Author Topic: The New Free Worlds League: Thread Title Deadlocked in Committee  (Read 145556 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: The New Free Worlds League: Thread Title Deadlocked in Committee
« Reply #150 on: 10 January 2019, 16:20:19 »
Yeah, you can flavor it as much as you want . . .

For instance, one that I do not think shows up in ER/FM3145 would be the Senate Alliance, which I think became the Augustine Alliance that joined the neo FWL.  They are however in TP Irian, roll on the A list and are rated B equipment . . . 25% of the slots when rolling for mechs have a chance to get a IndiMech (2/3/4, so the % chance is smaller) but the lists have mechs like the Havoc P6, Black Hawk (Std), Lament 2R, Tundra Wolf 4 or Mad Cat Mk II-E (nice nice roll IMO).  Armor is the Marsden II (-A?), Kinnol MBT, Condor, Bellona, Donar VTOL, DI Morgan, and Marksmen for example.  The BA options a bit more limited but they exist too.

They were still independent in 3136, but I think by 3140 they had folded into the League.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #151 on: 16 January 2019, 20:49:11 »
Heh, I would be happy to use an Orion-1M in the Republic/Dark Age Era. It's my favorite Marik design after the Awesome-9M, as the newer ones with Gauss Rifles and the extended range LRM don't feel quite right.

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #152 on: 25 January 2019, 23:17:46 »
I'm liking the 9M Quickdraw, finally doesn't suck.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #153 on: 26 January 2019, 17:37:16 »
It's a surprisingly good 'Mech, given that it's, well, a Quickdraw. I can live with the XL engine in exchange for the whole not sucking bit.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #154 on: 28 January 2019, 01:23:55 »
The 8K isn't bad either, since it moves the design into a medium range brawler.  The biggest issue with the Quickdraw is that they put two of the lasers in the rear. If you're not using quirks, then those lasers become much less useful. I would have rather seem them put all 4 mediums to the front along with the SRM-4 (ala the new Battletech game), and use the hyper extending actuator quirk for rear shots.

The Quickdraw would be an easy fix with Endo Steel and Light or Heavy Ferro.  Tap in some extra armor, upgrade all the lasers forward with ER variants, and upgrade the SRM 4 to a Streak.  Switch to DHS along with the LRM 10 using Artemis, and you're set. The 5m refit adds in an ECM suite, a targeting computer, makes the lasers ER but keeps the two forward/two rear, and drops the one shot SRM.  What you have is an expensive mobile interdictor with almost no firepower to act as a harasser or even a fire lance guard.  I'll take the Anvil over that thing any day, or all of the awesome Ostol/Ostroc/Ostwar variants that came out during and after the Jihad. The Regulan upgraded Ostwar is pretty slick.

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #155 on: 08 February 2019, 10:04:51 »
So, they're not truly published yet but we got the stats to our TMP-4M and BLR-6M over in this 'fan design' thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=64297.0

I like the Tempest. As a refit of an older chassis, it makes a lot of sense. Yes, one could optimize it into a 5/8 machine instead of a 4/6/5 pretty easily in game stats... but this is a rework of a chassis that wasn't 5/8 when it was designed, so less efficient improvements fit quite well.

What we get is still pretty good. It solves the Tempest's problem of reliably engaging enemies beyond 6 hexes, and fixes the armor distribution flaws in the original. In classic boardgame, this is a clear upgrade that makes the Tempest a viable 'main heavy' and I hope this becomes one of the chassis' main production models.

It's technically worse than the TMP-3M in Alpha Strike based on my quick, unofficial conversions (I calculate the damage brackets of 4/4/2 instead of 5/5/2), but that's with what will most likely be Overheat 1 to make up the difference and an accompanying PV reduction to free up a few points for other units in your force.

The BLR-6M is fantastic. It's a durable command platform with significant firepower. I'd personally prefer longer engagement range, but 4/6/0 with an engagement range of 18 hexes in boardgame is by no means bad.

I haven't done full conversions for Alpha Strike, but it should be even better there (I estimate 4/5/3 damage brackets, plus command equipment giving it whatever abilities that offers).

In any event, both of these designs do a good job of bringing these outdated but mainstay FWL machines into fighting-fit for 3132+ play. I'm glad to see them.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #156 on: 08 February 2019, 10:41:23 »
Yeah, the Tempest gives in to my first post-3070 impulse . . . every time I see a IS Large Pulse I want to rip it out for a Snub and DHS/Armor/Ammo.  Not sure it helps when fighting the Wolf Empire since while it does gain some tactical mobility with the IJJ, not having more than 2 weapons that reach past 10 hexes is a bit of a problem.  Then again, its not 3050 where every time you see a Clan machine its a Omni so its not as drastic a disadvantage since it does have more mobility than before.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #157 on: 08 February 2019, 11:18:08 »
And the TMP-4M is Andurien...
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #158 on: 08 February 2019, 11:21:15 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #159 on: 08 February 2019, 11:30:19 »
Heh, I don’t think that part is canon (yet?). So ignore it as you like :).

Irian on Irian was shut down by the Republic. It was the Tempest factory. I had Shiro III start building it (as the TMP-4M). MadCap has somebody else build the Tempest C,  Angel II.  So perhaps the TMP-4M was at both before the Clans took Angel II.  That would give "standard" FWL the TMP-4M from Angel II before the Clan Protectorate, Andurien the TMP-4M from Shiro III, and the Clan Protectorate the Tempest C (and the Guillotine IIC).
« Last Edit: 08 February 2019, 11:39:59 by nckestrel »
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #160 on: 08 February 2019, 11:54:25 »
did i not read somewhere that the nuFWL had reactivated the irian plant? there was the marauder II plant mentioned in ED: Dark Age but i could have sworn that they had resumed production on Irian. The Inquisitor II from TRO: 3150 is produced on Irian but I thought I saw something more... substantial 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #161 on: 08 February 2019, 12:08:06 »
The BLR-6M and TMP-4M were intended to be older than the reactivation of Irian.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #162 on: 08 February 2019, 12:47:23 »
IMO, the -4M could have been a upgrade kit to the old Tempests.  Like I said, yanking the LPL for Snubs every time is something I have to resist.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #163 on: 08 February 2019, 12:50:00 »
The BLR-6M and TMP-4M were intended to be older than the reactivation of Irian.

that makes sense. i also was checking if my memory was faulty or not on the irian reactivation

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #164 on: 08 February 2019, 12:50:27 »
IMO, the -4M could have been a upgrade kit to the old Tempests.  Like I said, yanking the LPL for Snubs every time is something I have to resist.

Then there wouldn't have been a factory for the sea foxes to build tempests from.  And Andurien wouldn't have a Tempest factory.  I mean, if you don't want factories... :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #165 on: 08 February 2019, 12:57:19 »
Knew I should have used a few more words . . .

I could see it being a Jihad-era field refit kit . . . and then someone goes- "Hey this thing really does work, we should build them this way."  As part of the MSC, Oriente or Tamarind's rebuilding of their proto-state forces.  Actually, if it was Andurien then Oriente makes some sense since IIRC they were allied for some border clashes with Daoshen was occupied with the Republic.

Hmm, maybe Jessica's wedding present from Phillip Hughes was a dismantled mech factory from Irian . . .
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #166 on: 08 February 2019, 13:49:28 »
Knew I should have used a few more words . . .

I could see it being a Jihad-era field refit kit . . . and then someone goes- "Hey this thing really does work, we should build them this way."  As part of the MSC, Oriente or Tamarind's rebuilding of their proto-state forces.  Actually, if it was Andurien then Oriente makes some sense since IIRC they were allied for some border clashes with Daoshen was occupied with the Republic.

Hmm, maybe Jessica's wedding present from Phillip Hughes was a dismantled mech factory from Irian . . .

Only she forgot the allen wrenches back at Ikea and it took a bit to figure it all out....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #167 on: 08 February 2019, 14:04:21 »
Well that Metric vs Imperial will get you every time.
Colt Ward

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #168 on: 08 February 2019, 17:22:43 »
The TMP-4M is lovely. I can't wait to mess around with it myself.

I'd still love to see the Tempest C, of course

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #169 on: 08 February 2019, 17:52:37 »
Do we even know anything about it?
Colt Ward

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #170 on: 08 February 2019, 20:10:55 »
Nothing beyond what the TRO gives us, which is not to say much. Trying to figure it out of course hits the big question of what Tempest variant it's based on to start with

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #171 on: 08 February 2019, 20:31:46 »
The Tempests were designed independently by different people. So the C is defiantly not based on the 4M.  Doesnt the TR entry say the C was based on the 3M?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #172 on: 08 February 2019, 22:06:55 »
Oh, not saying you guys looked at each other's sheet . . . more that the Cat/Fox team looked at the 4M in their hands and said- What if we do this . . ?
Colt Ward

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #173 on: 08 February 2019, 23:50:56 »
Yeah, the Tempest gives in to my first post-3070 impulse . . . every time I see a IS Large Pulse I want to rip it out for a Snub and DHS/Armor/Ammo. Not sure it helps when fighting the Wolf Empire since while it does gain some tactical mobility with the IJJ, not having more than 2 weapons that reach past 10 hexes is a bit of a problem.

Still better than it was. Way better. In CBT, the TMP-3M gets clowned on by the 12x ERML Black Hawk-KU... actual clantech just tears it apart and it's not even a contest. The -3M's inability to accurately engage beyond 6 hexes against faster opponents is a huge problem. Yes, it has the Gauss for 7+ hexes... but a single weapon is not enough, even if it's arguably the best weapon in the game.

The TMP-4M can at least try to keep up in CBT. It's still at a notable disadvantage, but I won't call it a hopeless fight. It really is a big improvement upon the -3M in CBT play. At 7-9 hexes, it's significantly better than the TMP-3M. At 9 hexes it's about equal. At 11+ hexes, it's still better. Not by much, but by just enough for me to give it the nod.

Oddly, in Alpha Strike the Large Pulse Laser is straight up better than the SnubNose PPC unless you're doing some very good stuff with the saved weight.

Regardless, the TMP-4M is a great refit. I do hope the normal FWL gets it; the idea of it being Andurien-only would sting a bit.

The Tempests were designed independently by different people. So the C is defiantly not based on the 4M.  Doesnt the TR entry say the C was based on the 3M?

This is paraphrased, but the book's upgrade section talks about the Tempest as something like "When the Sea Foxes saw the Tempest, they were so impressed that all they did was replace the weaponry with clan-spec models."

...Which would leave it several tons under-weight, but still tremendously better than the original model.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #174 on: 09 February 2019, 01:14:43 »
clanspec weapons frees up 5.5 tons - 2.5 if you opt to make the 3 medium lasers pulses instead of ER.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #175 on: 09 February 2019, 01:45:27 »
Oh, not saying you guys looked at each other's sheet . . . more that the Cat/Fox team looked at the 4M in their hands and said- What if we do this . . ?

Ah, I thought you meant could you guess what the C has by guessing what variant it was based off of. So I was letting you know it wasn’t based off the 4M.  In-universe, yeah it could have been either. I haven’t looked at the C recently, so I don’t know either :$.

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #176 on: 09 February 2019, 09:10:16 »
Played around with the specs a bit... turns out you can make almost the exact same Tempest move 5/8/5. I understand why we got the 4/6/5 version from a game design and lore perspective, but damn... I sure would love to see a 'Tempest Custom' some day that makes the 5/8/5 engine a reality. It'd easily be my favorite Inner Sphere-tech machine at that point.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #177 on: 09 February 2019, 16:17:19 »
clanspec weapons frees up 5.5 tons - 2.5 if you opt to make the 3 medium lasers pulses instead of ER.

I can see it having a SSRM6 w/ammo ton of it upgraded 2 of the lasers to Pulse tech.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #178 on: 09 February 2019, 16:41:59 »
Yeah I thought about that too. It would be a good addition

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #179 on: 09 February 2019, 18:53:01 »
I am fine with the Tempest being 4/6/4 (or 5) and staying that way, you want faster go dig up a Anvil/Quickdraw or Hercules.
Colt Ward

Register