Author Topic: Character Study of the Week: Grinner  (Read 4119 times)

Grey

• Warrant Officer
Character Study of the Week: Grinner
« on: 01 April 2016, 04:46:52 »
Character Study of the Week: Grinner
Who: Grinner
   Aka: The ‘Little 'Mech that Could
What: Wolfhound WFH-1
   Wolfhound IIC (Unique)
When: 3051 - ?? ?? ?? (‘Mechs are functionally immortal with proper care and feeding)
Weapon of Choice: Having Phelan Kell as a pilot

Descended from a short but distinguished line, Grinner is a Wolfhound, a highly capable, well designed Light ‘Mech from a nation famous for favouring Heavies and Assaults, therefore being an oddballish, standout, stepchild of the Lyran military. Thankfully the line was adopted early by the distinguished mercenary units, Wolf’s Dragoons and the Kell Hounds, and it is the latter that take him in.

Assigned to Morgan Kell’s only son Phelan Grinner was named by him after a loyal, heroic dog (which because a plain, ordinary dog can’t be heroic enough might have had a bit of wolf in him, and isn’t that some nice foreshadowing in and of itself) and was off on his first mission, to hunt pirates in the coreward Periphery.

Not a glamorous assignment Grinner didn’t care because he was out doing what a ‘Mech does best: shoot stuff while being big and stompy.

Things do not go exactly according to plan when in the midst of shooting up some of those mean pirates a whole new threat came along and shot the ever living candy out of the rest of the unit.

Determined to make more of a showing of himself Phelan drove Grinner into direct combat with the nastiest Heavy ‘Mech in existence: A Timber Wolf.

Now a Timber Wolf is over twice the size of a Wolfhound, but Grinner didn’t care and as good as that pilot in that ‘Mech was Phelan was better in Grinner, faking him out, having him fire in the wrong directions and having the Timbie dead to rights fired all four forward lasers.

To no effect.

Because part of being the nastiest Heavy ‘Mech in existence is that it’s so heavily armoured that a little Wolfhound on its own isn’t likely to breach the armour without a lot of luck.

It also means it does have enough weapons to breach the Wolfhound’s armour with a minimum of luck.

That happens, Grinner goes boom, but he ejects his whole head in order to save Phelan on an airless rock.

And that could have been the end of poor Grinner, but nice Khan Ulric Kerensky felt the need to reward his student Phelan with a ‘Mech upon earning warrior status. And what better ‘Mech than a rebuilt Grinner, now sparkly and shiny with new Clantech, an act made all the more significant because according to Ulric if Grinner had been speced that way to begin with that Timber Wolf might not have won.

Now Grinner and Phelan return to the Inner Sphere as a part of the invading forces, helping take world after world until Tukkayid, where they again forge victory for Clan Wolf even as the Clans as a whole fail to win the contest.

Phelan continues to pilot Grinner as SaKhan of Clan Wolf and later as Khan of Clan Wolf-In-Exile, though not as much as sometimes little Light ‘Mechs are just too crunchy to face down Heavy or Assault ‘Mechs in single combat, as happened in Operation Bulldog.

But Grinner is there, ever at the ready, waiting the day he can charge forward and do heroic things with Phelan again.

Grinner’s exact stats are a little murky. Within the novels a whole scene is dedicated to Phelan falling to his knees, tears in his eyes, upon seeing his old friend back in shape and upgraded from the original specs to full Clan equipment.

As described by Ranna, Phelan’s really, really, really good friend who really likes being good friends, Grinner has extended range lasers replacing the arm and rear weapons, pulses up the chest lasers, uses every weight saving material the Clans have and adds an Active Probe to the head.

Which is just swell.

However a later sourcebook lists different stats, surprisingly pulsing all the lasers and adding an ECM.

What happened, Grinner?

Regardless Grinner continues on, battering away at all commers, but, sadly, Phelan starts to keep him in the kennel, piloting at various times an Executioner or Timber Wolf during the Refusal War and Operation Bulldog.

Why?

Well, although Grinner is the bestest ‘Mech it can be there are some things he’s just a little too crunchy for, like one on one battles with Dire Wolves.

And while Phelan is the most awesome special pilot Michael Stackpole can make him the writer still has to concede to that pesky reality sometimes.

But Grinner is a humble machine and does not mind these bigger, meaner, but ultimately more sensitive ‘Mechs getting some time to shine with Phelan at their controls. Sharing is caring and Grinner cares to share. Mostly lasers.

And so Grinner waits, somewhere, to be piloted by Phelan again, and perhaps one day be put in a museum or on a shiny pedestal somewhere as a monument to something, and wouldn’t that be just great.

In case it’s not clear, hope everyone enjoyed a little April First levity. ;)

Frabby

• Major
Re: Character Study of the Week: Grinner
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2016, 05:38:09 »
 [applause]  :)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2016, 07:57:17 »
Well done!  ;D

(Also, I hope Grinner suffers the fate its pilot deserved... the old Herb 'slipped on a giant bar of soap' treatment.)  ^-^
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2016, 11:42:46 »
... oh yeah, it's April 1st.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2016, 12:35:03 »
I was expecting it to be on the actual dog :)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2016, 14:26:29 »
That was a genuinely entertaining read
Obviously April, but seeing it done, I could do with an article that describes a person from the viewpoint of their equipment. ;D
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2016, 16:42:20 »
+1 indeed

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2016, 19:08:02 »
Because I started reading these books when I was, what, eleven or so, the Wolfhound (and by extensions Grinner) was one of my favorite Mechs for a long time.  While there are other Mechs I would pick, there is still a special place in the void where my heart should be for Griner.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2016, 19:27:00 »
That was a genuinely entertaining read
Obviously April, but seeing it done, I could do with an article that describes a person from the viewpoint of their equipment. ;D

"Not that plan again, last time, I got my left arm shot off, and we had to repair my Gyro.... please, can we try a better plan this time?"

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2016, 20:19:16 »
As described by Ranna, Phelan’s really, really, really good friend who really likes being good friends, Grinner has extended range lasers replacing the arm and rear weapons, pulses up the chest lasers, uses every weight saving material the Clans have and adds an Active Probe to the head.

Which is just swell.

However a later sourcebook lists different stats, surprisingly pulsing all the lasers and adding an ECM.

What happened, Grinner?

Just a small aside...I'm not positive that my copy of Bloody Legacy is a first printing or anything (though its got a copyright of 1990, so it must be pretty close), but reading the passage when Phelan sees the new Grinner for the first time...

She directed him to look at the 'Mech's head and ears. "The edging on the ears is part of an electronic countermeasures system that will make the 'Mech harder to spot and also able to jam many of the advanced targeting systems used nowadays.

Maybe the fault isn't in Grinner!

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2016, 20:59:15 »
Dammit, I was expecting the dog too XD

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2016, 04:36:47 »
Thank you all, especially for your sufferance. ;)

And I could possibly do Grinner the dog, but that's not suitable joke material, I like dogs and would get a bit teary eyed over his fate.

His heroic, valiant, sacrificial fate. :,(

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2016, 07:01:07 »
You missed the part where he did take on that nasty gargoyle. And won.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2016, 17:04:48 »
honestly, i was surprised that, given how effective the clantech'd wolfhound turned out to be, that Clan Wolf didn't start building Wolfhound IIC's for their 2nd line forces. certainly i would have expected the Wolves in Exlie to have arranged a deal with TharHes Industries to build mixtech "wolfhound-C's" at least, if not full on providing clan structure and weapons materials to make copies of Grinner. TharHes did have factories on world (building the Engineering vehicle at least), and you did have the ArcRoyal Mechworks that could build Wolfhounds (presumably by license) even before the Exiles moved there and upgraded the place.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2016, 17:09:56 by glitterboy2098 »

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer