Author Topic: Professional Soldiery Liaisons and their BattleMechs  (Read 346 times)

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
I just picked up a Gladiator BattleMech for use with my Crater Cobras and I'm wanting to do something a little different with the paint job, so I decided that the pilot will be the Professional Soldiery Liaison between the mercenary Crater Cobras and the DCMS.  The question is (assuming he was given the right to pilot a 'mech) what paint scheme would the liaison be using for his 'Mech?  Would he be using the paint scheme of the mercenaries, the paint scheme of his previous unit in the DCMS or would it be something else?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2024, 19:44:45 by Ghaz »

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
Re: Professional Soldiery Liaisons and their BattleMechs
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2024, 20:27:40 »
Ahh, clever use of a less-common design and it's mini (I assume). If there is one scheme I could safely say wouldn't appear, it would be a DCMS MechWarrior using mercenary colors. As the DCMS officers assigned to those roles seem as much ISF assets as anything, I recall in one of the Jihad books a short piece detailing a Combine attempt to bring the Azami back to heel which was said to be from ISF units, painted red and gold. As it was a Jihad book, who knows if that was the actual ISF or not. Otherwise, think of the most generic Draconis Combine scheme you can and go with that. I personally would use a combo of red, white, and grey. 
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2024, 20:52:44 »
Might also be a chance to get creative.  He’s not a member of any unit with a paint scheme, he can do whatever he wants, right?  I’m guessing the Combine dragon is the only insignia he’d carry, but other than that it’s tabula rasa.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

thesilverback

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2024, 23:46:32 »
I agree an independent paint scheme with the Dragon being very prominent. Or maybe use the paint scheme of one of the Ghost Legions because a proper samurai would likely not see it as honorable.  Just change the base white of the Ghost Legions to another color.  Have fun with it. 
6th Federated Suns Armored Cavalry (Hillbillies with Guns) - 24/432 - 5.56% painted

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2024, 02:40:59 »
Ahh, clever use of a less-common design and it's mini (I assume). If there is one scheme I could safely say wouldn't appear, it would be a DCMS MechWarrior using mercenary colors. As the DCMS officers assigned to those roles seem as much ISF assets as anything, I recall in one of the Jihad books a short piece detailing a Combine attempt to bring the Azami back to heel which was said to be from ISF units, painted red and gold. As it was a Jihad book, who knows if that was the actual ISF or not. Otherwise, think of the most generic Draconis Combine scheme you can and go with that. I personally would use a combo of red, white, and grey.

depends on who owns the mech really, we know Minobu Tetsuhara for example piloted a vindicator on loan from the 'goons when he was the liason officer. so it likely would have been in 'goons colours.
The Suns will shine again

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2024, 04:33:30 »
depends on who owns the mech really, we know Minobu Tetsuhara for example piloted a vindicator on loan from the 'goons when he was the liason officer. so it likely would have been in 'goons colours.
But that wasn't a permanent assignment, more an ad-hoc loan when the situation required their dispossessed liaison officer be given a ride now.

Generally, I don't get why people get so hung up on paint schemes. MechWarriors are a highly individualistic folk. Especially with an oddball ride I would expect the machine to be an heirloom and on a "free" assignment, as others have pointed out, your liaison officer is probably free to paint it however he likes.
As a Kurita officer it will obviously feature the Dragon. The base scheme would either be a personal/family scheme, flat military gray or green, or perhaps some Crater Cobras paint scheme to show the liaison officer's respect for the unit he/she is liaising with. Guess it comes down to wether you want to blend in and display yourself as part of the unit, or if you want to underscore that you're not one of them. Kurita samurai tend to overthink these things for pages and pages in novels.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2024, 06:06:25 »
Most likely camouflage with the Combine Symbol in place. If the Liason position has a symbol that would be on there as well.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Register