Author Topic: Androids aka Infantry Drones in BT?  (Read 9291 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
Re: Androids aka Infantry Drones in BT?
« Reply #61 on: 30 May 2020, 10:48:42 »
I get some long winded error message for that link
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 30 May 2020, 11:22:57 »
Weird. It just worked for me.

https://charltonhero.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/dreadempire.jpg
Hope this one works better. He's in the middle.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 30 May 2020, 15:41:45 »

I use Firefox, might something there ... 2nd one works. Ah, yes those 'treads' could work out.

fyi I got
The previous page is sending you to http://angelsinorder.blogspot.com/2013/.

If you do not want to visit that page, you can return to the previous page.

which takes me to a fallen baseball players page.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2020, 15:43:39 by Wolf72 »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 30 May 2020, 17:29:18 »
I use Firefox, might something there ... 2nd one works. Ah, yes those 'treads' could work out.

fyi I got
which takes me to a fallen baseball players page.

I'm glad you got it and that it'd work.

Yeah. I saw that. I had to scroll down a ways to find the picture.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 30 May 2020, 20:01:28 »
I'm glad you got it and that it'd work.

Yeah. I saw that. I had to scroll down a ways to find the picture.

that's quite a ways down ... didn't even make it that far for me! ... So it did work, just not as right up front as I was assuming.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 30 May 2020, 22:41:49 »

I used to have that guy, I think, along with the winged one.  Me and my brother would have them mix it up with all the 80's toys, including M.A.S.C., GI Joe, and Transformers.

Still, that could be an interesting way to do it.  Currently a few groups are working on a tire that can turn in to a tread on demand.  It wouldn't be that hard to lock the treads to have them operate as large foot.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 31 May 2020, 14:25:58 »
that's quite a ways down ... didn't even make it that far for me! ... So it did work, just not as right up front as I was assuming.

I didn't know it was that far down either. I found the picture with google. I scrolled down to see if it was there later. At least it worked.

I used to have that guy, I think, along with the winged one.  Me and my brother would have them mix it up with all the 80's toys, including M.A.S.C., GI Joe, and Transformers.

Still, that could be an interesting way to do it.  Currently a few groups are working on a tire that can turn in to a tread on demand.  It wouldn't be that hard to lock the treads to have them operate as large foot.

I think I still do have that guy. I'd have to do some digging to be sure. I used to mix them up with GI Joe and Star Wars and other action figures. Sometimes Transformers but not too much.

Wheels that can turn into treads?  Sounds complicated. I have seen track units that can replace wheels turning a wheeled vehicle into a tracked one. Love to be able to do that in BT.  Having the treads lock and used as a foot is how I imagined Track Units when the first came out.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 31 May 2020, 15:18:58 »
Wheels that can turn into treads?  Sounds complicated. I have seen track units that can replace wheels turning a wheeled vehicle into a tracked one. Love to be able to do that in BT.  Having the treads lock and used as a foot is how I imagined Track Units when the first came out.

Complicated is one way to put it.  It can be a great idea to add options to Wheeled units.

DARPA is one of the groups doing it, and here is an example of it in use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpsjKZUQEbs.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #69 on: 31 May 2020, 15:28:53 »
Cool video, thanks for sharing!  :thumbsup:

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 01 June 2020, 00:52:34 »

For my idea, not really.  Think of a hockey or Lacrosse set of shin guards, but replace the shin guards with a set of treads.  The goal was to make a humanoid design that could fit where a human could, meaning legs and appropriate-sized feet

But if that Blastarr design would be better engineering-wise, go with that instead

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #71 on: 02 June 2020, 16:29:56 »

Can you put this on the fan designs section and link to it, so we can have fun getting ideas on how to use it?

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69663.0

As requested.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 03 June 2020, 14:53:36 »
For my idea, not really.  Think of a hockey or Lacrosse set of shin guards, but replace the shin guards with a set of treads.  The goal was to make a humanoid design that could fit where a human could, meaning legs and appropriate-sized feet

But if that Blastarr design would be better engineering-wise, go with that instead

Like the ones on this mech?

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Diomede

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 04 June 2020, 12:12:54 »
Like the ones on this mech?

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Diomede

Excellent find, that is perfect!

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 04 June 2020, 13:48:01 »
Excellent find, that is perfect!

:) Thanks  :beer:

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 06 June 2020, 11:21:53 »
The most easy way to claim this is;

1. Ruled that your force have looted random secret Word of Blake/The Society science facility without significant loss of the installation(IMPORTANT).
2. Consider that you have the robot soldier with humanoid form and similar weights, and you have the full control of them.
3. Give them the Battle Armor that is tuned for those robot soldiers.
4. Let them 'wear' the Battle Armor, and you have the robotic BA team that follows you without any sense of fear.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 06 June 2020, 22:53:12 »
Complicated is one way to put it.  It can be a great idea to add options to Wheeled units.

DARPA is one of the groups doing it, and here is an example of it in use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpsjKZUQEbs.

Wow! Totally missed this. Very cool! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Not as easy to use as Matracks but you don't have to get out to change them either.   :beer:

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #77 on: 24 June 2020, 12:30:58 »
In the Battletech world, you have these huge walking tanks with multi-ton computers, tons of shielding, and relatively primitive communications technologies.

That's because in some previous time period, disruption of electronics became so easy that it destroyed the advantages of high tech approaches to warfare. In particular, the use of electromagnetic pulse attacks could disable armies of drones. This was an even bigger threat to civilian life: an EMP that took out the local nuclear reactor or disabled a jumpship at a critical moment would be a horrific terrorist attack. AI is scary but the local powerplant being used as a bomb to extort money or make a political point is a more immediate worry.

This forced the development of tech that was robust to things like EMPs or hacking. Battletech computers aren't heavy because they are from the 1980s, they're heavy because of all the built-in redundancy and security to keep them from being knocked out.

So fielding an RCT where all the operators are safely in space sitting at workstations just isn't practical. The units on the ground can be easily disabled by fairly primitive means, the communication can be disrupted by fairly primitive means, and the dangers of your force being hacked and turned on itself are too high.

Register