Author Topic: Questions about Gloss Coat and Dull Coat  (Read 5358 times)

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
Questions about Gloss Coat and Dull Coat
« on: 14 September 2011, 20:08:22 »
I would like to ask two separate questions:

Question #1:  What is Gloss Coat?

Question #2:  What is Dull Coat?

I've heard people using these terms, and I'm not sure what they mean.
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
Re: Questions about Gloss Coat and Dull Coat
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2011, 20:13:26 »
Gloss is shiny or "Glossy"

Dull is matte or "Dull"

Pretty self-explanatory on what it is. What they are used for is gloss is a cheap thicker seal that can have a dull coat seal on top of it to provide more protection to your paint job.

A dull finish is always preferred in any case. Sometimes I find myself leaning towards satin though.

RJM

• Sergeant
  • "How do I define honor? Success." -Vlad Ward
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2011, 20:16:18 »
I would like to ask two separate questions:

Question #1:  What is Gloss Coat?

Question #2:  What is Dull Coat?

I've heard people using these terms, and I'm not sure what they mean.

Specifically "Gloss Cote" & "Dull Cote" (as spelled that way) are the name brands of Testors varnishes.  They're pretty much exactly what you'd think they are.  Gloss varnishes will give better protection from chipping, but will leave a miniature overly shiny.  Dull Cote is a matte finish varnish, that will remove sheen when used.

Often people will do a spray of Gloss varnish to protect their paintjob on the tabletop, and then add multiple coats of Matte (dull) varnish on top of that to get rid of the shine and add farther protection.  Others will skip the gloss entirely if they don't feel it's necessary.

EDIT:  Man, I typed that up slowly.  Ninja'd by Sigma.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2011, 22:10:42 »
Another way it can be used...

I do two coats of Gloss when I am finished... Providing the mini with a solid protective coating... Then I do a single coat of Dull Cote... Which does two things... 1) It knocks the shine down. 2) When you're playing your mini, and you start to see a shiny spot, you know you've worn through the outer coating and may want to hit it again. But because you have a good under-layer of Gloss, you don't have to worry about rushing right out to get this done (As in, you have time to finish your game)

Caz

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2011, 03:52:58 »
Examples may be helpful for VF1LAM.

Dullcoat looks real but is easily damaged by touch or wear and tear, while glosscoat looks shiny like glass, and totally fake, despite being totally impervious to anything beyond a ball peen hammer strike.

I've seen some nice results mixing the two, like a bunch of dullcoat over gloss to give that realistic new car look while not looking like glazed pottery.

People who have FAR more experience than me in the mini market will probably have much more useful advice, have away y'all!
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2011, 05:30:44 »
Glosscoat can also be used to hide decal edges as you sometimes get a little bit of shininess behind the transfer. The glosscoat makes the entire layer underneath shiny. Dullcoat over everything will knock that shininess back down to normal.