Author Topic: How does one tell how old a monitor is??  (Read 245 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
How does one tell how old a monitor is??
« on: 09 March 2024, 00:20:33 »
Today, after 3 weeks since my desktop (an 8+ year old Win 7 clunker) finally bit the dust, i bought a new pc, an ASUS.  BUT my OLD as heck, Microtek C783 monitor doesn't seem to recognize it, OTHER than during the initial boot up (bios area).  PAST that nothing.  The new desktop DOES support HDMI, so i am wondering, if maybe the VGA output, is too 'new tech' for my old monitor to recognize/compatible with.

So how does one go about finding out how old a monitor is?  IIRC i bought this one, when i was stationed in Downtown london, WAYYY back in 2002-03 neck of the woods..  So is that TOO old, for newer pcs??

I wonder, because when i bought it at the store (Best buy), i had it boot up IN THE STORE and do the updates, while hooked up to one of their monitors, USING the HDMI port.. 
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

punpusher

• Corporal
Re: How does one tell how old a monitor is??
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2024, 12:03:16 »
Depends on the manufacturer, but they'll often stamp the manufacture date, along with other info like the model number and all the safety/certification markings, on a sticker on the back of your monitor.

Newegg claims the C783 is from at the latest 2005, and the fact that it's VGA-only seems to corroborate that. That said, monitors are usually plug-and-play, so an HDMI-VGA adapter off Amazon (<$10 here in the States) ought to be enough. It's possible, though, that the Microtek isn't plug-and-play and so requires display drivers that new computers can't recognize.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2024, 12:42:57 »
Most peripherals need drivers, software that tells your system how to talk to them. My understanding is that in most cases, modern peripherals have the drivers stored on them or are compatible with Window's built-in, default drivers.

Usually, a manufacturer will have drivers on their website or someone else will dutifully store older drivers on their website at their own expense. I don't see that for yours, but feel free to check.

I say it's probably a driver issue because it works when it's talking to your BIOS, but not your Windows OS. That means it works, but Windows doesn't know how to talk to it. I'd say try to update your Windows. That's easier said than done without a monitor though; if you had a second monitor to do that with, you probably wouldn't need to make this monitor work.

Are you using your old hard drive in your new PC by any chance?
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2024, 17:00:26 »
Nope.  Just got home from the store with a new Asus monitor, plugged it up and i am good to go.  On one of the other sites i asked the question, someone suggested that newer pcs, even if they may have vga connectors, may be pushing out too MUCH of a resolution for my old monitor to have recognized..

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2024, 22:54:01 »
I would have suggested just going to Goodwill and getting a used-monitor in the mean-time.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2024, 00:02:10 »
Well, the new monitor works.  BUT for some screwed up reason, NOW My Wi-fi keeps telling me "Connected; no internet", AND Even directly connecting the Lan jack to my regular router, the LAPTOP is working (as i'd not be here typing otherwise), BUT the new desktop is NOT recognizing it is being connected..  ITS getting so frustrating, i am seriously just thinking taking the bloody thing back to the store for a full damn refund.
AND I STILL have no idea even AFTER doing a hard reset on my wi-fi router (got a linksys 21812 external wifi router), that ITS Now for some reason buggering up.  Even moved it a good 3 feet away from the new monitor/desktop, just to ensure there wasn't any issues with THOSE things, causing any interference...

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer