Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 181132 times)

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #840 on: 22 March 2023, 21:45:07 »
Going back to the Fladhman without making this a fan design thread: You could easily tefut a 7K with DHS and ER lot stock lasers make an effective beam trooper wit.  Even the post Jihad Niops infrastructure could get them in modest amounts, especially by the Dark Ages.
It's similar to the lower tier Royal refits you see on things like the Marauder 2R or the Royal Ostroc. 

I can also see the Hawkwolf and the Longbow being good fits, as they're easy to maintain and have excellent throw waits for missiles. 

D-Rock

• Corporal
  • "I'm sure a profound statement belongs here..."
« Reply #841 on: 24 March 2023, 11:40:21 »
My latest additions to the NAM:

Making it the equivalent of a reinforced company... or three Comstar Level II's.

I think that's enough for now, at least until I get my hands on some Burkes or some Nighthawks.

In the meantime should be plenty of fodder for 'What the Hell is That Doing on Niops' vignettes.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2023, 11:02:39 by D-Rock »

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #842 on: 24 March 2023, 11:51:40 »
That combination of really looks quite Lyran. But then, there are only so many colours humans can see after all, so similarities are inevitable :D

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #843 on: 24 March 2023, 12:55:14 »
That combination of really looks quite Lyran. But then, there are only so many colours humans can see after all, so similarities are inevitable :D

The details on Niops' paint scheme were pretty vague and open to interpretation. I did the best I could.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #844 on: 24 March 2023, 14:19:32 »
The details on Niops' paint scheme were pretty vague and open to interpretation. I did the best I could.

It's not a complaint, they look good!  ;D

Besides, in the real world, almost all AFVs come in green, brown, grey and mixes of green, brown, grey, and black anyway   ^-^

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #845 on: 24 March 2023, 18:37:15 »
My latest additions to the NAM:

Looking good.

I think that's enough for now, at least until I get my hands on some Burkes or some Nighthawks.

Funny that: I should be getting both from IWM in the mail today.  New plastic Black Knight just came and is already painted up.

In the meantime should be plenty of fodder for 'What the Hell is That Doing on Niops' vignettes.

Looking forward to the vignettes.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #847 on: 14 July 2023, 12:09:03 »
Took some new photos of the GM Sniper with the urban Niops camo

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #848 on: 14 July 2023, 13:36:38 »
OK, that's cool.  I'm trying to decide what canon 'Mech it looks the most like, because all 'Mechs should have a heavy rifled cannon with a wooden stock in one arm, and a heavy shield in the other.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #849 on: 14 July 2023, 15:42:30 »
OK, that's cool.  I'm trying to decide what canon 'Mech it looks the most like, because all 'Mechs should have a heavy rifled cannon with a wooden stock in one arm, and a heavy shield in the other.

Pack Hunter, but with the shoulder gun switched to hand-carried

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #850 on: 15 July 2023, 03:58:18 »
Pack Hunter, but with the shoulder gun switched to hand-carried

I was thinking that or some form of mutant Clint.  That rifle's got a magazine at the bottom, right?

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #851 on: 15 July 2023, 04:15:16 »
I was thinking that or some form of mutant Clint.  That rifle's got a magazine at the bottom, right?

Small one, like a Carcano or Mosin, yeah

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #852 on: 20 July 2023, 01:25:36 »
GM sniper II. not bad. shape wise it's got arms liek a wolverine, the legs and torso like a shadow hawk, and a head like a Commando.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #853 on: 21 July 2023, 19:52:08 »
GM sniper II. not bad. shape wise it's got arms liek a wolverine, the legs and torso like a shadow hawk, and a head like a Commando.

Hmm, say 55 tons, 5/8/3, armor a mix of SHD and WVR, at 9.5 tons, with a medium shield, retractable blade, and a heavy rifle with a ton of ammo?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #854 on: 22 July 2023, 21:43:33 »
you you can tweak the BM-G97-C "Jim Sniper" from my WIP Nebula California submission.. whenever i finish it and submit.
(though that one might show up in a design thread supplement instead)

:evil: :evil:  cool :wink:

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #855 on: 30 July 2023, 21:23:44 »
This is the HGUC RGM-79, #20, the cheap and cheerfulest GM of all. Maybe a bit too cheap and cheerful. The ankle guard came off, and I haven't checked to see if it's fixable.

Niops colours again for this one. With and without shield.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #856 on: 30 July 2023, 22:24:56 »
That came out great, and I’m really enjoying your take on NAM unit paint schemes.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #857 on: 30 July 2023, 23:28:23 »
This is the HGUC RGM-79, #20, the cheap and cheerfulest GM of all. Maybe a bit too cheap and cheerful. The ankle guard came off, and I haven't checked to see if it's fixable.

Niops colours again for this one. With and without shield.
one i've been wanting to get.. though i really need to build one of the 4 kits i already have.. (HG OZ-06MS Leo, a HG Turn A Gundam, an older pre-HG MRC-F20 SUMO kit in silver, and a HGUC Rx-98-2)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #858 on: 30 July 2023, 23:55:41 »
one i've been wanting to get.. though i really need to build one of the 4 kits i already have.. (HG OZ-06MS Leo, a HG Turn A Gundam, an older pre-HG MRC-F20 SUMO kit in silver, and a HGUC Rx-98-2)

My local Gunpla retailer just had stacks for them for a long time, so I bought a few. They're simple to build and not particularly well-articulated. I think the Cold Districts and Colony Command variants are very similar, but I prefer the Colony Command for its dual beam saber and curved shield giving it a bit of a Sniper vibe (minus the visor). The bullpup with the vertical magazine is also easier to pose with than the Cold Districts SMG.

The Leo has great articulation, although the immobile head is kinda funny.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #859 on: 31 July 2023, 04:01:35 »
the one i want to get is the kit for the GM ground type from 8th MS team.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #860 on: 31 July 2023, 06:06:50 »
So what 'Mechs does Niops produce at the Workshop?  I'm thinking of buying some Highlanders and building a company around them, and going with Niops as a faction for them. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #861 on: 31 July 2023, 08:50:24 »
the one i want to get is the kit for the GM ground type from 8th MS team.

Kit #202? That is a good one - actually the first Gunpla kit I built! I think it had a lot in common with the Ez8 and the BB Ground Gundam, especially with the arm articulation, but I much prefer the GM visors to the fiddly eye stickers of Gundam kits.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #862 on: 31 July 2023, 16:46:24 »
So what 'Mechs does Niops produce at the Workshop?  I'm thinking of buying some Highlanders and building a company around them, and going with Niops as a faction for them.
All I've found on Sarna (so far) is Nighthawk PA(L).  No mention of 'mech production yet...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #863 on: 31 July 2023, 19:34:48 »

Prior to their destruction, the only named designs mentioned as being produced by the Workshops are the Highlander, the Black Knight, the Burke Defense Tank, according to Field Manual: Periphery - don't ask for an exact page number, because my paper copy is in storage.  There are implications that an SLDF heavy aerospace fighter was also produced, but the design was never named.  It was not stated that these were the only designs that the Workshops could produce, just that they're the only ones actually named.  Tech Readout 3075 also adds the Nighthawk PA(L) in a couple varieties, indicating that production started in 3071.  There are purportedly a total of 16 Nighthawks still in use in Niops in 3150, serving as security forces on Niops VII.

Note that, post-Jihad, the Workshops are destroyed and, as of Field Manual 3150, they had not been rebuilt, forcing the Niops Association Militia to use whatever units still survived, whatever Blakist designs they could presumably salvage, and what they could buy on the open market, so at that point, it's vastly open to interpretation.  Note that not even the Periphery General MUL list is useful here, given that Niops is too small a faction to even be tracked there, and that list is more of a supplemental to the dedicated lists for the tracked individual Periphery factions.

Personally, the way I'm selecting forces for my local Alpha Strike league, where I'm playing a Niopian unit is to use the Terran Hegemony and SLDF General lists from the Star League era, to which I'd add the Periphery General list for any era after the Jihad - we're only allowed one list for our game, and the Terran Hegemony list gave me an interesting variety of units, ranging from a handful of Royals to a few Primitives.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #864 on: 01 August 2023, 06:14:07 »
Well, making a lance of two Black Knights and two Highlanders is an option, but yeah I'd look at the Star League for units and go from there.

I just bought a buttload of Lyran 'Mechs, so I'll put the Niops buy on hold, but I think I can come up with a company for them.  Assault lance as mentioned above, plus a medium lance and a light lance of SLDF equipment.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #865 on: 01 August 2023, 13:53:41 »
i tend to assume they had the ability to produce all sorts of SLDF units, and that their manufacturing labs were an outgrowth of their maintenance facilities for the garrison they were left. and that the black knights and highlanders were just the two designs they decided to focus on when they decided they needed to expand their mech forces.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #866 on: 09 August 2023, 09:59:52 »
The original Periphery Sourcebook from FASA just shrugs and says, 'Just use the Comstar list.'

Though I think the SLDF general list is a safe bet. That's what I did for mine. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #867 on: 09 August 2023, 18:34:35 »
True that! ;D

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #868 on: 10 August 2023, 09:50:50 »
I also think there's potential to slip in SLDF Royal mechs... but that might be a little too OP.

However if you're facing Jihad or IlClan era stuff you may want that equalizer.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #869 on: 13 August 2023, 17:57:43 »
The Dagger-L grunt suit from Gundam Seed painted up in... I dunno. Something vaguely Niops-inspired and weathered  :cheesy: