Poll

Has the Kickstarter campaign increased pride, solidarity or morale in the Battletech community?

Yes
No
Maybe

Author Topic: The Kickstarter: Unintended effects  (Read 10264 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: The Kickstarter: Unintended effects
« Reply #60 on: 19 November 2019, 12:12:46 »
Oh yeah, but those minis are 10+ years old?  They are closer in time to the aforementioned painful TRO3060/PP minis than the current crop.  I understand what you were saying, like the ones I bagged back in '04 or '05 I paid someone else who is better at it to assemble them for me.  Current crop are way better, and I will attribute that to tech since they are computer modeled which makes them easier to build IMO.  I want to say the Juliano was 10+ parts, the primitive Thunder also had a lot of parts as do a few others but I will consider them . . . old Project Phoenix models?  No thanks, I need 5 or less parts to buy one from that time frame that I will try to put together myself.

But yeah, I like the plastic b/c I can do more with it- I have only changed 1 metal mini that I can recall.  I took a Quasimodo's arm and cut the elbow to make it extended to point at forward.

Because I'm going to have a mix of plastic and metal and because I have a bit of OCD about uniformity, I plan to create custom bases for the plastics and insert fishing weights in the bases (made of clay) so that they have a bit of heft similar to the metals. :)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Punishermark

• Corporal
« Reply #61 on: 19 November 2019, 12:29:47 »
Just in case you are not already aware there is a Battletech group that plays in North Olmstead every Monday night at a store called Recess at 7PM.

He is correct. We have been playing for 6+ years. See our Cleveland Battletech League facebook page.

Battletech needs these plastics. People do not want metal.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #62 on: 19 November 2019, 13:00:21 »
Battletech needs these plastics. People do not want metal.

Eh, I am not starting that flame war.  I understand people have preferences, I do not get the adamant stances between the materials but cest la vie.  I am happy that we have more materials on the market appealing to a broader player base which will hopefully translate to more BT stuff.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 19 November 2019, 13:07:02 »
Eh, I am not starting that flame war.  I understand people have preferences, I do not get the adamant stances between the materials but cest la vie.  I am happy that we have more materials on the market appealing to a broader player base which will hopefully translate to more BT stuff.

I am all for selling what people want to buy is, I think, where I come down in all this.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 19 November 2019, 13:21:47 »

I am all for selling what people want to buy is, I think, where I come down in all this.

I agree with both of these here, but from a slightly neutral perspective, I understand the desire to have All of the models available in your preferred medium.  The storage requirements to efficiently store a lot of minis are different based on whether you are plastic or metal.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 19 November 2019, 14:02:32 »
Because I'm going to have a mix of plastic and metal and because I have a bit of OCD about uniformity, I plan to create custom bases for the plastics and insert fishing weights in the bases (made of clay) so that they have a bit of heft similar to the metals. :)
the bases of the new models work really well with magnets - another way to give the model more weight and well magnets. ;)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 19 November 2019, 14:29:02 »
the bases of the new models work really well with magnets - another way to give the model more weight and well magnets. ;)

An interesting possibility. I'll probably stick with clay, though, because I discovered an algorithm that works really well for my collection. I sculpt the base to create some kind of interesting diorama like city, mountain slope, seaside, or what-have-you and then cut the sides using a thin blade or flat sheet of some kind (currently a metal ruler). That creates a nice, sharp hex shape sized to a cardboard template I use. Then I bake the clay.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #67 on: 19 November 2019, 15:55:06 »
An interesting possibility. I'll probably stick with clay, though, because I discovered an algorithm that works really well for my collection. I sculpt the base to create some kind of interesting diorama like city, mountain slope, seaside, or what-have-you and then cut the sides using a thin blade or flat sheet of some kind (currently a metal ruler). That creates a nice, sharp hex shape sized to a cardboard template I use. Then I bake the clay.

That's pretty cool, I don't have that kind of artistic talent (or time and materials!) and I bet it looks good on tabletop.  I do agree with Asgo that Magnets give a nice little heft.  Even better, you can then use ferrous material inside storage or the inside of a Mech Scale Drop ship and have terrain that also carries your mechs.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 19 November 2019, 19:50:39 »
Unintended effects?  Having "old man moments" when I run some BT demo games and the new players ask me "What's Robotech?" when I mention where some of the old school mech designs came from.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #69 on: 19 November 2019, 20:36:10 »
That was that show about the aliens that invaded Earth to destroy the mullets, right?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #70 on: 19 November 2019, 20:47:29 »
Now I'm feeling old because I get that joke...  :-\ ;D

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #71 on: 19 November 2019, 23:02:26 »
That was that show about the aliens that invaded Earth to destroy the mullets, right?

Oh dear God, I saw a pre-teen boy with one Saturday . . . and he WANTED it that way b/c he was getting up out of the barber's chair.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #72 on: 20 November 2019, 01:08:36 »
I was there last night.  It's honestly a great group.

Nice sadly I was out of town but I should be there next week.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #73 on: 20 November 2019, 08:00:29 »
One side effect for me was that I went back and made a major order from IWM, filling in my collection with the various TRO:3026 and TRO:2750 vehicles and TRO:2750 WarShips that never got a Ral Partha release back in the day.  If you've got oodles of Clanners incoming, you need ComStar's combined arms Level IIs to meet them on Tukayyid.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Corpboy

• Recruit
« Reply #74 on: 20 November 2019, 14:41:21 »
Count me in as one of the people who haven't seen/played BT in many, many years that the Kickstarter brought back to the universe.  I don't even remember how I found the KS but when I did I knew I had to back it.

Bought in at the Star Captain level, and just doubled-down my investment to a Bloodnamed level with a side order of the Legendary mechwarrior pack.