Author Topic: Arthur Steiner Davion  (Read 19543 times)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: Arthur Steiner Davion
« Reply #30 on: 14 September 2019, 22:21:24 »
I did have the idea of a Canopus-Born Merc (Obviously fanfiction) who was heavily robo'd up and started taking trophies of Manei Domini Cybernetics to replace any bits they broke as the Jihad went on... So I like this idea.

My recent non-canon mercs were led by a CO who lost an arm and replaced it with a bionic one hacked from the MD who blew his arm away.
I think Felix ended up with one bionic arm (lost on Donegal) and a leg (shot out of his Mech on Skye).

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53133.0

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Drunkjon

• Private
    • Current campaign blog
« Reply #31 on: 15 September 2019, 10:57:45 »
Can we have a kickstarter to get 3067-forward spine novels???

Yeah, if we ever do get those novels, I hope they keep with the original idea. Just because we know what happens doesn't mean we can't get an interesting or compelling story.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #32 on: 15 September 2019, 11:16:15 »
Shadows of Faith was supposed to be the first but went unfinished. Embers of War sets off the main characters toward Outreach at the same time as the WoB attack commences.

My copy of Embers also has the first chapter of Shadows as a bonus. Unsure if they included that as an intended sneak peak of a future release or just a epilogue to show the death of Jaime Wolf and act as a lead-in for the extant Jihad plot books. The c/w on Embers is 2015/16 so TPTB may have switched direction at that time on whether to finish Shadows.

Whatever the case, a printing of Redemption Rift is tentatively slated next along with the second and third books in the Rogue Academy trilogy

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #33 on: 16 September 2019, 07:35:57 »
Whatever the case, a printing of Redemption Rift is tentatively slated next along with the second and third books in the Rogue Academy trilogy
Is Redemption Rift the next book they announced in spine series?  jihad era novel?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #34 on: 16 September 2019, 08:20:13 »
"What is that?..."

"Oh! Well, our unit displays their Jihad Battle Honours with scavenged Manei Domini cybernetics; one per battle honour. Our Regiment fought in six campaigns; so six random body parts!"

"Why is there a blue light still blinking on the head?"

"Don't know! Our Tech's EMP'd the heck out of it before we could keep it, but that light just keeps blinking where the eye was."

"And you've had that hanging, upside-down from your flagpole---"

"---Standard."

"Your standard....since the Jihad ended, fifty years ago?"

"Fifty-Six! The head came first! If you turn a radio to 56.90 Mhz there's this weird wailing we think comes from a triple-core processer embedded in that thigh! And the diaphragm in the ribcage flutters if you touch a powercell to that spinal cord."

This post? This one here? This is art.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #35 on: 16 September 2019, 15:11:01 »
Is Redemption Rift the next book they announced in spine series?  jihad era novel?

Redemption Rift was a BattleCorps serial novel about Wolf’s Dragoons going to work for the Draconis Combine and then fighting against the FedSuns in the Draconis Reach contested area circa 3139-40. It is being published in a single piece now.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: 16 September 2019, 15:20:29 »
Redemption Rift was a BattleCorps serial novel about Wolf’s Dragoons going to work for the Draconis Combine and then fighting against the FedSuns in the Draconis Reach contested area circa 3139-40. It is being published in a single piece now.
Thank you, i'm looking forward buying it and reading it. I'm just doing the PoD this time if it's available.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #37 on: 19 September 2019, 13:30:05 »
Just to prove that the universe can be run by someone who's not named Steiner-Davion?

*Pam's voice* But can it really . . ?

Considering VSD was such a big part of Stone's government & plans . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #38 on: 19 September 2019, 14:54:25 »
even the dune universe didn't need the God Emperor after a while.

granted Chapterhouse was kind of a mess without him...

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #39 on: 19 September 2019, 17:49:40 »
But it was a good kind of mess... that and Heretics are my two favorite Dune books...

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 19 September 2019, 21:09:48 »
*Pam's voice* But can it really . . ?

Considering VSD was such a big part of Stone's government & plans . . .

Was he though? The 3080s era source books makes me really feel like Lear was desperate to keep him on the periphery if policy, while he set the agenda for Stone.
Same way he was desperate to sideline Belle Lee to ensure she didn’t push back against said agenda.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #41 on: 20 September 2019, 05:58:23 »
Perhaps im in minority but i did hope ASD was to become Stone. Set up in Pardoe's book was to good to undermind it. It was a damn shame.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 20 September 2019, 08:30:33 »
I like to imagine that part of the personality/memories of the former host survive in their salvaged parts.

And now I have a version of that old joke stuck in my head.

“What, do you have a little Steiner-Davion in you?” (Pulls off his medical ID wristband) “I do now.”

abou

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 20 September 2019, 09:14:01 »
And now I have a version of that old joke stuck in my head.

“What, do you have a little Steiner-Davion in you?” (Pulls off his medical ID wristband) “I do now.”
By now, all the royals in the Inner Sphere probably have a little Steiner-Davion in them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 20 September 2019, 10:22:26 »
I guess Victor not the smallest of Han Davion's kids of them all.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #45 on: 20 September 2019, 10:31:25 »
The trippy one?  Most of Vic's kids are The Master's grandkids . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #46 on: 20 September 2019, 12:09:21 »
The trippy one?  Most of Vic's kids are The Master's grandkids . . .
There is nothing wrong with the Habsburg method of dynastic relations!

Make it so your neighbors don't want to make war on you for a generation by marrying their junior heirs.

Of course, then you get messes like Charles II of Spain...
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #47 on: 20 September 2019, 12:13:17 »
Well, I never saw anything in universe where it became widely known the Master was the real Thomas Marik.  So all of Vic's kids except Kitsune (of course, that raise's its own question of how the average Drac could overlook a kid in the royal family with a name based on a FOX!) could be going along blithely unaware until someone sprung that on them.
Colt Ward

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
  • I'll either find a way or make one.
« Reply #48 on: 21 September 2019, 05:22:28 »
Well, I never saw anything in universe where it became widely known the Master was the real Thomas Marik.

Maybe b/c the Master wasn't the real Thomas Marik.

Jihad:Final Reckoning straightened up that misconception.
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #49 on: 21 September 2019, 10:12:18 »
Maybe b/c the Master wasn't the real Thomas Marik.

Jihad:Final Reckoning straightened up that misconception.

Then please tell us who the real Thomas Marik was. Because Sarna, quoting Jihad: Final Reckoning among other sources, says the Master WAS in fact the real Thomas Marik.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #50 on: 21 September 2019, 10:23:26 »
Maybe ASD is BT`s attempt of Hidden King Arthur tale?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #51 on: 21 September 2019, 12:10:21 »
Maybe ASD is BT`s attempt of Hidden King Arthur tale?
One of many; Kerensky will return and Stone will return being the two most blatant.

Author's name alone would make a similar story trope heavy.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: 21 September 2019, 12:57:42 »
Then please tell us who the real Thomas Marik was. Because Sarna, quoting Jihad: Final Reckoning among other sources, says the Master WAS in fact the real Thomas Marik.

I've no idea who the Master is. But it's not Thomas Marik.

J:FR pages 3 and 4, last respectively first sentence:
The sleeves of his white robe gathered at his elbows, exposing the composite mixture of metal, plastics, and myomers that replaced the flesh and blood he had not seen in over fifty years.

April 3081 minus 50+ years is 3030 or earlier. But Thomas Marik got his implants in 3035 at the earliest.

QED.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #53 on: 21 September 2019, 13:54:33 »
Implants yes . . . prosthetics from being close to a big boom that replaced flesh?
Colt Ward

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 21 September 2019, 14:08:26 »
If implants or prosthetics is irrelevant - the big boom was 3035. Not 3030 or before.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2019, 14:26:10 by BoyOfSummer »

abou

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 21 September 2019, 14:41:17 »
Likely an error by the writer. Unless something else is peaking around, everything written both in-universe and out has stated The Master was Thomas Marik.

I would go to the Ask the Writers section.

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 21 September 2019, 15:14:42 »
As far as I've read there was never a confirmation by TPTB - that doesn't mean anything, I know, it could have gone past me.

The same for source books - there was never a confirmation, hard evidence, only assumptions. It fit so damn good, and the people fell in love with it.

But evidence? No. Just a theory, nothing more. A theory proven wrong by this one sentence in J:FR.

It's possible you're correct and the writer made a mistake. But so what?

Personally I don't care who the Master was. He's dead, Jim.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #57 on: 21 September 2019, 15:31:16 »

The sleeves of his white robe gathered at his elbows, exposing the composite mixture of metal, plastics, and myomers that replaced the flesh and blood he had not seen in over fifty years.

April 3081 minus 50+ years is 3030 or earlier. But Thomas Marik got his implants in 3035 at the earliest.
QED.
Well I think it's kind of stupid that they under minded Who the Master was. I mean no one's going to care after how many years later and no one's going to ever find out and I don't know it sounds foolish to throw people off again. Bionics to be replaced I mean that's stupid to me.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #58 on: 22 September 2019, 01:59:42 »

QED.

Claiming that that sentence is evidence of anything other than the author not being pedantically precise is an incredible stretch.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #59 on: 22 September 2019, 02:40:03 »
Maybe Tom really liked his ComStar robes and swears up he did not navel gaze for 5 years.
Colt Ward