Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 6  (Read 141135 times)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 6
« Reply #1440 on: 28 May 2020, 19:02:37 »
I need to hunt down a good tablet or reader for PDFs.  My old tablet crapped out awhile ago.   :'(  Probably should wait until after the doctor and physical therapy bills show up though...

If you have access to Best Buy stores; Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 inch (2018-2019 model) for under $200 on sale. It's what I'm typing on right now!! I use it so much more than my laptop these days!

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1441 on: 28 May 2020, 19:27:26 »
Wait... Shrapnel came out?

I never got a notification for that. I still haven't gotten my download code for Redemption and Malice even after contacting through the Kickstarter for it.

And I thought there was supposed to be a portal for submitting short stories to Shrapnel. I saw no notification for that either. All the updates I've seen have been for 3D renders and new maps.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1442 on: 28 May 2020, 19:31:03 »
I think the notifications are just slowly rolling out.  I got mine tonight, not long after complaining about not getting it yet...

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1443 on: 28 May 2020, 19:35:12 »
We'll see. I'll wait a bit, but it is frustrating that this is where things are at still. I wrote something hoping to get it in to Shrapnel; guess it'll have to wait.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1444 on: 28 May 2020, 19:41:53 »
There's definitely a problem with the epub file with Nook. My Nook 7 tablet says it isn't formatted correctly or is corrupted. The Nook app on PC gives an error message that it failed to import, and it just plain doesn't show up on my Nook glowlight 3. 
I have spoken.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1445 on: 28 May 2020, 19:42:39 »
We'll see. I'll wait a bit, but it is frustrating that this is where things are at still. I wrote something hoping to get it in to Shrapnel; guess it'll have to wait.

... yeah, it's not like there has been a major global event that has effected all our lives.  :blank:
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1446 on: 28 May 2020, 19:45:15 »
The first issue’s lineup isn’t exactly full of emerging authors...

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1447 on: 28 May 2020, 19:46:32 »

... yeah, it's not like there has been a major global event that has effected all our lives.  :blank:
I'm not asking for physical products. I'm not asking for them to run over and demand Chinese factories open up. I'm wanting them to make sure I'm included in the email lists I should be on as a backer to get the digital products.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1448 on: 28 May 2020, 20:40:03 »
Sorry but they were IMO never going to open up the first issue to new authors, its the hook to get folks who did not pledge at a level beyond getting the 1st issue to sign up for more.  The 1st issue that everyone gets, per Sartis, is supposed to have their submission guidelines.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1449 on: 28 May 2020, 20:55:59 »
And that is understandable, but I still received no updates on it in any form. So even taking away the fact that they are regulating the first issue, I don't have it along with other things from the KS and silence to my inquiries.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1450 on: 28 May 2020, 21:01:37 »
I mean, if I wanted silence from someone, there are a couple of women I could text instead.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #1451 on: 28 May 2020, 21:17:20 »
The first story in shrapnel made me happy.  Before I picked a faction and before I played games as a merc I always wanted to play a bandit king.  To see a story about Grimm made me happy.  I  only glanced at the book I was not expecting 172 pages very happy

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1452 on: 28 May 2020, 21:50:38 »
Sorry but they were IMO never going to open up the first issue to new authors, its the hook to get folks who did not pledge at a level beyond getting the 1st issue to sign up for more.  The 1st issue that everyone gets, per Sartis, is supposed to have their submission guidelines.

Do's
-3-7k words
-character-driven (rather than technology-driven)
-any era
-'mechs not required (but they are awesome)

Don'ts
-something not set in the BTU
-romance. supernatural, fantasy, or horror as the main focus
-excessive sex, gore, or profanity (keep it PG-13)
-lengths outside of the word count requirement (longer works require you earn your stripes)
-Vanity stories, personal units, author-as-character inserts, narrations of tabletop sessions
-publically available fiction (if you posted it, you can't submit it)

published works get five cents per word ($150-350)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #1453 on: 28 May 2020, 22:13:46 »
The first issue’s lineup isn’t exactly full of emerging authors...

Have to start somewhere, but they do want new authors. The first issue was to get the pump going, so to speak. Get people to sit up and take notice. To facilitate that, they have decided not to let authors have stories in consecutive issues. (Except for serial stories). So the next story written by me will be in Issue #3. Phil has a majority of the stories lined up for Issue #2, but there are still a couple of slots open if anyone wants to take a shot at it.

Here is the submission portal, with the guidelines! https://pulsepublishingsubmissions.moksha.io/publication/3

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1454 on: 28 May 2020, 22:36:36 »
The name of that combine sniper rifle made my head hurt. It's... it's not Japanese, or at least not the way I assume one would think it is, it's just pronouncing the English phrase "Silent Storm" using Japanese syllables. You're transcribing an accent. It'd be like calling the Dragon the "Doragon" or the Charger the "Chajya" or the panther the "Pantsuta".

(okay, the last one might get a giggle because of pantsu...)

Was that really the intention, or did someone just type the phrase Silent Storm into google translate and take the first result? Even without knowing the language, just looking down to a few more options would have let someone construct a more plausible option. Like say Musei Arashi.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1455 on: 28 May 2020, 22:40:28 »
It's probably Swedenese.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1456 on: 28 May 2020, 22:41:47 »
Have to start somewhere, but they do want new authors. The first issue was to get the pump going, so to speak. Get people to sit up and take notice. To facilitate that, they have decided not to let authors have stories in consecutive issues. (Except for serial stories). So the next story written by me will be in Issue #3. Phil has a majority of the stories lined up for Issue #2, but there are still a couple of slots open if anyone wants to take a shot at it.

Here is the submission portal, with the guidelines! https://pulsepublishingsubmissions.moksha.io/publication/3

Craig

understood - it wasn't a criticism directed at the publiciation (indeed if you guys wanted submissions for the first issue i assume there would have been a "call for papers" type announcement months ago). i feel like a certain degree of gravitas is necessary to attract readers, even in the long term.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1457 on: 28 May 2020, 22:42:10 »
It's probably Swedenese.

I was going to rant some more but I decided you were joking.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1458 on: 28 May 2020, 22:47:19 »
the panther the "Pantsuta".

(okay, the last one might get a giggle because of pantsu...)
I think you're...stretching things there.

So, next thread - Society influence makes me suggest the name Kickstarter Discussion Sept perhaps.  Thoughts?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1459 on: 28 May 2020, 22:56:37 »
I was going to rant some more but I decided you were joking.

I wasn't, but mostly because the amount of significant thought I put into whether or not the name of a sniper rifle in a science fiction game set in the year 3000+ sounded appropriately Japanese was barely enough to put three words to paper in the first place and not enough to formulate a joke around.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1460 on: 28 May 2020, 22:58:53 »
Confirmed, Combine Japanese (and Swedenese) is just English with funny accents.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1461 on: 28 May 2020, 23:10:28 »
I wasn't, but mostly because the amount of significant thought I put into whether or not the name of a sniper rifle in a science fiction game set in the year 3000+ sounded appropriately Japanese was barely enough to put three words to paper in the first place and not enough to formulate a joke around.

To be clear, my complaint isn't that it doesn't sound appropriately Japanese, but that it's a dumb and lazy attempt to pretend like it sounds appropriately Japanese. It's clear someone just put Silent Storm into google translate and took the first response. If it had just been called "silent storm" instead of "silent storm, but with a hilarious accent", I would have paid it no mind.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #1462 on: 28 May 2020, 23:24:13 »
Was that really the intention, or did someone just type the phrase Silent Storm into google translate and take the first result?

*Whistles innocently*

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1463 on: 28 May 2020, 23:26:34 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1464 on: 29 May 2020, 00:24:36 »
So was your head exploding like popcorn or like Arnold's Total Recall?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #1465 on: 29 May 2020, 01:53:57 »
Oooo! Is the Shrapnel story submissions open to anyone or is it a backer-only perk?!?! 🤩

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #1466 on: 29 May 2020, 02:58:22 »
Oooo! Is the Shrapnel story submissions open to anyone or is it a backer-only perk?!?! 🤩

Open to everyone -- just make sure you read the guidelines before submitting...

Craig

My Blogs!

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1467 on: 29 May 2020, 03:38:07 »
I really like the artwork of the Elemental Power Armour Suit on page 43 of Shrapnel. This looks like it is probably Mr Scroggins' final artwork with the slightly drawn back cocky's-beak chest...very nice indeed...the only thing wrong with it is that it doesn't have Ghost Bear iconography...

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1468 on: 29 May 2020, 07:39:18 »
understood - it wasn't a criticism directed at the publication (indeed if you guys wanted submissions for the first issue i assume there would have been a "call for papers" type announcement months ago). i feel like a certain degree of gravitas is necessary to attract readers, even in the long term.

Phil can call me off if I'm speaking out of turn, but it's not necessarily that deep. Yes, the first issue needs some draw. But it also needs to come out on time. Sometimes "proven author" simply means "sticks to word count, makes deadlines." The first issue out of the gate isn't the time to find out that someone can't hit a deadline with a bazooka, or just winged it on the lore.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #1469 on: 29 May 2020, 08:20:57 »
Still waiting for the e-mail. I guess Ristar are at bottom of the batches.

Register