Author Topic: Defend the DropShip! Video battle report  (Read 3210 times)

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
Defend the DropShip! Video battle report
« on: 02 February 2013, 20:53:15 »
This was a great battle Matt and I played today and is linked to the last batrep I posted.

The year is 3028. Hanse Davion has declared that the Capellan Confederation is his wedding gift to Melissa Steiner. In support of the invasion, Lyran forces (Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust) has jumped from the Steiner world of New Earth to the Liao planet of Keid, which is only a single jump away.

In our opening battle, the Lyrans took the city of Yrirostov without a loss, forcing the Capellans to withdraw after they lost a Cyclops and had to drag a Grasshopper off the field.

Now, however, the Capellans have skirted around the Steiner defence lines and are unexpectedly attacking the Lyran drop zone! The Lyran Union-class DropShip Impediment needs time to lift off but the Lyran defenders are outgunned by the Capellan attackers!

Here is the Lyran Union-class DropShip (a converted Lego Death Star):

The Lyran defenders: four 'Mechs / 4000 BV / 180 tons
two ARC-2R Archers (4/5 pilots)
Wasp 1D (4/3 pilot average gunnery, great piloting skill)
Stinger 3G (4/5 pilot)

The Capellan attackers: four 'Mechs / 6000 BV / 295 tons / all 4/5 pilots
Awesome 8Q
Goliath 1H
Archer 2R
Catapult C1

Objectives:
* The Lyrans must hold off the attacking Liao 'Mechs for 10 turns for the DropShip to escape.
* The Capellans win if they can destroy the DropShip within 10 turns.

The Lyrans have two lights and two heavies versus two heavies and two assaults and are outweighed by 115 tons! Can they hold out? View the battle here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvd6ZNKRNRA&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: 02 February 2013, 22:45:48 by Lyran Archer »
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

MacabreDerek

• Corporal
Re: Defend the DropShip! Video battle report
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2013, 04:43:01 »
Well, the good news is Lyran's went 2-0 that day.  Just finished watching the Batrep, very good stuff.  Are you planning on doing more Batreps?  Gonna have to schedual a 'Lyran Cadet Training' Scenario to face off against your Archer lances :D

Very well done.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2013, 07:59:11 »
Well, the good news is Lyran's went 2-0 that day.  Just finished watching the Batrep, very good stuff.  Are you planning on doing more Batreps?  Gonna have to schedual a 'Lyran Cadet Training' Scenario to face off against your Archer lances :D

Very well done.

Awesome! Although, all I did was successfully escape, minus the Wasp  :'( . How many points was your battle and what were your kills and losses? I know you were playing against the Draconis Combine and I glanced over at you guys playing every once and a while but Matt's and my battle was really close and intense, so I didn't get a good look.
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion

MacabreDerek

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2013, 12:28:10 »
It was a horribly one-sided fight, because I asked to play a game style that was suppost to be quick due to our time constraints.

4000 BV a piece.  Will have to look for more game types rather than a complete wipeout in order to keep games shorter and more convenient.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2013, 14:44:45 »
...I asked to play a game style that was suppost to be quick due to our time constraints.

...Will have to look for more game types rather than a complete wipeout in order to keep games shorter and more convenient.

Once a month or every two weeks, section off a time for yourself to have a decent game of BattleTech.
The game I played with Matt took four hours, but be prepared for a five or six hour game. I have a wife and kids but I still can do this.

Once or twice a year, section off an entire day for a huge epic battle. Last year I played a company of Archers against a company of Davion mercs. It took twelve hours and we played at my house so my wife and son weren't missing me.

Don't rush BattleTech. Take the time to enjoy it. 

MacabreDerek

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2013, 14:50:47 »
There is something to be said though about the frantic nature of speeding through turns and being able to reflect on what your knee-jerk reaction to particular situations are.  Admittedly I'd like to play larger games, but sometimes I can get more out of smaller games.  Learned during the game I need to work on 1) Jump Jets, 2) Working with ranges and making a Zeus actually a threat, 3) Objective Placement based on my current mechs, 4) Find alternative ways to use under-gunned mechs, and 5) Need to open up about what sorts of objective and scenarios I can play to give some mechs I wouldnt normally touch a chance to shine.

Cambo

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2013, 20:53:45 »
<BF_Pimping>Have you guys tried BF/QuickStrike?
I've been playing more and more, and am enjoying the larger scope battles.
For the time of a regular lance on lance battle you can run a full company on company,
and for the time of a company on company you can run a full battalion vs battalion game.  (ie. in the linked scenario we had a decisive outcome in 5.5 hours) 
</BF_Pimping> O0

There are a few gotcha's but the added scope and slight changes in the dynamics of the game completely revamp the game for me (lights are lethal in BF, instead of just rolling out the bigger and bigger guns, and artillery calls make for really interesting games where you're planning 2-5 moves in advance).

Register