Author Topic: Quick and easy Camo Suggestions  (Read 1382 times)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Quick and easy Camo Suggestions
« on: 16 March 2020, 13:16:58 »
One if my New Years resolutions is to finally get some of my mini painted. Unfortunately, I find my time lacking and the suggestions on the internet to be gear to daunting (I need how many paints for this one scheme?) I just need something for the table, not a display case.

I did come across this one great video posted on the forum some time ago for a quick  6 minute Camo paint job that was just what I was looking for:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=24283.0

Planning on doing more than one camo scheme so I thought I should ask our collective here if there is any color combos and washes that come to mind Camo before I make my final run for supplies in the near future and get started.

Edit: link to Walock_Hendrix's original post added.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2020, 00:27:16 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Quick and easy Camo Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2020, 13:25:26 »
I'll point towards something Worktroll did:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=66097.msg1523746#msg1523746
Worktroll's instructions are pretty good.

I emulated the camo with reasonable results for someone very inexperienced with painting (no pics from me ATM). Was surprisingly easy to do, even though i had feared camos would be difficult. (Never gotten around doing another mini though, with some corrections.)

« Last Edit: 16 March 2020, 13:29:03 by Empyrus »

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2020, 13:57:35 »
You can do an easy digital camo with a little piece of foam/sponge ripped with an irregular surface. Dip the sponge/foam into paint that's a contrasting color to your base coat, blot it on paper until it's producing distinct patterns of paint, then dot it onto the mini in various orientations. Then do it in another color.

So for city camo, base medium gray, dot with black and white. For woods camo, base medium green, dot with brown and light green. For snow camo, base light gray, dot with white and light blue. Etc.

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2020, 14:24:04 »
I have some experience with a couple different kinds of camo that I was using for the various plastic 'Mechs I have gotten my hands on. Thought it would be nice to have a bunch of OpFor 'Mechs that I could just throw down whenever. Both make use of Army Painter quickshade--the strong tone, in this case. Don't forget to hit them with a matte varnish to bring down the gloss from the quickshade, if you go that route.

I went with a fairly similar design to Worktroll. The colors are very muted by the quickshade, which worked out well given the bright green they used to be. The 'Mechs all got brown and ivory blotches painted on next to each other, then I added a black squiggly line between the splotches to smooth the transition. Red glass and a basic metallic for the relevant areas. Bases are rimmed in a dark olive/camo green.

Similar approach with these guys. I got a rattle can of a sandy brown, Tamiya brand if I remember correctly, then gave them thin reddish-brown stripes. Tried to emulate the branching lines you see on the power armor for Night Lords chaos space marines. I went with a bright blue glass this time, but kept the same metallic color. Same finishing on the exterior of the bases.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2020, 16:17:50 »
If you can get Citadel products, you're golden. Their ink washes - what do they call them now, shades? - are the best in the game. And perfect for BT work.

You really want the Nuln Oil (black) and Agrax Earthshade (brown) inks, plus the Biel-Tan Green.

Now remember, with all inks, applying them changes the colour underneath, so plan accordingly and use paints a few shades lighter than you'd normally use. So light greens, sands, and tans are your base colours, and mid-to-darker browns and greens for your camo. Picking up some brighter colours - red, blue, bright green - for details can be fun. And of course always get black, gunmetal (aka boltgun in Citadel), and something to prime with. Now priming is down to preferences - hand, or spray, or black/grey/white - so just do what you're comfortable with. THese days I prime by hand, in light grey - it gives an even base to work off, and I enjoy the work.

For "normal" camos, the brown ink is the key. After you prime your mini, give it a base coat of light brown (sand, tan, whatever). Then apply the contrast colour. Splodges, bands, ribbons, whatever. If you feel like it, doing like Wildonion did and adding a black (or white!) contrast stripe along the edges adds contrast. Don't feel you have to do it all over - just doing the (for example) upper right sides of the contrast wotks well. Keep it thinner than the contrast area though.

I'd then recommend painting any areas you want metallic in black now. It means you can go back with the base & contrast, and clean up all the little whoopsies & ragged edges.

Then, with a big brush (1/3 inch), slather the mini with the brown ink. Like, all over. Have a cloth handy, and wipe excess ink off the cloth. Then use the brush to dab off ink pooling on the mini. This is important, as you'll end up with blotches otherwise. Let the ink pool, keep turning & dabbing, until you're happy all the pooling has been soaked up. Dabbing is better than brushing off excess ink, as you won't accidentally suck ink out of the panel lines this way.

When the ink's dry, drybrush metallic over the black areas you want to be metallic. Colour the cockpit in - metallic red, green, blue is an easy way to get a good effect for minimal effort - and Bob is your gene-father's sibkid!

Then, experiment. Light green with medium green contrast, with a green ink wash, gives you mid green with dark green, with panel lines all highlighted. Mid-green with mid-brown and black ink wash gives a darker look. Light grey with medium grey and a black ink wash gives you urban or mountain.  Lots of combos. Remember, this won't give you CSO level work. It will give you great table-ready minis you can be proud of, though!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2020, 16:24:36 »
If you can get Citadel products, you're golden. Their ink washes - what do they call them now, shades? - are the best in the game. And perfect for BT work.

You really want the Nuln Oil (black) and Agrax Earthshade (brown) inks, plus the Biel-Tan Green.
Shades, yup. And they're good. Difference between trying to make a wash and using pre-made wash is pretty big. For an amateur anyway.

I wonder, black or brown wash (assuming green is not available for whatever reason) for a camo made of a couple of shades of green and dark green/black?

Thinking about trying Finnish Defence Force camo for something, now that corona means i have to home quite a bit.
(Found an album to use as a reference https://imgur.com/r/ImagesOfThe2010s/DRBzh)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2020, 16:27:54 »
Yup, black wash for that look. Mid green, not too dark a green, and black, with the black ink wash, should do nicely! You just need to make sure that the darker green is distinguishable from the black, once the ink hits it.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2020, 17:19:12 »
I have heard Agrax Earthshade called "talent in a pot" and, in my experience, it deserves the title. Absolutely get that one onto your paint shelf.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2020, 17:51:27 »
Instead of Army Painter Strong Shade, go to your hardware store and pick up a can of Teak Stain varnish. Not "stain for teak decking", but "varnish with teak colouring added". That's basically all Strong Shade is, except they thin it.

I've used the teak stain out of the tin, and it works well. It's (obviously) thicker than wash, so brush it on remove pooling as noted. When it dries, it not only seeps into the panel lines, it pulls away from the edges, leaving a 'highlight' - look up my Wolf's Dragoon Epsilons for the effect. The only downside is it only comes in brown, and Army Painter has different colours. But do do the ink washes, which don't need a jar of turps for brush cleaning, and dry without that solvent smell.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2020, 01:26:13 »
Thanks for all the tips, guys, much appreciate it!

I made note of Walock_Hendrix's use of Devlan Mud Wash / Agrax Earthshade  (thanks for making it that much more confusing for novices, Citadel) and picked up the equivalent Vallejo's Umber Shade Wash at my flgs ( thanks to Tiny-World's Citadel=Vallejo paint color chart) but also knew I would need to use other shades for other schemes. I'll look for Nuln Oil/ Black Wash on my next visit regardless as well as the Metallic colors mentioned.   

Have a similar idea as Empyrus based on the darker NATO camo patterns, as well as a desert pattern... but first I need to get brushes. Yeah, both flgs are out of the basic brushes, go figure.

Gives me more time to study from the veteran craftsmen, all the same. I'll be sure to keep reading your sage advise until I can actually put brush to mini. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2020, 17:44:22 »
You should check cameo specs on YouTube B1flyer has some great videos on quick cameo schemes.
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2020, 12:02:02 »
Be sure to show us the end results (or even photos of your process), SteelRaven! Good luck and happy painting.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2020, 13:02:22 »
I did these a few years back:

The Camo was simple, base coat Green/Blue with Brown/Grey lines painted at random, finished with Army painter Shade/wood stain.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2020, 16:30:21 »
Great examples of how the stain or shade provides panelling, highlighting, and brings the scheme together!

Did you use the brown stain on the blue 'Mechs? Great outcome, if so!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #14 on: 19 March 2020, 08:26:12 »
I did.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Register