Author Topic: Need setup recommendation for introducing 2 new players  (Read 2199 times)

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
Need setup recommendation for introducing 2 new players
« on: 13 October 2019, 00:00:36 »
Going to break in 2 of my wargaming buddies to Battletech.  Since we will be 3, I'm not really sure how to run this.  What kind of scenario/setup would you recommend for an evening gaming?   BV value of forces?

The era will be 3039, and I have access to enough mechs for us 3.(The old Beginner boxset and the new GoAC, plus a few IWM minis.)  Terrain will be 1 or 2 neoprene maps depending on how many mechs(greenland + greenland with base on it), so 4 mapsheets equivalent.

Church14

• Lieutenant
Re: Need setup recommendation for introducing 2 new players
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2019, 08:42:52 »
I’d second grinder, but I would start each player with a light and a medium. Mech duels in battletech introduce a disproportionate reliance on initiative. Each having 2 allows you to introduce the ideas of:
-triggering activations that are safe bets
-Mass fire against the target that didn’t get a high to-hit modifier
-Prioritizing targets

Probably a few others I haven’t thought of.

Alternatively, give each new guy two mechs and have them face you while you run 3 mechs. But have them start in diffeeprent areas.

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2019, 09:13:53 »
Sold for grinder style.  I'll cook up some objective to make it more focused than a simple brawl.  I'll probably defend it while they need to capture it. 

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2019, 09:22:31 »
First game, you don't play.  Give them each two mechs and teach them as they play.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2019, 09:29:46 »
I'd really start them with one 'mech each.  Managing multiple sheets can be confusing at first, especially if you don't know the rules yet.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2019, 09:47:00 »
I'd really start them with one 'mech each.  Managing multiple sheets can be confusing at first, especially if you don't know the rules yet.

My first game, there were four of us playing (teams of two players each); each with four ‘Mechs (all intro tech). It went well and only took 2 to 3 hours to finish.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2019, 10:03:39 »
There are players that starting with multiple 'mechs could work for, but without knowing the two new players, fewer is a safer bet.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2019, 11:21:59 »
There are players that starting with multiple 'mechs could work for, but without knowing the two new players, fewer is a safer bet.
for me the question is more, what kind of first play session you and the others are looking for.
  • Demo (one experienced, x newbies): if it should run smoothly, make predefined selections, be sure to be able to answer question to all the selections. For BT it then depends a lot on the experience of the one running the demo. Also a good case for GM or GM like scenario
  • All newbies, interested in a fluid first game: keep numbers simple and extend over time
  • All newbies, enjoying a learning by doing game: keep complexity standard without going overboard. maybe leaving a few elements out etc.

for me it's  3) these days (across games). As long as the players enjoy a leisurely session with a lot of rule lookups and inevitable errors this is the best version for me. :)

so as always the answer is most likely: it depends - in this case on the players and what they are looking for

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2019, 11:31:18 »
Problem with 1 on 1 is that it's kind of dull.  There's not enough tactical choices to make.  It just ends up being two mechs running around in a circle, or if they have jump jets, two mechs playing leap frog to get the rear shots.  Initiative becomes less important too(but not completely).    I've never shown anyone the game with a one on one fight where they were excited afterward.  At best, I didn't lower their opinion of the game.  Last time I taught two players I gave them 2 mechs each and their only disappointment was that we didn't have time for another game.

I wouldn't give them to identical mechs either.  Make them each feel like they have some kind of advantage over the other.  Definitely give them each one with jump jets and one without.  Also make sure at least one of their mechs(each) isn't heat neutral.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2019, 11:33:59 »
It's been a long time since my first game, and I have to say, even though it was only 1 v. 1, I was excited enough to leap at the chance to play again in college (and pretty much every week throughout).

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2019, 12:07:13 »
the KISS principal is definitely in play.

I like grinders because it allows for more players and is immune to the random early crit kill. It also lowers the stakes and allows the game to go on as long as you want it to. At the learning phase, just getting the flow of the game down is more important than tactics - which they’ll tend to overthink in a 1v1 deathmatch

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2019, 13:00:34 »
If I was running demos, or otherwise trying to teach several people to play at once, then I'd go with grinders as well.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2019, 13:41:22 »
I am going to go opposite than most others and recommend against a grinder.  Probably because I don't find them very much fun, very entertaining and somewhat pointless.  A suggestion from the intro box (version 3 I believe).  I would take the part of the moderator and coach and have them take a 2 vs 2 (I like the wolverine and wasp vs griffen and stinger) with the first mech down being looser.  honestly people shouldn't get that confused by having to manage 2 record sheets each.  After they get the gist of the game mechanics, then perhaps put yourself in the roll of OpFor and have them on the other team on some sort of lance vs lance action with a set objective (recon, escape, headhunter, etc). That seems more interesting than a mech bar brawl.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2019, 14:02:36 »
Start off with slow 'Mechs for the first game, not fast units that will have a hard time hitting each other.

Also, try to begin with heat efficient 'Mechs if possible.

Lastly, lay off the missile boats for the first game to minimize dice rolling.
I have spoken.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2019, 14:35:19 »
Ja. if you start with the grinder, start with mediums. Not wolverine/shad/griffin, but blackjack/centurion/hunchback

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2019, 21:10:45 »
No worries about handling multiple mech sheets, we were all die hard RPG'er in college(the good years!) 

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2019, 23:29:54 »
It really is easier if you aren't playing, imo.  I'd try 2v2 while you explain the rules and maybe even read out table results, if it starts running late.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2019, 04:36:31 »
The other option would be having them be allies, and you run the OpFor.  One of them gets a Heavy that does not have Jump Jets, and the other is a medium Mech with Jump Jets.  The Medium Mech will have weapons with only ~15 hexes range, while the Heavy Mech will have PPCs for range.

The map will need locations where the Jump Jet Medium can get to easily, while the Heavy/Assault Mech has to take a long path.

Things to use are:
half-armored field guns (the Medium mech will have to jump to shoot them in the rear vs the Heavy having to grind though their armor)
SRM turrets (the Medium Mech will learn to stay out of their firing range, letting the Heavy mech snipe them)

The final battle is vs an Assault Mech, so the two players have to work together, using what they learned.

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
  • I'll either find a way or make one.
« Reply #19 on: 14 October 2019, 04:52:46 »
I play intro games normally 1 vs 1 (one of the 1s would be me) with two Mechs per side.

One Mech alone per side doesn't catch BT very well, IMHO.

Different roles, supporting each other, beating the initiative roll, all that is lacking in 1 Mech vs 1 Mech.

My preferred Mechs for newbies: Hunchback + Shadow Hawk.

This covers a lot of ground: jumping, cluster weapons and minimum range for the SH, lack of range, powerfull weapon, tin foil armor on the back for the HB.

I'd play something like an Urbie and a Valkyrie. Enough to teach that Mechs like the HB needs to close fast but also need cover for his back, but not enough to win under normal circumstances AKA The Dice Gods are indifferent.

In your case maybe letting the two newbies playing against each other and you helping both would be the best way.
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 14 October 2019, 14:15:23 »
It may depend on the person.  A grinder would work well for me but would not work for my wife because story and feeling like you control a character are important to her.  For her an actual basic scenario where she controls a particular mech would work best.  Do you know the new player's preferences?

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 14 October 2019, 14:25:42 »
It may depend on the person.  A grinder would work well for me but would not work for my wife because story and feeling like you control a character are important to her.  For her an actual basic scenario where she controls a particular mech would work best.  Do you know the new player's preferences?

They're the type that requires a goal, yes.  That is why I will prepare a scenario where they need to recover some tech from a secret base in a stormy region.  A grinder would still fit in such scenario, I think, by mentionning the mechs that arrive later were dropped far from they dropzone because of the extreme atmospheric storm conditions.

I'm not replying to everyone(we're pretty busy this weekend "closing" the backyard and prepping for winter, but I'm taking notes of recommended mechs, and the reasons why, thanks for all the tips!

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 15 October 2019, 18:15:30 »
Ok, here is what I have in mind after reading the replies here:

Final mechs to be used are still to be determined when I get time.

The goal:
Secret mission in Kurita territory to investigate a potential secret facility that might be testing some new targeting prototype(a classic BT mission).  Deniability is a must, so a young upstart mech company(that no one will miss should they fail) was chosen.

Modified Grinder style, they start with one light and one medium, while their heavy and assault mechs missed their dropzone and will arrive later(like, just in time to see one of their buddy blow up)

Base defense will be 2 tanks that will be on patrol duty mid-map.  And in the base will be one light and one heavy mech linked with an early prototype of c3 computer.  When I have the BV values calculated, I might add an extra mech(not c3 linked) if balancing is required.

Since it will be a first game, I think the tanks should still give a good challenge and damage them enough for them to be easy prey for the long range heavy mech using the light as a close range spotter.  That should make sure they get at least their heavy mech involved.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2019, 18:18:11 by kinwolf »

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 15 October 2019, 18:32:29 »
I would leave out the c3.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 15 October 2019, 18:40:36 »
Agreed... C3 is not something to use in an introductory game.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #25 on: 15 October 2019, 18:52:12 »
That’s the thing to avoid. Get them acclimated to just playing the game before piling on the fun toys

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 15 October 2019, 19:22:42 »
Ok.  I'll hear your words of wisdom  :P  The rumor will be a false one then.

Register