was never not going to look like a child to him)

There was a moment's pause before L'heo broke the silence. "So," he said. "Can we go?"

Doug shook his head. "Is she going to grab passers by and yell gibberish at them?"

L'heo looked down at Chim and back up at Doug. "Maybe a little?"

"I am so going to regret this," Doug said, then threw up his hands. "If you can promise that cat won't start talking to people..."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 12 July 2020, 20:33:33 »
I see absolutely no way this could go wrong...  :D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 12 July 2020, 21:06:54 »
Jude t all the infinitely improbable ways it can go wrong.

Register