Author Topic: Correct date for Gray Monday - 01 or 07 Aug 3132?  (Read 3874 times)

Frabby

• Major
Correct date for Gray Monday - 01 or 07 Aug 3132?
« on: 29 June 2012, 07:45:12 »
There seems to be conflicting info.

Sarna says the date was 7 August 3132 (in the year article for 3132; there's no Gray Monday article which is why I'm writing one, which in turn is why this question popped up). It doesn't cite a source.
I've been told that this date, according to our current calendar, would be a Sunday though.

The novel "A Bonfire of Worlds" (BattleCorps PDF, part 1, pg. 14) dates Gray Monday to 1 August 3132 instead (which would be a Monday if the other date really is a Sunday).

Which is correct?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Correct date for Gray Monday - 01 or 07 Aug 3132?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2012, 16:02:48 »
Hello,

Bonfire of Worlds is correct. The date was 1 August.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2012, 21:13:35 »
Hello,

Just an FYI: I have been informed (by the author I assigned to work on an upcoming Dark Age product) that A Bonfire of Worlds corrects the 1 August date to 7 August in an PDF proof for the novel, and that the 7 August date was also used in virtually all Dark Age lore except for one novel by Blaine Pardoe. Even the Dark Age short story presented in 25 Years of Art & Fiction gives a 7 August date, so I must correct my earlier statement.

The correct date of the blackout was 7 August 3132. Since it is a Sunday, I'm going to presume the "Gray Monday" name comes from fact that the full impact on communications was not felt until the following day, when the initial attacks and malfunctions largely ended and it was clear that the majority of the Inner Sphere's HPG network was down.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2012, 01:35:09 »
Excellent answer, thanks a lot for the clarification and explanation!  O0
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2014, 05:34:44 »
So we had a clear ruling... until a New Product (Era Digest: Dark Age) came out and says 1 August on the back cover. New products override older publications.

Error, or change?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2014, 07:58:32 »
That's an error.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2014, 11:43:24 »
Yes, I thought so, flipping through the content. Thanks for the clarification.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2014, 11:53:59 »
That's an error.

To expand: That's an error due to me whipping out that text in a hurry so that the book could be released. I realised my brain fart fairly soon after and reported it. It'll be corrected when we get a chance.