Author Topic: (Answered) Weak Legs quirk - always roll for every leg?  (Read 3115 times)

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
(Answered) Weak Legs quirk - always roll for every leg?
« on: 23 November 2017, 06:51:33 »
Weak Legs quirk (p. 199 SO, p. 89 BMM) says to roll for a possible critical hit on each leg if the 'Mech with this quirk was kicked or executes a DFA attack. Do I always roll for every 'Mech's leg? What about a leg (legs) that were not damaged (for example the leg, that was not kicked, or leg(s) that were not damaged in the DFA attack - especially likely if the DFA attack failed, but possible even if it succeeded)?

Also if I roll for crits after a failed DFA, shouldn't I also roll for them after falls resulting from displacement to a hex two or more levels lower than I was displaced from?
« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 21:36:24 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Weak Legs quirk - always roll for every leg?
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2017, 21:36:14 »
"Do I always roll for every 'Mech's leg?"

Yes, as it says.

"What about a leg (legs) that were not damaged (for example the leg, that was not kicked, or leg(s) that were not damaged in the DFA attack - especially likely if the DFA attack failed, but possible even if it succeeded)?"

Doesn't matter.

"Also if I roll for crits after a failed DFA, shouldn't I also roll for them after falls resulting from displacement to a hex two or more levels lower than I was displaced from?"

With Weak Legs, you apply damage even on a successful DFA.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2017, 03:38:27 »
"Also if I roll for crits after a failed DFA, shouldn't I also roll for them after falls resulting from displacement to a hex two or more levels lower than I was displaced from?"

With Weak Legs, you apply damage even on a successful DFA.

Rolling for crits on a successful DFA is obvious from the quirk description I was asking about rolling for crits after an  unsuccessful DFA (when you don't take the damage to the legs specifically, only fall damage "[...]as if it [the attacking 'Mech] had fallen 2 levels onto its back[...]" - see the last sentence on p. 37 BMM (or under Falls on p. 150 TW, where it is worded slightly differently, but the meaning is essentially the same), and if you roll for crits after an unsuccessful DFA - should you roll for them in other situations, when you essentially fall from above (as opposed to just "tripping and falling" in a hex the 'Mech was standing in).

From your previous answers I understand, that I roll for leg crits on any DFA (successful or not), but not on falls resulting from other situations. Is it correct?

What about falls caused by damage to a 'Mech attempting DFA applied during Weapons Attack Phase (see Weapon Attack Phase on p. 37 BMM/p. 149 TW)?
« Last Edit: 01 December 2017, 03:49:35 by Alfaryn »

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2017, 10:26:40 »
unsuccessful DFA

No, because you didn't execute a DFA. You merely attempted one.

should you roll for them in other situations, when you essentially fall from above

No, because the Quirk doesn't say you do.

What about falls caused by damage to a 'Mech attempting DFA applied during Weapons Attack Phase

No, because you didn't execute a DFA. You merely attempted one.

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
Re: (Answered) Weak Legs quirk - always roll for every leg?
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2017, 11:16:22 »
In other words "executing a DFA" means "successfully executing it" in the quirk description, not "performing a DFA attack regardless of it's result". This answers my questions. Thank you Paul.

I guess the word "successfully" could be added to the quirk's description for clarity, but since it is such a borderline case, I won't post it in the errata thread and leave it to the errata maintainer (I guess for now it still is Xotl, despite his announcement to step down last September?) to decide to include it or not.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2017, 11:34:01 by Alfaryn »