Author Topic: ER Medium Lasers  (Read 1686 times)

RevengingHawks

• Recruit
ER Medium Lasers
« on: 14 December 2022, 14:14:27 »
So I've been running some games set in the post-Clan invasion, and one odd thing I noticed is that the Clan ER Medium lasers have the same range modifiers as the plain ol' Inner Sphere Medium Laser (OK/OK/-2/-). I know a lot of details here are abstracted, but usually not to this degree, since in Classic the Clan ER Medium has the same range as the Inner Sphere Large Laser. This gets extra weird if I'm then trying to extrapolate stats for the Inner Sphere ER Medium Laser, since now it's just the Medium Laser with more heat!

I'm probably over-thinking this, but I'm wondering was it a goof? Or just a design choice to bring better parity across the board?

If I were to house rule it, I'd probably make the Clan ER Med be OK/OK/OK/- to keep it out of the truly long-range, but still show it has better accuracy than its IS counterpart.     

smdvogrin

• Corporal
Re: ER Medium Lasers
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2022, 11:01:50 »
So I've been running some games set in the post-Clan invasion, and one odd thing I noticed is that the Clan ER Medium lasers have the same range modifiers as the plain ol' Inner Sphere Medium Laser (OK/OK/-2/-). I know a lot of details here are abstracted, but usually not to this degree, since in Classic the Clan ER Medium has the same range as the Inner Sphere Large Laser. This gets extra weird if I'm then trying to extrapolate stats for the Inner Sphere ER Medium Laser, since now it's just the Medium Laser with more heat!

I'm probably over-thinking this, but I'm wondering was it a goof? Or just a design choice to bring better parity across the board?

If I were to house rule it, I'd probably make the Clan ER Med be OK/OK/OK/- to keep it out of the truly long-range, but still show it has better accuracy than its IS counterpart.     

Since it shares range bands in table top with the standard Large Laser, it would make sense to be OK/OK/-2/-4 like the IS large is.

Register