Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
On Xin Sheng...

Where COULD the backlash come from? All levels and offices of the capellan political apparatus were thoroughly under the thumb of Romano, opportunitys to organize any form of resistance was completely curtailed before Sun Tzu's rule. They were in no position to lash back when xin sheng came.

The mask? Sun Tzu's father was responsible for it before his rule, then an aging bureaucrat, with very little to gain from any sort of opposition, was named in his stead. Now yes, there was a rogue director with a short tenure, but thats the point, she was offed before she could become a threat.

The CCAF? With the reforms during Romano's reign, any possibility for a high level officer to form a personnal power block was basically curtailed.

The Warrior Houses? Ion Rush was a "suntzuist" from the start.

The prefecture and the house of scions? I don't remember anything much interesting about them during Sun Tzu's rule but its safe to assume they were in too precarious a position following the 4th SW to become a threat to the chancellor's position and wouldn't really have the time to organize themselves to become one in the short time span between Romano's assassination and the start of the Xin Sheng movement.

The nobility? A probably very large part of the nobility could do no other then keep their opposition to themselves less they be visited by the tax collector for years of neglecting their economical duties to the state (tax collecting, or lack thereoff, on the nobles in the confederation is as much a political tool as anything else).

And never forget how a fad can take the world by storm. If its well sold to the people and that there are no alternatives (for much if not all of the media consumed whithin the confederation is state sponsored), it would actually be rather easy to pass it with stunning approval.

The people? History teaches that the masses rarely lash back at liberalization (for, besides the whole "Han Pride" aspect of Xin SHeng, from what I remember of Sun Tzu's reforms, it was pretty much that: liberalisation of the socio-economic aspects of the state) when under a "totalitarian regime" (well...actually I'd say never, can't think of an example on the spot).

And as for "the current system working for someone", just whom benefitted from the romanoist system, besides Romano herself (and perhaps her thuggee supporters, whom weren't that much of a thing as yet back then)?

So pray tell, where could opposition to Xin Sheng come from? The thuggees? Now THAT would be confounding in disbelief (hope I'm using "confounding" rightly, but you get the point).

Off Topic / Re: My running days are over
« Last post by mechnut450 on Today at 18:56:22 »
coming from a person who can't even pedal a bike anymore due to his legs. ( can get all the way around to just about 11  position but i can't get the leg to push forward to complete the loop. ( thankfully I gave a e bike with a throttle to get around on.  I bet it looks weird as once I get going I have to reach over and pick the leg up to get it on the pedal
 But what about  placing some weights on your legs  as you walk to strengthen them. Or  get on some supplement to help with joint pain.  I actually have recently been seeing a Chiropractor  for the leg and back pain ( from Cerebral Palsy) and since then I seen a reduction in the back pain, and the number of falls I have taken.  now if I can just get the drop foot( toe dragging) part fixed I might be alright for another 10 years..
There have been a few, but most of them were originally Inner Sphere civilians who were caught in the Invasion.

But part of my point was when the warriors ignored the lower castes and treated them as not being worth paying attention to, it meant that they would likely speak freely in front of them.
I think it makes sense in the context of the 'total warfare' book, but only in a 'theory crafting a RCT' kind of way.  If you generate a random lance, there is a chance it is BA or ASF, but partly thats due to the fact that TW is a combined arms book, so the aerospace and BA units show up more.

That said, the total warfare method of random units is super flawed, as it only works on the macro level.  They do call out that combinations of units is meant for company sized or larger battles.  If you are playing lance v lance, which is 'most engagements' per the book, then TW recommends 1 unit type.  Further, for 'most' games (4v4), using the random tables instead of players picking the type of unit they want will see games of 4 BA for example versus aerospace some of the time, which is not the intent of the random rolling--and why they say players mostly should pick the unit type they want to play and not roll for unit type.

So while the 'macro' unit generation, like you point out, is ok, the section is prefaced that the game is mostly 'micro', aka 4v4 or so.  Thus, for 'most games', you cant use the random unit type chart.  Btech having very poor 'how to make a force' rules has come up many times, and the tables you point out reinforce this.  Its all due to the 'macro' versus 'actual' gameplay IMHO... too much in btech focuses on the macro side of things without considering what people can actually play on the table/have fun with.
An assault Mech released before any of the well known 3058+ lights or mediums?!
That's Bull Shark!
Not really, no.  It would also kind of defeat the purpose, in a kind of, "Why are you making copies?"

"I'm testing out some house rules and want to be able to easily back out any damage done if the rules are too rough.  But if you want to keep the damage that happens . . ."
Fan Fiction / … And Eat It, Too. A FedCom #1 Rock Hit
« Last post by SANSd20 on Today at 18:46:53 »
Not really sure where to put this, but here is my start of what I hope to be more in-universe music.

https://youtu.be/Pqva5DuM0aQ?si=udbg4r0VDhgePNpv
Mostly, they depict the warriors as ignoring the non-warriors except when giving them orders.
Yeah, afaik, there aren't any non-trueborn lower caste even secondary characters in any of the novels, with the exception of some members of the Society. Can anyone confirm this?
The way in which he broke off his engagement to Isis Marik and somehow didn't kick off an international incident was absurd.
It would be interesting if he just handed them all off to Anastasia to form the core of the new SLDF.  They know her, she knows them, they're probably going to do better than Alaric's Wolves in terms of integrating with former RotS/other IS personnel who might also join up with the SLDF...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10