Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
MechWarrior Hall / Re: Word Association 36: SAY WHAT AGAIN!!!
« Last post by Wrangler on Today at 07:40:21 »
Spectacular
BattleMechs / Re: 'Warcriming the Militia' - Battlemechs of the WoB
« Last post by Red Pins on Today at 07:25:06 »
Thanks, I keep forgetting that.
Aerospace / Re: Lurk Jumpship
« Last post by Lagrange on Today at 07:19:00 »
Oh, you meant per arc!  That should more than do! :)
Yeah, Jumpships can't really control their orientation vs. ASF very well.  Nevertheless, I tweaked the nose arc to have 6 point defense bays (and one more gunner) just in case.

It's difficult to estimate how much the point defense bays increase survivability but the first point defense bay in each arc almost certainly increases survivability by more than 0.05% cost.  Restated, in all the situations where 'naked' version is destroyed the version with one point defense bay per arc may survives at least 1-in-2000 times.  The 4th bay may increase survivability by the .2% cost (i.e. 1-in-500).  After that point, the tonnage cost starts becoming the primary concern since you'd like enough supplies to be able to run around a system and survive for a half-year+ on your own should that end up necessary.
Ground Combat / Re: Tactics
« Last post by Col Toda on Today at 07:14:26 »
My tactics are radically different by ERA . Star League had the most use of WMDs during the Reunification War. 

Succession wars I used standard lance of Centurion and Trebuchet  as well as some heavy hitting Tanks or Mechs.  Heavy installation and use of Hitches, Trailers, and recon cameras .

Clan Invasion ERA : C3 ; TAG ; Homming Arrow to make holes and Semi - Guided  LRMs to Exploit them.

Jihaad much the same as Clan ERA but Expect an ECM rich situation .

Republic ERA heavy Wight use in Urban combat .
Nearly all experimental  tech becomes Advanced. 

Il Khan nearly all experimental and Advanced becomes tournament legal .

BattleTech Miniatures / Re: Winterguard (Non-Battletech)
« Last post by 17thRecon on Today at 07:02:42 »
Good work. That was a really fun and interesting game that just seemed to fall off the map one day.
BattleTech Miniatures / Re: CSR Beta Galaxy Kingfisher.
« Last post by avon1985 on Today at 06:42:34 »
Sweet! :smilie_happy_thumbup:
BattleTech Miniatures / Re: A Group of Jade Mechs
« Last post by avon1985 on Today at 06:42:09 »
sweet! :smilie_happy_thumbup:
Clan Chatterweb / Re: Cobra Reserve Warrior Questions
« Last post by Alan Grant on Today at 06:33:54 »
I could see the infantry organization used as a paper organizing structure. What I mean by that is it doesn't represent the day-to-day reality. We know the reserve warriors get assigned to various support details to be part of them or to command them. So odds are they are split up in a lot of different directions.

But just for paper organizing/roll call purposes. Stand in formation and sound off- situations. Sure.

As for numbers, I think it could vary quite a bit. We really just don't know. It could be 10 it could be 100. The latter may sound like a lot but each reserve unit is attached to an entire galaxy. We also know that many warriors who are a cut above the solahma infantry fate end up in the reserve units for a while. It's very possible such reserve warriors are living with the reality that short of a true crisis (massive casualties, massive need for lots of replacements) they may never go (or go back) to a line unit. They may just exist in this near-solahma state until they finally are too old for even that.

So thinking through a specific case study of one warrior. Warrior A did spend some time in line units in his more youthful warrior years. But never earned a bloodname. Eventually Warrior A tested down to the reserve unit and from there moved around to a series of different technical/logistical details for another 10 years. Technically in the reserve unit. However routinely getting bumped down the ascension list as new generations of sibkos graduate. Then eventually ending up in the solahma infantry when the warrior is just too old, too frail, to even have reserve status.

There could be quite a few warriors like that in the reserves. If you think about how that category of warrior is there, and not just the up-and-comer youths, then I think the reserves could actually be quite large.

Then of course there would be a cyclical nature to it. So in more quiet periods the reserve units would likely bulk up with more warriors. While during and after combat operations, the reserve units would look quite depleted as reserve warriors replaced the fallen in line units.

It's kinda fun to think about a reserve warrior who went straight into the reserves after testing out of the sibko. Stayed in a reserve unit for years, a decade even, and then finally gets the chance to join a line unit at age 30 or something. That would be an interesting and atypical Clan warrior story.
Now to the point at hand ... fusion reactors in the real world could generate power by tapping the magnetic field of the fusing plasma to generate electricity directly, without needing cooling loops. Fission plants could not do that. They could in theory use advanced thermocouples - which generate electricity based on temperature differentials. But you'd need one end more or less inside the reactor core for maximum efficiency. But that would mass less than primary/secondary loops.

Interesting
Seven spires - The cursed muse
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10