Author Topic: Safe superjump?  (Read 27014 times)

Retry

• Lieutenant
Re: Safe superjump?
« Reply #150 on: 02 October 2019, 21:51:58 »
Introduced: 2131 (Terran Alliance)
The key element of recharge stations, these large power generation, storage and distribution systems (generically referred to as energy storage batteries, though they usually include power plants) enable Kearny-Fuchida drive vessels to recharge relatively quickly and safely, without the headache of deploying their huge (and delicate) solar sails. They are particularly useful at small, dim stars where K-F drive recharge times can stretch to ten days or more, and even more useful for vessels with lithium-fusion batteries; energy storage batteries can vastly reduce the travel time needed for JumpShips in a hurry.

Energy Storage Batteries are an alternative to conventional K-F drive recharge sources (including JumpShip solar sails and fusion engines), but can charge a vessel’s K-F drive either through its jump sail (typically via a diff use microwave beam) or by a direct connection (requiring the vessel to dock with the recharging station).
When an Energy Storage Battery’s power is delivered via the vessel’s solar sail, normal quick charging rules are followed, the rules of which are found in Strategic Operations.
 If the vessel instead uses a direct connection to the charging station, the Energy Storage Battery applies a –2 modifier to rolls made on the QuickCharge Table (to a minimum of 2), allowing for relatively safe quick-charges.
Energy Storage Batteries include massive power plants that can recharge their storage systems about as fast as they can be safely discharged into a JumpShip. An Energy Storage Battery can thus prepare a new charge for a JumpShip in 100 hours (which can occur concurrently while recharging a K-F drive). Full rules on constructing space stations are covered in Strategic Operations.
That's from tac ops.  So "Energy Storage Batteries" evidently include power generation as well as actual storage, so you may technically be able to get away with a recharge station that doesn't have a solar sail.  At least I don't see anything that specifically states that sails are mandatory on such stations.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2019, 21:54:10 by Retry »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #151 on: 02 October 2019, 21:58:11 »
I agree they're not mandatory, but the power plants do require fuel, so sails are still the best way to get "free" power.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #152 on: 02 October 2019, 22:02:27 »
I agree they're not mandatory, but the power plants do require fuel, so sails are still the best way to get "free" power.
I agree.  You're certainly not getting something from nothing.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #153 on: 16 October 2019, 16:26:30 »
On the question of superjumps, beyond anything else, I doubt they'll ever be introduced in a useful way, because the existence of a system that breaks the 30LY limit, especially by a significant amount, changes the setting assumptions far more than such minor additions as say, giving someone 100 Mckennas, or LAM's that have no drawbacks.

It's just too big a chance for the system to support without putting out a metric ton of supplemental materials.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #154 on: 31 October 2019, 05:53:46 »
I don't know. You'd need to increase jumpship production to make use of them beyond strategic raids.