Author Topic: Generating NPCs  (Read 2225 times)

Kilderkin

• Corporal
Generating NPCs
« on: 10 August 2019, 04:05:28 »
Hello,

I keep wanting to GM an RPG. I’m still getting my head around character generation. I always get mixed up with the rebates. However I am wondering how people get around making up stats for NPCs? Please tell me I don’t have to build them like player characters. The book devotes about 3 pages to opposition.

Is there a fan made NPC monster manual resource?

Thanks,

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Generating NPCs
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2019, 05:39:49 »
I generate all my NPCs just like PCs.  Granted, I use a spreadsheet, so it goes relatively quickly.

Kilderkin

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2019, 07:11:55 »
It is an impressive Spreadsheet. And I have tried a couple of times to make a character, but I always end up breaking it somehow. But that's more my inability to work spreadsheets.

I'm thinking more on the fly if a character interacts with a character you hadn't planned.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2019, 07:15:10 »
If you post one of your broken versions, I may be able to troubleshoot it...

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2019, 10:56:14 »
ATOW has rules for making NPCs in the Gamemastering section starting on page 336. Rather than building them by XP, you build them based on the character's build.

For instance, a low level "Thug" type character, they recommend in Attributes having 10-15 points fewer than the PCs, for Traits they recommend 2-5 fewer than the PCs and they should have 2-5 fewer skills, which should be 1-2 levels below the PCs.

So if you have PCs that on average have spent 35 points on their attributes, you should assign 20-30 points to the Thug-level NPC, emphasizing the NPCs usage (so a mafia "thug" would have the same number of attribute points as a doctor "Thug" but the mafia NPC would probably focus on combat related attributes, while the doctor would have higher attributes that are linked to medical related skills.)

Traits are similar, though you probably don't need to structure them as much for low-level NPCs. Just give them something that might be useful for their intended roll. Higher level NPCs might need a bit more structure, since they might do more for the NPCs.

Skills again should focus on what the NPC does. If its going to be a fight, just give him some combat skills a the correct level (for example, Thug-level should be 1-2 points below the PCs).

So basically ATOW suggests making your NPCs based on the level of the NPC (Thug, Soldier, Savant, Boss) and the level of the PC.

For NPCs created by the Enemy trait, you may wish to get more involved in the building of them, but random mooks should be pretty simplistic and stick to what you want them to do for the party.