Author Topic: WYSIWYG Minis  (Read 12967 times)

Wotan

• Lieutenant
Re: WYSIWYG Minis
« Reply #30 on: 08 September 2011, 12:39:04 »
Henceforth why many view it as a Board Game not a MINI game ....  ;)

First of all it is a GAME. And if someone like to play a Toyama, but the mini is not available .. so what ?

That said my personal goal is to field the correct mini whenever i can. If i have the correct variant or config, it's fine. If not, its also ok. It just looks better with the correct mini - but the GAME itself will also work with a proxy. ;)

spaceman spiff

• Warrant Officer
  • We will deal with your rebel farmers soon enough..
« Reply #31 on: 08 September 2011, 12:43:40 »
jeez...there's always someone....  :'( :'(
Spaceman has his own blog now!
http://spaceman-spiff-studio.blogspot.com/

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 08 September 2011, 12:46:19 »
give me a good reason why when I sit across the table from you that I MUST pony up the money for a mech Mini I may or may not like to play with regularly?

There is truly the issue... No one makes an affordable attractive mini. $10-$15 each is not affordable when it can take 100s to span all the minis needed.

The boxed set ones are Ok (and I like them), but most people can't/won't make them look good... The metal ones are cool, but are cost prohibitive.

As for unpainted = unusable... Admittedly, I would rather proxy a bottlecap, then use an unpainted mini... But look at pictures of people's collections... You see bare mini on hex base all the time.. Who has the time to paint them all?... And what do you consider painted?... Color, wash, highlight, (maybe) detail?.. Really? That is a huge improvement over "bare"? I've seen minis with so much paint on them, they practically hide what model it is (because God only knows I've stripped enough of those down)... Is that better the bare? Unrecognizable painted mini = good, unpainted recognizable mini = bad... Really?

And what happens when you show up and have none of the minis need? Because the timeline got changed or the faction was changed.. What do you do then? Go home?..

In order for BattleTech to transition into a WYSIWYG type game, something dramatic would have to change... Until then, just enjoy the game...

Caz

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #33 on: 08 September 2011, 13:20:00 »
it is this simple.

WYSIWYG can not ethically be enforced on the player community except through self policing, and it is unethical for one player to police other players.

In order for BattleTech to transition into a WYSIWYG type game, something dramatic would have to change... Until then, just enjoy the game...

Caz

they tried that, it was called Mechwarrior Dark Age, and it was not nearly as bad as the Grognard's make it out to be.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 08 September 2011, 13:29:11 »
What I play is mini is the same type/base chassis unless custom.  Custom mech need to be modified to show that it is custom ride.   So it also cuts down on loop hole abuseing mechs do to the skill need to build the mini! ;D
This put me some where in the middle,  most of  my own are all wysiwyg.  But I do not impose my insanity on others.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #35 on: 08 September 2011, 13:56:50 »
I do not care.

Painted? Great. Unpainted? Just as good. Arms missing? Meh. Atlas is a Battlemaster? As long as that Awesome's not an Atlas, it's all good. Wow, your primer bubbled, I'll give you some Simple Green after I blow it up over the next couple of hours and you can fix it for next game... You want to field a new Goshawk and it's unpainted and missing an arm? I'm so sorry about that, but put it on the board and worry about it on your own time, not on my shooting time.

I want to play the game. BOOM today, let tomorrow take care of itself.

Only caveat: 'Mechs must be primered and on a hexbase in the gameshop. When they get minis in, I don't want to risk someone pulling one off and claiming it's theirs at an event.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
« Reply #36 on: 08 September 2011, 13:58:22 »
C'mon lads. There are valid points to both sides. No need to get offended.

... [watch]

I guess 8 laughing smiles weren't enough maybe it needs to be 10 ...  ::)

Part of any game is visual appeal if I walked by a 15mm WWII game where all the minis were bare metal or just primes I would never even give it a second look. That same mind set is why some of us are WYSIWYG and believe your minis should at least be painted....

WYSIWYG is all part of making the game more enjoyable and that is one of the reasons I don't like maps or Hex based terrain either. Simply put there seems to be 3 schools...

1 - WYSIWYG Strictly
2 - Painted but and right mini maybe just not the correct variant
3 - I'm not willing to take the time to paint or even try to obtain the correct mini

We have the first two schools in our area with the occasional painted proxy of a XXX for an XXX but the third usually don't stay around long. I guess it all boils down to the board game mentality versus the Mini game set.

give me a good reason why when I sit across the table from you that I MUST pony up the money for a mech Mini I may or may not like to play with regularly? 

Never said you did but chances of me even wanting to play you would be slim because it is not as enjoyable for me. I build my units based on what minis I have and make those work not based on just whatever feather tickles me today, again a different mind set.

Battletech allows for all types and that is one of the appeals and not all players will agree on all things and getting all bent out of shape because one likes one way and you don't is well just simply dumb...
There would be less humans if they were tastier....

RangerRob

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Campaign GM
« Reply #37 on: 08 September 2011, 13:58:37 »
WYSIWYG...somewhat. 
I try to be as close as possible.  And have modded a few mechs to an Alternate status, just cause they look cool, and they would be a nasty surprise if the opposing players didn't see what was coming.

Vindicator VND-5L...the one with a Sword and TSM.
Black Knight BL-9-KNT...the one with the Hatchet
Jagermech and Thunderbolt Rac5 versions...just casue the RAC is neat lookin'

I do try to use the correct Chassis whenever possible.  In my latest campaign, the players have to pay an extra 25% in C-Bills to buy a mech that we don't have the correct mini for.  So if they REALLY want a mech they can pay the extra, or go out and buy the mini.  We got a pool of about 400 minis to choose from so the extra 25% has yet to come up. 
Rangerrob

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #38 on: 08 September 2011, 14:03:16 »
I fluff it away;

"SOP was always to make any modifications as visually subtle as possible in order to disguise the unit's true capabilities to enemy visual and electronic observation."
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #39 on: 08 September 2011, 14:29:12 »
Sheesh!

I admit my earlier post seems harsh, but I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers.

I guess it's never been an issue before given that the people I play with
a) never cared
b) don't have their own minis anyway

"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 08 September 2011, 14:46:43 »
You sound like a fun date

Just don't tell my wife,....  :D

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #41 on: 08 September 2011, 14:53:40 »

Never said you did but chances of me even wanting to play you would be slim because it is not as enjoyable for me. I build my units based on what minis I have and make those work not based on just whatever feather tickles me today, again a different mind set.

Battletech allows for all types and that is one of the appeals and not all players will agree on all things and getting all bent out of shape because one likes one way and you don't is well just simply dumb...

See I am MOSTLY like that because I did invest in the Miniatures of what I like, and I even do some modding (poorly)

but we got 1 and a third of a technical readout alone that does not have miniatures for their contents, and I recently fell in love with the Thunder Fox.  by enforcing other players to play WYSIWYG, I could not proxy a Blue Flame in a nonexistant miniature place without facing ridicule from you.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: 08 September 2011, 15:01:07 »
I guess 8 laughing smiles weren't enough maybe it needs to be 10 ...  ::)

That wasn't at all directed at you Will, but if you want to read it that way...

...and just when you start to think you have a few friends. ;)

I guess it's never been an issue before given that the people I play with
a) never cared
b) don't have their own minis anyway

Agreed. Easy to be a stickler about your own gaming habits, not so much when you're trying to get new players excited about BT.

I think most know by now I really enjoy wysiwyg in Battletech. And yes, I wish it was more of a miniatures game truth be told. But at the same time I would hate to alienate the rest of the fanbase that love BT for it's board game qualities. Especially since all my local friends fit into the latter category. 

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 08 September 2011, 15:16:41 »
That wasn't at all directed at you Will, but if you want to read it that way...

...and just when you start to think you have a few friends. ;)

I know I was responding to yours about the one you were responding too.... Oh man now I'm all confusered ...  :o

Agreed. Easy to be a stickler about your own gaming habits, not so much when you're trying to get new players excited about BT.

I think most know by now I really enjoy wysiwyg in Battletech. And yes, I wish it was more of a miniatures game truth be told. But at the same time I would hate to alienate the rest of the fanbase that love BT for it's board game qualities. Especially since all my local friends fit into the latter category.

We don't say you can't play with proxies or unpainted machines, but we highly encourage them to at least get them painted and try to build their units to match the minis they have.

If I could find a real hardcore group I would play with rules like when you capture a mech from another person you get the mini too and Slap and Grab rules. 

If we had a good reliable LFS we would setup a case where all players bring 16 minis matching the units they are fielding and the minis get moved between players as they are won and lost until one player looses them all then reset. I played with a group that was keep what you captured, mini and all for awhile and it was a blast sadly most of the guys were in the navy and got moved around.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #44 on: 08 September 2011, 15:24:25 »
.......If I could find a real hardcore group I would play with rules like when you capture a mech from another person you get the mini too and Slap and Grab rules. 

If we had a good reliable LFS we would setup a case where all players bring 16 minis matching the units they are fielding and the minis get moved between players as they are won and lost until one player looses them all then reset. I played with a group that was keep what you captured, mini and all for awhile and it was a blast sadly most of the guys were in the navy and got moved around.

YES!  [notworthy]
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: 08 September 2011, 15:29:57 »
In a contrary opinion, if my gaming group decided to do that, it would literally kill my love of the game.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #46 on: 08 September 2011, 15:32:50 »
In a contrary opinion, if my gaming group decided to do that, it would literally kill my love of the game.

YES!

YES!!!!  [notworthy]

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 08 September 2011, 15:44:09 »
No guts no Glory as the old saying goes ....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: 08 September 2011, 15:48:07 »
I play the game for fun, not to gamble.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #49 on: 08 September 2011, 15:58:21 »
I know I was responding to yours about the one you were responding too.

Ah, gotcha.

I play the game for fun, not to gamble.

Your Avatar suggests otherwise... ;)

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #50 on: 08 September 2011, 16:00:37 »
My avatar suggests theft, which is an example of irony, since I can't even contemplate myself doing what Lootbag Commando does. I am as staid as a Starslayer.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #51 on: 08 September 2011, 16:09:54 »
I am as staid as a Starslayer.

I know, I was just ribbing you...  ;D

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #52 on: 08 September 2011, 16:36:40 »
I know, I was just ribbing you...  ;D

Wait...wait...congeniality isn't supposed to happen.  You guys are supposed to internet fight.  See...*points*...it's right here in the script.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #53 on: 08 September 2011, 16:40:42 »
You guys are supposed to internet fight.

I tried to get him to agree to a "dance off" but alas it was a no-go... :-\

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #54 on: 08 September 2011, 16:45:59 »
That's more Catfud's kick, anyway. I prefer air guitar.

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #55 on: 09 September 2011, 13:13:04 »
I attempt to build different variants of 'Mechs just for the fun of it. And in case it's useable(?) in the game instead of a generic (as in: fielding a mini of Hellbringer A instead of Hellbringer Prime) is a great bonus for me. But the main point is the fun and challenge in making an alt.conf. :)
as I crush you puny force with my greater skill and better looking WYSIWYG army....
I assume your army goes something like this... What you see: pain and suffering heading your way; What you get: pain and suffering.

It's pretty simple :D
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 09 September 2011, 13:21:47 »
I assume your army goes something like this... What you see: pain and suffering heading your way; What you get: pain and suffering.

It's pretty simple :D

My force is rather odd in that you never know what I may field at any given time from all vehicles to a mish mash of oddballs and everything has a quirk. I love keeping my opponent off balance and since I run a high percentage of one offs if the mini matches it helps to keep track... for both me and the sap that is on the receiving end...  :D I think 85% of my force is under 75 tons I'm not a stand and take it style fighter but more a run that fireball into the back arc giggling the entire time.

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #57 on: 09 September 2011, 13:25:19 »
I'd love and hate to play against that kind of an opponent, swearing a lot all the time :P
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #58 on: 09 September 2011, 13:27:45 »
I was hampered a little when they took out the engine explosion rules and the splash damage for ammo explosions...  ;D ;D ;D

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 09 September 2011, 14:11:02 »
WYSIWYG in BT is nuts but worth the try if you are up to it. Hope you have deep pockets [rockon]
Life: Some assembly required!

Register