Author Topic: The Kapteyn Universe - The Other Option (Books 1, 2 & 3)  (Read 77013 times)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
Author’s Note: This is an alternate timeline story set in 3022, which rewrites the lead up too, and outbreak of the 4th Succession War.  It is based firstly on the side bar on page 57 of the original House Marik Sourcebook, but quickly diverges into an alternate reaction by ComStar and the Kapteyn powers.  I had an epiphany that started with the question “What if…”.  What if Marik, Kurita, and Liao had struck first, before Davion and Steiner were ready, all manipulated by ComStar. The 4th War is now a very different beast, and what comes after has completely changed the balance of power in the Inner Sphere.

The results of the invasions were gamed out and the story of the alternate war slowly written as we progressed the results of the war, using a highly detailed version of Succession Wars/Inner Sphere in Flames.

Special Thanks: An enormous number of people have contributed to the Kapteyn Universe (KU), and I hope I have not forgotten any of them below:

Matthew “Blacknova” Alexander, Joshua “Knightmare” Perian, Jason “Panzerfaust150” Wiser, Michael “drakensis” Brown, Eugene “Centurion03” Klopper, Dan “Coriendal” Waugh, Glenn “Rainbow 6” Miller, Andrea “Magestric_Artbitch” Hamann, Xavier “Ice Hellion” Lugherini, Bruce “Kwic” Jensen, Jeremy “shwagpo”, “Manne”, “Epoch Rooster”, “Recon-5”,
Chris “Alex Knight” Marti, “Dragon Cat”, “Potenza”, “Dread Moores”, “Hessian”, Jason “VhenRa” Fraser, “Shadow Wraith”, Nathan “Valles” Baxter, Robert “Chaosextreme”
Johnson, John “Col. Chiang” Almond, Christopher Damour, Tony Crum, David “Slencgb”, “Red Pins”, Michael “DragonCat” Middleton, Matthew Stohner and anyone else we may have missed!

Book 1

Plans Within Plans

Chapter 1

Elmau, Bavaria, Terra.
15 September, 3022.

The oldest Successor Lord in the Inner Sphere seemed bowed over by the weight of his bitter experience, bowed by Civil War, the betrayal of siblings, and the loss of children.  Although still strong, his ever growing burdens were readily apparent to the other man in the room, a man whose bolt straight stature and strong physique bespoke of a man in his prime, who believed in not only in his current self, but his personal vision of his own destiny. 

Takashi Kurita extended his hand to grasp that of the other, the tired one, and for a moment, two of the most powerful men in existence stood toe to toe. The old man in a rose pleated, long sleeve jacket, and buff striped white stirrup pants, marking him out as a member of the Free Worlds Guards, whilst the stronger of the two wore a garb consisting of a high collared white tunic with orange stripes down its arms and centre, set against red striped black pants and high leather boots. 

“Captain-General Marik, it is a good to meet you at last.  We have much of importance to discuss.”

The older man, Capitan-General Janos Marik, thought for a moment before breaking their grip and replying.  “Yes Coordinator, we have much to discuss and many problems to resolve, although I am sure our meetings will be productive and beneficial.”

Takashi turned his head, showing the grey that was slowly encroaching upon his jet-black temples and looked out across the vista that the spartan and little furnished room provided.  “I trust your journey here was as pleasant as the vistas our destination provides.”

“Yes Lord Kurita, a most pleasant journey.  It has been many years since I last visited my ancestral homeland.  I must thank you for choosing this region for our meeting; I have many pleasant memories of it from my youth.  Will you be visiting your own people’s land whilst here?”

Takashi paused before answering.  “Should I visit the Land of the Rising Sun, I would be compelled by honour and duty to pay my respects to the Emperor, something that I am sure would become public knowledge in no small amount of time.  I do not wish either the Steiners or Davions to learn of our meeting so easily.”

Abruptly, Kurita turned, and, fixing the Marik with an expression that was half wry humour and half sadistic amusement, said, "It is probably time that we welcomed our third partner."  Before Janos Marik could reply, the pair of oak doors at the rear of the room swung wide, and Maximilian Liao walked into the room, his perfectly tailored uniform ablaze with military ribbons and decorations, some of them clearly won in the long wars between the Capellans and the Free Worlds League.

Marik glared at Kurita, then at Liao, then back at Kurita.  "What is he doing here?" he finally asked.

"He is here to negotiate peace, of course," Kurita replied, extending a hand to the small Capellan.  "He is here because he is an enemy of our enemy, Hanse Davion." He dropped Liao's hand and turned to face Marik once more.  "He is also a loaded gun, friend Janos.  It is better to take such weapons in hand and point them away from ones self, then to leave them for an enemy to pick up.  I'm sure you agree?" Liao flinched at the metaphor, but smiled, showing a row of perfect teeth.

"You would make this a necessary condition of our own alliance?" Marik asked.

"I would."

"And if I do not choose to negotiate with one such as him?"

“Then your realm will bear the brunt of the coming war and there will be little I can do to save you or your people” said a new voice behind Janos.

The Marik spun around to see the red robes of a ComStar Precentor and one he recognised as Myndo Waterly, Precentor Dieron, her gold hair framing her face like an iridescent halo, an effect he was sure she had taken much time to create.

“Save my realm? How do you propose to undertake such an action and more importantly still, what makes you think my realm will bear the brunt of any attack Precentor?”

“Should our noble friends here today, negotiate an alliance between each other, our mutual enemy, Hanse Davion will be hemmed in and his courses of action limited.  He would then be forced to compel the Lyrans to consummate their new alliance with a strike into, and through, your Terran holdings in an effort to unite the Lyran Commonwealth and Federated Suns.  I am also most sure, that given such a tempting situation and with no treaty as a break on his actions, Chancellor Liao would have little compunction in finishing you off.”

The Precentor smiled benignly at the Captain-General and the predatory smile on the face of Maximillian Liao only emphasised her point.  That little Liao bastard would do anything to reclaim what we have taken from his realm over the centuries.  Precentor Dieron is correct and damm her for being so.

Janos smiled and bowed his head in Myndo’s direction.  “As always, ComStar sees to the heart of the matter at hand with clarity that is ever omniscient.  Please excuse my rudeness, I did not expect so many to be part of our discussion.”

Myndo bowed in return “Please Captain-General, you have committed no wrong, my vehemence is fuelled only by the great threat that confronts us all.  Should Hanse Davion and Katrina Steiner pull their alliance together, we are all in grave danger, hence why the Primus has directed me to see that these negotiations are as fruitful as possible.”

The Precentor extended a hand to take in the stuffed couches that surrounded the low table in the room’s centre “Please gentlemen, make yourselves comfortable, we have much to discuss and only so much time to do so.”

The four sat themselves at the cardinal points of the table, none wishing to be too close to a neighbour.  Marik and Liao sat facing each other, something to be expected given the circumstances.

Myndo began speaking once all four were settled, slowly moving her gaze from one Successor Lord to the next.  “I wish to take some time to explain the course of action which must be followed by all here to ensure our survival in the coming years.  Should we falter on this path, our ends at the hands of the nascent Federated Commonwealth will be swift indeed.”

Takashi Kurita responded as the other two Lords nodded “Please Precentor, take all the time necessary.”

“Thankyou Lord Kurita.  As you are all aware, Hanse Davion and Katrina Steiner have concluded an alliance between the Federated Suns and the Lyran Commonwealth, which has been dubbed the Federated Commonwealth Alliance.  Each of you will already have seen some results of this alliance through the trade and intelligence exchanges which have strengthened both realms?” All three nodded in agreement.

“What you may not be aware of are certain secret clauses within the
F-C Alliance document, clauses that could spell the end of the balance of power in the Inner Sphere.”  The three men, despite themselves, all leaned forward, even the stoic Kurita.

“When the Alliance was signed in May, it provided for more than just trade and intelligence.  Secret clauses provide for the merger of the two realms into a single super-state that will be cemented by the marriage of Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner upon her reaching her eighteenth birthday.”

“This would mean disaster!” Exclaimed Liao.  “We would be exterminated one by one.  Why has ComStar waited this long to tell the other powers of these provisions?  Have you taken sides against us?”

“ComStar still has not told you of this.  I have told you of this, and at great personal risk.  The Primus does not believe you yet need to know.”

Silence fell across the table.  “You mean to tell us that your organisation has allowed the greatest threat to the Inner Sphere’s future to come to fruition and then decided to take no action to counter it?” Kurita asked leaning across the table a skewering Myndo with a look that she was sure presaged the death of any other it could have been directed at.

Myndo paused, to steady herself.  “Yes, and at the same time no.”

“I sense there are deep factional politics at work in your organisation, are there not Precentor Dieron?” asked Janos.

“Yes Captain-General, there are.  There are many, like myself, who believe Primus Tiepolo has lost site of Blake’s blessed vision and is leading us down a path to disaster.  This faction has appointed me to be their head and ensure that your states are informed of events and provided with the means and methods to counter this coming storm.”

“That is all well and good Precentor, but how do you propose to live past this meeting? I am sure the Primus will view your actions and those of your allies dimly?” said The Marik.

“I will survive because he will not here of it.  ROM is loyal to Precentor ROM and Precentor ROM is loyal to me.”

“I see you ensured your path was secure before taking it, and if your intelligence apparatus is loyal to you through Precentor ROM, then you can report what you like of our meetings.  I feel some confidence in what we plan here now.” Said the Liao.

Takashi immediately retorted, “Do not be so quick to gloat Maximillian, short of a coup or the Primus stepping down for some reason, this will come to a head and when that happens, should Precentor Dieron’s faction come out the worse for it, we will be left out in the cold.”

“You are correct Lord Kurita, that what you speak of is a possibility.  However, measures are being taken, and can be enacted, which will assure that you will receive the full support of our order in your endeavours.”

Kurita frowned and looked into the distance, whilst his mind investigated a myriad possibilities, intently watched all the while by Marik and Liao. “I will accept your word for now.  However, should at any time I believe you have been compromised, I will ensure that the Combine will take no further part in your efforts.  So, what of your plan? What do you propose that will halt this Steiner-Davion demon?” asked Kurita.

Myndo smiled gracefully and looked up “In January of 3025, twenty-seven months from now, with assistance in the form of transport, intelligence, and mercenaries from ComStar, your three realms will launch a coordinated invasion of the Terran regions of the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth, ensuring that they have no chance of ever physically uniting their realms, and showing their alliance for the fiction it is.”
« Last Edit: 16 April 2020, 23:32:18 by Blacknova »
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: The Kapteyn Universe - Book 1: Plans within Plans
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2018, 06:40:53 »
Ahhhhhhh! So this is the KU :)  Where the Concord of Kaptyen actually sticks.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2018, 13:55:05 »
Hehe, players, can't trust them, can't be an evil GM without them.

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2018, 01:25:37 »
Chapter 2

Elmau, Bavaria, Terra.
16 September, 3022.

Janos Marik stared out over the pristine vista of the Bavarian Alps as he awaited the others to join him for the day’s meetings.  He enjoyed the time here by himself, soaking in Terra’s fundamental beauty.  There was something about humanity’s mother world that brought peace to him when he visited.  Others had spoken of the same phenomena, with doctors coming to the consensus that despite humans having settled other stars for nearly 1,000 years, their bodies, controlled by their genetic code and shaped by a billion years of evolution on Terra, knew when they were home.  The Peace of Terra was the name for the phenomenon.  It was a great irony indeed; that whilst feeling this inner peace, Janos and the other Successor Lords present were planning for war.

Precentor Dieron’s announcement the day before had effectively ended the meeting, as she requested each of them to think on the proposal of pre-emptive war.  Janos was against it, against it until his own son Thomas, still part of ComStar and his secretly designated heir, visited him and convinced him of the necessity for the war and certain measures that could be taken to ensure the Free Worlds League’s future safety, and the Marik families hold upon power in the League.  Thomas’s plan was not only bold, but would force the ever-bickering League Provinces to fully support the Captain-General in their own enfeeblement.  That still left Liao, that scheming monster who had turned Janos’s own brother Anton against him in 3015, tearing the League apart in yet another Civil War.  Unless Precentor Dieron could hobble the little wretch, Janos had resolved that the League would take no part in the war.

The oak doors opened behind Janos and he turned to see Maximillian and Takashi enter.  Greetings were exchanged, forcibly with Liao, formally with Kurita, and all three bowed as Precentor Waterly entered the room.  All four sat quickly and the Successor Lords looked to Myndo to start proceedings. 

“I trust you have all had time to digest what I presented yesterday and again I apologise for startling you with the boldness of my plan, but I must stress that dangerous times call for dangerous methods.”

Marik spoke “I am sure we all agree with you Precentor, but I must make one thing plainly clear.  If I am to launch a war of aggression I must ensure certain conditions are met.”

Myndo nodded, causing the hood of her robe to fall from her head “Please feel free to air your concerns.”

“Thankyou” Janos began “The Free Worlds League is, as you well know, technically ruled by a Parliament composed of Representatives of the multitude of Provinces of the League.  I must either neutralise Parliament in some fashion, or gain sufficient additional forces and supplies to make their support irrelevant.  My son Thomas has a plan, one I can enact quickly on my return, but I will still require additional sources of supply and quite possibly additional mercenary troops to either support a full-scale invasion of Steiner space, or protect League worlds whose garrisons are at the front.  Secondly, due to seven centuries of mutual distrust, I need more than a paper agreement with the Capellan Confederation to protect my back.  I do not trust the Chancellor and I am sure the Chancellor does not trust me.”

The half smile, half sneer on Maximillian’s face was enough to conform Janos’s theory.  “Perhaps you should crush your Parliament and behave like a true Successor Lord?” snapped Liao.

“And give you an excuse to take advantage of the chaos that would ensue my Lord? Not likely!” Marik shot back.

“Enough bickering” declared Kurita “I am sure the esteemed Precentor Dieron has thought ahead to such matters and can explain her thoughts to us?”

“Thankyou Lord Kurita, I can.  ComStar will ensure that, should all three realms launch a coordinated strike, supplies will be furnished in a timely fashion, which will allow for extended combat operations.” Eyebrows around the table rose at this.  “Additionally, ComStar will provide mercenary troops to garrison vacated worlds on the Capellan/League border to maintain the status quo.  Any altercation, started by either side on the border, will see both realms suffer the effects of a border long communication interdiction, effectively placing the region in limbo.  We will encourage the smaller more belligerent Periphery powers to step up their own raids and assaults and lastly, but most importantly, ComStar will provide the means for all three realms to raise additional line regiments to support any assault.”

“What do you mean by ComStar providing forces and supplies?  Where will these come from? We all know you have a small military arm, but nothing that can conceivably support what you plan.  What dark secrets do you hide here on Terra?” Growled Takashi.

Myndo centred herself.  Now for the great lie.  Although like any lie it is based on a truth.  “As you know, when General Kerensky took Terra, many Rim Worlds troops surrendered were they stood.  It was never made public exactly how many surrendered or what equipment was taken from them.  Kerensky had the Rim Worlds material placed in storage, a storage that was left behind in favour of more modern equipment when he departed on the Exodus.  Seventy-five years ago, this cache of equipment was discovered in Antarctica by ComStar science teams and it formed the basis for equipping our small force of ComGuards.  However, the size of the cache was, and is, beyond anything ComStar requires.  I propose to use this underutilised resource to equip your armies to a level that will enable you to conduct effective offensive operations.  The equipment is roughly analogous to what your troops possess now, Kerensky having stripped any high technology items from the cache, and the limited support facilities here on Terra, such as munitions factories and the like, that survived the Usurper’s war, will be used to supply your forces.”

“A bold plan Precentor” muttered Liao “and what will your Primus, not to mention the rest of your order say when you drop that bomb shell on them? You expect us to believe that you can arrange for the First Circuit to swallow this nonsense.”

“They will because you will enable me to.” Shot Myndo

“And how so, little Precentor?  By first invading the Terran system perhaps?  Or would you like us to assassinate the Primus for you? If you have brought us here to tell us fairy tales I will return to Sian tonight!” Shouted Liao.

Myndo’s voice dropped to a whisper.  “Do not mock me Chancellor.  The Primus and the First Circuit will join us one way or the other, I will see to that.  The information I asked you to provide me will ensure my plan for this war will be followed.  With Precentor Sian eliminated as a rival, it will be easy to discredit Precentors Tharkad and New Avalon.  My vision protects ComStar by following the basic tenants of Blake’s blessed vision; this is apparent to any in our order who follow his word.  When Precentor Sian falls, the Primus will have no choice but to back me, or he too will fall.”

“What is this information of which you speak Precentor?” Asked Janos.

“Precentor Sian has been using his access to the HPG network to dabble in insider trading on the Sian stock exchange so that he can enjoy the comforts to which he believes himself entitled.  I asked the Chancellor to use his control of the exchange to bring information regarding Precentor Sian’s activities to this meeting in exchange for ComStar’s help.  As Precentor Sian was appointed by Primus Tiepolo and has been a staunch backer of him recently, the Primus must distance himself or fall with his man.  I will inform the Primus in advance of my intentions and ensure that not only does he allow my nominee the rightful place of Precentor Sian, but that he provides a whole hearted backing of our plan.”

“You seem smugly confidant that the Primus will back your play.  He can merely wash his hands of Precentor Sian and choose to block your plan should he wish.”

“No Lord Kurita, he cannot, for he has been the recipient of several rare and precious gifts from Precentor Sian, all acquired through his elicit dealings.  The Primus’s hands are dirty and he will know it.  He will have only two options: back me; or go down with Precentor Sian.”

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2018, 18:13:43 »
Chapter 3
Hilton Head Island, North America, Terra.
20 September, 3022. 

“You have been playing games Myndo, have you not?” Myndo froze.  What does he know?  Primus Julian Tiepolo looked across his desk, his dun coloured robe seeming to merge with the wood. 

How appropriate that you make it appear that you can merge with the very scenery itself. “I do not play games Primus, my time is far too valuable for that.”

“Oh but you do Myndo and you always have.  You are a master of the games of politics and power and it was for that very reason that I took you as my protégée.  It seems of late however, that you have begun to play directly against me.  I always expected you to get to this point; in fact, I would have disposed of you eventually if you had not.  I had not expected you to be so bold so quickly, but of course, you have never been one for tolerating that which you disagree with.”  The Primus placed his elbows on the desk and interlaced his fingers, resting his chin upon them as he stared over the top of his old fashioned glasses, his bald head shining in the half light of his spacious office.

“If my actions are like games to you Primus then we are in graver danger than I believed!” Myndo snarled.  “How many times have I tried to warn you of the danger of the Federated Commonwealth Alliance?  You continue to try and justify your actions as a balancing act, but you have overbalanced the scales and they require ComStar’s firm hand to bring them back into order.”

The Primus immediately retorted, his own voice growing in volume “Precentor, your tirades on this subject are beginning to grate.  Your vision of ComStar is one I am beginning to believe is dangerous and one that goes against the words of the Blessed Blake himself.”

Myndo steadied herself.  “I go against Blake’s teachings? How can you even insinuate that? I am not the one who has allowed the two most powerful states in the Inner Sphere to unite.  The same two states who view our order with more disdain than any others.”

The Primus stood, fixing Myndo with a harsh stare.  “I took the action I deemed necessary as Primus to ensure the continued survival of our order.  This alliance would have happened regardless of our actions.  I saw it in our interest to have a hand in its formation, so that we were fully informed of the Steiner’s and Davion’s intentions.  What would you have preferred me to do? Would you have preferred that ComStar stood idly by whilst this super-state came into existence?”

Myndo spoke with a forced and measured calm as she pointed a finger at the Primus.  “I would have preferred you to act like the Primus of our Blessed Order, instead of Hanse Davions lap dog!”

The Primus’s face grew red as he answered “I am no man’s lap dog!” He paused.  “I grow tired of you accusations.  Do you wish face me down in the First Circuit?  Is the time of our confrontation at hand Myndo?  If it has then I think your ambition has finally overreached itself.”

So you force my hand old fool.  How narrow your view of my capabilities.  Myndo smiled “I think it is time we discuss the games I have been playing.”

“I see no need now Precentor.  I know you have informed Marik, Liao and Kurita of the marriage clause.  No doubt it galvanised their support for the alliance we wish them to form.  Of course, the need to use this information so soon shows me that you are not the negotiator you would have us all believe you are.”  The Primus sat, obviously planning to go on.  Myndo however spoke before he could continue.

“That was merely one action I took, and the one of least concern to you.  The action I took regarding Precentor Sian is of far more importance.”

The Primus’s eyes narrowed.  “What of Precentor Sian.  I trust Villius to undertake his duties in the correct manner as he always has.  I appointed him to his position based on his standing and his support for the true path we must all take.”

Thank you Primus.  You have made my task so much easier.  “I have Primus, in my possession, certified records from the Capellan Confederation that prove, beyond a shadow of doubt, that, as you put it, your most trustworthy Man in Sian, has been interfering in the Capellan stock market for his own personal advantage.”

The Primus quickly stood again “What it this outrage you have fabricated?  You have never liked Precentor Sian for his support of my polices, support that has often hindered your own plans of late.”

Myndo took great pleasure in the course the conversation had taken for she knew she held all the cards in this little game “This is no fabrication on my part Primus.  These documents come from the Chancellor himself.  We are lucky that the Chancellor is more circumscribed than Villius Tejh, as this outrage could stain the credibility of our Blessed Order for years.  A Precentor interfering with the working of a sovereign stock exchange.  What would the other Great Houses make of this?”

The Primus moved to the ceiling length windows of his office and looked out across the view towards the sunset, contemplating his reply.  “It seems, if this information is correct, that we must cut Precentor Sian loose.  Quietly of course.” Myndo nodded.  How quickly you move to cover yourself Primus “As Primus I will have to find a suitable replacement for him.  What does Chancellor Liao want in return?”

Myndo smiled inwardly as she prepared to pull the rug out from under her old mentor “Primus, the Chancellor simply wants that which I want.”  The Primus turned to face his Precentor “Chancellor Liao is happy for ComStar to deal with Precentor Sian in any way we wish, as long as you do two things.”

The Primus nodded to Myndo “And pray Precentor Dieron; what might his requests be?”
Myndo crossed her arms into the sleeves of her long robe before answering.  “Firstly, the new Precentor Sian will be someone he can trust, someone selected by me” Myndo held up a hand as the Primus prepared to interject “And secondly; ComStar will support Houses Liao, Kurita and Marik in their impending pre-emptive strike upon the Lyran Commonwealth and Federated Suns in any way we can.”

The Primus’s eyes widened as he drew a deep breath “Are you mad Precentor?  You think that you can dictate ComStar policy to me?  You will face me in the First Circuit tonight and I will see that you are stripped of your rank and excommunicated for encouraging such outrageous demands from a House Lord!”

Myndo approached the Primus until she stood within inches of him, lowering her voice to a whisper.  “You will do no such thing Primus.  Unless of course you wish to fall with Precentor Sian?”

Sweat broke out on the Primus’s forehead before he spoke “What do you insinuate now Precentor?”

Myndo smiled at her superior “I also have information and evidence that clearly points to you being a direct beneficiary of Precentor Sian’s actions.  I merely have to mention this in the First Circuit and your reign as Primus will be finished.  I will be hailed as a saviour who stood up to ensure our orders purity when our own Primus had sold his soul.”

The Primus lowered his head.  “So you wish to be Primus and see the end of me?”

Myndo stood back a step “I wish no such thing old friend.”

“Then what is it you want?”

“You will back my candidate for the position of Precentor Sian, Alethea Lynch, and you will present the plan that I and the three House Lords have come up with.  You will receive our support and you can declare that this is just another step in your plan to keep the Houses at war and in balance until we are ready to lead mankind back to salvation.  There will be opposition, probably from Everson and Vandel, but you will maintain your dignity as Primus as they will believe you ordered this and have the support of my faction.  Additionally, you will place me in charge of organising the support for the three Houses and subordinate Precentors Sian and Atreus directly to me in regards to this.”

The Primus moved to his desk “And if I do not agree?”

“Your reign as Primus will end tonight.”

The Primus sat back, his shoulders sagging slightly as he massaged his left shoulder with his right hand “Very well Myndo, you will have your way.  But remember this: We stand apart now and I will no longer take action to protect you from your peers.”

Myndo sneered “I need no protection.  I am protected by the Word of Blake!”

With that Myndo turned and left the room striding down the hallway from the Primus’s office.  Don’t worry old fool she thought to herself, I still need you for now, as my base of power is not sufficient to win the Primacy should you fall.  However, whichever way this war turns out, it will be the last act of your term to see its conclusion.  Any success I will make my own and any failure will be that of your office.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2018, 01:22:12 »
Chapter 4
20 September, 3022. 

Primus Julian Tiepolo looked across the First Circuit chamber where each member of the First Circuit stood behind their crystal podiums, resplendent in their red robes of office.  Resplendent, apart from the looks of open shock on most of their faces.

The Primus spoke “I ask you again Precentor Sian.  Can you deny the charges of corruption I have laid before the First Circuit here today, regarding your illegal interference in the stock exchange of a sovereign power for your own material benefit?”

Precentor Sian, Villius Tejh looked stricken.  Part of the Primus felt sorry for his old friend.  Another part held nothing but contempt.  Contempt for his actions, and yet more contempt for being stupid enough to get caught and place the office of Primus in such danger.  Old friend, you are finished.  Please go with dignity, at least that way we can be lenient.

Precentor Tejh looked the Primus in the face and spoke as though from a thousand miles away “No Primus I cannot.” There was not a sound in the chamber as he continued, “I would tender my resignation immediately and throw myself upon the mercy of my peers in judging me.”

Before the Primus could reply Precentor Dieron spoke “Excuse me Primus for interrupting, but this news is deeply shocking and goes against all that Blake teaches us.  I for one accept Precentor Sian’s resignation, as he has demonstrated that he in no way fit to any longer hold his office.  However, Precentor Sian was long a dedicated servant of ComStar before his wayward actions and I believe that that service should be recognised.  I would suggest, and of course the First Circuit may not agree with me, that in light of his previous service and background, that Villius be permanently exiled to the Explorer Corps to serve out the remainder of his days in useful service expanding our knowledge of the known universe.”

Precentor Sian was not the only one to look at Precentor Dieron in surprise.  All knew her dislike of the man but only the Primus knew the true reason for her action.  You seek to make yourself appear a moderate here tonight and your actions just now will give you space to manoeuvre in the debate to come over your plans.  My plans now.  I must find some way, some hole in your plan, through which I can undo you and remove your new power from behind my throne.

Precentor Tharkad, Ulthan Everson spoke next “If Precentor Dieron wishes to make her statement a motion I will second it.  Villius was long a faithful servant of ComStar and should be given the chance to serve out his days atoning for his misdemeanours.”

Myndo spoke up “I do so make it a motion.”

“And therefore I do second it.”

The Primus looked around the chamber “Are there any dissenting voices?” When no one spoke he continued.  “Villius Tejh, for your action in interfering with a sovereign power for your own material ends you are striped of your rank as Precentor and demoted to Adept.  The usual sentence for such action would normally be death, but due to your previous sterling record of service within our Blessed Order, you are hear by exiled to the Explorer Corps Exploration Arm for active service beginning immediately.”  Villius merely nodded his head, his figure drained of all its once powerful presence.  “Guards, escort the Adept to his quarters and assist him in preparing for his journey.”

Nothing was said as the former Precentor was lead from the room.  Each person there realising how close each stood to oblivion, should their peers turn on them.

Once the doors closed the Primus looked across the room, Now for the next farce “I would throw open the room to nominations for Precentor Sian.”

Tiepolo had hardly finished when Myndo spoke up.  “I would first like to place into nomination the name of Alethea Lynch, currently my deputy on Dieron.  Her record and acumen speak for themselves and I can think of no better candidate for the position.”

There was a pause before Precentor New Avalon, Huthrin Vandel spoke up.  “I would place the name of Arkady Simonivich, deputy of New Avalon in nomination.  He too is of remarkable character and unimpeachable integrity.  He would bring honour and dignity to the post of Precentor Sian.”

Myndo smiled to herself.  Already you seek to cement what you believe as your rightful place as heir apparent to the throne.  You always have been a little too enamoured of yourself Huthrin.  Your humiliation should be most enjoyable to watch.

After a minute the Primus spoke again.  “As there are no more nominations I would place the names of Alethea Lynch and Arkady Simonivich to you all to vote.  Those supporting Lynch need raise their right hand, those supporting Simonivich their left.”

As the Primus looked at the raised arms of those before him he saw his nightmare scenario come to light.  A drawn vote.

Huthrin Vandel, an unholy grin spreading across his features looked to the Primus “You have the casting vote Primus.  Who do you believe will be the best in this role.”

Damm you Waterly! I have eliminated one supporter tonight and now you force me to alienate another. “I believe that, having known both candidates for some time, that the one most suited to the position of Precentor Sian is Alethea Lynch.”

It was all Myndo could do to not laugh at the look that contorted Vandal’s face.  I will remember this night forever, it has been such a pleasure.

The Primus stood to his full height. I have had enough of this.  “We will adjourn until the morning when Precentor Sian can join us.  Matters for discussion then will require the entire First Circuit.  The Peace of Blake be with you all.”

The Primus hardly heard their return, I need to rest, to think.  I must gain control of this disaster.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2018, 18:51:20 »
Two chapters, today, as Chapter 5 is somewhat tiny.

Chapter 5

21 September, 3022. 

“You plan to do WHAT!?” shouted Precentor New Avalon.  “Primus, have you gone completely mad?  You seek to embroil our order directly in the Succession Wars.  This goes against everything Blake teaches us.”

Myndo looked across at the red face of Huthrin Vandel “The Primus is the only one here not mad Precentor New Avalon.  Think on this: Where have our actions got us in the last 100 years?  We are further from our goal now than we were at the end of the Second Succession War.  The Primus seeks a way in which to completely hobble the Great Houses and put them in such a position of debt to us and in such a state of disarray that they will need all our help just to survive.  Do you not see the brilliance of his plan?  The Great Houses will hammer each other into the ground, each alliance too strong to fall but to weak to conquer.”

Vandel answered “I see no such thing.” Others in the room nodded.  “You seek to openly support one faction.  Our credibility will be gone and we will be open to assault from all sides.”

Myndo spoke with scorn in her voice “You foolish blind old man.  If we do not act soon the Steiner-Davion Alliance will become a direct threat to us.  Already they do not trust us, despite their use of Terra for their negotiations.  Davion’s NAIS is the greatest threat I can imagine, and we have allowed to become allied with the mercantile pragmatism of the Lyrans.  We must take action or we will fall!”

The Primus thought to himself quietly as the debate went back and forth for what seemed like hours This is just going in circles now, time to end this nightmare sequence.  As he massaged his now ever sore left arm with his right under his robe he began to speak.  “You have all debated this plan long enough and I place it as a motion before the First Circuit.  We will vote on it now and accept the verdict.” He began going around the chamber one at a time, asking each Precentor for their vote.

Eventually he came around to Precentor Sian with the nays being one vote ahead.  Now we see how loyal you are to your sponsor “Precentor Sian, how do you vote?”

“I vote for the motion Primus” We are all going to hell because of your mistress girl.  I hope you find it warm there.

The Primus paused as the last act in his humiliation by his protégé reached fruition.  “How do you vote Precentor Dieron?”

“I vote for the motion.”

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2018, 18:56:17 »
Chapter 6

Elmau, Bavaria, Terra.
23 September, 3022. 

Janos could not help but continue to be amazed and not a little taken aback by the speed at which matters had developed.  The more he came to know Precentor Dieron the more he respected her and the less sure he was of ever trusting her.  This woman is the most accomplished politician I have ever met.  I can’t ever trust her and I must make sure I never cross her.  Unless of course I have her alone and I have a loaded gun.  A very big loaded gun.

He looked across the table at Precentor Waterly and Takashi Kurita, who sat opposite Maximillian Liao and the new Precentor Sian, Alethea Lynch.  Precentor Sian was the antithesis of Liao.  Were Liao was thin and possessed a look of cunning and guile, Lynch was, to put it politely, portly and somewhat dull looking.  She had, however, proved herself to be anything but dull in the ongoing conversations regarding the coming war and its organisation.  Her true test would no doubt be that of keeping Maximillian Liao on a leash, and it was for this reason that Janos had sought to cultivate her acquaintance and friendship as much as was possible, much as Max was trying with Precentor Atreus, who sat at Janos’s right.

Precentor Atreus, Bernard Woolley, was a plain looking man with a pleasant face, one that spoke of a friendly attitude, which was topped by short dark hair.  His apparent good natured and somewhat bumbling manner hid a razor sharp intellect and instinct for intrigue that had done great service for ComStar during his time dealing with Free World’s politics on Atreus.

Precentor Dieron began to summarise their basic plan so far before the meeting broke up.  “So we are agreed then?  The DCMS will launch an initial assault against both the Galtor and Moresby Thumbs to draw F-C forces away from the Terran region.  Following this, FWLM and CCAF forces will launch feints against the outer half of the Lyran Commonwealth and Federated Suns respectively to draw off further forces.  Once the allied forces have reacted to these attacks, a strike en masse against the Terran regions of both realms will be undertaken utilising the remaining forces of the DCMS, supported by ComStar hired mercenaries and newly raised troops, and by the FWLM and CCAF using forces stripped from their mutual border.”

Takashi nodded “That is the basic plan yes, but it remains to be seen what our high commands will make of it and how readily implementable the plan will be.”

Maximillian continued “Of course the plan can only be successful if ComStar provides the promised supplies, Mechs, and transport assets as well as additional intelligence on our targets.  And what of the Periphery realms?  You have spoken of involving them before Precentor, but you have added little to that over the last week.”

Myndo nodded her head at both men “I do not think it prudent to encourage the Periphery realms until we are ready to move.  Their intelligence networks are not as secure as ours and a pre-emptive strike by the F-C Alliance is the last thing we would wish for as your troops are in transit.”

Janos looked at Precentor Dieron “I agree with your assessment of the Periphery.  However, I still do not believe we will gain complete surprise.  The LIC, DMI, and MIIO will determine something is amiss and both realms will reinforce to some degree.  Although my esteemed colleagues believe that we can take most of the Federation of Skye and drive the Federated Suns back to Marlette, I still think we are being overly ambitious.  We should set ourselves more limited goals that can be exploited later if we are successful, instead of overreaching and opening ourselves to a dangerous counter-attack.”

Maximillian Liao looked over at Janos and muttered “If you had behaved more boldly before 3015, perhaps your brother might still have remained loyal.”

Janos shot to his feet “You wretched cur! How dare you call my reason into disrepute with your poisoned barbs.  One day you will receive the reckoning that you deserve for the damage you have done to my realm!”

Precentor Woolley stood as well “Please Captain-General, you must remain calm.  He seeks to anger you.  Do not stoop to his level.”

Liao looked at Woolley “Never forget your place Precentor.  I am the Celestial Paragon of the Capellan Empire.  No one can lower themselves to my level as none are above me!”

Myndo stood and raised her voice above the din “ENOUGH!  This bickering serves but one purpose – That of the Steiner-Davion alliance.  Unless you can see reason and decency in your conversations and in our planning, there is little hope for the future of any of your realms.”

Takashi, impassive throughout the exchange, spoke up “Perhaps, Precentor Dieron, it is time we recessed for the day?”

“Perhaps you are right Coordinator.”  Myndo looked to the others who nodded their assent.  “Until tomorrow then gentlemen.”  Pleasantries were exchanged as the Successor Lords and Precentor Atreus departed.  Myndo looked at Precentor Lynch “Alethea, would you please send in Colonel Hamilton when you leave?”

Precentor Sian bowed as she answered “Yes Precentor.” She paused “Do you really believe these bickering children will cooperate long enough to make this plan succeed?”

“The plan has only to partially succeed Alethea.  The fighting will bog down and all five realms will exhaust each other.  Liao will eventually turn on Marik and in the end we will be that much closer to our eventual goal of uniting mankind under our banner.”

“As you say Myndo.  I will send in Colonel Hamilton.  May the Peace of Blake be with you.”

“And with you Precentor Sian.”  Myndo mulled over the myriad outcomes the coming war would produce and most placed ComStar in an unassailable position of strength.  And now to ensure we can back up that strength with force.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2018, 02:48:57 »
Bloody excellent stuff!  Waterly's planning seems to be paying off but one cannot help but think this will come back and bite her in her ass, or throat. 

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2018, 02:52:00 »
Thanks, but what would make you go and think something nasty like that?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2018, 03:54:32 »
:D Apart from the fact that really, Waterly was gloriously evil. She could have changed the white robe of Primus out for the full on Ming the Merciless robe and shoulder-pads and cane (and possibly even the full fu-manchu 'stach/Beard combo) and really, no one would have batted an eye as it was pretty much par for the course with her :p.  And she's playing cards against some VERY skilled players, Lord Kurita especially. 
« Last Edit: 25 March 2018, 04:05:56 by marauder648 »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #12 on: 25 March 2018, 04:16:04 »
She is juggling with fire in a refinery.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2018, 20:15:06 »
She is juggling with fire in a refinery.
that that what making this great!!!
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2018, 23:38:38 »
Chapter 7

Elmau, Bavaria, Terra.
23 September, 3022.

Colonel Hamilton, the technical commander of the ComGuards and Terran Defence Force, was an impressive looking man of 55, whose forty years of service in various mercenary commands had given him a weathered look that suited his role as a commander admirably.  He was tall, well over six feet in height and built strong, like someone who worked himself hard on a daily basis.  His bearing was reserved and composed, but there seemed to be a slight hint of mischief in his eyes, something that caught Precentor Waterly by surprise.

“Good evening Colonel.” Began Myndo “I am glad you could make the journey from Sandhurst to meet with me.”

“It is a pleasure Precentor.  The current class of cadets graduated yesterday and they are still celebrating.  Much as I would like to join them, I must admit to not being able to enjoy myself in the manner I once could.”

Precentor Dieron smiled in return “I understand entirely Colonel.  I myself am taken with more leisurely pursuits as I accumulate years.”  Myndo stood before continuing and crossed to the Colonel, taking his hand.  “I must confess to one piece of information that intrigues me about you, Colonel Hamilton.  Why do you call yourself Colonel and not Precentor?”

Colonel Hamilton laughed, a rather loud but altogether unforced sound “That was not entirely of my doing.  For many years, my Executive Officer Pat Millray and I joked about becoming Colonels of our own mercenary regiments.  After we signed on with ComStar and were eventually accepted into the ComGuards, it seemed that dream would never happen.  When I was promoted to Precentor last year, Pat gave a speech at the ceremony, saying that since Precentor was about as good as a Colonel and that I had reached that rank first, he would just have to call me Colonel to fulfil our dream.  He kept calling me Colonel, and the troops seem to have caught on.  Before I knew it everyone, even the Primus, was addressing me as Colonel and no matter what I said, it stuck.”

Myndo smiled warmly in return and retook her seat, indicating for the Colonel to do the same.  “It must be quite a mark of respect for your men to embrace your informal title in such a way.” She suddenly turned serious “Do you believe you are deserving of such respect?”

The Colonel though for a moment “As I have not been tested in my new command as yet, I cannot answer that question.  However, I would like to think the experience I have gained over the years will stand me in good stead when the time to be tested comes.”

Myndo looked the Colonel directly in the eyes “Well then General Hamilton, lets see how you face that test now shall we?”

Colonel Hamilton looked at Myndo quizzically “Test? What test do you speak of? And also Precentor, my rank is Colonel, General is dream beyond my scope.”

“The test I speak is the formation of a new ComGuards Army, one that can effectively protect Terra and strike out pre-emptively in force should the need ever arise.  I have been appointed by the Primus to coordinate this new birth of the ComGuards and you will assist me directly in implementing it.  I also assure you General Hamilton that I will have no mere Colonel in command of such an organisation.  I had selected the title of Precentor Martial for you, and of course this will be your official title, but I have little doubt after hearing your story that the ComGuards will start referring to you as General when word of your promotion gets out.”

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2018, 23:52:24 »
Chapter 8

Atreus City, Atreus,
Marik Commonwealth, Free Worlds League
28 October, 3022. 

Captain-General Janos Marik walked quickly down the long corridors of the Free Worlds League Military’s main administration building.  He would have to move fast, as Thomas was introducing the new Acts in a little over two hours.  Walking ahead, Janos’s aide opened a door labelled Corps and Regimental Administration – Colonel James Hudson.

Janos entered the room where a Colonel and three sergeants stood at attention, saluting.  The grey haired man, who was obviously Colonel Hudson spoke first “Captain-General, it is an honour to meet you sir.”

Janos saluted and took the Colonel’s hand “Thankyou Colonel, do you have the paperwork I requested ready?”

Yes sir, all that remains is for signature in several places for each document and the regimental groups become active.”

“Thankyou Colonel, you have done the League a great service today.  Where are the documents?”

In here, in my office sir.  They are arranged in order and ready for you.  Please take as long as you need, you will not be disturbed.”  The Colonel pointed the way into a small office that had obviously seen a very recent and very thorough clean.

“Thankyou Colonel, I won’t be long.”  Marik entered the office, closed the door, and sat at the small utilitarian, pressboard desk.  Staring up from a pile was the first folder with its title emblazoned above the Marik Eagle: Commissioning/Recommissioning Instructions for the 4th Free Worlds Guards.  Marik smiled to himself.  The first step in humbling Parliament and ensuring the survival of the League and my family.  Thank you for thinking of this Thomas, you have reaffirmed why I chose you as my successor.

Janos opened the document at the first tag and signed his name and title to the document.  He did so at seven other places.  Continuing on to the next folder labelled: Commissioning/Recommissioning Instructions for the 5th Free Worlds Guards he smiled again.

He continued on through the twelve folders: 6th Guards, 3rd, 7th, 11th, 12th, 14th, and 16th Marik Militias, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Atrean Dragoons and the 2nd Atrean Hussars.
As he signed the final place for the activation of the 2nd Hussars, he laughed and stood, drawing an envelope from his breast pocket.  He walked to the door and opened it.  “Colonel, please have one of your men have these filed and inputted into the LCCC system immediately.”

“Yes Captain-General.  Sergeant Cho, see to it straight away.”  One of the sergeants saluted and quickly moved past Janos to collect the folders before hurrying out of the office and off down the corridor.  “They should be in the system within thirty minutes sir.” Said Hudson.

Janos looked at the clock.  With an hour to spare.  Now it is up to you Thomas.  “Colonel Hudson, you were once a line officer before being shunted into your current position.  I believe you told a superior officer what you though of his plan at a General Staff meeting and effectively ended your active command career?”

The Colonel looked somewhat glum as he replied.  “Yes sir, I was a little too opinionated and cost myself the chance to effectively lead a regiment of the League.”

Janos smiled and handed the envelope he was holding to the Colonel.  “I think you have served a sufficient penance in this office and your record prior to that event was exemplary.”  The Colonel took the envelope.  “Contained in that set of orders is your transfer to an active command.  Additional orders will arrive tomorrow and then we shall see just how good you really are?”

The Colonel looked stunned “Reactivation Sir? To what unit?  The current promotions cycle is only halfway complete?”

Janos stared at the Colonel hard “For your services in strengthening the League, Colonel Hudson, you are to be the first commander of the newly commissioned 2nd Atrean Hussars.  Currently they have a strength of one man - You.  That will change quickly and will be the first challenge of your new command.”

An hour later, Thomas stood before the fully assembled Parliament of the Free Worlds League to speak on behalf of his father.  The myriad costumes of the various Provinces were like a wild rainbow gone mad.  He would soon bring order to this chaos and have them all dancing to his tune.  He looked across at the Duke of Oriente, the only other man who knew his plan and nodded once.  Here we go.

Thomas began “Esteemed Members of Parliament, I have been asked by my Father, Janos Marik, Captain-General of the Free Worlds League, as his acting deputy in this matter, to bring before Parliament two pieces of legislation that, it is hoped, will assist in further healing the rifts that have existed between the office of Captain-General and the Parliament in the past.  Speaker, if I may present the first bill to the house?”

The Speaker of Parliament, Hector Stewart, his long hair swaying as he spoke, looked quizzically at Thomas.  “This is highly irregular Thomas.”

Thomas looked to the speaker “But not unprecedented Speaker and I am sure the House will welcome the Bill.”

Stewart’s small eyes narrowed as he thought “Very well Thomas, but tread cautiously.”

Thomas bowed his head slightly “Thankyou Speaker.  Esteemed members of the House, you will find in the documents being handed to you a document entitled Affirmation of the Home Defence Act.  This document seeks to end the strife that has existed between Parliament and the Captain-General over the use of Provincial forces.  Basically it states that all Provincial forces, barring the Fusiliers of Oriente,” he nodded again to Duke Halas “will be allowed to return home over the coming twenty four month period and to be replaced on the borders with Federal troops.  Any Province that cannot meet its defence needs will be provided with Federal troops to assist in the defence of the border.”  Thomas’s announcement was greeted by silence and then a moment later by uproar, mainly from the Marik benches as they began to shout that the Marik’s had sold out their office. 

As the speaker shouted for silence Thomas continued “Please allow me to finish and ally your fears.” He said as he faced his supporters benches “We do not seek to sell out the League.  The second bill before you is entitled the Temporary Diversion of War Materials Bill.  This Bill states that over the coming twenty four months, as the provisions of the Affirmation of the Home Defence Act come into effect, war materials will be diverted to bring existing Federal forces up to full strength as they will be required to shoulder a greater burden of the defence of the League.  This bill only has a life of twenty four months and its provisions will end then, restoring the standard LCCC resupply methods.”

Dame Catherine Humphries of Andurien stood and was recognised by the speaker.  The old dame skewered Thomas with her piercing gaze “So boy – What stops you and your father from raising additional regiments and creating an army to dominate the Provinces?”

“The Act Duchess, specifically forbids the raising of new regiments by the Federal Government during that period, unless the unit was destroyed or disbanded during that time.  The only actions the LCCC can take are those to bring existing Federal units up to strength.”

Catherine continued “So you want to give the Provinces their armies back and take on the burden of defence through the Federal forces? Why?”

“Because that was the intention of the original FWLM, something we have all forgotten over the years.  My father and I see the coming alliance of the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth as a grave threat.  We wish to ensure that when the alliance moves, it is against a united and peaceful League that is prepared to meet the threat on both a Provincial and Federal level.”

Catherine nodded and sat.  Thomas sat as well and Parliament began debating the pro’s and Con’s of the bills.  It became readily apparent that self-interest would win the day, as the Provinces believed they would gain more autonomy.  With Thomas and Christopher Halas backing the bill and Regulus eager to have greater control over it troops, the bills were sure to pass.

Three hours later both bills did pass with an overwhelming majority, in time for the Members of Parliament to see the evening news briefs that announced the restoration or formation of twelve Federal BattleMech regiments that very morning.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #16 on: 04 April 2018, 03:22:43 »
Chapter 9

Imperial City, Luthien,
Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine
1 November, 3022.

Coordinator Theodore Kurita stared at the doors at the end of the throne room, waiting for them to open and admit his guests, all the while mulling over the mad series of events that had brought him to this exulted position.  His father was dead, dead as a result of the catastrophic impact a speeding chunk of space rock had caused when it struck his Dropship with incredible force.  The powerful impact was strong enough to set of a chain of sympathetic detonations that tore the Coordinator’s Dropship apart shortly after its arrival in the Luthien system.  There was nothing that anyone could do but stand helplessly by as the ship blew itself to pieces and ended the reign of Takashi Kurita.

Well father, we never have to clash again.  I, instead, will have to clash with your legacy, as I seek to establish my own.  Upon hearing of his father’s death, and in an effort to stymie any efforts his treacherous relative Mies Kurita might make in a push for the throne, Theodore used his Yakuza contacts within the Legions of Vega to ensure that a command circuit of merchant DropShips was in place within days of his father’s death.  The circuit speeded his journey to Luthien, allowing Theodore to arrive before anyone could have realistically expected him.  Two days later, a little over three weeks ago, he had been confirmed as Coordinator of the Draconis Combine.  That was when the surprises had really begun.

The visit from Myndo Waterly, ComStar’s Precentor Dieron, was confronting to say the least.  His father’s actions had committed the Combine to a bold move, though one he agreed was necessary.  His father’s initial planning was, however, far too conservative, stuck in outmoded methods, incorrect assumptions, and outdated planning techniques.  Changes will need to be made and they start here today.  The Warlords of the Dragon had arrived on Luthien quickly after he summoned them, as had his other guests, and all were now about to begin to appreciate his vision for the Dragon.

The large doors at the end of the room swung open, pushed aside by two members of the Otomo, the household guards.  Leading the procession into the room were the five Warlords of the Draconis Combine.  Fat, abrasive and arrogant as ever, Vasily Cherenkoff, Warlord of Dieron, led the procession, followed closely by Ivan Sorenson, the balding Warlord of Rasalhague.  Behind these two was Grieg Samsonov, Warlord of Galedon, his ever present sneer readily apparent as he glared at Cherenkoff’s back.  Entering together were the Warlords of Benjamin and Pesht; Hirushi Shotogama and Kester Hsiun Chi, both men carrying themselves with far greater reserve than the three Warlords in front of them.

Behind the Warlords came four others, the first two entering with a presence that was awe inspiring.  Yorinaga Kurita, Theodore’s second cousin, grave of visage as always and dressed in a simple black kimono, entered at the side of a black man Theodore recognised as Minobu Tetsuhara, the highly successful liaison officer assigned to Wolf’s Dragoons.  Tetsuhara had begun the process of creating the Ryuken, the DCMS’s clone of the Dragoons.  With these two men were Generals Fydor Markt and Sotei Ganacheho, both appearing out of place in such a gathering.

All nine men bowed to Theodore and he returned the gesture.  Once all had arranged themselves before the Dragon Throne he began speaking.  “As you all now aware, my father has committed the Combine to a war against the F-C Alliance.  The planning so far conducted has been of little value and is mired in the misconceptions of old theories of war.  I require this plan to be changed so that The Dragon can unleash the full potential of its power.”

Warlord Cherenkoff sneered before speaking “What do you know of strategy Theodore?  You think that by removing your boyish locks and moustache and sitting on that throne you have the right to disparage the plan your father and his best Warlord’s created?”

Ah Vasily, your arrogance will be your undoing.  You always underestimated me, as you thought I was just a Princely fop, but you forget your history.  Oda Nobunaga was seen as a fool as well, yet when he emerged from his disguise, he became the founder of a new and powerful order, much as I intend.  Theodore sat back into the throne and spoke quietly “I can question whatever I wish, for I am The Dragon and my word is law.  I exist to protect the Combine from threats both within and without.  This plan, this mockery of proper military science, is a threat to the future security of the Dragon.  You seek to divert the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth with direct assaults against the thumbs.  Any planner with sense would see that attacking in a manner which seeks the cut these salients off would elicit a far greater response from our enemies.”

Grieg Samsonov answered “You wish us to slink around behind the enemy like cowards.  True Samurai face their enemy front on, with honour; they do not hide behind shadow strategies.  This plan was your father’s plan, created with the advice of myself and Warlord Cherenkoff in the true tradition of The Dragon.  We served his vision then and we serve him now.  We will not let some puffed up young whelp tell us how to command the armies of the Dragon!”

“You serve my father still?”  Theodore looked at Cherenkoff and Samsonov.

Both stood forward “We do.”

Theodore smiled “Then it is best you move onward so you can serve him all the more closely.”

Cherenkoff faltered “M…move on?”

Theodore voice dropped low and menacing “Yes you coward, move onwards.  Remove yourself and Warlord Samsonov and show your true loyalty to my father, anything less and you would not be true Samurai.”

Both Warlords stood stunned as Theodore looked up and called to the Otomo at the ends of the room.  “Otomo, escort the Warlords of Dieron and Benjamin to the Inner Garden and provide them with all the necessary assistance to commit seppuku.  They intend to show the armies of The Dragon what true loyalty is.”

As the Otomo moved down the hall and emerged from behind the throne, both officers began protesting but were cut off by Theodore.  “Comport yourself as warriors or I will have executed as traitors and your heads displayed before the Imperial Palace!”

The guards quickly moved the two stunned men from the room as another man moved from behind a small alcove behind the throne.  Subhash Indrahar, known as the smiling one, the head of the Internal Security Force, was dressed in a simple red and gold Kimono that hid his physique and made him look somewhat monkish.  “A creative option my Lord.  You surprised me.  I had believed it would take more than that to lead those two to the end you required.  If they were that simple to manipulate, it is of great benefit to The Dragon that they are gone.”

Theodore nodded, “Yes Director, now we can deal with more serious matters.  Warlord Sorenson.”  Theodore looked at the now nervous Warlord of Rasalhague “You had a part in this plan.  Do you wish to support it or are you willing to revise your input to ensure its success?”

Sorenson bowed deeply to Theodore “I live to serve The Dragon’s will Coordinator.”

Theodore smiled at Sorenson “Your dedication is a fine example to all Samurai Ivan.”

“Thankyou Coordinator, I will do what I can to assist with the new plan.”

Theodore then looked across at his cousin who bowed as Theodore spoke “It has been a long time since you have walked upon the soil of the Black Pearl cousin.  I apologise for disturbing you in your retreat on Echo and for being forced to deny your request to take your life, but The Dragon is in need of one such as yourself.”

Yorinaga straitened and answered “The Dragon’s will is my own Coordinator, but you place too much faith in the abilities of a simple hermit.”

“Too little faith has been placed in you by others, to the great detriment of the Combine.  Your action on Mallory’s World should have been used as an example to all in the Combine that personal honor can be sacrificed for the greater good of The Dragon.  What was forgotten is that the Dragon must return that honour to the warrior for his actions and not cast him aside.”

Yorinaga bowed again “You pay me too much respect Coordinator.  My honor was lost when Kell defeated me; there is no path back from that disgrace.”

Theodore stood and descended the steps before the Dragon Throne “The Dragon owes you a debt of honor Yorinaga-san that cannot be repaid in simple ways.  I will refuse any request for you to commit seppuku, as I believe you have nothing to atone for.  Will you accept my decision as to your fate and to the duties I wish for you to undertake?”

Yorinaga bowed low again “I will do as The Dragon directs.”

“Very well then.  There is a title, a position, which goes back to the very earliest days of our nation.  This position was held by only one other and is one of great honor and prestige.  Its holder has the power to shape the Armies of The Dragon as he and the Coordinator see fit.  I wish for you, Kurita Yorinaga, to accept the position as my deputy, as Gunji-no-Kanrei.  You will help me reshape the DCMS into the weapon it needs to be to assure the safety of our people.  In doing so, you will also form a new unit, drawn from the best of the DCMS to be the symbol for all in our armies to aspire to.  Each warrior is to be moulded in your image and trained to be like you yourself in battle.  Do you accept this small attempt at honouring the Dragon’s debt to you?”

“Any honor the Dragon bestows upon me is more than I deserve Coordinator, but I will accept.  I have however, but one question.  What of Kell?”

Theodore thought for a moment “Once your duties are complete and our armies reforged, should you still wish it, I will release you to face your past.”

“Thankyou Coordinator.”  Said Yorinaga as he bowed again and Theodore returned the gesture.

Theodore turned slightly to his right and looked at Minobu Tetsuhara “Your actions regarding Wolf’s Dragoons and your previous service have made you stand out amongst your peers.  However, they seem not to have recognised your abilities.”

Minobu bowed low “My abilities are of little worth my lord, I have only ever sought to serve The Dragon in what simple ways I could.”

Theodore moved to the front of Minobu.  “Your attributes and abilities are greater than you realise.  You too understand the need for greater thought in our military processes and the need to consider plans that others may think do not garner sufficient honor in the traditional way.  You understand the need to respect all those who serve The Dragon.  My people, and those of Director Indrahar, have watched you for some time and greatly respect your abilities.”

Minobu, still looking down straightened “You honor me Coordinator.”

“I have a duty for you as well Minobu.  You will replace Samsonov as Warlord of Galedon.” Theodore waved away the protest that was forming “And you will continue your work with Wolf’s Dragoons.  You will work with Kanrei Kurita to modify our plans and ensure that your Ryuken regiments are ready and able to take part in the coming war.  You must also ensure that Wolf’s Dragoons remain happy in the service of the Combine as we will need their expertise when the time comes.”

Minoru was hard pressed to conceal his shock “You ask too much Coordinator.  Promoting a mere Chu-sa to this rank is unheard of.  What of the Generals, what will they say?”

Theodore looked Minobu straight in the face “They will do as I, and you, order them.  I am The Dragon and my word is law.”

Minobu bowed deeply again “You honour me more than you know Coordinator, I will not fail you.”

Theodore then looked at the two other Warlords “Warlord Shotogama, your service in Benjamin has been a mark of honour to you.  I require you to remain in your post and prepare your district in accordance with our plans.” Shotogama bowed deeply as Theodore continued “Warlord Hsiun Chi, you will move to Dieron to take up command there.  I trust this will be a challenge finally worthy of your abilities?”

The old man bowed to Theodore “You honor an old man’s fading abilities my lord, I will serve you as best my limited skills allow.”

Theodore then faced the other two men “General Markt, you will take command of the district of Pesht as Warlord, your service to date merits this.  General Ganacheho, you will be personal aide to the Kanrei.  You have displayed a penchant for unconventional thinking that will be of benefit to our planning.”

Both men bowed low and answered together “The Dragon’s will is my own.”

Theodore then cast his eyes across the entire group “Let us eat together now before we begin forming our plans.  Plans to give our beloved Combine the new strength that is worthy of its great name.”

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #17 on: 08 April 2018, 01:51:49 »
Chapter 10

Forbidden City, Sian,
Sian Commonality, Capellan Confederation
2 November, 3022.

“Yes father, I would be honoured to provide Senior Colonel Ridzik with the operational room he requires to launch the strike against the Terran regions.”  Said Candace Liao, as she stood beside her father looking out across the Palace’s vast gardens “I am not sure what my sister will say to this.  She will believe she is deserving of the right to command such forces.”

Maximillian Liao looked at his eldest daughter, turning from the view the balcony provided of the gardens surrounding the palace.  “Your sister will serve under the Senior Colonel, both need to be watched and they can watch each other.  I see no reason for her to complain of your independent command.  You will lead a diversionary strike, intended to win what you can for St.  Ives and Sian.  Meanwhile, she will be part of our main effort to crush Davion’s forces.”

Candace shrugged, in a lop-sided way due to her damaged and scarred right shoulder.  “She will not see it so.  She sees slights where there are none and will oppose anything she feels makes her subordinate to me.”

Maximillian, his patience thin at the best of times regarding his daughters bickering snapped back “She will do as she is ordered or she will take no part in this plan.”

“Very Well father.”  Candace knew she had pushed far enough.  “What of Tormana, will he have any part to play?”  Candace knew she was pushing another button, however, Candace wished to know her father’s plans for her brother.

“He can do as he wishes, I no longer care.”  Maximillian turned back to the view of the gardens.

Candace pushed again, as the breeze strengthened, blowing her dark hair about her in a haphazard way “May he serve on my staff?”

“If you think you can find a use for the disappointment, you can do as you like.”

“Thankyou father.”  It was high time to change subjects.  She chose one she knew would humour her father “What of McCarron’s strike against the Federated Suns?  How does he progress?”

Maximillian’s face changed remarkably as it lit up with a huge grin “So far McCarron has struck successfully at Muskegon, Marlette, Kathil, Farwell and Tawas.  His last message has him heading back on his trail for Goshen and Beten Kaitos.  If only my line forces would display such daring and commitment as these mercenaries.”

“Of course, the new regiments we raise with ComStar’s aid may be what you seek?”

Maximillian continued to smile “Yes, perhaps you are right.  We need fearless soldiers who hold daring in their heart.  McCarron will not be back in time to undertake their training though.”

Candace leaped on the opportunity “Perhaps I might be of assistance father.  I have studied McCarron’s methods in detail and believe I can not only instil them in our new forces but also improve upon them.  I would create a force loyal and dedicated to your vision, loyal to you father and the avatars of your will on the battlefield.”

Maximillian turned with a look of predatory glee on his face that unnerved Candace.  Taking her hand, he said.  “Yes beloved daughter that would be a wonderful gift indeed.  You will have these troops ready for my needs when the time comes.  They shall be the Chancellors Own Grenadiers, made in my honor and in McCarron’s image.”

Candace watched as her father turned and left the balcony.  Yes father, I will create a counter-weight against Rizdik’s loyal Tikonov forces and my sisters Thuggee followers.  With these new regiments and my own forces in St.  Ives so close to Sian, in the future, any development in the heart of our realm will be determined by me.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #18 on: 08 April 2018, 01:56:18 »
Chapter 11

Sandhurst Military Academy,
England, Terra
5 November, 3022.

“Nice birthday joke Colonel…I’m sorry, I meant General Hamilton!”  Pat Millray’s bright face lit up like the glossiness of his bald head as he smiled at his old friend.  “Where in this little joke does ComStar hide all these fanciful toys you say they have?”

General (Precentor Martial) Hamilton kept his face passive, even though he wanted to smile at his old friend, an action that would make Pat think it really was all a joke.  “It’s for real Pat.  ComStar really does have all this hardware lying about.”

Pat stared at the information in his hands, his half open mouth showing the hole where the front tooth he lost fighting on Loric once was.  “This is a whole bloody army.  Mechs, Fighters, Tanks, and enough infantry gear to start a fair sized revolution.  Where did all this come from?”

The General sat back in his high backed chair and smiled as he remembered how his own reaction was almost identical.  “You ever hear the tales of the lost Divisions?  Those SLDF units that historians lost track of during the Exodus era?”

Pat looked up “Yeah, I think so.  Aren’t they the ones that a lot of historians reckon were actually lost taking Terra from the Usurper, but were hushed up to make Kerensky look better?”

Yeah, those ones.  Well they survived and decided to not follow the General out of known space.  They stayed to help protect Terra and over the years were demobilised and their equipment mothballed.  The current units we command come from part of that haul, but as you can see they are only a mere fraction.”

Pat stood up and walked across to the wall map of Terra and began marking depots with pins.  “So why are they telling us this now?  They want us to build them an army or some such?”

The General smiled again “Pretty much.”

Pat stopped putting pins in the map and leant his dark head against the wall.  “Got anything to drink?”

“You know where everything is kept.”

Pat walked across the small office and rummaged around in the bar fridge tucked away inside a cabinet and came out with two bottles of Terra’s own Chimay Rouge fine Belgian beer.  Pat looked at the bottle, “I always liked your taste in ales.  So what are we meant to do?”

Angus stood up and took the offered beer from his friend and took a swig of the strong dark beer.  God this stuff is good.  “Precentor Dieron is to oversee us undertake the supply of Kurita, Marik and Liao forces to the tune of approximately twenty plus BattleMech regiments between them, along with additional supporting assets.  We also, at the same time, have to begin a rapid expansion of ComStar’s own military arm.”

Pat’s dark face crinkled as he frowned “Expand their military arm? By how much?”

“To the equivalent of twenty seven regiments.”

“You’re off your head.”

“In two years.”

“Have you been drinking heavily lately?”

“Precentor Dieron wanted forty eight regiments in the same time frame.”

“She should be committed.”

“I managed to convince her that twenty seven was more realistic.”

“Aren’t you a saint?”

The General’s smile broadened “C’mon Pat, it’s not impossible.  Besides, it’s not my problem; it’s yours.”

Pat flopped himself into the chair opposite his old friend.  “My problem?  What are you talking about?”  Pat’s single eye took on a shrewd look as he stared hard at the General.

General Hamilton stood to his full height at attention.  “As of this moment, Demi-Precentor IV Patrick Nathan Millray, you are promoted to full Precentor as aide-de-camp to the Precentor Martial and given command of Sandhurst Royal Military Academy in order to begin the recruitment and training of the new ComGuards.  Happy Birthday.”

Pat stared long at his friend, his face expressionless.  “You complete and utter bastard!”

Angus sat, taking great pleasure in his friends shock.  “You always wanted command Pat.  Now it’s time to see if you can put your money where that enormous mouth of yours is.”

Pat took a long swig from his beer before responding.  “I’m not going to forgive you for putting me through this and just so we are clear, if you try and interfere in my training scheme I’ll tell your wife about that time we were on Sirius.”

Angus sat back and nodded, “Alright you have a deal.  But I’ll need you have something ready to present to myself and Precentor Dieron in three weeks when she visits Sandhurst.”

Pat looked at his friend with something akin to venomous malice.  “It just doesn’t stop with you does it?  Maybe I’ll just tell your missus about Sirius anyway.”

The General put his long legs up, resting his dark boots on the desktop.  “Play nice Pat.”

“Why?  You're not.”  He suddenly turned serious.  “Why us?  There have to be more indoctrinated soldiers about to give this to.”

Angus put his beer down.  “I asked Precentor Waterly the same thing.  She said because we were the best ComStar has.  She said she was comfortable with us because we were born on Terra and both returned home.  ComStar knows of our open distaste for the Successor States from our time as mercenaries and there is no one else with the experience the two of us have.  She did say she would prefer us to have a little more obvious faith in ComStar’s vision, but understands that thirty years as soldiers has probably caused us to become somewhat cynical.”

Pat snorted “Cynical is just the half of it.  You and I best make sure that these techno-priests don’t get too uppity when we start whipping this army into shape.  They pay well, I’m back home, and I like the work, but I have never really felt comfortable around the higher ups.”

The General picked up his beer again.  “Oh come on Pat, you’ve never been happy around the higher ups of any stripe.”

Pat looked thoughtful for a second.  “Probably explains why I never could stand you.”  Both men laughed.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 08 April 2018, 02:28:59 »
Great updates, but I wonder what the Fed/Lyran response will be, they surely can't be just sitting there waiting to get hit.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #20 on: 08 April 2018, 02:29:51 »
They're doing what they can...

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #21 on: 08 April 2018, 08:11:33 »
Interesting thanks
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #22 on: 13 April 2018, 21:28:28 »
Chapter 12

Triad, Tharkad,
District of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth
12 November, 3022.

Simon Johnson looked across the desk at Archon Katrina Steiner as he repeated himself “Yes Archon, it would appear that the Free Worlds League is in somewhat of an uproar.  Janos Marik and his son Thomas have pulled off something of a coup.  A coup incidentally, that could threaten us directly once the effects of their actions begin to be felt.  Additionally, Theodore has rearranged the power structure of the Combine in a way that is most alarming to our Generals”

Katrina, radiant as always and dressed in her uniform of a General of the LCAF, flicked through the intelligence documents before her.  “Janos is going to have something akin to a Civil War on his hands again if he is not careful.”

Simon Johnson frowned “We can only hope, but I think that is wishful thinking on our part.”

“Explain.”

“My experts on the League, and the intelligence we are getting from there, indicate that there is nothing Parliament can realistically do.  The General population have responded well, to both their own units coming home and an overall strengthening of the Federal forces for duty against the League’s foes.  Janos and Thomas were also very clever with how they played this one.  They followed procedure properly, albeit in a truncated form, but that is not unprecedented.  Parliament voted unanimously to support their efforts and cannot try and overturn the ruling, as they have long cried out for the Captain-Generals to be more dedicated to following the dictates of Parliament.  Even if Janos’s opposition did try and strike down the bill with new legislation, he has enough support from Marik, Oriente and many of the smaller Provinces to ensure it does not happen.  Andurien and Regulus can scream all they like, but he has given them what they wanted and they are just going to have to swallow it.  It’s quite masterful.”

Katrina tossed the folder down on her desk.  “I’m glad you approve.  How long until the new regiments are all on line?”

Johnson thought for a moment as his amazing mind sifted through the myriad of memorised reports that were held in there.  His ability to commit material to memory and recall it at will is frightening.  Thought Katrina.  “I would guess, with the League’s current production levels, and if their losses remain constant, that it would take at least six years for these regiments to come on line.  That is of course a variable number depending on circumstance.  It does present us with an opportunity.  The Provincial forces will be within their home territories in two years, giving us a valuable two year window to exploit before all the new regiments are active.”

Katrina folded her hands in her lap.  “True.  However, why would Janos expose himself like that?  He must know we will take advantage of this?”

“Perhaps he feels the freedom he gains from Parliament is worth the loss of a few worlds.  Or worse, he has new production facilities or storehouses we are not aware of.”

Katrina made a decision.  “Find out Simon.  Either way we need to ensure we can keep the League in check.  The Combine is still the greater threat, especially now with their new command arrangements.”

Simon looked grave as he answered.  “It is more serious than that Archon.”

“It must be to give you pause.”

Johnson put another folder on the table.  “The rearrangement of the High Command of the DCMS is serious enough.  The men now in charge are all noted for their ability to think outside the Samurai box.  All, apart from perhaps Ivan Sorensen, have an aptitude for detailed and innovative planning and are now in positions that will allow that skill to permeate the DCMS.  But that is not all.  The Coordinator has authorised the formation of eight new regiments.  One in honour of his father and based on his father’s old guard.  They are to be known as the Dragons’ Claws.  Another, perhaps the most dangerous, is being formed by Kanrei Yorinaga personally and is to be called the Genyosha, the Black Ocean.  The other group will be more of an issue for Hanse Davion in the short term but may prove a threat to us as well.  The new Warlord of Galedon, Minobu Tetsuhara, is overseeing the formation of a six regiment group called the Ryuken, the Dragon’s Sword, based on, and trained by, Wolf’s Dragoons.”

Katrina felt a hollow open up on her insides.  “We could be facing up to ten new regiments on our borders in the next five years, perhaps more, all led by newly invigorated commands in both realms.”

“Yes.”

Katrina thought out loud “We still outstrip our foes in sheer production of Mechs, but our plans for expanding aerospace and armour production to begin the formation of AFFS style RCT’s is still in its infancy.  The Lyran Guards are only just beginning to expand and it will be three years at least before the Royal, Arcturan, and Donegal Guards begin to build up.  I need to speak with Davion, face to face.  See that is arranged as soon as possible.”

Simon Johnson stood and bowed to his Archon “I will see to it immediately.  There is one other thing you should know of as well Archon.”

“What else Simon?”  She had had enough bad news from the head of the Lyran Intelligence Corps for one day.

“Morgan Kell has returned to the Kell Hounds.  It appears the news of Yorinaga’s appointment as Gunji-no-Kanrei has brought Kell out of the monastery on Zaniah.”

“Morgan has returned?”  Katrina’s heart skittered as she thought of her old friend back from his self imposed and strange exile.  Don’t you do anything rash Morgan.

“He appears to be reforming the Kell Hounds into their former regimental size.  I have it on good authority that he plans a reckoning with Yorinaga.”

Katrina stood “I will compose a message to Morgan straight away.  I need him here so I can explain the situation to him and reign him in if necessary.  I cannot have one of my mercenaries starting a blood feud with the commander of the DCMS.”

Johnson, his face still the impassive mask it always was, collected up the folders.  “If you compose it now, I will see it goes out with my message to Quintus Allard within the hour.”

“In a moment Simon,” she responded, walking across the room to the large windows, which provided a view across the Triad and then to the ordered streets of Tharkad City beyond.  “I think it is time we shook the order up ourselves some more. We cannot rest on our laurels and hope the alliance with House Davion will save us from all our ills.”  She paused.  “What does the LIC need to protect the realm.”

Simon smiled, “You could double my budget.”

Katrina chuckled, “If only I could.  I can cut you a 15% increase in funding however, if you behave that is.”

Simon bowed, then straightened, “That sort of funding increase would allow me to let the LIC off the hook. We are a better intelligence organisation than those of the other realms, and with those resources, we would be able to get rather creative in how we gather intelligence and cause issues for our foes.”

“I’ll see that it happens then.  I aslo have plans to raise new regiments, to garner the loyalty of both Skye and Tamar, but I also have other ideas for new regiments.  They may upset the more conservative elements of the LCAF, however, we will need new ways of thinking on the battlefield.”

“We will have to move carefully Archon.”

“Yes we will, but with the competing needs across the realm, I can’t see us raising more than three or four new regiments a year, which will lessen the blow.  We may have to turn to the mercenary market, short term fix though it is.”

Simon nodded to himself “It could well be.  The effects of the Minimums Movement on Galatea has seen a swathe of new large mercenary commands form from the amalgamation of smaller outfits.  Most are clamouring for contracts, driving prices down. With the  Commonwealth’s access to larger volumes of cash than our rivals, we may be able to close the gap, or even surpass our rivals in numbers of regiments.”

Katrina clasped her hands behind her back “True Simon, very true.  I might even tap into the Steiner family reserves to assist with the hiring we need.  A dozen new regiments in the right places will force our enemies to think twice about rash actions against the Lyran Commonwealth in the short term, and provide us with the time to bring the might of Lyran industry to bear on the problem of strengthening the line formations.”  She looked back to her intelligence chief “Start a rapid investigation into which units will be most useful to as, and get me a plan on how you will use the new funding, we have little time to waste in reeling in the lead our foes have on us.”

Simon bowed again, deeply this time, “As you wish.”

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 14 April 2018, 03:14:52 »
en-mass hiring of Mercs and a build up but thanks to the stockpiles being given out by ComStar the Kapteyn forces can build up far quicker.  This is gonna be painful for all involved none the less.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #24 on: 14 April 2018, 21:29:41 »
Chapter 13

Avalon City, New Avalon,
Crucis March, Federated Suns
23 November, 3022.

Hanse Davion looked worried, due to the fact that his Intelligence Secretary, Quintus Allard, looked worried as well.  “You are trying to tell me Quintus, that we have a leak in the MIIO that has led to the virtual elimination of our ability to manipulate the Free Worlds League at the same time as both the League and Combine rearrange their power structure and the Capellans his us with that bastard McCarron?”

Quintus Allard, his large frame blocking most of Hanse’s view out of the far window of the hover limousine, turned his body to face the Prince and replied.  “Yes my Prince.  It would appear the SAFE have pulled of a miracle operation and crippled our network.  I believe that their operation was partly responsible for the success of the overall plan Marik had for his new regiments.  I have an investigation underway to find the leak but so far nothing has turned up.”

Hanse lent back and closed his eyes, I did not expect my enemies to act so quickly to my alliance with the Lyrans.  I cannot afford a war yet, the Lyrans are too unprepared.  “This has Katrina worried no doubt?”

“It does, she has requested a face to face meeting.”

“Arrange it then.  What else.”

“McCarron is in line to hit Goshen, Emerson, Smolensk, and Beten Kaitos in the next month.”

Hanse opened his eyes and smiled.  “The Heavy Guards are on Kaitos.  That should be a rude surprise for Mr.  McCarron.”

“I trust it will be.  More importantly the Capellans may be trying to form new units as well but the Intelligence is fragmentary and I should know more in a month.”

Hanse looked out the window at the traffic speeding the other way “That’s all we need right now to cause problems on the Capellan front, that along with the possible loss of Michael.”  Hanse’s treacherous half-brother, Michael Hasek-Davion, had fallen ill with an unbefore encountered virus after visiting the world of Sirdar.  The loss of Michael would remove Hanse’s biggest internal threat but would also effect operations against the Capellans.  Michael had also betrayed the Federated Suns by giving information to the Confederation.  To counter this, Hanse had been using Michael as a conduit for false information, information that had cost the Confederation dearly on several occasions.

“His condition is still failing; the doctors believe he has a month at most.”

Hanse still looking outside asked “What of Morgan?  Can we really trust him?”

Quintus thought for a few moments before answering.  “Yes, I believe we can, and we have little choice but to install him as the leader of the Capellan March.”

“True.”  Hanse nodded.  “Make arrangements for a command circuit to get Morgan to New Syrtis.  He has the right to be with his father in his last days.  Send Arden along as my personal envoy to keep an eye on things as well.”

“I will see to it today.  This also means that Justin’s planned operation may be a no go.  Without Michael’s continuing false intelligence, the chance for success is limited.”

“I agree and I do not wish to loose your son on a fool’s errand.  There is another use for Justin.”

Quintus looked at Hanse quizzically, caught of guard, something that happened rarely.  “What do you have in mind?”

“If Michael dies and Morgan becomes head of the Capellan March, he will need an experienced and respected aide who also has access too, and experience evaluating, critical intelligence data.  I think Justin would be perfectly suited to such a task.”

“He is a little junior in rank for that, don’t you think?”

Hanse laughed.  “From anyone else Quintus, I would think they were fishing for a promotion for their son.  But you are right, we best make him a Colonel, anything less would be improper.”

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #25 on: 15 April 2018, 01:36:15 »
Chapter 14

Sandhurst Military Academy,
England, Terra,
25 November, 3022. 

Precentor Martial Hamilton, he would use that rank today, was about to meet a man he was informed was called Precentor Naval Grahame Neville.  What the hell is Precentor Naval and why am I only learning of his existence now?  Precentor Waterly sat serene and unreadable at the head of the short mahogany conference table.  Wooden boards detailing the winners of various prizes at Sandhurst over the years decorated the room, and the glass shelves arranged between them held a myriad of trophies and shields, some dating back over a millennia.

Sitting to the Precentors right, with Pat on his left, he watched as the door at the far end of the room opened, admitting a short, stocky looking man, whose full beard hid part of the pallor associated with long periods in space.  Both the bearded man, who the Precentor Martial assumed was the Precentor Naval, and his aide, a young well-groomed officer, who seemed just a little too bright eyed, were dressed in standard ComGuard robes, in contrast to the field fatigues both he and Pat wore.

Precentor Dieron stood, as did the two officers with her as she began introductions.  “Precentor Martial Angus Hamilton and Precentor Patrick Millray, may I present Precentor Naval Neville Grahame and Precentor Julia Brighton.  All four saluted each other and handshakes were exchanged all round as Myndo continued.  “Please, will you all be seated?”

The Precentor Martial and his aide took their seats to the right of Myndo with the two naval officers seating themselves to her left, Precentor Naval opposite the Precentor Marital.  “I have asked you both here to brief each other and myself, regarding your ongoing operations to meet the requirements we agreed upon for ComStar’s participation in the alliance.  You will each find the briefing documents the other provided in the folders before you.”

The Precentor Martial looked down at the folder before him emblazoned with the ComStar logo and opened it, much as Precentor Grahame and the two aides were doing.  All four officers read, stopped, and looked hard at their opposite number.

Precentor Naval spoke first, “Quite a force you are assembling Precentor Hamilton.  I had no idea we held this amount of material.”
   Angus looked across at his colleague “And I had no idea that ComStar maintained a fleet of eighty Warships.”

Precentor Grahame answered with a wry smile.  “Hardly Precentor.  Of that list, only twelve are operational and most of those are just Destroyers and Frigates.  The rest are either in mothballs or orbiting various systems, with some little more than floating wrecks.  Hell, nearly a dozen of the floaters are simply support ships; no more than jump capable yard ships.  What you see there is potential, not actual strength.”

Hamilton nodded.  “Just like our figures.”

Pat spoke up “But our figures can’t melt a planet.  I must admit Precentor, that your idea that the ships you have in commission are just Destroyers and Frigates, makes me a little nervous.”

Precentor Brighton spoke up.  “No need to worry Precentor Millray, we do have one Battlecrusier operational.”  Pat blanched at that.

Myndo spoke up.  “Now that we are all acquainted, should we begin our discussions?”  Receiving their assent Myndo continued “Precentor Martial, please outline your plans for the support of the three allied states and the progress of the new ComGuards.”

The Precentor Martial began “Certainly Precentor.  As you are aware, we have begun the opening of the old SLDF storehouses and begun the stripping out of advanced technologies from units designated for the House Lords.  Currently, we have three teams assigned to ensure that nothing slips through.  The first team strips out the machines and backfits current House technology.  The second team goes over the work of the first looking for missed items, and the third team does the same for the second’s work.  Of the nearly six hundred Mechs so far backfitted, only seven have had high technology items remaining by stage three.  The first shipments of materials will begin in January, allowing the allied forces to begin equipping their new units, in addition to stockpiling additional supplies, from their own and our sources.  As Precentor Millray is in charge of the reorganisation and training of the new ComGuards, he is best equipped to brief us on that area.  Suffice to say, his progress so far has been extraordinary.”

Precentor Waterly looked up before Pat could speak.  “How sure are you Precentor Martial that no advanced technology is being passed on?”

Hamilton decided to play honest.  “Sure Precentor Dieron.  I am not sure.  In fact, small items of advanced technology are probably making it through.  Nothing major, but advanced circuit boards, the likes of which the second and third teams pick up and other such items have probably slipped through.”

Myndo’s face darkened “You are telling me Precentor Martial that high technology items are being sent to the House Armies.”

“Yes.  But nothing of real value.”

“This is unsatisfactory.  I did not appoint you to provide unsatisfactory outcomes.”

Hamilton looked Waterly straight in the eye.  “I did not accept this position in the belief that I would be expected to perform miracles.”

Precentor Waterly’s voice dropped into ice “What miracle?  You were directed to ensure that no technology of value would be passed to the House Lords.”

The Precentor Martial allowed his voice to rise.  “If you wish to ensure that every last little scrap of technology is accounted for you best either countermand your plans to assist the Houses, or provide me with ten times the manpower you have so far.  My people are working harder than I can ask and leaving less behind than I thought possible.  What would you have us do?”

Precentor Waterly appeared about to answer back but then stoped.  “I am sorry Precentor Martial.  My training at times skews my perspectives.”

The Precentor Martial knew an olive branch when he saw one.  “As has mine Precentor Dieron.  There is nothing to apologise for.  We all work for the future.”

Myndo’s face softened, “How true your words Precentor.”

Precentor Waterly seemed to think for a moment and then looked at Pat.  “If you would be so kind Precentor to apprise us of your efforts?”

Pat bowed his head “Certainly Precentor.”  He paused to gather himself.  “When we were instructed to take over the enlargement of the ComGuards, we were faced with a dilemma.  Many of these formations will end up masquerading as mercenaries, units that invariably use the standard Lance, Company, Battalion, and Regiment style of organisation.  The ComGuards, as you know, have been experimenting with a formation that relies on multiples of 6.  Not the standard four, three, three, three, etcetera.  We decided early on, that having our troops trained in the six-format and then trying to masquerade on the standard format, in addition to using a different ranking system, would not work.  For expediency, operational security, and the need to maximise our force’s potential, we have dropped the experiment with the six-format, despite its merits, and gone with standard organisation using integrated Brigade Groups as our main, line formations.”

Precentor Naval looked up.  “Brigade Groups?”

Pat continued.  “Yes Precentor, Brigade Groups.  Each consists of a BattleMech Regiment and a combined armour/infantry Brigade, all supported by an Aerospace Wing.  This allows us to maximise the ComGuards familiarity with combined arms tactics as well as ensure our troops can pass themselves off as standard Merc’s should the need arise.”

Myndo spoke again.  “Can’t you train them in both?”

“If I had six years instead of two, maybe.  But considering how fast the new soldiers need to go through our training program to meet targets, there is no way humanly possible to do so.  It would just create confusion and derail the entire program.”

Myndo looked to Hamilton.  “You agree with this assessment Precentor Martial?”

Hamilton nodded.  “Yes Precentor, wholeheartedly.”

Myndo seemed to accept, although there was visible tension in the way she sat.  “How are the line forces coming then?”

Pat continued.  “The eight existing ComStar Divisions have been restructured into five of the new Brigade Groups numbered 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 9th and 11th.  This way we maintain the ComGuards unit ordering system.  Over the next two years, we will have to form another twenty one Brigade Groups to meet the required targets.  To do so, we have re-opened the old SLDF training centres at Fort Lejune, Duntroon, Frunze, and the Ecole Militare, in addition to expanding Sandhurst to full operational capability.  These facilities will provide us with the space we need for training, as the incentives program you authorised Precentor is working miracles for recruiting.  It remains to be seen what sort of soldiers we can produce.  We have the best we could gather from ComStar hired mercenaries, targeted hiring from the Successor States, and other places such as Galatea for training staff, but this remains a crash program and there will be shortfalls, no matter what we do, given the limited time available.”

Myndo flipped a page in her briefing documents.  “This all seems to meet requirements, but what of ComStar teachings?  You mention none of the standard instructions acolytes go through?”

Pat braced himself for the coming blast.  “We are unable to effectively include the standard ComStar indoc…I mean, ComStar required basic awareness training.  We simply don’t have the time.”

Myndo’s voice took on a dangerous edge.  “You will find the time Precentor, it is not an option.”

Before Pat could answer, the Precentor Martial spoke up, saving his old friend the need to face down the powerful Precentor.  “Precentor Waterly, if you wish us to institute the full acolyte training program, we can.  You will have to make a decision though.  You can either have troops who can quote Blake’s Word and be annihilated in their first engagement, or you can have an army that will protect Terra and ensure the success of our allies and can be fully trained following the war.”

Myndo looked ready to explode, but Precentor Naval interjected.  “Precentor Waterly, I must agree with my colleague.  We are experiencing the same issues in our training programs at Annapolis, Kure, and Titan.  We only have time to do one or the other, not both.  You must forgive us; we are military men and look at problems in a practical and mundane way.  We have no wish to send our young soldiers and sailors to their deaths, so we have chosen to give them the skills to survive, so that they may later have the time to fully appreciate the True Word of Blake.”

The Precentor Martial breathed a deep sigh of relief at the Naval man’s ability to speak ComStar to ComStar.  I owe you and your silver tongue a debt for pulling us out of that one.

Precentor Waterly, seeing the military minds at the table in unison, bowed her head.  “I accept your advice; I merely wish to ensure our soldiers are prepared spiritually as well as physically.  Please draw up plans for their proper training and for its implementation once the troops other duties are complete.”

The Precentor Naval smiled.  “Certainly Precentor, I am sure our aides can have something drawn up for your perusal next week.”  Both Pat and Brighton both seemed to deflate a little at Neville’s comment.

Myndo seem placated by the Precentor’s comment and decided to continue.  “If you would be so kind as to illuminate us of your own progress, Precentor Naval.”

Neville bowed his head slightly.  “Yes Precentor.  As the briefing documents show, ComStar has maintained a fleet of one Battlecrusier, our flagship, the Invisible Truth, two cruisers, six destroyers, and three corvettes.  These ships will continue to form the core of our fleet.  Currently six are in various positions within the Terran system, organised in two squadrons of three ships, with the other two squadrons at Ross and Lyuten.”

Angus looked up from his notes.  “Ross and Lyuten?”

The Naval officer nodded.  “Yes Precentor Martial, Ross and Lyuten.  Both are uninhabited star systems within a jump of Terra.  Both have active fleet facilities hidden in out of the way places.  As you have directed, we are pulling out of mothballs a host of Drop- and JumpShips with the assistance of the Belters and their yards.  The task of bringing thirty transport groups on line will be tough in the time remaining, but we will get very close.  What we can’t reactivate we will take from the large ComStar merchant fleet.  Precentor Martial, these assets will first assist in the supply of the allied powers and then be available for use with your new formations.”

Hamilton felt some relief “Thankyou Precentor Naval, I was wondering where I would find sufficient transport assets.”

“You’re welcome Precentor Martial.  Our other effort is the reactivation of Warship assets.  We can realistically bring online anything up to twenty more warships using the Ross, Lyuten and Titan yards over the two years we have by focusing on those in the best state of repair.  This will give us an additional one Battleship, one Battlecrusier, five Cruisers, eight Destroyers and five Corvettes.  We can also activate two mobile repair yards as well.  Other ships can come online after that, but will not be ready for operational requirements by 3025.”

Pat looked shocked.  “Sweet Lord!  You’re telling me you can have a fleet of over thirty warships in two years and you are giving apologies.  Nothing could get near this planet with that armada floating about.”

The Precentor Naval nodded.  “So the theory goes.”

An acolyte entered the room, bowed and whispered into Waterly’s ear.  “Very well.  I must leave, something has come up that requires my attention.  Thankyou all, we will meet again soon.”

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 15 April 2018, 03:58:02 »
Mynodo really is a ticking bomb and really is as dangerous as someone like Stalin, she dislikes you, you disagree with her, off to gula...reeducation for you if you're lucky, if not, dragged out back and shot by ROM. 

The three Military Precentors are doing the right thing in presenting a united front to her, tempering her explosive temper, almost blinding faith and aggression with cold, hard facts.  In a way it kind of reminds me of King Phillip II of Spain.  During the Armada the deeply religious Phillip often simply chose to rely on God to provide for shortcomings and to overcome problems that were faced during the build up.  It took his most senior Naval commander (The Marquis of Santa Cruz) to pick up the guts to say that "God will tire of working miracles for us and as He works through men, we should use the tools He has given us."

Hanse and co are trying to prepare for the storm too, but it won't count for much if Comstar break out their fleet in support of their Useful Idiot..I mean allies.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2018, 04:11:33 by marauder648 »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #27 on: 15 April 2018, 04:00:29 »
I think you touched on nearly every period of history there.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 15 April 2018, 04:03:42 »
I think you touched on nearly every period of history there.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #29 on: 18 April 2018, 03:11:47 »
Chapter 15

Kell Hounds Compound, Arc-Royal,
District of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth,
17 February, 3023.

Morgan Kell summarised what had been decided “As long as you’re happy with this arrangement Patrick?”  His brother nodded.  “OK then, Pat and I will take combined command as we did before.  Pat will be lead at first until I can get back up to speed.  Salome has First Battalion, Scott, you and your Bravos become Second Battalion, and Third Battalion goes to Dan Allard.  I’m still not sure Dan is up to it though.  Battalion command’s a big jump.”

Salome, still looking somewhat dazed by the return of Morgan, as they all were after his self-imposed exile which saw the reduction of the Kell Hounds to one Battalion, answered.  “Dan held the Battalion together when you left and we all lost our way.  Dan managed that feat straight out of the academy and has had a lot of time to fine-tune his skills.  If I trust anyone with this it’s Dan.”

Salome’s double meaning did not go unnoticed as Morgan replied.  “OK, if you guys are happy so am I.  We need to get the various groups we have working as a unit, and we need to get out in the field for extended training operations so we can all get familiar with each other again.  Hopefully, I’ll be back from Tharkad in time to take part; I need it as much as any of us.  Still, when the Archon calls you have front up.”

Cat, quiet as ever smiled at Morgan.  “Hope you enjoy the slap on the wrist.”

“More like the leash she will put on you.”  Said Patrick.  “There’s not a chance in the world that Katrina is going to let you go crashing off through the universe after Yorinaga Kurita; especially now that he’s the CO of the DCMS.”

Morgan leant back in his chair and played with a rogue hair that stuck out of his still somewhat shaggy beard.  “You’re probably right Patrick, but the fact remains that Yorinaga and I will be drawn to each other, no matter what anyone else tries to do.”

Salome looked at Morgan with a mix of hope and despair in her eyes.  “You might have to stay chained to the regiment for awhile then?”

Morgan seemed to become distant.  “I suppose I will.  No doubt this ever extending period of relative quite will just precede a new round of fighting.  What is there on the contract front?”

“That’s what I think Katrina wants to talk to you about.  Rumour mill is that Katrina wants to send us to Hesperus.”  Answered Scott Bradley.

Cat groaned.  “Not that dump.  I don’t care what anyone says about the place.  It’s too dry to be comfortable and has too few people to be any fun.  Add in the fact that every man and his Mech wants a piece of the place and I’m more than happy to stay here and wet nurse cadets.”

Everyone had a good laugh until Patrick commented.  “Could be what we need to bring the regiment back together.  Besides, if we can get on the good side of Defiance, we could get our hands on all sorts of fun toys.”

Salome looked across at Patrick from her prone position on the couch under the window.  “Just what we need - a regiment full of assault Mechs so we can look like proper Lyrans.  Maybe Katrina is planning on making Morgan a Social General?”

Cat, with a straight face added, “We will have to clean him up first.  They wouldn’t even let him into a Tharkad slum looking like that at the moment.”

Register