Author Topic: Is MW5 worth getting?  (Read 8769 times)

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Re: Is MW5 worth getting?
« Reply #30 on: 29 December 2019, 15:32:56 »
Was about to say, I tried it with a KB&M as well as a controller... And the controller was, hands down, the absolute most unplayable way to even attempt doing anything in this game.

Like, I'm pretty sure I'd have an easier time with throttle and sticks.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2019, 15:34:55 by Caedis Animus »

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 29 December 2019, 21:21:07 »
Was about to say, I tried it with a KB&M as well as a controller... And the controller was, hands down, the absolute most unplayable way to even attempt doing anything in this game.

Like, I'm pretty sure I'd have an easier time with throttle and sticks.

Agreed, I about got smoked by a Spider and some light tanks trying to use a controller in a 1 difficulty assassination mission. I was in a stock Dragon 1N.

I am finding out now that I beat the campaign that SRMs are king. Little late, lol. Javelin 10N, with JJ stripped, armor, and heat sinks added, just deletes other lights and tears apart mediums. Kintaro 19 is a beast too. Banshee in an assassination mission died in seconds. Since pretty much every fight devolves into a brawl.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 30 December 2019, 08:02:39 »
I am finding out now that I beat the campaign that SRMs are king. Little late, lol. Javelin 10N, with JJ stripped, armor, and heat sinks added, just deletes other lights and tears apart mediums. Kintaro 19 is a beast too. Banshee in an assassination mission died in seconds. Since pretty much every fight devolves into a brawl.

Imagine my surprise when I was running a Gridiron Hunchback with an M-7 Gauss Rifle and discovered that the stock SRM6 was far more lethal than a tier 4 gauss in 3018. I also have a SRM22 Kintaro-18 that might be nice except for the fact that it runs hotter than hell's saunas. Utterly devastates even tanky mediums/heavies in a few volleys.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 30 December 2019, 10:46:46 »
Get a Golden Boy Kintaro.

Seriously, facehug and watch your enemies get deleted. Brings back memories of my SRM Huntsman from MWO.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #34 on: 30 December 2019, 11:04:37 »
Reminds me of the old locust trick from the original mechwarrior

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 30 December 2019, 16:53:54 »
Is there reason why lostech is unleashed in 3018? Is not in campaign/career mode right?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 31 December 2019, 05:33:29 »
Is there reason why lostech is unleashed in 3018? Is not in campaign/career mode right?
It's deffo in campaign/career. But it's pretty uncommon and/or rare until 3030+ or so, unless you insist upon buying and stripping every Hero Mech you come across.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 31 December 2019, 06:43:52 »

I just stumbled across the tier 4 GRwhile shopping on Terra for better pilots. The Gridiron comes with a GR, but it is only tier 1. Not that there is a huge difference between the different tiers though. But yes, the best source of early game LosTech is picking up a hero mech. Unlike normal mechs/variants, they aren't gated behind the timeline.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 03 January 2020, 10:12:12 »
If you're in the mood to do a lot of pinpoint damage at respectable range (i.e. beyond SRM Hulk Smash distance) the Cataphract Hero, Ilya Muromets has a set of three medium ballistic hardpoints and tonnage to fill them with AC/5 and LB 10-X. Tier 1 AC/5s and Tier 3 LB 10-X has virtually the same rate of fire as well.

Just sayin'.

I've been having some real fun ravaging lights at the range where they tend to run straight in at you, popping annoying VTOLs/vees and generally making myself into a ballistic-heavy menace to society. It is reasonably fast, well-armored, carries plenty of ammo and backup lasers, with very good heat management. The downside is much of your firepower is in both arms, which makes shielding fairly ineffective, but as long as you're fast and accurate, with a decent sense for positioning, it isn't too big of a disadvantage.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #39 on: 21 January 2020, 18:02:31 »
Because like every other video game spinoff they could give a flying purple fish about the game universe, its timeline, technologies, or much of anything else, since they always seem to base things on the cover art instead of the board game itself?
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #40 on: 25 January 2020, 03:43:47 »
https://mw5mercs.com/news/2020/01/25-mw5-mercs-patch

Patch Jan 28th

Greetings Mercenaries

The latest patch details have arrived with improvements and bug fixes. We will be Patching Wednesday, Jan 29th at 12 PM PST (Noon)

We will also be hosting a Dev Update next week (details will be posted next week) so look for exciting information on what the future holds for MechWarrior 5 to be revealed then!

The MechWarrior 5 Team

General Improvements

You can now sell 'Mechs directly from cold storage!
Created a default joystick button binding template for supported joysticks based on the Thrustmaster button layout
Adding the ability to change Anti-Aliasing Modes
Social overlay subheadings can now be collapsed
Created separate movement controls for the drop ship navigation and 'Mech controls

Gameplay / Mission Fixes

Mission "Intriguing Offer" now has a warning in the transmission that accepting this quest will cancel out any other active mission
Federated Commonwealth no longer has allegiance to any other faction
Davion contracts against Federated Commonwealth are no longer possible
Federated Commonwealth now has its own unique selection of 'Mechs
Removed Comstar as a potential enemy for (non-quest) procedural missions
Periphery is no longer set to have allegiance to Independent
Magistracy of Canopus now uses the Periphery icon
Fixed an issue where a DropShip was arriving over a specific garrison and clipping through buildings

Mission / Reward Fixes

Mission "Cost of Freedom" - The correct opponent faction now displayed on the post-mission screen
"Blood and Treasure" Story Quest now produces ammo for the LosTech it rewards
Completing mission "The Shadow Coup" now rewards the correct pilot
Mission "A Dragon in Sheep's Clothing" - User can no longer claim rewards after completing Part 2 (must complete Part 3)
Mission "Pirate Hunt" - Completing Part 3 now grants the completion rewards
Tier 0 Burst Fire AC/10 now has correct salvage shares

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where Narc on an enemy turret displayed an incorrect HUD indicator
Audio - Hitting TAB to close the pause menu no longer causes the audio to remain muted
Instant Action - Users can no longer get stuck on a black screen if they press Tab or Esc in the Paint 'Mech menu
Tutorial - Unable to complete 'Press "A" and "D" to turn' when certain joysticks are plugged in the PC
Fixed an issue where some users were unable to look around using the mouse

Co-op Fixes and Improvements

Epic Online Services - Upgrade to EOS SDK 1.3
Clients are no longer able to advance time on host campaign when healing an injured pilot
Clients can now always access the pre-drop screen by clicking the contract button along the top menu bar when a mission is queued
Custom paint will no longer revert to the previous state if another client submits a work order and completes it
Player name will no longer become a random number if not connected to EOS
Social will now update when removing the last friend from your friends list
Clients no longer see empty brackets in campaign when Rare weapons or 'Mechs are for sale
Clients no longer see a menu overlapping the Post Mission stats when connecting while host is on this screen
On the drop screen itself, there is now an icon to show which player is readied up
Fixed an issue where the client was unable to join host campaign if they have a large inventory

'Mech Related Fixes

'Mech Hitbox Tuning Pass for the following chassis:
Banshee
Kintaro
UrbanMech
Crab
Highlander - HGN-HM - Equipping a Narc to the second LT slot no longer places the weapon in front of its head
Nightstar - Fixed the Cockpit so it is no longer tilted to the left
Annihilator - ANH-2A - Destroying either arm will no longer show weapons floating in the air
Shadowhawk left arm laser texture fixed
Cicada - Cockpit bounce has been improved
Thunderbolt TDR-9SE - Upper rear RT no longer does damage to the front
Faction Camo - Taurian Concordat now has correct Primary, Secondary, Tertiary colours set

Text and Localization Fixes

Fixed some incorrect mission descriptions
Fixed some long, incorrect, or missing translations (German, French, Russian)
Cold Storage & Market sorting by class, name or tonnage now works in any language

Stability and Performance

Fixed some crashes on loading screens
Fixed a case where users would hang in instant action loading screen due to glitched friend request
Drop Preparation Screen - no longer able to switch tabs with the abort popup on-screen (this would result in being stuck)

Art and Levels - Multiple fixes and improvements

Fixed floating art and game objects in some missions
Fixed level of detail settings on some art assets
Fixed texture resolution on some art assets
Fixed collision and stuck locations in some levels and missions
Fixed issues with some objects spawning under the terrain
Fixed a tutorial checkpoint issue

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #41 on: 25 January 2020, 09:10:49 »
JEEBUS - FINALLY!

General Improvements

You can now sell 'Mechs directly from cold storage!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada