Author Topic: Gunsmith Scaling...  (Read 4056 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Gunsmith Scaling...
« on: 10 July 2020, 10:35:05 »
Question for those of you out there that have a Gunsmith.

How is the scaling compared to the new Beginner's Box/AGoAC/Clan Kickstarter minis?  I've been thinking about grabbing one to practice a paint scheme and just wanted to hear what you all thought about them?

Luciora

• Major
Re: Gunsmith Scaling...
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2020, 10:51:55 »
Small detailed parts, but decent spacing makes painting it not difficult.  I cam have a comparison shot later after work.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2020, 10:56:03 »
Assembly is a little scary for me too.  I'm just getting back into the hobby.  How was it on the Gunsmith?

Thanks for the pic, btw.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2020, 10:57:50 »
Wasn't too hard from what I remember.  This is my second one as well.

Assembly is a little scary for me too.  I'm just getting back into the hobby.  How was it on the Gunsmith?

Thanks for the pic, btw.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2020, 11:07:37 »
here's a picture of the blister i found on ebay

looks like two-piece arms (upper/shoulder, lower) and three-piece legs (upper, lower, feet). head is separate, though i don't recall it being a tough one comparatively. i'd put it on the mid to high side of moderately difficult for someone with limited experience.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2020, 13:34:25 »
A quick cell phone picture. No idea why it got rotated like that. Hope it helps...
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2020, 13:37:22 »
Hot damn that scaling looks great!  Now to decide if I'm good enough with super glue to actually assemble a mini....

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2020, 14:30:17 »
The size is good and it is a nice match for the new Box Set Mechs. Also, it is gorgeous and has a ton of details.

Hot damn that scaling looks great!  Now to decide if I'm good enough with super glue to actually assemble a mini....

It is not that hard. Clean the miniature with soap and a brush first. Then test the joints if they are ok. If they are not, file the joints until the pieces meet well. That mini wasn't hard to glue, so don't worry about it. If you have issues with superglue, just pour a little over a plastic surface and use a toothpick to put it in the joints.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2020, 16:13:29 »
Do you ever use green stuff instead of super glue? I have a Marauder IIC sculpt that is physically impossible to superglue together, and tried green stuff.  I can imagine getting decent at it, and appreciate how slowly it sets, but it seems very messy compared to super glue.

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2020, 16:16:02 »
Do you ever use green stuff instead of super glue? I have a Marauder IIC sculpt that is physically impossible to superglue together, and tried green stuff.  I can imagine getting decent at it, and appreciate how slowly it sets, but it seems very messy compared to super glue.
have you tried pinning? Drilling a small hole on both sides of the joint and then using a bit of a paperclip and glue or something to pin it?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2020, 16:49:19 »

the Vulture and Mad Cat IV refused to stay together for me until i pinned them. same with the arms on the reseen warhammers. otherwise i have had very few regluing problems outside the carnage of moving the collection cross-country. the gunsmith has definitely been fine with just glue for me.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2020, 17:27:59 »
have you tried pinning? Drilling a small hole on both sides of the joint and then using a bit of a paperclip and glue or something to pin it?

the Vulture and Mad Cat IV refused to stay together for me until i pinned them. same with the arms on the reseen warhammers. otherwise i have had very few regluing problems outside the carnage of moving the collection cross-country. the gunsmith has definitely been fine with just glue for me.

I have not pinned, despite having a little hand drill I use to embiggen holes. That is a great idea, I will give it a shot. Thanks guys!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2020, 09:22:36 »

I felt the same way you did . . . because of TRO67 & PP, I bought minis at that point . . . tons of little bits that could end up all sorts of ways.  After putting together a Solitaire, I put the PP Marauder, Marauder IIC, and Scylla into ziplocks to wait . . . for over a decade based on my moving!  When I started playing again at a table and getting new minis I bought stuff with no more than 3 or 4 pieces.  Then came '45/50 and some of them were so nice looking while I wanted to put them on the table.  I started checking . . . and the new ones are much better built for assembly.  The ONLY problem I have had with recent minis is the Havoc P6- I cannot get the butt flaps to stay and so I abandoned them.  But the Juliano has a LOT of parts, easy to put together- mine has a dynamic running pose.

I recently got a handle with two gripper arms that lets me position pieces on a base as it builds and holds them in place while the glue dries.  I was cranking out minis after I got that, put together over a dozen in the space of two weeks.  I could glue 6 pieces a day- 2 before work, 2 after work and 2 before bed- without even trying.  If I was home it was more like 10 or 12 pieces.  Went through a lot of the minis that were still in blisters or ziplocks from IWM.  Now I am down to stuff I want to try some more radical changes- like cutting legs free of the bases on the Starslayer & Falconer.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."