Author Topic: fuel price increases  (Read 33557 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: fuel price increases
« Reply #60 on: 08 March 2011, 17:49:26 »
Two other factors affect Americans:  One, America is a much more sprawling nation than most other developed nations, so you usually live further from everywhere and therefore have to drive more, and two, much of America has little to no public transportation available.

(Note: this is a general comment, not directed at this poster or anyone specific)

That America is this way is a fact; why America is this way becomes a matter of opinion, and enters the political space. Please remember this.

Worktroll, Moderator
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 08 March 2011, 17:57:30 »
The fact that this is only going to continue makes me seriously consider looking at a Chevy Volt when I get a new car some time in the next year-ish (3-4 months, hopefully).  Regardless of anything else, being able to commute for no gas is very appealing in a city with no public transit.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #62 on: 08 March 2011, 18:13:16 »
And the economics of the second correlates to the first.  Hence the most efficient chunk of transportation in the US remains the airline seat-mile.

I've heard that US freight trains move 1 ton of cargo 435 miles on 1 gallon of gas. I think this means we should all become hobos.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
  • Making myself unpopular since I re-registered.
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #63 on: 08 March 2011, 18:29:56 »
I've heard that US freight trains move 1 ton of cargo 435 miles on 1 gallon of gas. I think this means we should all become hobos.

WTB: Like button.

@Arkansas: Tesla Roadster. Sadface at the price, though.

"I am, therefore I'll think." -Ayn Rand

atlask

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 08 March 2011, 18:32:40 »
WTB: Like button.

@Arkansas: Tesla Roadster. Sadface at the price, though.

I agree we need a like button
Catalyst Demo Agent #881, Tulsa, OK

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #65 on: 08 March 2011, 19:08:18 »

Long distance rail is one of the most fuel- and cost-efficient means of moving anything, particularly in bulk. Unfortunately it's also one of the less flexible, which is why the adoption of "Just In Time" operational rythms pushed companies into using road transport.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #66 on: 08 March 2011, 19:30:35 »

Oops.  Totally forgot that.  I had passengers on the brain.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 08 March 2011, 19:35:47 »
Somewhere I saw that there's a company that's begun producing a sort of kite-like sail for large cargo ships, which can apparently save a not-inconsiderable amount of fuel.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Grim_Reaper

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 08 March 2011, 20:41:13 »
well i know for me this increase in gas prices will mean im going to be very busy this spring and summer as bicycle sales will go up. happened a couple years ago when gas was nearly $5 a gallon in my area and i was building bikes like crazy trying to keep up

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 08 March 2011, 21:25:22 »
Saddly, I can bicycle to the villiage. It's only 4 miles give or take.  The next nearest though is over 20.  I guss I'll just have to fix the clutch  on my little Dodge Shadow,  It's not fast, but it's reliabley efficient
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Highball

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: 08 March 2011, 21:27:19 »
I drive 134 miles a day round trip just to get to the office. That does not include the trips for project surveys or to drop off signs. I have a Hyundai Elantra and I get great mileage, but I am starting to feel the pinch!  [tickedoff]
Marshal Russell Trest Oberlan. "War to the sword ..... the sword to the hilt!"

20th Militia

• Recruit
« Reply #71 on: 08 March 2011, 22:59:40 »
1,000 miles per week + extra dollar per gallon = need more petroleum jelly (but that'll probably go up as well).  :(
"You and your puppet Kerensky ought to be pleased that I had a miserable time on that Davion tub coming here. Davion ships are as badly serviced as a Kurita brothel and as ugly as a Capellan whore, eh, gentlemen? Oh, but of course Lady Steiner wouldn't know about such things."
-Ewan Marik (Handbook: House Marik)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #72 on: 08 March 2011, 23:52:05 »
well i know for me this increase in gas prices will mean im going to be very busy this spring and summer as bicycle sales will go up. happened a couple years ago when gas was nearly $5 a gallon in my area and i was building bikes like crazy trying to keep up

:).

Shijima_3085

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #73 on: 09 March 2011, 00:04:55 »
There's some really odd economics that go on with gasoline.  The folks at the pump buy supplies from a distributor (which may or may not be the same "brand") which can increase in price because diesel fuel costs have gone up too.  The distributor purchased its stock in bulk from a refinery (again which may or may not be the same "brand") based on a contract that may have been set months ago.  The same goes for the refinery with purchasing raw feed stock, but they also have significant operating costs for natural gas, electricity, and possibly diluent for PSC (premium synthetic crude).

I've seen arrangements where the refinery sells output to itself as the distributor, and then back to itself as both fuel for internal consumption at the refinery as well as their commercial stations.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #74 on: 09 March 2011, 00:42:01 »

Been there, done that. Nice way to get to Atlantic City.  ;)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #75 on: 09 March 2011, 01:04:04 »

I'd like a freight train that passes by work and school.  ;)

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #76 on: 09 March 2011, 03:17:37 »
We are around £1.40 a litre in the UK

At 4.55 litres to the UK gallon thats £6.37 a gallon or say US$10.32 at an exchange rate of 1.62

The reason why its so high is taxation accounting for well over 60% of the total price:

http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 09 March 2011, 03:53:27 »
Wow, y'all have big gallons.  Ours are only 3.79 L
Sunrise is Coming.

IvanR

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #78 on: 09 March 2011, 04:15:17 »
Two other factors affect Americans:  One, America is a much more sprawling nation than most other developed nations, so you usually live further from everywhere and therefore have to drive more, and two, much of America has little to no public transportation available.

Mate, You guys don't know the meaning of the word "sprawling" - I have to *fly* about three hours to get to the nearest state border, let alone state capital.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #79 on: 09 March 2011, 07:57:44 »
Wow, y'all have big gallons.

Or you have teeny weeny little ones  ;)

I'll get me coat...
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #80 on: 09 March 2011, 08:51:07 »
Wow, y'all have big gallons.  Ours are only 3.79 L
They use Imperial gallons which is a bit larger than our own. I just wish the USA would join the rest of the world and go metric.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 09 March 2011, 08:55:56 »
At its most basic form, when I have to shell out over 40 frogbacks to fill up my compact ricemobile, I want someone to throttle. This is ridiculous.
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #82 on: 09 March 2011, 09:05:50 »
Who gives a crap what fuel costs?

If it's such a big deal to you, either buy a fuel efficient car, or live closer to where you work.

The bigger problem is the ever increasing price of food, although very few people have noticed that, or complain about it, since it is much easier to camofluage, by keeping prices the same but reducing portions in boxes (Cereal is VERY guilty of this).
Captain is hilariously easy to set off, like a walking barrel of gunpowder within a self contained field of destructium and a great big button on his forehead that says "Push me for fireworks".

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #83 on: 09 March 2011, 09:37:23 »
Mate, You guys don't know the meaning of the word "sprawling" - I have to *fly* about three hours to get to the nearest state border, let alone state capital.
Sounds like traveling from one part of Texas to the other...   ;)

If it's such a big deal to you, either buy a fuel efficient car, or live closer to where you work.

The bigger problem is the ever increasing price of food, although very few people have noticed that, or complain about it, since it is much easier to camofluage, by keeping prices the same but reducing portions in boxes (Cereal is VERY guilty of this).
Sure, that's so simple for everyone.  Because the cost of living is so ridiculously low everywhere and cars can be picked up like a box of cereal.... why I think I'll go out and buy a sedan right now since I don't have to pay for that food you so cleverly discovered was expensive (the rest of us just plum missed that nugget), oh and rent, utilities and since everything else is so easy and well paying jobs are so readily available I think I'll get the 10 to 20 thousand a year raise I'd need to buy said luxuries. By the way, Marie Antoinette called, she's serving cake.  ;)

But seriously man, it's not a solution that is as feasible as it sounds.... sure I'd like cheaper rent and my own sedan (even a used model is fine, I'm not picky), but if that's not an option you can wish all you want and still be stuck at least for the moment.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #84 on: 09 March 2011, 09:42:36 »
Sounds like traveling from one part of Texas to the other...   ;)

He's an Aussie IIRC, which nearly amounts to the same thing. ;)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #85 on: 09 March 2011, 10:08:21 »

You buying me a car and a house closer to my employment?

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #86 on: 09 March 2011, 10:13:18 »
but if that's not an option you can wish all you want and still be stuck at least for the moment.

Sounds like you made some poor financial decisions in your life up to this point.

That goes double for anyone complaining about gas prices.  Triple if you are an American, since you've been underpaying for your gas for decades.
Captain is hilariously easy to set off, like a walking barrel of gunpowder within a self contained field of destructium and a great big button on his forehead that says "Push me for fireworks".

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #87 on: 09 March 2011, 10:14:00 »
If you're so great, captn, how about buying me a fuel efficient car and a home?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 09 March 2011, 10:58:47 »
Sounds like you made some poor financial decisions in your life up to this point.

That goes double for anyone complaining about gas prices.  Triple if you are an American, since you've been underpaying for your gas for decades.
Yes, silly me.  I should have taken that six figure job they offer all the history majors coming out of college.  listen dude, I don't know what kind of easy life you've got, but every body ain't got it that way.  Sometimes you take the job you can get because it's the one that's hiring.  Sometimes you live where you live because that's where there's a place for sale/rent.  You can be a financial genius and still struggle just because of circumstances.
Sunrise is Coming.

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #89 on: 09 March 2011, 11:08:06 »
history majors coming out of college
I'm beginning to see why you have such poor employment opportunities.  (Engineering Degree myself)

listen dude, I don't know what kind of easy life you've got, but every body ain't got it that way.
My life is easy because I work hard.  I keep working hard and my life gets easier.  I made a plan for myself when I was 14, and I thank my parents every day for pushing me to do that.

If a change in gas prices affects you drastically, you need to learn how to manage your life and finances better in the long term, so these short term adjustments don't cause problems for you.  It's all about personal responsibility.