Author Topic: The price of A Time of War  (Read 2185 times)

WargameHub

• Private
The price of A Time of War
« on: 07 October 2013, 10:17:12 »
What is going on with the price?  I'm trying to find A Time of War and everywhere online has it for $150+. 
Battletech player since 1994, 100+ minis plus maps and terrain (including buildings).  Looking for other players in the area.

Used to have a lot of posts under a different ID, but that one kept getting wiped out so I took a few years off from the forum.

Favorite mech, the original Goshawk.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: The price of A Time of War
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2013, 12:14:43 »
looks li9ke it may be out of print atm and so the only "real" way to get it atm is the pdf, that's still $15.00 the print version SHOULD be around $40-50ish ... if you can find it

WargameHub

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2013, 12:30:57 »
From what I've found since postin it's not out of print.  Just seriously price gouged due to being out of stock everywhere.
Battletech player since 1994, 100+ minis plus maps and terrain (including buildings).  Looking for other players in the area.

Used to have a lot of posts under a different ID, but that one kept getting wiped out so I took a few years off from the forum.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2013, 12:42:45 »
From what I've found since postin it's not out of print.  Just seriously price gouged due to being out of stock everywhere.
sorry terminology issue out of stock in the gaming industry can be equated to "temporarily out of print due to stock being depleted until a new print run is authorized." 

the problem is there are a whole bunch of people who have price management "bots" who's reaction to limited availability is to start jacking up the price. assuming another print run is released shortly (question for TPTB) the prices should come right back down.  as to weather another run will be released, that really comes down to if they feel there is enough demand to get a decent return on printing more :)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2013, 13:43:31 »
sorry terminology issue out of stock in the gaming industry can be equated to "temporarily out of print due to stock being depleted until a new print run is authorized." 
Whatever the Hell that means, even BattleShop has only PDF available...
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2013, 14:59:40 »
We collected errata a short while back for a new reprint, which presumably means stock is low or almost non-existent, and a new printing is somewhere around the corner.  It will have errata corrections.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2013, 16:32:05 »
Whatever the Hell that means, even BattleShop has only PDF available...

I look at as a supply vs estimated demand vs actual demand issue.

if they estimate that the demand will be 10,000 units and print 8000 units (what they can afford) and estimate that they will sell out in 3 months, but in fact sell out in 1-2 months then the reasonable assumption is that they under estimated the demand, you then typically with turn around and authorize (request) another print run, the question is do you assume the demand will be satisfied by another 4000 units, or that there is enough demand to justify another 8,000 unit run or more? less?  that's all stuff outside my experience IE estimating market demand.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2013, 13:56:16 »
What is going on with the price?  I'm trying to find A Time of War and everywhere online has it for $150+.

The online stores typically have auto-pricing algorithms that are designed for items that have far more units available than your typical game book print run.  They adjust pricing based on the percentage of total units moved within a certain time frame and pricing on competing sites.  With small batches of product this can lead to the programs artificially inflating the price as the books are sold (OMG I just sold 25% of the run in 1 week, raise the price!!!) which competing sites' algorithms see, triggering them to raise their price to a similar level and then a vicious cycle begins.

-Jackmc

WargameHub

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2013, 18:10:05 »
Another Battletech player (in another state) recommended a LGS which has some copies for retail.  I picked up two (so two of the four players will have paper copies).  The store was really friendly and shipped them to me even though they don't normally ship things.

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2013, 20:56:04 »
See, that puts the "friendly" in Friendly Local Game Store.   O0
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

WargameHub

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2013, 21:05:46 »
They still have one of the Limited edition copies too.