Author Topic: It has begun....Overlord WIP  (Read 13811 times)

Guroburov

• Corporal
It has begun....Overlord WIP
« on: 24 March 2018, 22:00:04 »

Guess what the next project is?  I've been planning this one out for the last two years and my better half and Minister of Finance finally ok'd the project.  I got a pair of these from Hobby Lobby for 40% off as they're clearing out their Easter stocks.  One will be for my brother (I promised him one years ago).  The other is all mine, bwahahahaha.

-Steve
« Last Edit: 25 March 2018, 21:08:01 by Guroburov »

Guroburov

• Corporal
Re: It has begun....Overlord WIP
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2018, 21:11:35 »
I changed the title in case anyone was browsing the area.  I'm planning on doing progress updates every Friday (my main miniature work day).  So stay tuned.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2018, 23:38:21 »
I built a similar one. I look forward to your progress. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2018, 00:10:00 »
Can't wait to see your masterpiece!! 😁

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2018, 16:53:25 »
Cool Faithless.  I'd browsed the forums for builds but had only seen a Union dropship build here.  I may bombard you with questions as we go along.  I saw the end result of other builds online but no build threads (my google fu hasn't been as good on this quest).  Since the egg opens, I've contemplated putting in some of the interior but will probably pass as that'd be insanely difficult.

-Steve

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2018, 03:47:34 »
I toyed with the idea of doing something like that for mini storage and transport. I just thought the idea of a case that looked like a dropship would be funny. You know funny great as opposed to funny ha ha. Though if it is map scale it can serve both ways. Not sure how many minis it would hold.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2018, 09:54:25 »
Alright not much progress this week, unfortunately.  I've spent my time looking through the bitz bins for parts I've squirreled away for this.  What I've found so far are small cups from cough medicine for the legs along with parts from sprinkler systems I got years ago, as well as tubes from dog poop bags.  These will form parts of the legs but need more parts.  I also found the end caps from paper towel rolls for the engines.  I'd bought practice golf balls I'll split to make the rcs thrusters.  What I've not found: my flexible tape measures to plan out the work and my box of plasticard for the hull and internals.  I'll attach the photo of the bits so far.  I have to clean up my work area to find the plasticard but will have to buy a new tape measure.  Hopefully next week I'll be able to post actual progress.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2018, 17:08:31 »
I am pming you a link to my thread.
Demo Agent #715

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2018, 21:30:43 »
Cool, thanks Faithless.  Nice build.

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2018, 14:42:26 »
Again, not much progress this week.  I finally found my plasticard so next week will improve.  Like Faithless' build, I'll be getting ping pong balls for my turrets after finding the spheres I had were waaaay too big.  My progress this week was in using my dremel to cut apart the practice golf balls and place plastic tabs inside to cover the holes to make my RCS thrusters.  I've also been working on my blueprints to make the parts as close to the right sizes that I can.  I'm hoping next week to mark out and start cutting down the bottom of the egg as well as cutting out the doors and langing gear bays. 

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2018, 15:05:20 »
A new week and a little more progress.  I cut down the bottom of the egg so I can emplace the engine mounts.  I also spent a lot of time measuring and placing markers so I can cut out the doors for the landing gear as well as the mech bays.  Having finished I think the mech bay doors are just too big.  I'm going to remove those and resize them a bit to reduce their width.  Next week I'll cut all the doors out and put the shutters in.  I also put markers for the cargo doors and the aerospace hangers but didn't photograph that.  I cut the ping pong balls up for the turrets.  Next week, I'll drill holes and cut barrels for the weapons.  Part of my delays have been duplicating all the work on the second egg so I can complete both. 

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2018, 15:38:42 »
Nice progress. If I ever get caught up on projects, I will build a second one.
Demo Agent #715

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2018, 15:27:49 »
OK, time for the weekly update.  Why do all these stages take so much longer than I think they should?  I blame all my other projects.   ;D  Seriously, though, I cut out all the doors and drilled out the turrets and cut gun barrels for them.  But that's all I've gotten done this week.  Next week, I plan to have the doors cleaned up and sanded down and the turrets mostly finished.  I had to repair some of the RCS thrusters and will do more on them next week too.  I did get half the landing gear done but just half.  I keep forgetting how many feet this thing has too.   :P
Faithless, I hope you do start a second one soon.  We need an arms race between our Houses, lol.
Here's a progress pic:

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2018, 15:55:43 »
Bulletman wants his helmet back.

No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2018, 21:01:42 »
Never, it's mine now Bulletman.  :D

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2018, 14:21:41 »
Stupid car troubles have taken up most of my miniatures day.  All I managed to do today was finish off the turrets and the last two landing gear.  Sadly I don't have enough parts to make new landing gear for dropship number 2.  I'll have to think of something new for that one.  I also had to repair most of the other landing struts as they broke up.  I need a better glue.  I cut up plastic for the bay doors but realized I'd cut them oriented the wrong way so I'll need more plasticard.  I still haven't figured out how I'm going to tackle the landing gear bays yet.  Hopefully next week will be better.  And have photos of actual progress.

-Steve

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2018, 14:19:13 »

Progress update for the week.  I've got the aerospace doors on.  I finally got the landing gear, turrets and rcs thrusters finished.  I had to resort to using E6000 to hold them as my model cement kept failing.  I'll use some to back the doors as well.  I also glued down the bottom plate for the dropship.  I included an Awesome for scale.  Just ignore the extra turrets and rcs thrusters on the edge of the photo.  They're for the other dropship.
 I'll mount the engines this next week.  I also picked up as much plasticard as my local hobby shop had on hand so I can make the mech bay doors.  I'll also start work on the landing gear bays this next week.  I'll probably have to use E6000 on the hull plates when I get to that stage.  Progress is slow but steady.  I'm finishing another project this weekend so, hopefully, I'll have more time for the dropship.

Steve

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2018, 14:00:46 »

A new week, another update.  :D  I've glued the mech bay doors in the hull.  I still need to add E6000 to the edges to guarantee the hold for those and the aerospace doors.  I've also glued on the engines themselves.  You just can't see them in this pic.  But they're there...trust me.  :D  I bought some plastic electrical boxes and cut them down to fit into the hull to be the landing gear bays.  I'm still cleaning them up and may put plasticard in the bottom to neaten them up.  That's the ugly blue thing on the side (which is incidentally upside down in the pic).  I just can't fit them in right now as the clamps are all in the way.  Gluing them in should be an interesting challenge.  Once those are in I can mount the landing gear and the open bay doors.  I still need to work on the cargo bay doors and start cutting up the hull plates for later addition.  Again, the awesome just shows the scale of the various parts.  As always, comments, suggestions, and popcorn are welcome.

Steve

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2018, 15:39:37 »
Okay, its been killing me . . . I admit . . . I am just wondering if you are trolling us since that is a Zeus with the DS in the last two pictures rather than a Awesome.  When you say you have cut down the blue electric box, what do you mean?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2018, 16:20:59 »
Okay, its been killing me . . . I admit . . . I am just wondering if you are trolling us since that is a Zeus with the DS in the last two pictures rather than a Awesome.  When you say you have cut down the blue electric box, what do you mean?

It is totally an Awesome, as piloted by the fine folks over at Greenburg's Godzillas as per Field manual: Mercenaries Revised, page 131:

GREENBURG’S GODZILLAS (C)
The Godzillas techs can mock up the exterior of any ’Mech
to appear like any other. When using the Concealing
Information rules (see p. 51, Maximum Tech) this deception
can be performed with up to half of the ’Mechs fielded in a scenario.
The controlling player must designate the type and the
precise model being mimicked on a scrap of paper before the
game starts.

An opponent only becomes aware of the deception when a
’Mech so altered performs an action that does not match the
performance profile of the unit it is mimicking (such as fire a
weapon it should not have, moving faster than it should or
jumping when it can’t). A unit mounting an active probe moving
into effective range automatically uncovers the deception.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2018, 23:42:02 »
I know my awesome is on the floor somewhere nearby.  Must be my old age killing me  8).  Or maybe I just don't which mech I'm taking photos of.  The blue box on the right side of the picture is an electrical outlet box.  I cut the thing down to give the edge a curve so it'll fit snugly into the egg.  I should have turned the box to show the cut better.  All I can make out right now is the rough top edge.  I'll get a better photo in the morning.

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2018, 23:54:48 »

Didn't feel like waiting and most likely forgetting to take the photo.  I reoriented the box to be the right side up and to show the cut line better.  The Awesome was nearby so I pulled him in.  Can't believe I kept writing the wrong name though in the previous posts.  I also included my Hunchie in urban cammo.  Just because. 

Steve

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2018, 02:56:22 »
Okay, I see what you are doing with that box . . . expect any problems b/c the box is more rigid/sturdy than the shell of the egg?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2018, 19:25:18 »
I sure hope it doesn't give me any problems.  I plan to tack it in place with super glue and then e6000 the edges to lock them in.  I still have to look at if I want to add plasticard to the interior.  This week will be odd working with these boxes.  I think the hardest part will be adding the landing gear to the boxes.

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2018, 13:37:51 »
No progress was made this week as I had a variety of projects handed to me to occupy all my time.  And my A/C went out and am waiting on the repair crew to arrive and work above my workspace.  Next week I'll get back on track.  I also have to figure out how I'm going to glue in the boxes as my other glue failed to tack it down.  I may have to try to build a jig to let me put in all the boxes. Has anyone seen my Legos?  They usually do the trick for me.   8)

Steve

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2018, 17:30:26 »
Try some R T V for your tack. That stuff will hold most anything

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2018, 18:40:35 »
Cool, thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2018, 20:27:20 »
NP

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 01 June 2018, 10:28:20 »

Sorry for the long delay on progress.  I've had repairmen all over the place for the last few weeks so I haven't had a chance until today to get work done.  Nothing seems to want to stick to the egg but I managed to finally put two landing pod bays in and attach the thrusters.  Next week I'll hopefully get two more bays in and attach the turrets.  I still need to put cargo bay doors in as well but that can wait longer.  I'm also working on the landing bay door panels but that'll take a good bit longer to do.  Everything is taking too long. 

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #29 on: 01 June 2018, 10:30:57 »
Have you tried roughing up the areas where you are gluing? Also, what adhesives are you using?
Demo Agent #715

Register