Author Topic: Brawlers in Blue, Gods of War, and a Bandit King  (Read 356 times)

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
Brawlers in Blue, Gods of War, and a Bandit King
« on: 06 March 2024, 10:35:44 »
I kicked off January with a return to clan mechs and blues.  I had Ghost Bears in mind, but ...

When I painted the Mad Dog, my son wanted to paint the Marauder IIC and my 12 yo daughter the Hunchback IIC.  My son really wanted the Marauder's cockpit on the top panel there, so I ran with it.  I ended up cleaning both mechs up, but the kids did really well. 

After I painted the Summoner, my son saw it and wanted his favourite mech (Atlas) painted to match, so I painted up a Zeus while helping him with that.  The end result reminds me of the then-unseen sanitized "CLASSIC" cover of TRO 3025.

The IS mechs could pass for something Steiner, FRR 1st Tyr ... I plan to add a Warhammer and Archer, and later Barton's Devastator (Legends II) and Awesome (MAC pack) once they become available to fill out Barton's 2nd MAC command lance as well.

Next, as much as I liked the blue, I wanted to push myself and experiment with a more advanced scheme, and these guys had long been on my radar. 

Elliot Webb, the mercenary commander who extorted his estranged father into handing over his multi-billion interstellar organization (complete with his personal security forces) and then sweet talked his way into a fat pay-checked gig of garrisoning jacuzzies in the Free Worlds League.

The "paper tiger" Martian Cuirassiers sound like a fun force (or OpFor) to run.  It doesn't hurt that they sport Martian camo.  It also doesn't hurt that they later flogged 3 Clan Omnis from a Comstar compound.  Some interesting story potential there.

I also had Snake Stompers in mind when painting these up (Commando doubles as a nod to ol' Gramps). I don't believe there is an official scheme for the Stompers but the volcanic badlands of Quentin where the Stompers ambushed and nearly roasted Jaime Wolf were described in reds and greys, so this works as camo for them too.

And finally, I was inspired to push for a yellow scheme and took a shot at Grimm's Oberon Guards.

Last year I tried my hand at a similar scheme with Rolling Thunder ... Thunder and Oberon Warhammers and Archers side by side:

BONUS: My 12yo daughter asked to paint a mech with no help in the scheme of her choice.  This was 100% her, in a volcanic scheme ... the lava splashed onto the Enforcer's feet was intentional.  I wish I could have achieved this at her age.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Brawlers in Blue, Gods of War, and a Bandit King
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2024, 16:58:35 »
 :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2024, 17:29:25 »
 :smilie_happy_thumbup: :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2024, 18:09:39 »
Nice work all around! :)

thesilverback

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2024, 18:27:14 »
Nice work really like the blue schemed mechs and the yellow scheme that you have going on.
6th Federated Suns Armored Cavalry (Hillbillies with Guns)

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2024, 18:46:25 »
Nice work really like the blue schemed mechs and the yellow scheme that you have going on.

That’s what I was going to say!  It’s also really cool to hear about you painting with your kids.  My 12 year old son has caught the bug, and it’s so neat to talk Battletech and painting with him! My other kids have all painted a ‘Mech (my daughter used nail polish on hers!)

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2024, 06:25:46 »
Good-looking paintwork again :cheesy:
And yay for painting with kids, my younger (soon seven) painted a Panther (the German kind) pink with rainbow-coloured road wheels. That was fun :cheesy:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2024, 07:41:00 »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  Definitely open to suggestions for improvement, particularly the Martians (which I agree are the weaker here).

Yes, I do enjoy involving the kids when I can.

@Gladius-XC, I am curious, how did that nail polish turn out?  It's great that your son is engaging in the game too.  I haven't had much of a chance to play it with my son, but I recently ran a little cadet campaign to teach him some basic rules; a 4 mech city race followed by a jungle search and rescue.  He still brings up that cheating Urbie pilot who was disqualified for cutting corners.

@ISD, that's very cool! It's a great age to start building their skills.  Pink tanks with rainbow wheels ... and I'll bet you have no intention of painting over it.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2024, 06:07:15 »
Sweet! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2024, 08:14:08 »
@ISD, that's very cool! It's a great age to start building their skills.  Pink tanks with rainbow wheels ... and I'll bet you have no intention of painting over it.
I would never ruin their paintjobs. I actually thought that the pink + rainbow worked funnily enough and thought that if I had an extra 1:35 Panther again, I'd make one my way as if it was a deadly serious project but with an unusual colour range :grin:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster