Author Topic: Mech of the month?: KPH- Kheper  (Read 2113 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Mech of the month?: KPH- Kheper
« on: 08 August 2023, 20:04:40 »

In the wake of the Word of Blake Jihad, everyone had had enough of ComStar's issues and thus it was determined that they could no longer be trusted to have a military force, resulting in the Com Guard being disbanded.

Of course, ComStar being ComStar, they couldn't leave things alone and thus in the early 3130s, Republic intelligence was shocked to discover that ComStar had been producing new mechs and dropships.  Even worse, their newest medium mech showed clear design aesthetics based on the infamous Celestial Omnis.  After tracking down the source of these new machines, the Republic armed forces quickly crushed Comstar's upstarts and claimed their designs for the Republic's use.

At 55 tons, the Kheper sits in the same weight bracket known for many famous mechs like the Griffin, Wolverine, and Shadow Hawk.  Like them, it's built as a multi-role machine that can comfortably perform a wide variety of roles, though its lack of jump jets or hand actuators does cause some restrictions.  Only one configuration exists, the KPH-7R, which is considered an Advanced rules mech due to the presence of a variable-speed pulse laser.

Powered by a 275XL engine, it moves at a comfortable 86 kph, though by the time it was first deployed this was beginning to be somewhat on the slow side for a medium mech.  Twelve Nine tons of light ferro fibrous armor provide it with good but not fantastic protection- its arms and side torsos can each absorb a single gauss rifle impact, the legs can take an AC 20 hit, and the center torso can withstand three IS large laser strikes.  Given the firepower often seen on a modern battlefield, that means it's not going to stand up long to direct fire in a pitch battle, but it probably won't instantly disintegrate, either.

And that takes us to weaponry.  The right arm mounts the mech's main firepower- a tried and true Gauss Rifle fed by two tons of ammunition.  Opposite it in the left arm sits an MML-7, also fed by a two ton bin.  Together they can force a PSR on a good cluster roll, but most of the time you'll probably fall a few points short.  CASE II protects both the GR and the missile ammo.  Supporting these weapons as the mech draws closer are a trio of lasers, none of which are the same.  First, in the left torso sits an ER Medium Laser that can start poking things once the fight reaches medium range.  A little closer and the head-mounted Medium X-Pulse Laser can join the fight.  Finally, the previously-mentioned Small Variable-Speed Pulse Laser in the right torso gives it slightly more power at point blank range.  This array of weapons only generates 19 heat on a standing alpha strike, so heat doesn't become much concern unless infernos or plasma weapons are on the battlefield or you start taking engine hits.  And that's actually a lot of firepower for a purely-Inner Sphere mech its size.

If quirks are in play, this mech has Bad Reputation and Easy To Maintain, so no effect on the actual battlefield.  Originally found in the Com Guard, it was quickly turned into a Republic of the Sphere mech and following the Battle for Terra became a mercenary design as many Republic troops left.  We'll have to wait and see about whether or not this design ends up getting built by another faction or if the fall of the Republic triggers its fading into obscurity.

Fighting with one is pretty straight-forward: poke enemies at long range and blast them freely at short range.  Like most mediums, it works best in a group, especially since it can't jump and consequently gets slowed down by terrain more.  Fighting one, also straight forward- shoot it.  Observer your unit's range vs those of the Kheper and make decisions based on that regarding getting closer or moving away.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2023, 09:21:26 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
Re: Mech of the month?: KPH- Kheper
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2023, 21:45:17 »
Thanks for the article! The Kheper seems like a pretty reasonable trooper 'Mech, capable of putting up a fight against even larger 'Mechs. And the MML provides good flexibility.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2023, 22:23:01 »
Yeah, it overall feels like a very well-rounded trooper mech.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2023, 23:29:10 »
Yeah, it overall feels like a very well-rounded trooper mech.

Except for the sin that the armor over an XL engine isn't maxed. 80% armor overall, and the side torsos are notably weak for the weight. That relegates this fellow to spots where the temperature is lower.

Team player, not trooper. Backline with a bite

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2023, 02:29:25 »
I find XL engine concerns are vastly overblown by people, so I would want to play with it to see how much it really matters
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2023, 02:36:02 »
The article says 12 tons of LFFA... Given that is more than a 55-ton mech can carry, I figure that is not correct?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2023, 09:20:50 »
Should have been 9 tons, don't know where the 12 came from. Fixed now.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2023, 09:31:20 »
Ugh, the worst VSPL?  Give it a X or normal for anti-infantry duties and put that wasted tonnage into armor.  Did it use any other weight saving tech besides LLF & XL engine?
 Seems like it would have some crits available though I am not looking at a RS.  Otherwise I like the weapons mix which is close to the heavier Excalibur's Gauss Rifle & LRM10 moving at 5/8- heck the armor is probably pretty close too!

I like the looks, definitely the Celestial feel without all the trouble of those . . . spikes?  Interestingly even the name seems to fit-
The word “kheper” means “to emerge” or “to come into being”.
Which refers to scarab beetles, affiliated with sunrise & the Egyptian's creator god- this makes it very symbolic of the ComGuard's restoration/emergence in the 32nd century.  Not to surprising since ComGuard has been at times very good about symbolism.  Does this have a mini yet?

I hope this design sticks around into the ilClan era- perhaps sold to the Sea Foxes, give it a Clan Gauss rifle and you can either boost mobility (JJ), armor, or increase the missile options.  I think they would find a long list of buyers in the merc market.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2023, 09:34:53 »
Ugh, the worst VSPL?  Give it a X or normal for anti-infantry duties and put that wasted tonnage into armor.  Did it use any other weight saving tech besides LLF & XL engine?

Yes, Endo-Steel and an XL Gyro.  It's fully crit-packed.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2023, 09:55:23 »
I think the SVSPL is the best of the bunch... Which admittedly isn't saying much since I find VSPLs to be extremely niche weapons.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2023, 10:12:37 »
Yes, Endo-Steel and an XL Gyro.  It's fully crit-packed.

Yeah, Light FF made me wonder but I did not see that listed.  The comparison with the Excalibur at 70 tons, it has a SL Gauss Rifle, LRM10, and Artemis IV for a 5/8 mech with about 70% of armor- I know going smaller you would save on the engine and might get comparable armor levels but the Kheper has the laser array to consider too.   Those weight saving techs makes it sound more reasonable.

I think the SVSPL is the best of the bunch... Which admittedly isn't saying much since I find VSPLs to be extremely niche weapons.

For it's limited range I find the weight used to be excessive.  They are, IMO, definitely cavalry unit weapons where you can set the range you want to use on a target . . . I LOVE the Scapha that has a pair of Med VSPL.  I wish we had gotten a Wraith with a Large VSPL with the same movement as the original.  I think one of the 'missing' Havoc variants would be awesome with Med VSPL and something like the MASC/SC combo.  But it is not something I reach for, I would rather have a Small X-Pulse.

But the weight for a Small VSPL that is IMO the token anti-infantry weapon on such a trooper?  Better off with one of the other two models and using the extra mass for armor.  Granted a ton is not a lot freed up, but that would improve the armor levels on the torso.

Edit-  Weight discussion
« Last Edit: 10 August 2023, 11:33:14 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2023, 10:25:51 »
The way I see it VSPLs are really only useful on their short range band, outside that standard or X-pulse is better. And since the SVSPL and MVSPL has the same short range but the SVSPL is a bit better at damage/ton and heat that's what I prefer.

This assumes the VSPLs are the short-range battery on a bracket-fire machine, thought. Otherwise I'd take a heavier one so I can shoot farther - but then I wouldn't take a VSPL at all, I'd take an X-pulse...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2023, 11:17:02 »
The way I see it VSPLs are really only useful on their short range band, outside that standard or X-pulse is better. And since the SVSPL and MVSPL has the same short range but the SVSPL is a bit better at damage/ton and heat that's what I prefer.

This assumes the VSPLs are the short-range battery on a bracket-fire machine, thought. Otherwise I'd take a heavier one so I can shoot farther - but then I wouldn't take a VSPL at all, I'd take an X-pulse...

waaayyy way back in the day, when Pulse was new(ish) and turning up on everything, I found that the range loss on the IS pulse lasers didn't get made up by having better to-hits in 90% of engagements.

Heresy, I know.  what I found was that the bonus to hit wasn't enough, until you got to 'standing in the other guy's boots' range.

but the weight? That was a problem, for the same mass, you could have a PPC, or you could have an IS LPL that is outranged by a Medium Laser, and you're likely going to be firing that standard PPC far more often, even with 10 heat instead of 9, and by the time you get to where that LPL can even TRY to hit, it's medium range for the Peeper, which hits harder when it hits.

same at the Medium point, and the smalls? outranged by a machinegun.

In the case of the medium and small, both weigh about half, meaning you get more chances to hit (if you've got the heat curve) and more potential damage from hits (able to use more than one of them at a time) further out (earlier shots).

VSP really feels like the same deal-the advantages are very niche, the price is high, and most of those advantages can be matched or overcome by something cheaper and more reliable, that is also more common and available.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2023, 11:58:54 »
The Black Knight is the perfect example platform for what you mean IMO Cannonshop- the BK9 has MPLs while the BK12 has ERMLs and a TC . . . the BK12 sacrifices 1 point of damage, a -1 TH, and 1 point less heat for twice the range, which is worth it.

The Variables make that calculation more difficult because damage & TH benefits increase as you get closer.  Yeah, it is heavier than a comparable IS Large, IS Large Pulse, or the X-Pulse by 4 & 2 tons respectively for 1 & 2 points less damage at long range while only being -1 TH against the pulse weapons . . . but at short range it is -3 TH and does 11 points of damage beating the IS Large by 3, the IS Large & X Pulse by 2.  And 11 points is going to go internal on a LOT of mech's backs.

But the Small Pulse also work as Anti-Infantry weapons . . . and the range is already anemic, which is why I said a XPulse would work just fine to save some of the weight.

As is, I like this . . . and might have to proxy one of my smaller Celestials to field some resurgent ComGuards.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2023, 12:45:50 »
I like the mech, probably my favorite out of the newer TROs.

Part of that is the fluff for it, but, the stats are nothing to sneeze at either.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 11 August 2023, 00:33:13 »
I think the order of quality for VSPL is medium, large, with small being a distant last.

Medium is four tons for 9 or 7 damage. Light PPC is 3 tons for 5. Out to range 5 it’s maybe par with an x-pulse laser. Inside 2 is where it shines, not just because the accuracy, but because of the concentration of damage. 9 in one cluster isn’t enough for a cockpit crack, but will go internal on back side torsos for the vast majority of heavies.

The new Spider is one of the scariest things in the RecGuides.

Large is a huge weapon, but has some actual reach; An effective short range of 8 is only slightly less than a snubbie. Not efficient, but effective enough if you're mobile.  Also capable of a cockpit crack at short, or combined with an LB-X pellet a headcap. Enforcer NAIS is excellent for keeping lights off heavier mechs.

When you actually read the rules for VSPL anti-infantry, you find that the small isn’t any better than the medium. Otherwise it is par with a normal medium pulse laser at best. In an era where you have access to medium x-pulse, small x-pulse or medium VSPL I have no idea why you’d take one. I tier it with rifle canons, just bad at its job

an IS LPL that is outranged by a Medium Laser,
Large pulse has range that is marginally better than a vanilla medium if you go by bands, and significantly better if you go by to-hits?
« Last Edit: 11 August 2023, 00:41:30 by Greatclub »

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #16 on: 11 August 2023, 11:13:38 »
I've used the Kheper a couple of times and liked it. It doesn't excel at anything, but does several things well.
I have spoken.

Register