Author Topic: point defense system  (Read 2202 times)

EdgeCrusher

• Private
point defense system
« on: 21 May 2011, 11:43:55 »
PDS: Any friendly figure in base contact with this unit may use this unit's unmodified defense value instead of its own.

Do the friendly units still get their own bonuses from pilots, gear, or terrain?

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
Re: point defense system
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2011, 17:17:21 »
Yes.

The PDS unit only shares the printed value on it's dial.  It is a replacement value and any modifiers that apply normally to the targeted unit will be attached to the unit gaining the new defense value. 

It's real simple, the RotS RHDM Peacekeeper can hide behind any number of mechs, tanks and infantry, and every unit touching the big monster can benefit from it's 24DV.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

EdgeCrusher

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2011, 17:26:06 »
peacekeeper is what made me ask. =) too bad i dont have it ;)

thanks GC

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2011, 00:55:22 »
I was given an Understanding that;...  as a for instance,
If I had a unit with point defense(let's say "Peacemaker", 23 def) and I had "X" amount of units (ie. infantry-- which also have Point Defense) one in base with the Mech the next in base with that infantry and the third in base with the second infantry... daisy chained, like so... Oooo
 the question I ask (this is how it was explained to me) that because all have Point Defense, and even if I added a non-Point Defense unit to the chain ie. Oooo0  all could share the 23 defense of the "Peacemaker"
anyone have any support or disagreement to this?

POINT DEFENSE SYSTEM (optional) Any friendly figure in base contact with this unit may use this unit’s unmodified defense value instead of its own
I guess the question is... Is it modifying the "defense value"? I would have thought  yes .....
PS this was on the wizkids worum right about the time it went down.....  so if anyone has ARCHIVES feel free
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2011, 04:06:30 »
I've heard about this, although I've never done it myself.  The circumstances alone would have to be pretty specific and can change suddenly with just one click of involuntary damage (such as a crit miss). 

The justification is that Point Defense is a Replacement, not a Modification.  So it happens that the little infantry gets Peacemaker's defense value and passes it on to the next adjacent unit.  I tend to be more literal minded and see that the ability says nothing about sharing a defense value not printed on it's dial.

this unit’s unmodified defense value

The above phrase seems to be unambiguous to me, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that can argue against it.

Even with the "daisy chain of defense", it's still easy enough to deal with.  For one thing you can set up a ranged formation attack group that can sit just out of reach of the longest range of the large clump of PDUs.  This is also why we have Artillery in the game, just to annoy armies that want to sit on their Defense in Hindering. 

And ... if the PDUs insist on camping in the woods, it means they are not doing much to claim VC3 or prevent it.  So, just run to their deployment zone and dance in it for a while, it's one way of winning without ever attacking an opposing unit.  Another way is VC2, Controlling the Battlefield is all about the total point value of the active units running around on it.  Units inside transports and all the Pride and Alliance cards do not count for VC2. 

btw ... I often forget whether the RotS Malice is named "Peacekeeper" or "Peacemaker" but we are talking about the same obnoxious mech.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2011, 15:25:43 »
Actually, I hadn't noticed the "peacekeeper / Peacemaker " thing till you mentioned it ....   Lol
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

Register