Author Topic: Orion VA  (Read 352 times)

abou

• Captain
Orion VA
« on: 13 March 2024, 17:26:14 »
I painted this Orion based on an old CityTech mini I did when I was 11 and all I had was Testors enamel. Hopefully I did a better job this time around.

The neat thing about the 2006 re-sculpt was the ease of conversion. Just had to order an extra arm sprue to make the VA variant. I was inspired to do this because I really did not like the way the LRM launcher attached to the shoulder. I know the base miniature was used to make the Kerensky version, but I think IWM missed an opportunity here to use the extra bits and allow a bunch of accurate variants out of the blister.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2024, 17:46:51 by abou »

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
Re: Orion VA
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2024, 17:38:19 »
That’s super cool!  Painting minis is all about making them your own, and yours is doubly so!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2024, 17:57:38 »
You CERTAINLY did a better job this time around! :)

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2024, 18:06:11 »
Oh yeah, that looks great!

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2024, 23:49:20 »
Nice work!

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2024, 02:22:56 »
Excellent and simple conversion, and lovely paintjob too!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

abou

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2024, 23:15:41 »
Thank you, gentlemen. Wish I was better at taking photos, but relying on Facebook's compression seems to help with the forum upload limit.

BTW, if anyone is curious, shading orange with phthalo green is a neat trick. I had a sample bottle sent to me by Reaper in an order, but I had no idea what I was doing with it and it wasn't even labeled. Turns out its transparency is the key.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2024, 01:22:48 »
Well done.

Register