Author Topic: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)  (Read 167845 times)

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
Re: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)
« Reply #1110 on: 16 June 2018, 21:43:28 »
The initial loadout is fine for that mission, if you're a bit cautious in your approach and don't get eaten by Strikers and turrets early.  If you should chance upon some Firestarter salvage, though, that'd be preferred to the Spider on that mission.  Lunar environment allows you to pressure the enemy with those flamers...

And remind the screaming inner science nerd that battlemech flamers dont run on napalm but tapped engine plasma, so yes, they work in a vaccum.  When that nerd starts talking about plasma expanding into a puff of hot gas, remind him more stronglh about giant stompy robots and how cool they are, which is why he became a science nerd in the first place.  :)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #1111 on: 16 June 2018, 22:03:06 »
On my second run through I took the Blackjack, Vindi, Shad and a Panther I had salvaged.

I found it much easier than the first run through when I used the original four mechs (first 3 plus the Spider instead of the Panther). The Panther gave me the extra punch that helped take out vehicles and turrets quickly before they could cause too much damage on my units. It also helped make short work of the Pirate mechs - none of my mechs even took internal damage this time.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1112 on: 17 June 2018, 04:34:00 »
I think I still had a Spider at that point, but I'd modified it to have two Small Lasers and max leg armor.  It was very much a Striker killer...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1113 on: 17 June 2018, 13:15:05 »
Argh... lost another 'mech to that 'mech bay crash glitch.  What I can't figure out is how the other 'mech I assembled was still there when I reloaded.  Weird.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #1114 on: 17 June 2018, 14:29:20 »
Same question as in the technical thread; Anyone know how to change the event weights? I'm getting sick of eating fake whale meat.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1115 on: 17 June 2018, 17:52:08 »
Same question as in the technical thread; Anyone know how to change the event weights? I'm getting sick of eating fake whale meat.

The game has an app called EventEditor (which is found in your game's BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\editors folder; there is a slight issue with it, in that it tries to call .png image files (which are stored in the Illustrations folder as .dds files) causing an exception error which shouldn't? cause any actual issues with using it.

Alternately, you can edit the json directly.  Either way, the file is called event_co_cratesOfMistakes.json.

Hideyori

• Private
« Reply #1116 on: 18 June 2018, 10:32:58 »
Is there a trick to the istrom campaign?   I keep getting my butt handed to me....

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1117 on: 18 June 2018, 17:45:30 »
Basically, do exactly what the NPCs tell you to... close each silo as close as you can before making visual contact with the defenders.  You basically have one turn each to kill the four defenders, with one extra round for clean up. Are you bringing sufficient fire power to kill a 'mech/vehicle per turn?

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1118 on: 18 June 2018, 19:33:36 »
Do for the Argo mission I went with the initial loadout.  I put both my character and Behemoth in medical but managed to salvage the SHD-2H from the fight and get a stripped down CNT.  I don't remember it being stripped down last time.

That raises a question for me?  Are the earned 'Mechs, a CNT, a DRG, and the HGN?  Did I miss one, maybe a GRF?

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1119 on: 18 June 2018, 19:58:48 »
There's a 1.1 patch in beta: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-battletech-update-1-1-release-notes.1106263/

They're definitely paying attention to what mods Morph is putting out, because a lot of this will look familiar.

Not so short form:

1.  Settings are being updated. 
  Most notably, you'll be able to customise your own difficulty.  The listed ones are: 
  - Lethality: If on, incapacitated pilots are killed regardless of Med Bay or Guts.
  - 'Mech Destruction: Coring produces 0/3 salvage - and your own cored 'Mechs are removed from your Mech Bay. 
  - No Rare Salvage: No more free + weapons and gear (immersive; if the Opfor isn't using a Delta LRM-15++, why should you get one from them?) 
  - Sliders for EXP-per-mission, Opfor relative strength, and contract payouts (cb and salvage.)

2.  Campaign creation options: 
  These may be set when you start a new campaign.
  - Ironman (disables saves other than a single rolling auto-save.) 
  - Empty 'Mechs (disables Yang's magical ability to instantly give you a stock 'Mech out of spam.) 
  - Needed salvage parts (changes the needed salvage chunks from 3 to 5, as RogueTech does.)

3.  Speed tweaks to speed up single-player combat. (No effect on MO skirmishes.)  This includes using Spacebar to accelerate animations.

4.  MechLab QoL improvements, including the ability to shop (if available) from within the MechLab interface.

5.  More events and event fixes.

6.  Balance changes.  I'll try to summarise: 
  - Contracts: Improves Darius's intel, and also makes worlds have a 2-skull tolerance when populating contracts.  Also some fixes to those memetic reinforcement lances
  - Called shots with multi-hit weapons are nerfed via diminishing returns. 
  - Stability now depends on weight class (with mediums getting 130, heavies 160, and assaults 200), as does passive recovery from stab damage. 
  - However, lights get more size modifier against being hit. 
  - Nearly all weapons had a buff (reduction) to their heat value. 

----

The heat mods (nerfs are bolded):

Energy:
 - PPC: 40 -> 35 
 - ERLL: 40 -> 25 (!! Kamea so happy) 
 - LL: 30 -> 18 (!! Almost a viable weapon!)
 - MPL: 25 -> 16 
 - ML: 10 -> 12

Ballistic: 
  - AC/2: 5 -> 4 
  - AC/5: 10 -> 8 
  - AC/10: 15 -> 12 
  - AC/20: 25 -> 24

Missiles: 
  - LRM-10: 12 -> 10 
  - LRM-15: 15 -> 14 
  - SRM-6: 14 -> 12 
  - SRM-2: 6 -> 4

Support: 
  - SL: 5 -> 6 
  - Flamer ammo: 6 -> 4

There are also miscellaneous AI tweaks, and bug fixes including the 'Mech Eater, the Drunken Darius voiceovers, and the Ace Pilot soft-lock.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1120 on: 18 June 2018, 20:01:23 »
Do for the Argo mission I went with the initial loadout.  I put both my character and Behemoth in medical but managed to salvage the SHD-2H from the fight and get a stripped down CNT.  I don't remember it being stripped down last time.

That raises a question for me?  Are the earned 'Mechs, a CNT, a DRG, and the HGN?  Did I miss one, maybe a GRF?

The only free-and-clear 'Mechs are the CN9-A, HGN-732b, and (at the end of the campaign) the AS7-D-HT.

There's a different concept, wherein certain of the Restoration worlds will spawn infinite salvage parts for certain stock 'Mechs in their shops; the Griffin and Dragon are among those.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 20:04:04 by Sandslice »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1121 on: 18 June 2018, 20:17:09 »
And here I was thinking those boosted weapons WERE being used against me during missions...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1122 on: 18 June 2018, 20:17:23 »
[quote/]  - No Rare Salvage: No more free + weapons and gear (immersive; if the Opfor isn't using a Delta LRM-15++, why should you get one from them?) 
[/quote]

When you fight certain missions later on, its not surprising the NPCs are using that- especially the assassinate missions.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #1123 on: 19 June 2018, 01:04:37 »
  'Mech Destruction: Coring produces 0/3 salvage
Sounds like a great way to remove undesireable salvage from the pool.

- No Rare Salvage: No more free + weapons and gear (immersive; if the Opfor isn't using a Delta LRM-15++, why should you get one from them?)

I had assumed the equipment was used and awarded when salvaged... I just hadn't checked through reloads.
Though, does this imply rare equipment would only be obtained through store purchases?

« Last Edit: 19 June 2018, 01:09:41 by Hythos »
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1124 on: 19 June 2018, 03:22:34 »
Sounds like a great way to remove undesireable salvage from the pool.

I had assumed the equipment was used and awarded when salvaged... I just hadn't checked through reloads.
Though, does this imply rare equipment would only be obtained through store purchases?

Yeah, that's the intent of the setting.

And an unfortunate update: apparently, the "Mech Destruction" setting does *not* remove the ability to get 1/3 salvage from coring your opponent; it only works against you, completely destroying your 'Mechs if they get cored.  I just tested it by getting an early "gravy mission" and intentionally coring all the 'Mechs.  They still yielded partials, despite the setting's tooltip suggesting that it'd be for any 'Mech.

Some other things in the update:

- For the campaign-initial settings, you can change the partials needed to have Yang magically build a 'Mech between 3, 5, and 8. 
- Contract parameters have Stingy, Normal, and Generous settings, which affect your game economy accordingly. 
- Pilot experience gains can only be slowed relative to default, not sped up; there are two settings for slower.

And a really nifty thing: you can reset a couple things about yourself and generic (non-ronin, non-backer) pilots:

- Name and callsign 
- Gender (via pronoun settings, of course) 
- Appearance (ie, you can rebuild the entire portrait) 
- Voice pack (for generic pilots, not your protagonist) - the packs are numbered, with the first 13 being the female voices, and 14-26 being the male voices.

In exchange, Dekker, Glitch, Behemoth, and Medusa have become ronin.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2018, 03:29:46 by Sandslice »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1125 on: 19 June 2018, 07:38:10 »
Unless I'm mistaken, that means they'll all require more pay...

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #1126 on: 21 June 2018, 17:48:05 »
Going through it right now, looking at all of Mr. Loose's re-imaginings of his original vehicles...my god, they're so beautiful...(TRO: 3026 has always been my favorite artwork.)
I love the KotIS-styled Atlas. And I'm sad that we didn't get the REAL Atlas II they had in the artbook.

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1127 on: 21 June 2018, 20:39:31 »
still working on first play through , I just brained a grasshopper with a guass weapon shot  and it didnt give me but 1/3 of the salvage possible, and the mission produced 2 grasshoppers to attack one I chewed up the second was a lucky shot.  I have 2 members of my team maxed out training wise ( and one has almost 100000 points extra lol. running my highlander 2 orions ( though salvaging anda either a catapult  or a thunderbolt as my last mech depending on repair state lol..

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1128 on: 21 June 2018, 21:00:05 »
Grasshopper as a super Firestarter . . . so much fun.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #1129 on: 21 June 2018, 21:46:18 »
I went the other way with my Grasshopper, gave it a PPC and 4x ML so that it could help with stab damage to get the knockdown and then get in close to administer the coup de grace.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1130 on: 21 June 2018, 23:38:59 »
So with the decision, I am now looking for the next expansion that brings in Crusaders, Archers, Warhammers, Marauders and Phoenix Hawks.
Colt Ward

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1131 on: 22 June 2018, 00:21:57 »
So with the decision, I am now looking for the next expansion that brings in Crusaders, Archers, Warhammers, Marauders and Phoenix Hawks.
Rifleman, not Crusader (which isn't even in MWO yet.)  And I'd temper the excitement over that, in case HBS is still enjoined from using those particular 'Mechs despite the PGI outcome.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1132 on: 22 June 2018, 00:24:43 »
I'm pretty happy modding the arm hardpoints for the Jagermech to make a Rifleman proxy.

Rifleman, not Crusader (which isn't even in MWO yet.)  And I'd temper the excitement over that, in case HBS is still enjoined from using those particular 'Mechs despite the PGI outcome.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1133 on: 22 June 2018, 01:09:07 »
So, I made a cheap-ass 3025 tech Salamander - the PPC Highlander can mount two missile launchers on the left arm.  Mine has 3 LRM 20s (a +, ++, and +++ currently), and two medium lasers, plus enough heat sinks that it can fire the LRM racks and only go up a little bit of heat, and a whole mess of ammo.  The jump jets also got discarded.  It's been working out pretty good, but I'm thinking of removing some armour to get another ton of ammo in there - it draws very little fire and I've run it dry twice.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1134 on: 22 June 2018, 15:22:40 »
N/M.  Posted in wrong thread.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #1135 on: 22 June 2018, 18:50:07 »
Salalander  :thumbsup:

I was trying to figure out what would be next after my Orion Longbow (3x LRM15++, 2x ML). That Salalander would be perfect as an Assault LRM Boat. Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #1136 on: 22 June 2018, 21:33:58 »
Also has anyone noticed how ridiculous the amount of livable real estate is in the Coromodir system? Two inhabitable planets and an inhabitable moon?!

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1137 on: 23 June 2018, 08:15:49 »
Also has anyone noticed how ridiculous the amount of livable real estate is in the Coromodir system? Two inhabitable planets and an inhabitable moon?!
See Honorverse, Manticore System.

On topic and certainly in the category of wishful thinking, I was hoping to wake up to a pleasant surprise from HBS in the category of a Classics patch.  I'm fully aware that is a highly unlikely thought at this early juncture but it was nice to consider for a moment.  It might even cause me to restart another campaign.

Speaking of which, I'm not nearly as underfunded and desperate my second go through.  Would that have anything to do with a Steiner background?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1138 on: 23 June 2018, 08:36:21 »
I'm loving the new events from the patch as well. Pretty sure my crew was getting tired of the Triple F burgers.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1139 on: 23 June 2018, 12:48:44 »
I'm loving the new events from the patch as well. Pretty sure my crew was getting tired of the Triple F burgers.

As far as I can tell, they aren't actually *new* events.  They were in the code even before 1.1, but just weren't being called; this was a combination of bad coding and the fact that all events had had an equal weight.

Now these situational events have a weight of 40, making them much more likely when their situations arise.  Pilot keywords (beyond just Tech) become a lot more interesting as well; do you really want to hire that awesome backer or ronin who may be something of a headcase, or the less capable one who's almost certainly a bookworm?

Register