Author Topic: Primitives or Industrials?  (Read 6729 times)

ravensword

• Sergeant
Primitives or Industrials?
« on: 27 January 2011, 00:33:09 »
If you've got the manufacturing capability for both, are primitive BattleMechs or armed IndustrialMechs more combat-effective?

You pay through the nose for structure on IndustrialMechs, but for the engine on primitive BattleMechs.  You don't have to pay for ejection seats or environmental sealing on the BattleMechs.  Both get a +2 modifier on critical rolls.

So if you've got the option, which would you choose?

WarMonkey

• Master Sergeant
  • Beware the might of the Falcon, freebirths!
Re: Primitives or Industrials?
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2011, 01:27:36 »
Primitives.........they are still real mechs, not weed-wackers trying to be real mechs!  :P
Winning......it beats losing!

Aidan Pryde is my hero!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 06:07:45 »
Primatives. The advantages are many - no double weight intenral strucutre, normal-grade fire control and coming with little comforts like ejection seats.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 08:14:18 »
Depends on the exact model under comparison.  Even paying for the extras, there are times not dealing with the engine difference balances things out in favor of the IndustrialMech.

However, I'd prefer not to deal with either one and churn out modern (or at least SW) combat vehicles if I can't get my hands on a real 'Mech.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2011, 08:21:36 »
If we are talking about defense of a world or interstellar nation, then I'd certainly go with Primitive BattleMechs.  While certainly nowhere near effective as their modern analogues, they are still designed specifically for the purpose of combat operations.  In game terms, there might only be a little difference between Primitives and Industrials, but I suspect that in the "real life" of the in-game universe it goes much further, and as such it would be easier to integrate Primitive machines into your already extant fighting force.

If we are talking about a situation where you have a factory that's just sitting around producing nothing, and you find it has these basic `Mech manufacturing capabilities then I would lean more towards producing Industrial `Mechs in order to shore up the economy of my planet/power.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Ferrit

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2011, 08:56:14 »
In addition to all the points already raised I'd add that I suspect that the Primitives would be much eaiser to upgrade to less primitive tech than Industrials. Gives a better foundation for the long term.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 09:04:46 »
Industrials.
Heavy Industrial Armor = Standard BattleMech Armor.
Advanced Fire Control = Standard BattleMech Cockpit.
Ejection Seats are for losers! :)
more importantly, industrials are standard rules level, primitives are obscure rule book.

Though to be serious, it might depend on tonnage.  light/medium units might get hit less on engine, so primitive is more effective.  heavy (at least faster heavies) and assaults, the engine size hurts.  I haven't look to see where that might actually break.  But you can't have a 4/6, 100 ton primitive (would be a non-existent 480 engine?), so I know an industrial is better in that one case :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 09:17:58 »
In addition to all the points already raised I'd add that I suspect that the Primitives would be much eaiser to upgrade to less primitive tech than Industrials. Gives a better foundation for the long term.

Yes, but the refit is going to be a major pain in the neck since you have to replace, at minimum, the cockpit, the armor, and the engine.  It's definitely doable, but it's on par with any other major refit along those lines.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2011, 09:54:30 »
I'd go with the Primitive.
A primitive Battlemech is STILL a Battlemech.
An Industrial isnt really meant for combat at all.

Would you rather drive an M4 Sherman tank into battle, or a pickup truck with recoiless rifles strapped to it?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2011, 09:55:22 »
Would you rather drive a Vedette into battle or a 200 ton dump truck going backwards with three AC/20s pointed at the enemy?

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2011, 10:34:33 »
Would you rather drive a Vedette into battle or a 200 ton dump truck going backwards with three AC/20s pointed at the enemy?

Vedette.

The 3 AC20 will earn me a lot of attention of the kind a dump truck will not survive  :D.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2011, 11:41:51 »
Vedette.  Range and the speed to keep the range.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2011, 12:37:56 »
Vedette.  Range and the speed to keep the range.

Just putting the question into context.  There's a dump truck like that in this game.  And I lean toward the Vedette myself, honestly, but there's a certain crazy awesome appeal to that Brunel.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2011, 12:51:06 »
I'd go with the Primitive.
A primitive Battlemech is STILL a Battlemech.
An Industrial isnt really meant for combat at all.

Would you rather drive an M4 Sherman tank into battle, or a pickup truck with recoiless rifles strapped to it?

industrial mechs include dedicated security mechs.  It's not all loader mechs and forestry mechs.  i'd take a modern SWAT teams' equipment over world war I infantry.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2011, 13:43:21 »
 I am going to have to side with Industrials for asformentioned reasons. The First Colossal mech was an indi.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2011, 13:51:23 »
Primitive, if I survive piloting one for a while I'd have something to brag about.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #16 on: 27 January 2011, 14:43:41 »
Primatives. The advantages are many - no double weight intenral strucutre, normal-grade fire control and coming with little comforts like ejection seats.

For these rules-based reasons, I'd go with Primitive BattleMechs. There's also the point that WorkMechs are more vulnerable to internal damage than a Primitive BattleMech, suffering more crits.

The WW1 gear-vs-SWAT gear comparison is interesting, but the battlefield performance differences between WorkMechs and Primitive BattleMechs is such that I don't think the analogy is applicable (and even the most Primitive of BattleMechs, the Mackie, was noted for having exceptional technology in some ways, like its sensors). And there's the fluff issue that WorkMechs do represent even more primitive gear than Primitive BattleMechs - WorkMechs are 100 years older than BattleMechs.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2011, 15:38:36 »
I'm going with the Primitives. They are designed for battle.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2011, 16:12:03 »
Quasit, all the way.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #19 on: 03 February 2011, 09:30:57 »
Sorry to be contrary, but have both.

Primitives say these mechs are low tech.

Industrials say these mechs are field expedient refits.

What message are you saying? Seriously, BT is all about the background, so what is the story?
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2011, 16:51:32 »
considering most "primitive" battlemechs were built in retrofitted industrial mech facilities, I say why not both?  Spend a quarter producing military hardware and the rest of the fiscal year producing civilian products.  Focus on a quality design like the Battleaxe, Dervish, or Ostwar and you gotyourself a buy in bulk winner.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk