Author Topic: DCMS Vs AFFS 3144  (Read 2486 times)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
DCMS Vs AFFS 3144
« on: 02 January 2014, 12:41:45 »
So having been thoroughly spanked by Brian I decided to take the tanker unit out again. I fared a tad better this game.

McComb
Draconis March, Federated Suns

The flank is collapsing! Dracs are overrunning our lines and we can't hold them off any more.  A salient force is closing in on your forward resupply point.  It's time to leave.  Before we can fall back, we need to destroy the base computers to prevent any sensitive information from falling into enemy hands.  Your company needs to buy us enough time to finish the job.

Table Setup

The table should be 2x2, gentle hills with occasional forests.  A paved area near the defender's edge represents the forward resupply point.  place 6 light-medium buildings, no more than 2 hexes and 2 levels in size.  2 of these, selected at random are the base offices and should have an infantry platoon deployed in them.

Deployment

The Attacker moves on from their home edge. 

Defender tanks deploy within 3 hexes of the base.  Infantry deploys up to the halfway line.  Mechs may enter from their home edge during the movement phase of any turn.

Special Rules

During the end phase of each turn that the Davion infantry is in an office building with no enemy infantntry present, the Davion player rolls a D6, adding the turn number to the result.  If the roll is equal to or better than 10, the data in that building has been destroyed.

Victory Conditions

For each Kuritan 'Mech destroyed: + 4 points
For each Kuritan vehicle destroyed: +2 points
For each Kuritan infantry unit destroyed: +1 point
For each office's data destroyed: +10 points

For each Davion 'Mech destroyed: -5 points
For each Davion vehicle destroyed: -3 points
For each Davion infantry unit destroyed: -2 points
For each office occupied by Kurita infantry at the end of the game and the data has not been destroyed: -15 points
For each office destroyed before the data has been destroyed: -5 points.

30 to 42 points: Total Davion victory
20 to 29 points Decisive Davion victory
5 to19 points: Marginal davion victory
-5 to 5 points: Draw
-35 to -6 points: Marginal Kurita victory
-59 to -36 points: Decisive Kurita victory
-60 to -98 points: Total Kurita victory

The Drac Forces
Featuring a lot of substitution.

The Davion Forces

Turn 1

[/URL][/img]

The mechs enter and close ranks with the sites defenders.
The invaders come into range and there is a brief exchange of Long range firepower that goes arwy.
The invaders main success comes in the form of their Pegasus immobilizing one of the Defenders Pegasi.
I have now placed a Ban on Lorcan using the Pegasus X.

Turn 2

The Invaders push towards the site. Blasting at anything that moves it results in a crew stunned Hetzer, and a dead Pegasus.
It does not die in Vain as it screws up the movement and stabilizer on the Mamono IFV
The Immobilized Pegasus survives the firepower coming at it.
Blade #1 fairs better this game with the LB-X wrecking the air-skirt on an invading Pegasus.
The Sentry's PPC finds the Dragons Torso from down field.

Turn 3

Blade #2 breaks right and heads into the woods for cover. The Sentry and Watchman make moves against the stalled Pegasus. But their fire is drawn by the Dragon as it crests the hill. As a reward the two smaller mechs hit it with everything they can causing the heavier mech to hit the ground. The hovertanks survive the Boots put into it as well presenting a target of opportunity for the Vonlucker  who adds its rear LRM fire into the Pegasus.
The Invaders continue to push on the base. The Infantry leave the Mamono IFV as they attempt to  get further into the fight.
The Rokurokubi has entered the base and get shot from all Quarters. Its Harden Armor absorbs the damage leaving the mech intact.
It in turn puts enough fire into the Blade who's inexperience has it kissing pavement.

Turn 4

The base in breached and the Invaders infantry are getting closer. The defensive infantry are struggling to find scour the Data files.
Starting to get into a stride the defenders pool resources to Immobilize a Joust on one side while the mechs drop the Dragon as it pushes past them. It goes down hard knocking out the warrior. Both Von Luckners take a battering in the return but remain operational.
And an  MMM from the Strikers kill the engine on Pegasus who then damages the drive system on the only Advance tech tank we have.
The lone Blade continues to flank the invaders throwing shots at the running Battle Armor as it goes.

Turn 5

Oh this game feel so much better than the last time I took out this unit.
Lorcans unloaded a heap of infantry and they are pushing along the center. His Shiro messes up a Vedtte taking minor fire back.
The downed dragon suffers a Fatal AC20 from the Hetzer chasing the Rokurokubi.
Trying to avoid the Pegasus-X the Strikers leave their positions. But the slower machine becomes its target and ends up grinding trans-axles.
Lorcan pours fire into one of the Von Luckners leaving it a wreck.
He loses both Pegasus this turn.
While the Flanking Blade removes the Rear Mamono.
And a Joust dies to the combined fire of the right flank.
Several of the BA troopers are sent to meet their ancestors as they cross the open terrain.

The Infantry luck out and manage to score a Data file.

Turn 6

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/BtechAAR/Tanks/Urban%20unit/IMG_6891_zps390a2770.jpg

Lorcans support suffers more losses as Joust and Mamono both get killed this turn.
He lucks out and sends very little firepower back from them as they go.
The Shiro stuns and Immobilizes the Hetzer.
And the firepower from the Battle Armor stun the crew of the Von Luckner.
The base defenders begin to pull back and form lines away from the buildings hoping bulk of firepower will keep them safe from the new armors protecting the mechs. The Chevaliers avoid the Laser reflective to focus on the NOVA.
I again warn my opponent about targeting the Watchman.
While the Strikers pick on the Shiro laser reflective armor with the mechs in support. It stays on its feet. But misses the Kick.
And the Panther misses with its sword.Don't mess with the Watchman. Its a rule now.

The Second Infantry squad succeed and that is pretty much game. Lorcan's taking too much damage to continue the push.
He's started to hurt me but I still have 4 active mechs and 2 lances of tanks left to pursues his remaining units from afar.

Aftermath
A nice scenario from Lorcan. And I got real lucky on the dice rolls for this. But I had an educational experience trying to put down the new tech. The Shiro  impressed me with the firepower it can take and put out a turn. Not sure why you'd take the LBX variant when this ones on offer.

Got better use out of the Blades. They are solid AC Platforms. And proved they where solid Tank hunters this game.
Will try one of the RAC variants next time I take them out.
Got a lot of use out of Precision ammo for the Tanks AC. The amount of space ammo bins on the Von Luckner & Hetzers giving 11 rounds (6 Per) to play with. Plenty for your average Btech game.

Lorcan offered the idea of Semi Guided LRMs on the Strikers with Tag infantry to help them along. I might implement that next game I play with them.
But happy enough with the Tank units performance in both games even if the first one went against me. :)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: DCMS Vs AFFS 3144
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2014, 12:20:42 »
Just to note, the Shiro had anti-ballistic armour rather than reflective (which the Mamono IFVs did carry).  But yeah, the ability to take an AC/20 and LRM clusters and laugh was amazing.  Definitely gonna use that one again.  I think I might have done a bit better if I dropped a tank or two for better pilots - I don't think I hit once from the Dragon, and missed a lot of crucial shots, which hurt me in the last game I played with 3145 tech and regular pilots.

The other big things I'm questioning is whether I should have parked the Jousts in the woods, and if I should have used the Avalanche as a BA taxi and gotten some Battlearmour into the base quicker.

For the units themselves, I was largely pleased.  The Shiro's defences are fantastic, and while the firepower is a bit anaemic, the lack of minimum ranges on the LRMs helps a lot.  The last time I tried a Rokurokubi I used the PPC and Vibroblade one, and I found the LAC/5 version a bit better for a regular pilot.  Less damage but Precision Ammo meant I hit more.  The Avalanche was a great sharpshooter, trading in volume for accuracy.  The Dragon?  Well, I just have bad luck with them, I think.  It's a solid weapon loudout but the anti-penetrative armour was not hugely useful.  I'll have to see how it does against our Tandem Charge-happy friend.

The tanks all performed well, the Joust is pretty nuts for a 40-tonner, good armour, good guns and good speed.  The Mamonos were a bit slow, and they suffered from not having a single laser fired at them, but they scored a good few hits.  The Apollo on the MRMs is very useful.  And I will flout Mark's ban on the Pegasus X-pulse at every opportunity.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2014, 07:16:55 »
And I will flout Mark's ban on the Pegasus X-pulse at every opportunity.

The Votes are in. The Pegasus X is Banned. You brought this on yourself by being so damn good with it. :)

For the units themselves, I was largely pleased.  The Shiro's defences are fantastic, and while the firepower is a bit anaemic, the lack of minimum ranges on the LRMs helps a lot. 
I honestly thought it had the best performance of the unit on your side. And that was the Armor that stopped the AC20 causing a PSR.
Stupid new toys.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2014, 08:15:10 »
let's just see if you can enforce that ban.

Or I could just go back to the 3058 pegasus and its ECCM bubble.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2014, 12:26:13 »
No problem with that one.
The X is just too nasty and effective in your hands. Where do you build that again?

Register