Author Topic: Is the 2.5Mton KF drive limit hard or soft?  (Read 4516 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: Is the 2.5Mton KF drive limit hard or soft?
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2018, 19:32:57 »
I only suggested applying that to Strategic Thrust, not Tactical... No space battles should be taking place using only Strategic Thrust...

Turn 1: "I accelerate at maximum thrust!"
Turn 10: *moves ship one hex forward*
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2018, 19:35:31 »
To be more clear, to utilize the hyper-efficient fuel consumption of Strategic Thrust, you only get 1/10th of the thrust rating.  During tactical maneuvers, you use Tactical fuel consumption and thrust.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #32 on: 26 May 2018, 17:35:51 »
Turn 1: "I accelerate at maximum thrust!"
Turn 10: *moves ship one hex forward*

It's like seeing old people in those quad-walkers running a marathon!  :wheelchair:

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #33 on: 26 May 2018, 17:59:29 »
It's like seeing old people in those quad-walkers running a marathon!  :wheelchair:

I once saw a game of Star Fleet Battles where most of the players had sub-light vessels ganging up on one guy in a regular Federation Heavy Cruiser. It must've seemed like a good idea before they started actually playing, but the end result was...yeah. Not so thrilling. :D
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 27 May 2018, 12:00:55 »
I'm getting the mental image of a battle like this, and someone has calm ballet music playing in the background

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2018, 12:09:27 »
I know it's an amusing image, but seriously... Tactical thrust still exists, but uses Tactical fuel consumption instead of the insanely efficient Strategic fuel consumption.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #36 on: 27 May 2018, 12:36:00 »
I know it's an amusing image, but seriously... Tactical thrust still exists, but uses Tactical fuel consumption instead of the insanely efficient Strategic fuel consumption.

Agreed. I don't mind using pureed catgirls as reaction mass, but there is a limit.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2018, 12:41:14 »
Now THAT's an amusing image...  ;D

Hammerpilot IIC

• Master Sergeant
  • The Suns will rise again!
« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2018, 21:09:22 »
Agreed. I don't mind using pureed catgirls as reaction mass, but there is a limit.

In space, no one can hear catgirls scream.
7th Crucis Lancers: 2786-3143. You shall be avenged!

Awesome 8Q- "Whoa...Every third PPC is slower..." --MistWolf

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 27 May 2018, 22:28:05 »
Based on a discussion I had with one of the writers a few weeks back on that forum I'd say is soft. Jump cores can move considerably more then the ships listed mass and the wording of the information implies that it's a structural thing meaning that the technology doesn't exist yet to build cores for ships bigger than 2.5 million tons. Remember the jump core also functions as the ships keel meaning it is one of the most important structural components of the vessel. Based on the wording I take it to mean that at present a ship larger that 2.5 million tons will sag under any kind of gravity load from a nearby object like a planet and deform the core to the point of damage or malfunction.

Titanium is added to the germanium to improve structural integrity along with superconductivity.  Compact cores have more titanium than standard cores. In all likelyhood a superheavy core will require a new ratio in the forging of the core.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #40 on: 28 May 2018, 03:53:16 »
Im sure you can make custom rules for SuperHeavy Warships. But nothing cannon.
I made custom rules for ships over 100m tons. Nothing offical in any way. Just me trying to be a fan and have my 4 foot Lego Star Destroyer on the field in the Battletech Universe.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #41 on: 28 May 2018, 04:31:01 »
Wouldn't that work out to around a kilometer and a half at Battletech map scale, making it an awesome place to have your BattleMechs run across?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 28 May 2018, 07:35:46 »
Actually I think it be closer to 3.5km long.
Im sure you can make custom rules for SuperHeavy Warships. But nothing cannon.
I made custom rules for ships over 100m tons. Nothing offical in any way. Just me trying to be a fan and have my 4 foot Lego Star Destroyer on the field in the Battletech Universe.

The thing is that ships at that range all ready have ungodly amounts of tonnage for things even with a 4/6 transit drive.  If you did tinker with the ratio and add more titanium you will get a new core that weighs proportionately less of the ships total mass then the compact core. This means even more dakaa on the ship. I think is what they seek to avoid considering just how powerful a ship that massive can be. They can't say its impossible because of all the emphasis they have placed on even small amounts of germanium being hyperactive to hyperspace fields.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 28 May 2018, 08:58:55 »
I kept the KF drive and sublight engine mass the same. The Internal Structure was 50% more. I figure it would be more efficient then using it for super heavy mechs seeing how it is only used in space. Then made the armor less for the ton and made the threshold half for the ton.

Yes you can put a lot firepower and many many other things for such a huge ship.
I made a 300m ton warship for the Lego Super Star Destroyer. Kept all the weapons standard with Battletech rules and added some mass drivers for bombardment reason.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 28 May 2018, 19:48:28 »
I kept the KF drive and sublight engine mass the same. The Internal Structure was 50% more. I figure it would be more efficient then using it for super heavy mechs seeing how it is only used in space. Then made the armor less for the ton and made the threshold half for the ton. 

If you use the older AT2r rules, it had effectively a mass2 relationship for the internal structure.

IIRC, under those rules the ships had to have a minimum SI of ship mass/20 ktons.
Each point of SI then took up ship mass/10,000 tons.

So a 1 MTon ship needed a minimum of 50 SI, and each SI massed 100 tons, for a minimum of 5 ktons SI mass.

A 2 MTon ship needed a minimum of 100 SI, and each SI massed 200 tons, for a minimum of 20 ktons SI mass.

Twice the mass of Warship, but 4* the mass of SI.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 29 May 2018, 11:51:02 »
That's got to be older AT2r used SI min = max thrust. SI max = 30 x max thrust. SI mass =SI(ship mass ÷ 1000)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 30 May 2018, 08:07:16 »
If you use the older AT2r rules, it had effectively a mass2 relationship for the internal structure.

IIRC, under those rules the ships had to have a minimum SI of ship mass/20 ktons.
Each point of SI then took up ship mass/10,000 tons.

So a 1 MTon ship needed a minimum of 50 SI, and each SI massed 100 tons, for a minimum of 5 ktons SI mass.

A 2 MTon ship needed a minimum of 100 SI, and each SI massed 200 tons, for a minimum of 20 ktons SI mass.

Twice the mass of Warship, but 4* the mass of SI.

Are you trying to say Battletech weights and designs are correct when it comes to mass?? LOL!!!
I just took some of the Superheavy mech and tank rules and had some fun with it.