Author Topic: Nikita's Heavy Cav group discussion  (Read 32544 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Nikita's Heavy Cav group discussion
« Reply #30 on: 08 November 2011, 06:14:25 »
Code: [Select]
[quote author=whistler link=topic=11513.msg296088#msg296088 date=1320734416]
... (we'll go through FWL space after all...)

thoughts?
[/quote]
We will/did?  Was that prior to hitting Solaris?

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #31 on: 08 November 2011, 14:20:11 »
speaking from the time we arrived at Loley, we did.  the stretch from New Earth to Solaris VII took us through the FWL border worlds.
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 08 November 2011, 14:32:38 »

now, if i were to pull some JJ mods... 'Claw, it would be up to you bro.  i put together a mod but if you went with it the design would be all your call.
Code: [Select]
- Grand Dragon* (PPC, ML, SRM 6 w/ 1 ton ammo, 2 HS, 5 JJs)
  Cronus (we'll go through FWL space after all...)
thoughts?

My thoughts are that I am OK either way with the Mech Mods.    As far as the Cronus goes, I don't think those exist yet on that timeline.

Warclaw

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 08 November 2011, 15:09:55 »
per clarification regarding the TROs and the War of '39 sourcebook, production of the original Cronus began in 3015, five years after the introduction of the Merlin.  i would reference the page, but unfortunately i can't now. :-\  i had asked about several SW-era mechs that showed up in later TROs for the purposes of this game; mechs like the Chameleon, Striker, Merlin, Cronus, Gladiator, etc.  i wish some others like the Lineholder counted as well, if only for flavor.

at least i am pretty sure my numbers are right.  i do know, at the very least, that the general eras are correct.

i for one was already going to be switching to a T-Bolt rebuild that basicly put mashed the three SW variants into one machine... the MLs and MGs of the -5S, the PPC and SRMs of the -5SS, and the JJs of the -SE.  we'll see how the others feel... it would be nice to make the entire unit truely mobile, but i don't want to force a mech (or config) on you or Vlad.  part of the reason is the fact that i am changing how i do combat... in order to speed things up i am going to try using Quickstrike rules instead of full CBT.  that way i will have an oppertunity to mold some of the damage as needed to keep a player in the game longer or keep someone from dying of a headcap.  it's pretty much what i was doing since i took over, but the Quickstrike rules will make my job easier.but i don't want to force a mech (or config) on you or Vlad.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2011, 15:16:01 by whistler »
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 08 November 2011, 19:47:56 »
@Whistler:

I can definitely see the reasoning behind the proposed Grand Dragon Mod.

I can work with it either way.  I think my inclination though is to retain the Mech in its normal configuration for now.  But, what I would say is, keep the possibility open that if we acquire/salvage a good jumping mech, Ken might drive that one for a bit and keep the Grand Dragon in reserve.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 08 November 2011, 20:26:04 »
all i needed to know.  :)  roster is finalized, working on rewriting some things and nailing down a few others.

i'm excited :D

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 08 November 2011, 21:18:30 »
I gotta say, my thoughts mirror Warclaw's almost exactly.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 12 November 2011, 18:17:22 »
alright guys, i'm going to start posting everything up.  please wait until i've given you the word in the thread, as i have several posts that need to go up.  they are going up in a particular order, so whenever you are writing a post you can get the info you need at a glance.  thanks for your patience. O0

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 12 November 2011, 18:31:58 »
Woot!

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 12 November 2011, 18:56:25 »
look but dont touch! :D

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 12 November 2011, 21:50:44 »
alright guys, you're free.  if you want to talk with me, an NPC, or amongst yourselves, then please do.  i try to leave some gaps in time so we can all talk.  i will give you all some time to post, then move us on.

the game begins.  i really hope you guys enjoy it :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 13 November 2011, 10:01:45 »
Looking over Xotl's RATs, he has a nice list of design quirks for canon mechs (pages 70-74).  If we're playing with those, I'd like to drop "Command Mech" and "Cramped Cockpit" (which cancel out point-wise), and add "Difficut Ejection" to the already present "Difficult to Maintain" to pay for the standard Tek BattleCom ("Improved Comms").

Here's the standard table entry:
Wolverine
Command Mech**, Fast Reload (AC/5), Improved Comms; Cramped Cockpit**, Difficult To Maintain (6M and 6R only)

The **'s are Xotl's note that those are assigned explicitly in Strat Ops (pages 193 and 196, respectively).

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 15 November 2011, 00:09:32 »
i'm a happy man  : D  it's extremely rewarding to see you guys going along so well... it's gonna' be a great game, and it really makes all the prep work feel worthwhile. :)  okay, so a few things (ie rambling torrent of smashed-together information).

Daryk, we kinda use the design quirks... but kinda don't at the same time.  fluff much more than rules.  it's hard to explain, especially since we don't have the old game to reference, but i think i can give you a good example with my own cockpit's setup. 

it's a complex setup, but that's what i like.  i've got both hardware and software upgrades in my mech, one of which has become quite prominent.  the technologies and descriptions i use are based on established BT technology, combined with technological advances since the 80s.  i know BT is supposed to be the future of the 80s, but i think it's foolish to not modify our expectations of what the future may hold.  technically our current drone technology is more advanced than what is in the BT universe, not to mention other non-combat fields, so i don't feel bad about advancing BT tech to compensate.  in my mind some things, like advanced holographic technology, computer technology, networking and telecoms, and other 'basic' technologies can be advanced in this game.  perhaps hologram / VW technology in the Inner Sphere is far more advanced than we think, and that while the big systems used on WarShips may be gone there are still systems that we consider sci-fi now but are so common that they are not thought of as 'advanced tech'.  i always picture Minority Report... large gestural interfaces, not nessicaily holographic, but screens and ads on everything from breakfast cerial to roll-out monitors.  i am willing to bet 3025 is far more advanced than any of us think.

so, let me give you my example.  i've got an advanced AI system, an advanced imaging and comm system, and waldo units (basically gloves i can wear so my mech's hand / arm movements will mimic my own).  explanations: from the beginning AI systems have been in mechs, but have always been downplayed.  in the Mechwarrior Compendium and other RP-based books it states that the vast majority of pilots simply disable the systems (to explain why we don't see them more often).  i leave mine active.  i've built up a massive RP history of how i got the system (which, admittedly, was easy because i'm the GM...) and how it works, and to me it seems reasonable.  i was raised on Star Trek so for me talking to computers and having genuine relationships with technology / AI is natural.  i used everything i've read in the Battletech universe to piece together a system i wanted and made it work, so i feel it's okay.  she helps me manage comms and other functions without having to spend all my time punching buttons, which makes directing a battle easier. when i am describing what i am doing in my cockpit i'll be talking to my 'co-pilot' AI, describing how my holographic imaging system works (similar to fluffed ASF cockpits... in the cockpit I 'see' right through the hull), and describing using my waldo units to get more fine motor control with my mech's arms and hands.

realistically, these things do not have any effect on the game.  i may have Grace helping me out, but i don't get any kind of bonuses... same for the imagining system.  the waldos are a bit different, and may be more questionable... it's a bit easier to land physical attacks and i can do some things that are rarely seen in BT novels, but nothing really new.  i truly believe that these mods do not give me any kind of real or regular advantage (and trust me, i've had to take a hard look at some of my ideas and censor myself :P).  more than anything, these systems are a way of personalizing my ride... making an otherwise normal, off the line Thunderbolt into MY mech.  my FAMILY'S mech.  that was one of the things that drew me into Battletech... generations of warriors poured their blood, sweat, and tears into these machines, and over the centuries that gave them a soul.  if you have ideas or modifications that go with this staple of Battletech fiction, then i am probably going to allow it.  in fact, i encourage it.

since that is the case, i won't force you to balance out one or two mods.  around half a dozen, you'll need to start making some cuts.  if they introduce modifiers into my calculations we'll need to talk about it, but that doesn't mean i won't allow it.  we just need to make sure things get nailed down properly.  so, Daryk, if you want an improved comm system, you got it.  at the end of our first tour Warclaw wanted to salvage a Cyclops' C3 system (not CBT C3, regular command / control / comms) and he got it.  most of the time these mods are only going to be used by you, the player, when you are describing your actions during a battle.  if you want to add the negative quirks then more power to you... you won't get a penalty unless you make the quirk one that really does need to be balanced.

the same basic rules go for personal equipment.  the count for personal items is separate from mech mods, but is subject to the same kind of GM review.  that's kinda why i asked for personal items in the character profiles, and i didn't see anything too extreme.  you can pick up things as you see fit, with the understanding that on rare occasions i may need to veto your gear.

next: i am loving the character interactions.  it seems like you guys have nailed the system down pretty well.  i can tell you that, if i have bothered to put something out there (like James' cold shoulder regarding Monica) then i've already got a response ready and a sub-arc laid out.  Warclaw already knows the drill and is playing it perfectly (thats why he's the XO :D), but i wanted to make sure you all knew it was fine.  in fact, you don't need to 'wait' for me... most of the time a player tossing an interaction or serious in-game question at me as part of our dialog will give me ideas, so it's actually kind of helpful. 

i know i kinda took over your characters for that first post... it's an extremely rare event.  i will always try to let you make your own responses, and if i need your character to say or do something to move the story along i will talk to you about it.  trust me, things get stale if Justin (or even one of the other GM controlled NPCs) are the only ones pushing things forward.

something i forgot to mention that's important: i am issuing each of you two extremely important pieces of gear.  first, a data pad.  think of it as a 31st century iPad.  this way your character will always receive any paperwork, maps, or briefings i've handed out in-game, even if your character isn't present at the time.  it also gives you a journal, a personal assistant... whatever apps you can come up with.  this is like your real cell phone... it will always be on you.  it's designed to fit in the side pocket of your uniform's or jumpsuit's pants, and is built to withstand the rigors of combat.  short of taking a direct bullet hit, your pad is indestructible.  that brings me to the second part of the package: your headset.  basically a modern Bluetooth headset, encrypted for a secure link and snaps into your pad when it isn't in your ear.  this is one of those things that doesn't show up in Battletech... so there is no confusion, you all have these 'cellphones'.  i got in a big argument once because a player contended that cellphones are not canon in Battletech, but now it isn't an issue.  it's like the ear-clip cellphones from the Fringe alternate universe that everyone always wears at all times (because they are so small).  everyone's 'numbers' and 'email addresses' are on your pads, so i can always reach you no matter where you are (if you are, say, captured and stripped of your gear or in a hardened room, that's obviously different and you will know) and you can easily reach each other.

since all of you have posted, this is when i generally start moving us forward.  if you DO have something to add once the timeline is advanced, that's fine, just make note of it.  also, you don't need to use the BT location blurb every post (unless you want to)... i will be using it as a marker for you guys so you know when the date and / or location changes.

also, for you new guys... i want you to know that there is always a chance i'll drop off the grid for a few days to a week.  long story short, i had spinal cord tumor removed in middle school (2000), so my nervous system is pretty much shot.  crazy things happen to me all the time, from simply feeling like hammered spit to a few days in the hospital (two weeks ago).  sometimes i'll have my best friend update my facebook status for me at times like that, so that can be a way to see where i am if i am out for a bit.  the only reason i even considered restarting the game was because i managed to get off the medication rollercoaster that ended the first attempt, but still... you never know.  so, if you want to email or add me i'm at my name (Merritt Maya) with no spaces on google's email service.

okay, that's it!  i am glad you guys have been posting so frequently :D
« Last Edit: 15 November 2011, 00:20:42 by whistler »

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 15 November 2011, 00:14:48 »
after writing all that, i still forget something i need to as... #P

Panzer, my friend.  it seems like i didn't properly remember how your helmate setup works.  i know we figured it out back in the day, but i had you listed as being the only man in your tank... i could have sworn that was it.  if you can spell out how many men it removes (if it even does that, i may be confused) i would appreciate it.  after we work it out i'll go back and fix it.

if there is anything you need me to correct or think i am missunderstanding, let me know.  i want to make sure it is right and written down, for your reference and mine.

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 15 November 2011, 05:55:41 »
after writing all that, i still forget something i need to as... #P

Panzer, my friend.  it seems like i didn't properly remember how your helmate setup works.  i know we figured it out back in the day, but i had you listed as being the only man in your tank... i could have sworn that was it.  if you can spell out how many men it removes (if it even does that, i may be confused) i would appreciate it.  after we work it out i'll go back and fix it.

if there is anything you need me to correct or think i am missunderstanding, let me know.  i want to make sure it is right and written down, for your reference and mine.

No biggie. Actually, I pulled this idea from one of the previous canon designs under those "notable pilots and machines" fluff. Can't remember where the hell I got it from though. However, back than, I was running a Saladin, so it was rather easy to imagine that Hong Yu could run the entire Sally's driving and shooting by himself, plus a comms guy.

With a Drillson being fluffed that the gunner would actually have The Evil Eye targeting and tracking system, a revolutionary
360-degree vision system similar to the heads-up display in BattleMech targeting systems. Furthermore, the Drillson has a rather much larger arsenal of weapons, so I wouldn't want to have Hong Yu driving the entire tank on his own like a super-speed 'Mech. As such, maybe we can retain the enhanced manoeuvrability special skills that you gave Hong Yu previously (and I guess the other 3 Drillsons as well), but in this case, it wouldn't reduce the crew on the tank. Sounds reasonable?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 15 November 2011, 19:18:26 »
Daryk, we kinda use the design quirks... but kinda don't at the same time.  fluff much more than rules.  it's hard to explain, especially since we don't have the old game to reference, but i think i can give you a good example with my own cockpit's setup. 
most of the time these mods are only going to be used by you, the player, when you are describing your actions during a battle.  if you want to add the negative quirks then more power to you... you won't get a penalty unless you make the quirk one that really does need to be balanced.
Great, thanks!  I think I'll stick with the negative traits I've already mentioned and hold them in reserve in case I manage to lay hands on "real" Wolverine electronics (i.e. the "Command Mech" positive quirk).  I'm still dreaming of a Blazer Cannon someday, too.  That'll need at least a Cooling Jacket, if not two.

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 16 November 2011, 00:05:25 »
i know BT is supposed to be the future of the 80s

I cannot complain about your 'moving past' this attitude due to Monica's lack of 'Whitesnake Hair'.*nods*

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 16 November 2011, 01:21:23 »
personally, i think all sci-fi (but especially Battletech) has greatly improved as time has gone on.  not only do writers and fans take everything more seriously, but it's totally mainstream.  the stories have gotten more serious and realistic as a result (within certain bounds, of course), so i think parts of the setting should be fluid and moved along as well.  the worst part of early BT was the artwork... my god, the art.  the designs were okay, though for the longest time i didn't understand why the stats never matched up.  the character drawings were alot worse though, as you've pointed out...

anyway, Daryk pointing something out to me earlier... i really need to give you guys more background on Monica and some of the unit's history.  she was originally a character i created for the first arc, and she had played a pretty significant role so i was going to run her myself as an NPC.  however, Vlad had asked me about playing the character so i gave Monica to her.

so, i will try to make this as short yet coherent as possible.  basically, in the first game the bad guys were a large group of ex-Davion warriors, wanted for civilian damages wrought on an unauthorized raid into Liao space.  basically a green-as-grass officer took command of a unit so new it wasn't even on the books.  he got some bad / unproven intel and ran with it, and ended up assaulting a civilian fuel depot instead of a military one.  not only was the depot blown away, but a school and other civilian facilities as well.  the new officer did the logical thing; he paniced, knowing that he was, at best, going to loose his stripes and be tossed into the stockade for life.  at worst, he would have been turned over to the Cappies for 'trial'.  so, after planning out their escape with other members of the unit (namely the ones who had actually done the planning and shooting of the depot), they trumped up some orders and moved into the Periphery.  they found a cushy 'contract' serving as a despot's personal army... but after a few weeks things started to go sideways.  the vast majority of the unit was completely innocent at this time, but since they had cut and run with the rest of the unit they were considered full-on war criminals.  now naturally some of the troops reacted differently from others... some were horrified, others were depressed, and others really got into the whole outlaw lifestyle.  by the time the Heavy Cav arrived the Davions were quite fractured, and the internal divisions were becoming readily apparent. 

Monica was one of the seriously disillusioned individuals in the enemy camp... she was innocent of any wrong doing and just wanted to stop living a lie, even if it meant going back to the Suns to face the music.  most of her comrades had regressed into thugs, and she was no longer living a military life... she was part of a gang.  capturing her mid-way through the campaign ended up being a truely pivotal moment for us, because when we learned the truth about our opponents we got a serious leg up.  before our final push to the capital we exposed them, but promised any ed-Davions who didn't fight that they would be given new identities (if they passed a kind of background check, naturally).  enough Davions defected for us to have a fighting chance, and Monica even fought with us during the battle. 

as alluded to in her character profile, Monica's identity has been rewirtten so she shows up as a Tanguray native in ours and planetary records.  it's without a doubt the biggest secret the unit has, and it's her own personal dark secret.  her true family still thinks... well, they don't know what to think.  they don't know if she's actually a war criminal, or if she is even still alive.  she's had to sacrifice that part of her life in order to start over.  we've benefited greatly from taking them in as well... half of our unit is listed as 'Tanguray natives', which makes sense considering Nikita Pavlov (the Nikita in our name) is the planet's ruler.  while some of these men and women are indeed from the Periphery, the majority are ex-AFFC / Davion.  much of our replacement gear is salvage taken from the unit, as well as our DropShip transport.  everyone recognizes that it's in their best interest to keep the ex-Davion's secret, though some are still not thrilled by the prospect.

as you've no doubt surmised, James Horvath (chosen because he's one of my directly-controlled-at-all-times NPCs) is one of them.  he doesn't question their skill, and even finds many of the likable enough... however, he has his reasons for not trusting his former enemies or wanting to get close to them.  i'll let you guys find out exactly why.

Well I did put a lot of it in her character profile...

not to take anything away from your efforts, of course.  i simply mean that the character heself existed before you signed on, which makes her something of a unique exception to the typical rules and methods of the game.

sorry if this post is rambling or messed up structurally / grammatically... my evening meds are pretty much dragging me under, so i'll have to modify and proof this post tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2011, 02:08:44 by whistler »

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #48 on: 16 November 2011, 01:37:01 »
Well I did put a lot of it in her character profile...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 16 November 2011, 05:39:17 »
As a new hire, would Vicelli know any of that?  I suspect not.  If he does note any inconsistencies in their files, he'll probably overlook them based on his own history.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 16 November 2011, 15:24:52 »
going by The Claw's post, and so you can get James' version of events, assume that you do not know "The Truth".

dun-dun-DUUUNNNNNNNNN!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 16 November 2011, 21:15:34 »
Roger that!  Ignorance is bliss... :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 17 November 2011, 22:27:09 »
Sorry for the lack of posts the last couple of days.  Work has been 14-15 hours each day, and tomorrow isn't looking too promising either.  If not tomorrow, I'll definitely have a post up over the weekend.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 17 November 2011, 22:39:43 »
don't worry about it man.  the game is set up to compensate for people with lives.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 18 November 2011, 16:28:38 »
you know what i just realized?  planning our little "welcome home" party i forgot part of the Cav's uniform... mech jocks and tankers can wear 31st century spurs with their uniforms as they see fit.

as much as i like the final results of putting things into Paint.net to make them look like authentic documents, i always end up leaving something out that i can't go back and fix.  oh well.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 01 December 2011, 21:53:22 »
hey guys :)

sorry about dropping out of sight for a bit, but it was kinda unavoidable.  the last two weeks have been... well, rough.  i should have us back on track by tomorrow night.  i appreciate your patience. :)

GreyJaeger

• Sergeant
  • Prepare for War.
« Reply #56 on: 01 December 2011, 22:07:35 »
hey guys :)

sorry about dropping out of sight for a bit, but it was kinda unavoidable.  the last two weeks have been... well, rough.  i should have us back on track by tomorrow night.  i appreciate your patience. :)

Not a problem. I know the feeling.
"The deep pain that is felt at the death of every friendly soul arises from the feeling that there is in every individual something which is inexpressible, peculiar to him alone, and is, therefore, absolutely and irretrievably lost."
~Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #57 on: 02 December 2011, 01:35:40 »
Not a prob.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 02 December 2011, 05:31:40 »
No worries!  Work has been a bit rough on my end too.

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #59 on: 04 December 2011, 18:42:55 »
Weird question:  What's the NHC's pay cycle like?  And would Monica had accumulated six months wages since they lifted off from Tanguary?

Register