Author Topic: A Fist Full of C-Bills - Character Background thread  (Read 18645 times)

codesurge

• Recruit
  • This space for rent.
Re: A Fist Full of C-Bills - Character Background thread
« Reply #60 on: 19 January 2013, 03:23:32 »
Bay One
Dropship Stainless Chrome
Port Matilda Landing Field
Port Matilda
Fallon II
Federated Commonwealth
08-01-3033 - 21:10Z

Saori grunted as she lifted the box of personal belongings out of the cockpit of her Wolfhound and handed it over to the skinny dark-skinned young woman who was standing on the crane’s elevated platform. Veronica Ramirez was one of the unit’s techs, perhaps a few years younger than herself and still learning the basics of electronics repair. Though Veronica was far from being a fully qualified ‘Mech tech, she was a walking encyclopedia of ‘Mech knowledge – she had been able to identify just about every ‘Mech variant onboard the DropShip, including the hodgepodge ‘Mech that had begun life as a Rifleman. Streaks of dyed blonde through her brown hair were marks of an independent streak that Saori had started to respect.

Of the various techs who had helped her secure her ‘Mech in the corner of Bay One, Veronica had been the friendliest and not knowing any other people onboard the DropShip, Saori had asked for her assistance with taking some boxes out of her ‘Mech’s cockpit. Veronica had agreed in return for a drink and more information about how she obtained her Wolfhound.

Reaching back into the recesses behind her ejection seat, Saori handed over the second box to Veronica before clambering out of the cockpit onto the platform, hitting the button to secure the hatch behind her. As the hatch hissed shut, the tech pulled the control lever that lowered the crane’s arm to the bay floor.

“What the heck do you have in these? Gold bars?” grumped Veronica as she hoisted a long box onto her right shoulder and started walking towards the service elevator that would bring them to the living quarters onboard the Stainless Chrome.

“I wish they were,” quipped Saori as she followed behind, half-struggling with a shorter, wider box that held some clothes and personal mementos that she’d been taking along her journeys. “If I had a c-bill for every time someone asked me that question, I’d probably be able to afford gold bars.”

Veronica laughed and pushed the up button, eliciting a soft mechanical whine from the elevator shaft. The doors opened ahead of them, revealing an older heavyset man whose blonde hair was shot through with white hair.

“Which floor are you ladies going to?” prompted the man with a kindly smile as they stepped into the elevator.

“Habitation level please, Mr. Haddurson,” replied Veronica, returning the elder man’s smile. Saori heard the stranger’s voice and realized it sounded.. familiar. It took a few moments before she realized where she’d heard that accent before – her home planet of Rasalhague.

“Saori?”

Veronica’s voice snapped her back to the present moment as she set her crate on the floor and finally shook the hand that was proffered to her by the man.

“Sorry about that. I’m Saori Haruka and I’m with the expedition team. Who do I have the pleasure of meeting?”

“Baldur Haddurson. Ship’s helmsman and part-time purser,” chuckled the man as he crossed his arms and leaned against the elevator wall. “By your accent, I would assume that you’re from..”

“… Rasalhague!” finished Saori for him. “I was trying to remember where I’d heard that accent before! It’s truly a small galaxy, isn’t it?”

“Aye, but it’s been a long while since I’ve been back home. That’s the nature of the spacer’s life; once you leave you never know when you’ll be back again. Perhaps someday,” Baldur replied with a wistful look on his face.

“That’s true. You never know though, especially with our destination being in Kuritan space.”

The elevator ground to a halt as she spoke, the opening of the doors interrupting the end of her sentence. As Baldur stepped out of the elevator, he patted Saori on the shoulder.

“It’s truly good to see another Rasalhagian onboard. I’m sorry that I can’t stay and chat, but the Captain has asked me to review our travel plans. And you know that she’s one tough cookie who doesn’t put up with delays to her schedule. I’ll see you two ladies around,” smiled Baldur as he gave them a wave.

Waving back as the doors slid shut, Saori was happy to have a fellow Rasalhagian on the same trip. While she might have been far from home, it made her feel just a tiny bit less homesick. The good feeling was quickly compartmentalized and stowed away as she turned her attention to her next task - sorting through her existing collection of winter wear to see if she needed to supplement it with any purchases from Fallon II before departure.
"To find out more about the military lifestyle, the producers sent us off to join a mercenary unit. I mean, how hard can it be?" - Unknown

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 20 January 2013, 05:52:52 »
Office 31, 2278 Miranda Davion Avenue
Port Miranda, Fallon II
January 3, 3033
1606Z

Jameson N'Koma and Tomasina Marzano were sitting in the outer office waiting for the prospective employer to call them in. The two had spent the past day and a half talking about leaving and decided that they would go on this expedition, if Mr. Rabagliati were willing to hire them. They did not have to wait too long, as receptionist sitting at the desk hung up the phone and told them to go on in.

They opened the door and, after shaking hands with Mr. Rabagliati, were told take a seat.

"Sorry for the wait. I'm Johannes Rabagliati, the leader of this venture. You must be Mr. N'Koma and Miss Marzano. So, what brings the two of you here.”?

"You don't remember us do you, Mr. Rabagliati?" asked Jameson.

"No, I don't. Where have we met? replied a quizzical Johannes.

Looking at Tommy, "Wasn't it four, maybe five years ago, now."

Tommy answered "Four and a half years. July of 3028, during the "pirate" raid"

"That's it. We picked you up on the top of that cliff. You were in and out of it, so that' probably why you don't recall."

"That was bad day. I lost the family 'Mech and a couple of friends that day"

"Yeah, a bad day, but the militia beat those Drac raider, err "pirates', off in the end."

"Well, if I didn't say it then, I'll say it now. Thanks, to both of you for picking me up and probably saving my life."

"No worries, Mutt. We just did our job that day, even managed to put a couple of missiles into the back of that Dragon that took you out."

"Thanks again, so, back to my original question, what brings you here?"

"We've recently become unemployed and looking for something different. A chance to get off Fallon is even better."

"Do you feel the same way, Miss Marzano?"

"Call me, Tommy, please, Sir. Pretty much. Wherever Jingo goes, I go."

"Jingo? Interesting nickname. My friends call me Mutt."

"Yeah, I've had it since I was a kid."

Mutt looked the two of them over and saw that the two had a shared kinship and had probably known each other for a long time. "What can you two bring to this mission?"

"Well, I'm VTOL pilot and fly anything from Ferret to a Cobra to a Karnov. Tommy has been my crew chief and mechanic since I joined the militia a dozen years ago. We've the best of friends ever since."

"That's good to know, Jingo. Do you have your own VTOL?"

"Sure do. I just acquired the papers to a Marten VTOL. All we have to do is put the missiles back on her."

"Is that the same bird you picked me up with?"

"Jingo, Tommy, I'm going to cut this interview short. Anybody that risks their lives to save mine can have a job with me anytime. It's the least I can do."

Tommy and Jingo looked at each other. "Thanks, Mutt" said Jingo, "just one question, how much does it pay?"

"There's the rub, Jingo" said Mutt. “This is a recovery mission and everyone involved will get a share of what we recover. It could be a lot or it could be nothing. That's the risk we are taking on this trip."

"Sounds worth it to me. What about you, Tommy"

Giving Jingo a knowing smile, "I said it before, Jingo. Wherever you go, I go. It's just that simple."

"Glad to have you both. Just one thing, you two are responsible for the care of your Marten. If necessary, I could probably make some sort of restitution once the job is done."

" No worries, Mutt, between the two of us, we've got enough scratch to keep the 'Wakka Dakka' in the air for a good while."

"Good, the two of you can report to the Stainless Chrome as soon as possible. Space is limited, but if you get there quick enough you should be able to get you pick of billets."

All three shook hands as they parted ways.

« Last Edit: 21 January 2013, 05:23:03 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 21 January 2013, 00:07:00 »
Bunk Room 3
Port Matilda
Fallon II
Federated Commonwealth
08-01-3033 - 22:25Z

Hart's spirits had risen when a couple of the other 'jocks had been forced to pull out, for one reason or another.  It wasn't any particular coldness on his part.  Firstly, everyone on this little jaunt was a fringe type, like him.  Forced to get by as best they could, taking jobs for lowlifes, nobodies, or both.  At the end of the day, survivors.  So he felt that they'd be OK.  Secondly, better odds with the women.  It was two lads who had left.  Third, and most importantly to Hart, a better chance at a single cabin. 

Hart hauled his kit bag and newly acquired cold weather gear to his 'cabin', the narrow, twisting corridors of the ship slowing him down, the sword making it worse.  Normally, he walked with one hand on its hilt, but with both occupied, not much hope for that.  He'd been told he'd be bunking with one of the others, dashing his hopes a little, but not terribly much.  On a Union, it was expected.  The occupant was not.  He’d only been told that it was a fellow light ‘Mech milot, but Hart let out a low whistle when he saw who shared the other bed. 

The lady who was unpacking her belongings on the right-hand bunk had black hair that fell to her shoulders, framing delicate features and hazel eyes that hinted at a mixed heritage. She looked up as he paused at the entrance to the room.

"You the Wolfhound 'jock?"

She nodded and got to her feet, offering a handshake by way of greeting.

“Yep, name’s Saori. The WLF in Bay One is mine. Who do I have the pleasure of bunking with?”

He felt a little stunned at getting lucky with regards to the woman he was going to be bunking with.  Eurasian descent, which wasn't uncommon in the Draconis March.  He knew other Marchers who hated everything of Asian extraction, but he couldn't say the same.  He liked the food, the women.  And she was certainly interesting looking.  "John Hart, Chisholm's Raiders.  I run the Firestarter.  Looks like we're going to be sharing this cabin..."

He squeezed in, taking up a great deal of the standing room, let his kit fall to the floor for a second.  His kit bag got tossed onto his rack, then the snow gear.  "Don't know about you, but I'm bloody happy to be getting off Fallon bloody II.  No offence, if it’s your home world.  I'm from Conroe.”

His new roommate continued to unpack her bag as she spoke, hanging up what looked to be a rather fetching Asian-styled blue dress in her cupboard. “Nope, I’m not from about here either. In fact, my home’s in Kuritan space. Rasalhague, to be exact. And you’re right about this rock, it’s the place where boredom itself comes to get bored.”

“Exactly... Fallon has nothing going on.  Even the raids have mostly stopped, thanks to the Hussars.”

“Thank goodness for that,” Saori replied. “It’s not like my previous contract here was paying me a combat bonus for getting involved in any of that mess. Not sure about our latest mission though. Hopefully we’ll get to do more than dig up some old fossils from a cave.”

“Well, it’d be nice to at least have the prospect of seeing some action again.  You mind if I have a smoke?"

She looked up at him and frowned. “Do you mind doing that outside the room? I’ve got a mild allergy to cigarette smoke and would prefer not to keep you up at night with my non-stop sneezing. Don’t ask me about that last bit.”

"Oh, sure.  Not a problem."  No point in being a complete bastard on the first day, Hart thought.  Plenty of time for us to hate each other's gets soon enough. 

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 21 January 2013, 00:37:48 »
"Captain Steele, I apologize for the pallet of beer I brought along, I turned it over to PO Lord to lock away until either you or Mutt release it. I didn't even think
about the dry ship rule, too  much time in Lyran transports. If nothing else the beer may be useful for a bribe, feel free to trade it away, I got it at half price after a poker game"

After that Franz went across the deck to where the Beast was kneeling and locked down, noticed a small puddle of coolant, whipped out his noteputer and made a note of it. Gonna have along trip, plenty of time to get it fixed. He climbed up to the cockpit and grabbed his two duffel bags, opened one and withdrew a backpack from it and a few other things from it and stuck them in the pack. He re-stowed the half empty duffel in the jump seat, grabbed his Long Rifle and climbed out after sealing the cockpit.

"PO Lord, what are the current bunking arrangements?"
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 21 January 2013, 01:47:11 »

Port Matilda
Fallon II
Federated Commonwealth

07-01-3033 - 14:00Z

Karen got out of the taxi and tipped the driver, Grabbed her duffel, then walked over to the dropship, delivery and loading area, She made sure her container was there, and then started looking for the cargo master; Petty Officer Lord, My name is Karen Foxfire, I don't intend to try to second guess your loading or weight distribution calculations, I have one container which should mass about 1750kg although it is in a std 2 ton container, but it contains all my tool kits, and those add up to about 1400kg, that likely will end up in one of the bays for servicing 'mechs or fighters, if that helps with your load planning.  Additionally are there any "inspections" that will be needed? I can discuss that with the correct officer if needed.

Karen then went back over to her container to double check that the seals and locks were still intact and hadn't been tampered with, and that nothing had been added to the outside of the container.  After verifying that everything appeared correct she headed to the dropship to see what quarters might be available, and claim a spot.  Hoping she  can at least get a bunk and won't have to "camp" on the deck or a fighters wing or something. 

As Karen headed up ship, to see what quarters were still available she thought she would look at the fighter tech berths to see if they were still open, (and claim 1 if they were) otherwise she would look at either a double or quad room first.

as she went into the quarters usually designated for aerospace techs and noticed that neither bunk seemed to be claimed yet, Karen set her duffel on floor and checked out the bunks, seeing that neither was noticeably better than the other she put her duffel on the left hand bunk to claim it.

After thinking a few moments Karen set her duffel into the lockable storage after pulling out a lock, and locked it away.  After descending the ship to the ground she went over to her crate and after another quick inspection began the unlocking and opening procedure making sure to block the inset combination keypad, and triggered the print lock, the combination, and the keycard, she then pulled out 3 cases the first was a small semi-rigid  case that contained her flight suit, the second was roughly the size of a thick briefcase, and the 3rd was her general tools case, after getting a quick inspection for contraband (there wasn't any) she spent a few moments re-securing the container.  Then headed back up to the berth she had taken, she inspected the flight suit, and after verifying all systems were working stored it in her "hanging clothing area" and unpacked the fatigues before lying down to rest for a few minutes.

After relaxing for about 20 minutes she changed into a set of "work" clothes making sure to double check everything.  dagger right boot, check, pistol charged and on safe, holstered, "technician" uniform check, tools secured, she headed over and looked into the fighter bays, ... hellcat fighter, and Corsair fighter .. ok she then headed down to the bays where the mechs were being stowed and "eyeballed" the mechs already loaded, and winced at the cargo load in bay 2, thinking that's going to make servicing those things a bit of a pain and getting them out is going to be worse, after making sure she wasn't needed to help with the loading, she headed groundside to stay out of the way of the crew moving the mechs into place and spent some time walking around the area... plenty of time to be cooped up in the dropship after we take off.

Latro

• Sergeant
  • I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work.
« Reply #65 on: 24 January 2013, 21:22:54 »
Port Matilda
Fallon II
Federated Commonwealth
8 January 3033 - Twentythree-Thirty-ish

Tap... tap... tap...

“All right... any time now...”

Tap... tap... tap-tap...

‘Siiiigh...’

Tap... tap... tap... Tapitty-tap

“Today please...”

Lying flat on his back in his bunk, the mattress of which conveniently doubling as an acceleration couch, Gunner tapped his fingers along the taut straps of the safety harness that would keep him from flying about the cabin like a ping-pong ball in a coffee can during lift off. And for the gazzilionth time he checked the adjustments on his harness.

Two or more gee transit - he was fine with that.  Zero to low gee flight - totally cool.

Hyperspace events were easy-peasy - just take two deep breaths and make sure you closed your eyes.

But lift offs and landings, when the ride was wibbly-wobbly and bumpy-wumpy...?

Not so much...

When your stomach felt as if was still on the ground and doing its best to catch up...?

Not one bit.

And almost worse than the ride was the wait for lift off. To Gunner the anticipation was awful.

He took a deep breath and recited to himself...

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."

Tap... tap... tap...

Right.

”Dammit. I picked a lousy time to quit smokin...’”
« Last Edit: 24 January 2013, 21:25:02 by Latro »
time is meaningless, and yet it is all that exists...

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #66 on: 25 January 2013, 11:27:34 »
Port Matilda
Fallon II
Federated Commonwealth

07 Jan 3033 - 22:00Z

(Smokers always find the spots with the best views) Kiva thought to herself as she looked out over Fallon II, upwind of the smokers - she didn't smoke.

It might’ve only been a secondary cargo bay door but it was still twenty meters in the air, which meant that it gave a nice view of Fallon II from a raised height.

Kiva quietly chuckled at the irony that one of the best places to find a little peace and quiet before a dropship’s launch was on the dropship itself the night before she launched.

The temperate breeze blowing out over the deck had the smell of a working spaceport in it and gently nudged her daydreaming in the direction of another memory.

-------

Kandis – The Fourth Succession War

It was dark, a lance of the 26th Lyran Guards had still not reported in from their sortie, Kiva was part of the maintenance party assigned to them and since they’d reported that they were on their way back to the depot with ‘significant battle damage’ their maintenance party could not go to bed until they’d arrived and the damage had been analysed and patched up.

“How long have we been awake Jo?” asked a junior tech from across the card table.

“36 hours. Look at your damn watch and bet; stop stalling.” He replied

“He can’t. An LRM reloading mechanism ate it when the mechjock misheard him and started the reloading cycle early.” Kiva interjected while throwing in three chips to match the tech’s bet.

“Serves ‘im right for not following procedure” said Jo.

“We we’re being ambushed at the time you know. It’s not my fault the bastard couldn’t hear me over the autocannons!”

“Shout louder next time then!” Exclaimed Jo with both joviality and triumph as he slapped his hand on the table “I think this pot is mine. Three Kings! Your beer rations are mine!”

“I beg to differ, sir” Kiva said with just enough delay on the honourific to stop Jo reaching for the chips. “Counting the two on the table I believe I’ve four queens. It’s about time I won some of my rations back.”

The junior tech quietly folded as Jo sat down with a ‘herumph’ “Where are those bastards?!”

------------

The ‘bastards’ eventually turned up with one of the lance’s mechs being supported by the other two like a drunkard who couldn’t walk straight, which had slowed them down. The repair detail eventually spent another six hours reseating the gyro to stop it ‘wobbling’ in its cradle, but only after the pilot had walked the mech up and down the hanger a few times while singing drinking songs to hysterical laughter.

(That was a loooong day. We called them the ‘drunken bastards’ after that) Kiva thought as she started giggling so hard she had to lean against the cargo door.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2013, 03:48:16 by SethsMatches »
"Man shouldn't have to live by carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." - Spike Spiegal

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 26 January 2013, 15:21:35 »
0100, 08/01/3033

Hold 2,
Franz was in the Beasts cockpit thinking to himself,
in the storage bin under his seat he was repacking his cold weather kit.
Isulated suit, parka, backpack water bladder, snow camo suit, backpack, MREs, first aid kit, 5 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of gloves, 5 sets of underwear and clothes, and waterproof white rubber boots to go on over his regular stuff
2 autopistols, 4 clips, 6 clips for his zeus rifle, 6 kbar knives in various places, noteputer and recharger, ok checklist done, now to check the set in my room...

back in his quarters, apparently bunking solo for now
he double checked his travel kit, which held a smaller cold weather kit, plus stuff for his travel time, his primary noteputer, 2 chargers, a stack of chips with survival manuals, reference works for mech manfacturers so he knew what was made where, along with trade journals to keep track of, his latest news downloads, some fiction, history books, and his microprojector so he could show a map or data on the wall

he did have a small duffle with his travel rations, specifically his favorite mechaid drink mix, and a couple boxes of cookies and emu jerky

now to get set up he thought, clean wall to project on, and then I will talk to Mutt and the captain.....
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #68 on: 27 January 2013, 13:16:31 »
Apologies for the delays, I'm back up and running now (I think)

The Final preparations for launch were nearly completed and the announcement had gone round the Dropship that they would be under acceleration soon. On the Bridge of the Stainless Chrome, Captain Steele,  Kevin Hicks, Martyn Lord and Baldur Haddurson were ensuring that the dropship was ready to launch.

"Ok gentlemen, let's make sure we do this by the book. Let's try not to destroy our chance at riches before we've even started. So..." She paused for a second and looked down at the computer generated list on the display in front of her. "Bay doors closed and sealed?"

"Locked and green."

"Spaceport umbilicles?"

"Separated and clear."

"Exhaust clearance zone?"

"We're clear to three hundred yards in all directions. Incursion warning set."

"Airspace?"

"Clearance received, Traffic present but clear of out corridor. incursion warning set."

"Ok, Department checks." Each department would have completed it's own exhaustive list of checks boiling down to a simple "Go / No go" report to the bridge.

"Engineering?"

"Report go flight."

"Cargo?"

"Report go flight."

"Passengers?"

"Warning went out. IF they're not buckled in, that's their fault."

Steele chuckled slightly at Haddurson's comment and looked at the next item.

"Navigation?"

"Course plotted, weather conditions are within tollerence. INS is set and it navigate. Backup system currently reading zero drift. We're go for flight."

"Helm?"

"Control checks complete, go flight."

"Ok, We're go for flight. Engineering, begin priming the engines for lift. Nav, transfer the programme to helm."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the wood lined box that Mutt called home the rumble of the Dropship's drives built to a crescendo and the shaking increased to a point where his vision blurred. The acceleration built slowly, pushing him down into the foam mattress of his bunk as the Dropship began to lift skywards.

They were on their way.
The artist formerly known as Big_Ken

"Ha. I was a charming man... Now I am an erudite and dangerous box!"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #69 on: 28 January 2013, 11:15:49 »
[ooc]I'll try and get an actual in transit post up later but for now the launch will suffice.[/ooc]

Now this was the kind of gravity one was meant to experience.  Kathy thought to herself.

The vibration and shaking of a launch just seemed to resonate with her, especially with older Dropships where it was far more noticeable.

The throttle back would be far too soon but it would still feel right.

She settled deeper into her seat feeling the strain of the extra gravity needed to reach orbit.  It reminded her of her first time experiencing high acceleration.  That combination of thrill and terror had stuck with her.

She felt the ship break into orbit.  She couldn't help but let out a quiet squeal of delight as the sensation was unmistakable as she felt herself slightly jump in her seat from the throttle down.  Most pilots were good enough to make it a smooth transition but Kathy had done this enough times that only truly exceptional pilots could sneak a throttle down past her.

With the return to normal gravity the signal allowing passengers to move about again being given Kathy moved from her seat over to her bed.  It had been a long day and she never could sleep through a launch.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 29 January 2013, 01:49:01 »
Port Matilda
Fallon II
Federated Commonwealth

08-01-3033 ~ 19:30Z

As Karen walked out of bay 2 of the dropship she started mentally going over a checklist of things to be done and equipment status, ... crate stowed well it was definately on the ship, but wether it was stowed with the general cargo, or in one of the tools or parts bays she wasn't quite sure.  She would find it soon enough, vac suit well her flight suit would work all the seals were good the consumables were topped off, and everything had checked out.  and if worse came to worse she could always use it as hostile environmental gear until she could dig the real cold weather gear out.

Of course with what the dropship captain had said at the meeting it might be interesting to see if the fighters were going to get any servicing en route.  Oh well not her problem unless she was asked /ordered to help service the fighters.

lets see, so tools check, long term gear check, clothing to wear shipboard check, music to listen to... yep she had over 100 hours of music she liked on chip, and saved in her computer and sound system, her account with the comstar coordinated bank was updated and current, everything else she could think of as far as "need to do's" was good.

After thinking a minute she decided to grab her noteputer and check 1 more time to see if there were any new ebooks or similar posted on the planetary network.  After spending about an hour finishing up gathering things for some of the practically guaranteed "down time" karen headed back to the dropship checked in, and headed to her quarters/bunk to secure things.  she had never managed to sleep through a lift off, but resting up until time never hurt.
~~

About 30 minutes before liftoff anticipation got the better of her and she went over to her locker and pulled out her flight suit and began donning it.  putting on the suit, and boots she left the helmet where she could grab it at a moments notice if needed and settled back into her bunk and tucked the gloves away where they would be convenient.  Not that she was anticipating trouble, but for some reason she just felt better once the suit was on.
As the time for liftoff aproached She started counting down all of a sudden there was "something more sensed than heard" as the dropship seemed to wake up? no that wasn't it.. but a few seconds later there was a sudden rumbling growl transmitted through the structure of the ship, that kept changing in tone and then steadied, then it happened there was a subtle shift and weight started growing, with the ship shaking and anything that wasn't secured started rattling.  The weight grew quickly pushing her slightly down into the mattress and they were away.

As the ship accelerated through the atmosphere the sound of the ship gradually changed, and then the gravity tapered off gradually dropping and settling at what felt more like 1G.  She listened carefully trying to tell if there was any odd sounds she could perceve other than the circulation of the air pumps, she wondered if this crew was going to stop and do a full "leak test" some did others didn't Captains that suspected their hulls weren't as fully sealed and sound as they could be usually did especially before long cruises which this could definately qualify for.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2013, 02:29:50 by guardiandashi »

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: 29 January 2013, 22:04:40 »
As the countdown to liftoff slowly ran down, David eased back into his bunk/grav-couch, the thick gel pad that served both as mattress and acceleration cushion forming to his body.

Grimacing, he carefully reached down and plugged a thin power lead into a concealed port on the outside of his left arm's bicep.  Most of the time he could ignore it and pretend that he still had all his original limbs, and that he didn't have an expensive prosthetic replacing his arm.  Most times....

It was times like this, when he was forced to recharge the batteries, or service the small servo-motors, that it was driven home to him.

Or when fatigue got the better of him and the dull ache in his shoulder that never went away made it hard to sleep.

And he didn't care what the docs said, "phantom limb syndrome", or "referred nerve stimulus" be damned, his wrist still itched!

Looking away, he took a deep breath.  If it got too bad he always had the sleeping pills.  But he hated to resort to them.  They always left him feeling fuzzy-headed for a few days after, and he didn't want to ever become dependent...not that he couldn't use a drink or three to quiet his nerves and dull the ache. 

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 30 January 2013, 20:27:19 »
Meat grumbled a little to himself.  It had taken Donna longer than expected to fix the arm of his mech, so he missed out on getting one of the few remaining gantries leaving him to just lay the rifleman down in an empty corner of the lower cargo bay.  The loadmaster insisted Meat help with chaining the beast down.  He wasn't used to seeing it laying down like this; even the salvage yard had a couple of basic repair gantries that doubled as single mech hangars, though their construction wasn't any better than the average shed.  He hoped it wouldn't be too difficult to get the rifleman back on its feet when they got to wherever it was they were going; the arms weren't much more than the guns they contained, so they weren't much help in that regard.

The reason for Meat's annoyance this time, though, was his trouble finding a cabin.  His first step onto the ship had been his mech's, and after wasting time getting that chained to the floor, he went to retrieve his personal effects and his 4x4, which the loadmaster insisted on also chaining to the floor saying something about 'weight calculations' and 'center of gravity concerns'.  Not having his own vehicle anymore would certainly waste more of his time.  After wandering half lost thought the twisting corridors of the passenger deck and seeing every single cabin he poked his head into was already occupied, he finally found an open bed in one of the cabins in the area all the techs were holed up in.  one of the beds was arranged to mark that it was taken, and the locker on the left was locked, but the important part was the bed and locker on the right were unclaimed.  Meat stuffed his duffel into his locker then went back to the cargo deck to grab the duffel from his truck and double check that the survival kit and toolkit in the cockpit of his mech were properly stocked and secure.

===
Meat had finished unpacking, and was back in his rifleman checking that everything in his cockpit was secure for launch while the DI ran a full diagnostic to make sure everything in the mech was secured for launch, when a call to assemble in the mech bay for a safety briefing.  Meat grudgingly complied.
===
Meat returned just before launch after having a few last drinks before the flight with a hooded coat and gloves in hand along with a few other articles of cold weather clothing. He found that the other bunk in the cabin was occupied by a woman, but she seemed to by trying to take a nap, so he just ignored her and stowed his gear.  He laid down and tried to take a nap himself.

Meat was startled awake by the launch warning.  After making sure he was strapped in, he looked over and noticed the woman was wearing a flight suit, and the helmet was right next to her.  He began to get a little panicky at this point; he didn't have a space suit nearby if it were needed.  Meat tried not to think about it, shutting his eyes tightly; soon the ship began to rumble and he felt heavy.  He didn't dare open his eyes till the rumbling mostly subsided and he didn't feel as heavy anymore.  He noticed at this point, that he was breathing somewhat heavily, and was covered in a cold sweat, but at least he had survived his first takeoff assuming it was actually over.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 31 January 2013, 04:15:59 »
Launch of Stainless Chrome

Jingo and Tommi were strapped into the quasi-acceleration couches in their shared cabin, breathing slowly and their bodies trembling. Neither had left the safe confines of Fallon II's atmosphere before this night and the both of them were scared shitless of this little fact.

Jingo reached out with left hand to grasp Tommi's right hand. "Well here we go" he said. "She replied,"First time for everything."

Rumor had it that their screaming could be heard over the roar of the Chrome's engines and that it lasted for nearly half an hour. Of course, the rumor was wrong, it lasted for forty-five minutes and that was only because they passed out.
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 01 February 2013, 00:18:48 »
Franz settled onto the cot as liftoff started,
he satback with his noteputer and started reading the latest news that had come in,
'riding in a dropship is nothing new for me' he thought,'mom used to take me along
on some on planet cargo runs as a kid, and this isnt anywhere near as rough as ejecting'
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

codesurge

• Recruit
  • This space for rent.
« Reply #75 on: 01 February 2013, 23:56:07 »
Note: I haven't kidnapped Ian Sharpe's character! This is a collaborated post :)

Bunk Room 3
Port Matilda
Fallon II
Federated Commonwealth
08-01-3033 - 2355

"So then.  Who's on top?"  Hart posed it as a double entendre, but meant the bunks.  "Less you wanna share?  For the burn out, I mean." 

Saori chuckled as they walked back into the stateroom. “Thanks for the offer, but I’ll be fine on my own bed.”

His roommate threw a couple of loose belongings into the cupboard and drawers underneath her bed before tying her long black hair into a neat bun behind her head. “Besides, I think you’d best prepare for takeoff, unless you think that getting flattened against the deck is the latest form of entertainment.”

He didn't really like leaving or entering atmosphere.  Truth be told, he'd prefer to stay ground bound all his life, save for his jump jets, but that was no way to get anywhere. 

"You don't get TDS, d'you?  I seen it up close.  Not pretty.  Back in the First Conroe, had a lancemate named Mackenize who had it bad.  But for the grace of God go I, right?"  He was covering his nerves with small talk.  Not helped by the fact that he desperately wanted a smoke and even better, a drink right now.  Something to calm him down.  Settle his nerves.  And him on a dry 'ship.

“Nope,” muttered Saori as she finished securing her hair and lying down on her bunk, strapping the takeoff belt around her waist and tightening it as the roar of the engines reverberated through the hull of the ship. “Traveled enough to have seen my share of it too, but I’m alright with launches. Sucks to be immobile till we reach high orbit though, but that’s physics for you.”

"So I been meaning to ask you...what side were you on?  In the Fourth?" he asked.

Saori definitely seemed younger than him, and then there was the question of where she had gotten a WLF-1.  Hart was intensely interested in checking out that mech, even more so than he was in its pilot.  But pasts could be trick things, filled with all sorts of pitfalls and memories.  Probably even more so for a merc.  He scoffed at the idea, but hadn't he, himself, been a mercenary this past year?  Technically, anyway.  Noble's private army had to count as something different.  But Hart wanted to know about the jock he was sharing a berth with.  So damn the proprieties.  Could he trust her?  What if she was a Snake? 

He realized Saori was talking, snapped out of his train of thought. 

“… just out of the Academy, so didn’t see much in the way of action. Don’t suppose you saw any frontline combat, did you?” she asked as the sound of the Stainless Chrome’s engines grew to a deafening roar.

“Well, I’m sure you’ll have many more interesting stories to tell. But for now, hang on tight as I think we’re just abo..”

Saori was cut off as the engines reached a monstrous crescendo, then an almighty shove came from beneath them as the Stainless Chrome lifted off into the Fallon night.
"To find out more about the military lifestyle, the producers sent us off to join a mercenary unit. I mean, how hard can it be?" - Unknown

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 03 February 2013, 15:50:08 »
Franz was jolted awake by the launch siren, he sat up from the table,
looked down "hmm glad the noteputer is waterproof, or slobberproof at least"

as he stood up, the engines rumbled, and as liftoff happened, he stumbled to his cot
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 06 February 2013, 00:19:28 »
Shortly after orbital/atmosphere escape

Karen looked over at the now occupied bunk and noticed the man in it seemed a little paniced or stressed.  so she decided to try to help him a bit. 

Hello My name is Karen foxfire, is this your first launch?

He indicated it was, so she apologized of her putting on her flight suit bothered him, as the crew and passenger quarters were pretty safe from depressurization what with the 3 pressure rated bulkheads that you had to pass through to get into the quarters areas, (unless there was some kind of catastrophic event in which a flight suit probabally wouldn't help.  ) I was mostly wearing it for the G suit properties, and if extra hands are to be needed in say the fighter bays, or other potentual vacuum exposed areas.

She then volunteered that she was one of the techs, and was wondering if he was a mechwarrior, tech, infantry, or pilot (aerojock)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #78 on: 06 February 2013, 02:46:30 »
T Minus 4 days to Jumpship

Kathy strummed her guitar as quietly as she could so as not to disturb anyone.  So far the casual bumps into the others hadn't really told her much but she suspected she would be able to get along with everyone well enough.

The Union had a reputation for being cramped but once micro gravity would set in she knew plenty of places to hide out in if she needed some time away from the others and stretch out.

She had already given her fighter a once over just in case it would be needed before they jumped.  She knew it wasn't likely but it was better to be safe than sorry.  She didn't need to beg for any tools just yet but because she couldn't afford to bring her own set she knew if something more complex needed done what she brought in her duffel bag would not be enough.

The biggest threat until the DC border would actually be boredom.  Kathy doubted that she'd be able to negotiate much in the way of side deals to help protect the jumpships they'd be traveling on as they wouldn't be with very many past the initial jump.  Neither did she know how the people in charge intended to get across the border unmolested.

Kathy cleared her mind of such thoughts.  It was still quite some time off and no sense worrying about it now.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 10 February 2013, 22:54:45 »
DropShip Stainless Chrome

Hart had quickly settled into his usual shipboard routine: lots of sleeping, hitting the gym facilities(such as they were) and generally trying to pick up what he could from the techs.  Unlike some mechjocks, he had great respect for the techs who kept his mech running.  And in the Conroe Training Battalion, the 'jocks had all worked very closely with the techs.  Coupled with his fear of his family re-entering the ranks of the Dispossessed, that meant he was more than willing to listen and learn.  He was working on Charlie's knee actuator, rebundling the myomers, trying to get them a bit tighter.  Her left knee had always been a bit gimpy, and he couldn't be sure if it had been damage he had inflicted or something from before. 

He smoked a cigarette while he worked, a thin stream of smoke slowly drifting upwards.  He didn't think it hurt the Chrome's air any, the re-circ systems on Unions were usually no good anyway.  "Like this?  Twist it here?"  He asked the tech, who was supervising.  They said they had a trick to it, one he was eager to try out.  He looked back over his shoulder, wanting to make certain he was doing it correctly. 

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #80 on: 20 February 2013, 10:12:43 »
OOC: Here goes  :)

--------------------

At the end of an exceptionally boring day

Kiva was sitting in the general mess idly toying with her pack of cards.

She looked around the table at her companions and said: “During my military service time we’d play for our drink rations. Since this ship is clean of such sinful things” She said with an overly innocent tone. “we’re going to play for something else. Money.”

“All buy-ins are maxed at 5 House bills and only three buy-ins, including the first, are allowed. No need to pauper ourselves and cause enmity while our cabin fever grows.”

“To keep things entertaining and simple I propose ‘Archon’s Poker’. One card placed on the forehead without looking followed by three rounds of betting. The two players left of the dealer are small and big blind respectively. Friendly trash talk and posturing is encouraged. I'll deal the first round. Cheaters lose more than their money.”

“Who’s interested?”

A small chorus of confirmations started up as various house and C-Bills were revealed.

Kiva began passing out chips from a set that appeared next to her then began dealing cards.

“Right, on three flip the card… 1… 2… 3!” She couldn’t help but grin at an entire table of people, including her, slapping themselves on the forehead.

Kiva scanned foreheads and faces...

“I’ll be nice to you all this first time around… I match the big blinds bet.” She said as she placed two chips on the table.

“Whose poker chips are these anyway?”

--------------------

OOC: Who’s next  }:)
"Man shouldn't have to live by carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." - Spike Spiegal

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 05 March 2013, 03:40:06 »
Shortly after orbital/atmosphere escape

Karen looked over at the now occupied bunk and noticed the man in it seemed a little paniced or stressed.  so she decided to try to help him a bit. 

Hello My name is Karen foxfire, is this your first launch?

He indicated it was, so she apologized of her putting on her flight suit bothered him, as the crew and passenger quarters were pretty safe from depressurization what with the 3 pressure rated bulkheads that you had to pass through to get into the quarters areas, (unless there was some kind of catastrophic event in which a flight suit probabally wouldn't help.  ) I was mostly wearing it for the G suit properties, and if extra hands are to be needed in say the fighter bays, or other potentual vacuum exposed areas.

She then volunteered that she was one of the techs, and was wondering if he was a mechwarrior, tech, infantry, or pilot (aerojock)
"Yeah this was, uh, my first flight.  I've only ever been in a helicopter before.  It's nice to meet you; the name's Gunther Black, but I go by Meat over the radio.  I drive that excuse for a rifleman that's cluttering up the bay."  Gunther told this new acquaintance, "It's not much to look at, but it's mine."  Meat went back to reading, leaving Karen to her own devices.  After a few minutes he left the cabin to have a better look around the dropship.

At the end of an exceptionally boring day

Meat felt like a jackass slapping himself in the forehead with a playing card.
He said to the table, "If I were the archon I'd be embarrassed to have something like this named after me."

He scanned the foreheads around him.  "I'm feeling lucky today, I'll raise ya"  Meat said, throwing a couple of chips in the pot.

"And whoever wins this one should pick the next game"

Meat shuffled his chips while he waited for the next bet.

c_gee

• Number of the Be(a)st!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #82 on: 26 June 2013, 08:14:06 »
Dammit! What happened next?
Demo Agent #666
Vancouver, Canada

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 26 June 2013, 21:28:15 »
not sure, we were justing getting started and bang everyone topped posting
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 26 June 2013, 21:35:37 »
like dave said just kinda stopped

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 27 June 2013, 06:54:39 »
Malich, who started this thing, has been around since the 16th of February

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #86 on: 27 June 2013, 08:39:52 »
yep the GM (Malich) seemingly quit.

but I managed to create a character, and I'll be publishing a story about him soon.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)