Author Topic: Combat Command Compositions  (Read 1736 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Combat Command Compositions
« on: 31 January 2024, 12:27:14 »
I really like the "Standard Combat Command Compositions" that exists for the Inner Sphere and Periphery States.
Just wondering if anyone had done a table for the Star League at its peak or for the Clans?

Just a rough estimate?

Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Combat Command Compositions
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2024, 20:07:51 »
The Star League version would certainly be more "combined arms" than the clanner one... ;)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2024, 14:52:39 »
It would be just neat to see. Try to see how the different Star Leauge, and Clans would look compared to the Inner Sphere army.

Zematus737

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2024, 12:19:48 »
You might be interested in Reunification War>The League's Might pg. 23.  You'll see the strength of each force of what comprises the SLDF and their stats, command structure and notable units.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2024, 14:01:31 »
You might be interested in Reunification War>The League's Might pg. 23.  You'll see the strength of each force of what comprises the SLDF and their stats, command structure and notable units.

Yeah thank you for that. Just hoping for a neat little table like the other houses.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2024, 23:03:03 »
Clan Standard Combat Commands are being worked on...

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2024, 10:23:44 »
Clan Standard Combat Commands are being worked on...

Cool thanks, would be great to see when It comes out.

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2024, 14:47:49 »
Depends on the size, I guess.  But SLDF "Combat Commands" would most likely be what they called "Divisions", which were essentially multi-regimental formations:
  • 1 Regiment of "Tanks" (Armor or CV)
  • 1 "Artillery" regiment (either a regiment of things like the Long Tom Carrier or Padilla Arrow carriers, or towed field guns/artillery)
  • IIRC, either 1 or 2 Aerospace Wings (so 54-108 SF)
  • "Infantry" Divisions would have 6 Infantry Regiments (either Motorized/Mechanized, Foot, or Jump) & 3 BattleMech Regiments (if paired with Jump Infantry Regiments, all of the 'Mechs had to have jump capability)
  • "Mechanized" Divisions would have 3 Infantry Regiments (Motorized/Mechanized or Foot) & 6 BattleMech Regiments

Might have had more than that, but can't remember off the top of my head.

Plus, said BattleMech units were nowhere near as "mixed" as Succession Wars/Clan Invasion & later units are.  The fluff talks about entire companies having only a single model of 'Mechs in them, or mentions certain types of lances that mixed only 2 types (i.e. "HK" lances with the Null Sig-equipped Spectors & Executioners, or the lances where they paired 3 of one type with the Talon for spotting).  From a campaign perspective, basically instead of rolling for 4 different units per lance, you would only roll once for that lance.

Essentially, you ended with a formation that technically had as many regiments as the later Davion/Steiner RCTs (9 Regiments in RCT vs. 12-13 SLDF), but even the SLDF Infantry Divisions were "'Mech-heavy" compared to IS/Clan formations (kind of like if you were to face all of the DCMS Ghost Regiments in a single formation, or all of the Avalon Hussars).  Clan equivalent would maybe be a Galaxy...but the Clanners would be light on the Infantry/Elementals side.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2024, 11:19:21 »
Thank you for all of that info.
I have been looking at Army sizes per book, trying to come up with some numbers at least base numbers.

Zematus737

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2024, 11:57:02 »
Have you made any progress with the higher Brigade, Division, Corps, and Army tiers? 

An interesting source I recently reviewed was Reunification Wars page 27, with specific attention to the [BattleMech] Division as broken down to two brigades of mechs and one of mechanized infantry as the principle offensive arm of the SLDF.  If the clans inherited anything from this era it may be the divisional structure here, at least for most 3050 era forces.  Maybe just exchange the mechanized infantry for battle armor in novas using the low chance roll down at the Company tier for Binaries and Trinaries (page133 IO:BF).

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2024, 12:14:47 »
Have you made any progress with the higher Brigade, Division, Corps, and Army tiers? 

An interesting source I recently reviewed was Reunification Wars page 27, with specific attention to the [BattleMech] Division as broken down to two brigades of mechs and one of mechanized infantry as the principle offensive arm of the SLDF.  If the clans inherited anything from this era it may be the divisional structure here, at least for most 3050 era forces.  Maybe just exchange the mechanized infantry for battle armor in novas using the low chance roll down at the Company tier for Binaries and Trinaries (page133 IO:BF).

I have not. I kinda gave up on trying to figure this out with the clans and other units. It would be just nice to see what or how large militaries are. Ive been very much trying to figure out the logistics and the like for units and my own personal units.

Zematus737

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2024, 12:34:48 »
The only thing I found to represent size of the higher was that an Army was 2+ Corps, Corps 3-6 Divisions, a Division being 3 Brigades, and a Brigade 3 Regiments.  I forget where I saw this.  Reunification or KO.  Truly mind breaking scope.  I can understand why Battletech stopped at barely touching brigade to hold regiments together.  Maybe Clans just did not go so far high as the Inner Sphere orders and perhaps the Clans themselves were an intentional limiter to these kinds of expansions, birthing new Clans rather than continuing growth.  The factor of 6 Comstar created for Tukayyid only went to lvl4?  But you can easily grow these by continuing the form.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 12:40:36 by Zematus737 »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2024, 19:07:03 »
The only thing I found to represent size of the higher was that an Army was 2+ Corps, Corps 3-6 Divisions, a division being 3 Brigades, and a Brigade 3 Regiments.  I forget where I saw this.  Reunification or KO.  Truly mind breaking scope.  I can understand why Battletech stopped at barely touching brigade to hold regiments together.  Maybe Clans just did not go so far high as the Inner Sphere orders and perhaps the Clans themselves were an intentional limiter to these kinds of expansions, birthing new Clans rather than continuing growth.  The factor of 6 Comstar created for Tukayyid only went to lvl4?  But you can easily grow these by continuing the form.

The most Ive seen, a Mech Division had 6 Mech and 3 Conventional Regiments, and the Infantry Regiments had 3 Mech and 6 Conventional Regiments. The Star League sizes are huge compared to sizes of the Armies in the Ilkhan times. Star League at a peak had over 2300 Mech regiments, the peak of the IS before the 1st Succession War was about 650. Now the non mech forces pushed it almost to 8000 regiments, where the SL total was 4500.

Register