Author Topic: [Giorgioverse]Master Thread  (Read 10998 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: [Giorgioverse] Mercenary Company Rules & Commands (3025 era)
« Reply #30 on: 01 January 2019, 21:27:12 »
CM: Mercenaries is a great resource for SW era merc lore.  Plus Alpha Strike rules for various companies, to boot.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
Re: [Giorgioverse] Open Campaign Questions II: The Inner Sphere
« Reply #31 on: 01 January 2019, 21:36:40 »
Those worlds are all long-term regimental headquarters, so they can probably make a good showing against an RCT or two. On top of which we add all those regiments Janos is withdrawing from near Terra, and remember that provoking Janos into counterattacking Lyran worlds would be the worst possible outcome.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
Re: [Giorgioverse] Open Player Questions
« Reply #32 on: 01 January 2019, 22:23:13 »
Probably want to ask which RPGs they've played before (if any), to provide context for their answers to B4 and B6.

I feel like B2, B10, B12 and B13 are all asking the same question.

B3) I might rephrase this as "is there a particular place, event, theme or aesthetic in battletech that really grabs you" and tack it onto question B1 (unless the point of question B1 is to gauge their tolerance for deviation from canonical events).

B13) without looking at the "ATOW Companion," I can tell the obvious difference between Black Ops and Exploration, but the rest of those titles don't really tell me anything.

How easy should it be for player characters to die? (Has the player had a character die before, have they played in high-death or low-death campaigns, are cryogenic preservation and magical hospitals a thing, etc) How easy should it be to lose a 'Mech (or other points-dense PC resource)?

Will the baseline for in-game society be Arthurian medieval, or war-is-hell-'Nam, or sci-fi planet-of-the-week, or goofy cartoony, or what?

What's the scope and power level of the campaign? What's the starting point, what's the end point (if any)?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #33 on: 02 January 2019, 02:08:01 »
You might like this link: "Need help with Industry in 3025 "
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=30882.0

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #34 on: 02 January 2019, 09:21:06 »
1) The information found in the Mercanary’s Handbook (FASA 1987, Mechwarrior RPG 1st Ed) for creating and running mercenary companies in the Third and Fourth Succession Wars, is now updated and found in the BT Campaign Operations, Tactical Operations, and Interstellar Operations rulebooks correct?

Campaign Operations has the latest rules for running any force, but yes, this is where you should start.
Strategic Operations has the rules for repairing units.
Interstellar Operations may not be useful to you; I don't know exactly what you're trying to get out of it.

That said, the Mercenary's Handbook, Mercenaries Handbook 3055, and Field Manual: Mercenaries (Revised) books all have stuff in them that you can use as inspiration for your players/games. They're the frosting on the cake though, not the cake itself. (The cake is the Operations books.)

FM: Mercenaries, Revised has the FORM SR 3070A (EQUIPMENT AND SALVAGE INVENTORY) form, for example, which could be useful for accounting. I don't think it's reproduced in Campaign Operations, but I've been wrong before.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Giorgio76

• Private
Re: [Giorgioverse] Giorgioverse Master Thread
« Reply #35 on: 30 January 2019, 18:15:18 »
@All,

Thanks for the replies, I had to put my BT work on hold due to illness, will respond and update the OP when I can. :-[

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #36 on: 30 January 2019, 18:45:36 »
Glad to hear you're coming back... Get well soon!  :)

Giorgio76

• Private
« Reply #37 on: 13 March 2019, 08:30:47 »
Update 3/13/19: Added the entry below to the OP.
[Topic] Warships, Jumpship & Dropship designs creation v2
Does anyone here enjoy creating Warships and Dropships for use in Strategic Operations, Interstellar Operations, and Campaign Operations levels of play, that is available to assist me in creating units  vehicles for my work in progress “Giorgioverse Campaign”?
The designs I have in mind would be evolution of late Star League spaceships, with new designs by Comstar, the Great & Minor Houses of the Inner Sphere/Periphery, and the Clans, but set in a much earlier alternate timeline than in official cannon (being designed, constructed, and fielded in the late 3030s instead of the late 3060s). If this sounds interesting, let me know.
Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

« Last Edit: 13 March 2019, 08:33:55 by Giorgio76 »

Giorgio76

• Private
Re: [Giorgioverse] Alpha Strike via Roll20
« Reply #38 on: 13 March 2019, 08:38:33 »
I don't have experience with roll20, but if you do decide to reevaluate what platform you want to use I'd say VASSAL could work as an online Alpha Strike game platform.

Due to my limited time and capacity to learn multiple software, I will stick to the platforms I am familiar with. ;)

Giorgio76

• Private
Re: [Giorgioverse] Open Campaign Questions II: The Inner Sphere
« Reply #39 on: 13 March 2019, 08:40:04 »
As far as removing plot armor from the 4th Succession War... How did the FS/LC planners not notice all those juicy FWL industrial worlds so close to the border?  Tikonov was nice, but some of those FWL planets would have nicely broadened the shoulder of the combined realm from the other direction.  And we know the DCMS was far more focused on the Dragoons...

Could you give more examples of "Plot Armor" durning this war, I am curious to learn more. :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #40 on: 13 March 2019, 21:08:54 »
Check the Aerospace designs sub-forum for folks willing to lend a hand with space ship design.  There are certainly more than one, and a design challenge will usually pull more out of the woodwork.

As for additional plot armor in the 4SW, the aforementioned Dragoon issue saved most of the Draconis March from plenty of havoc.  Andurien taking so long to get its alliance with the Magistracy going is probably another example.  If Andurien had hit the Capellans during the Davion invasion, they might have actually been able to pull it off and make it stick.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 20 March 2019, 17:32:00 »
Regarding A1 of open campaign questions, there are a couple of wars in that time period between House Davion and House Kurita that are detailed in the starter book Sword and Dragon. I ran that starter book a couple of times; it worked out well each time.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 20 March 2019, 17:36:05 »
C1 of open campaign questions II:

If you are running AToW and AS all in one campaign for the first time, my advice is to only do Mech and vehicle combat to prevent rule overload. Pull out the aerospace stuff only after everything is running smoothly and your players want more rules. 

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 21 March 2019, 00:06:04 »
Open campaign questions 1, A5:

Star Trek did this well in The Next Generation. Captain Picard went undercover to join a band of pirates. The pirate ship had dealings with the Enterprise and ended up getting Commander Riker somehow. It was a few episode event (episodes 156-157) and was titled "Gambit."

Here is a link to the wiki:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambit_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

If you want to deal with pirates in a clever fashion that involves lots of role play, watch Gambit from the Next Generation.