Author Topic: Trying to start.  (Read 1353 times)

XenoRunner

• Recruit
Trying to start.
« on: 27 February 2015, 14:16:01 »
Hello everyone. I have been a huge fan of mech ever since I could remember but for some reason I haven't heard of this till a year ago. Anyways I just would like some advice on which rule books I should get to start playing. I have time of war, and getting the 25th anniversary set soon. I am looking to try both the rpg and strategy game. Any help would be great thank you.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Trying to start.
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2015, 20:33:11 »
Welcome.

The PDFs of the core books are $15 US so depending on your budget I'd recommend picking up the full set of Total Warfare, Tech Manual, Tactical Operations, and Strategic Operations.

Interstellar Operations is still being worked on but based on what the devs are letting leak it is progressing rather well and will have the most strategic level of the game in it.

There's been some bloat so not everything has gotten into the books that they were intended for.

Alphastrike could also be worth looking at as an alternative to have larger scale combats without eating up too much time.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
Re: Trying to start.
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2015, 21:34:20 »
  The RPG and tabletop/board game are two separate games that can be combined, although I strongly recommend reviewing Total War and learning the tabletop/board game first, then teaching your players, as the RPG usually centers around combat missions in Battlemechs. Once your players are comfortable playing out Battlemech battles, the RP will be somewhat easier.
  While learning the board game, you can teach your players about the universe, the factions and the options for RPG characters.l

I'm running a campaign where one player is new to Battletech and the board game and it took me a while to beat the D&D mentality out of him -He'd charge at the enemy and expect to drop a target every turn, then the enemy would concentrate fire on his 'Mech and he'd wind up ejecting. In the end, he had to be stripped of command and placed on a tight leash under one of the more experienced players.