Author Topic: WHEN to Apply High/Low Gravity  (Read 1858 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
WHEN to Apply High/Low Gravity
« on: 12 November 2019, 10:23:59 »
The rules on Page 55 (New PDF version), states that worlds with Greater/Lesser gravity than Earth's can impact Mechs/Vehicles movement etc.

My question is...when? The rules here are kind of vague.

Example. Nanking has a Gravity of 1.06 (and in the TOTAL CHAOS campaign scenarios) States to use the High Gravity rules from TacOps.

But, with a low change to Gravity as 1.06, it is not until a Unit has a Walk/Cruise Speed of 9+ that any impact is seen.

The Rule:

To determine a unit’s movement rates as affected by gravity, divide its Walking (or Cruising) and Jumping MP by the G-rating of the world and round to the nearest whole number (round down at .5).

Walk 7 / 1.06 = 6.6 = 7 (round up)

Walk 8 / 1.06 = 7.54 = 8 (round up)

Walk 9 / 1.06 = 8.49 = 8 (round down)

Worlds Like Detroit (gravity of 1.02) which means a unit needs to have walk/cruise of around 25 or 26 to see a movement impact.

Next would be Jumping Damage. The rules state:

Make a Piloting Skill Roll, applying a modifier for every full 0.5 gravities above or below 1. For example 0.2 gravity would apply a +1 modifier, while a 2.6 would apply a +3 modifier.

So, worlds like Nanking or Detroit, even with the miniscule 0.06 and 0.02 would impact jumping movement.

Using Comparisons to Planets in our own Solar System, Mars has a Gravity of 0.375 compared to Earth's, so a 100 lb person on Earth weighs 38 lbs on Mars, or that 100 Ton Mech is 38 Tons on Mars.

Using that same analogy, that 100 ton mech on Earth is....100.06 tons on Nanking and 100.02 Tons on Detroit.

In other words, is the 1G cut-off for High/Low gravity a little off? Shouldn't the cut-off be a little more?

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: WHEN to Apply High/Low Gravity
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2019, 16:59:38 »
This is an interesting question, and I don't have an answer right away. I do have a math nitpick:

Using that same analogy, that 100 ton mech on Earth is....100.06 tons on Nanking and 100.02 Tons on Detroit.

100 tons x 1.06G = 106 tons, not 100.06 tons
100 tons x 1.02G = 102 tons, not 100.02 tons
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: WHEN to Apply High/Low Gravity
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2019, 17:16:39 »
This is an interesting question, and I don't have an answer right away. I do have a math nitpick:

100 tons x 1.06G = 106 tons, not 100.06 tons
100 tons x 1.02G = 102 tons, not 100.02 tons

:-[

D'oh...You are correct - had WAAAAAAAAY too many .this and .that in my brain!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Register