Author Topic: Hexagon stands for paper standees - A wood carving project.  (Read 3520 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Does this count as a miniature?  ;)

I've had this idea for a while and I would really like to sell these hex bases at some point... issue is I can't really mass produce them because I'm not fast enough. It'll be nice to get some extra cash in these tough times once I figure it out.

Anyway, all of them are made by hand using nothing but hand tools. Template, cut, sand, and eventually some kind of finish. There is a spot for a movement die slightly smaller than a normal d6, each side is marked 1 through 6 for when you have to roll what your facing is during a fall, each side of the base will be a different color to indicate firing arcs, and there is enough space behind the mini for a unit decal. They're also a way to get people into Alpha Strike because you can efficiently track base-to-base, line of sight, same as a normal miniature.

I'll have a follow up to Abou's video on our youtube channel showing the template process... he's way better at this than I am, but I'm determined to make this work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIGkCZFXqYI
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Luciora

• Major
Re: Hexagon stands for paper standees - A wood carving project.
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2020, 23:54:22 »
Looks good!  Better than the old black plastic stands of yore!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2020, 00:02:36 »
I love the idea, and the labour you've poured into them. I can't help but feel you should look at casting them in plaster for mass-production - consider the wood ones masters. That way you're minimising the labour per sale unit.

Give the plaster bases a good spray with coloured paint - red for Kurita, purple for League, mustard for Davion - to show factions.

Would this work for you?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2020, 01:10:56 »
Oh, I like those !!!

I wonder if you could actually use the old cardboard stands from 2E & Reinforcements boxes on little hex bases like that.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2020, 01:16:29 »
they're thinner than the 4E standees so probably

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2020, 07:01:55 »
These could probably work with the AGoAC and Beginner's Box standees as well.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2020, 07:19:16 »
These will be cool to have, and like the vast majority of commercial ventures, their success will depend on how much you charge for them...or if you can make them truly unique, that the novelty of ownership will entice purchases (niche market).

I could get into Inkscape (free downloadable program) and spend less than 5 minutes creating an SVG file to send to then email to a local laser cutter to have very similar items made from MDF or Plywood for fairly cheap, or spend a little extra cash and have them cut in acrylic, as many as I like.

So if you can keep your costs below that, then you will likely sell some...if you're not married to the idea of wood, then Worktroll's suggestion of casts would be a good idea for the stated reason, although I'd go with resin rather than plaster.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2020, 08:24:37 »
I like those!  The spot for the dice is particularly clever.  :thumbsup:

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2020, 08:54:08 »
Oh, I like those !!!

I wonder if you could actually use the old cardboard stands from 2E & Reinforcements boxes on little hex bases like that.

I tested it with a city tech OST, so yes.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2020, 10:22:53 »
I like those!  The spot for the dice is particularly clever.  :thumbsup:

Oh Nice,  I'm blind & just thought they were sitting there.

I didn't notice the little cut indentation spot.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2020, 11:17:01 »
Yep. There are Roman numerals so you can determine facing after a fall too.

I'm looking into selling packs of these. Probably 12 per pack for company v company.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2020, 20:14:27 »
Made 4 more today. I'm getting faster.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2020, 23:26:57 »
12 down. I'm getting a lot faster and starting to get a system together.  >:D

Now to decide on what type of varnish or stain to use.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2020, 23:30:32 by Fear Factory »

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2020, 13:46:02 »
Do you have a table saw, or access to one for a few hours?  You could sharpie out the hex grid on a panel of wood, slice dozens of little hexes, then use an orbital sander to clean the edges up and get rid of the sharpie outlines.

worktroll mentioned staining by faction, and that is an awesome idea. I kind of like the general idea of swapping base colors to give mechs different affiliations, like an IFF signal?

You could use liquid or spray acrylic matte varnish. Since these are pretty thin, I imagine liquid would run down the sides and be a general pain unless you wanted to do many coats, in which case the spray just seems way easier. You could tak the bases onto a wine cork or something and dip them to speed things up, if you're not a perfectionist who cares about an unfinished/unvarnished spot on the bottom.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #14 on: 16 July 2020, 16:16:07 »
Do you have a table saw, or access to one for a few hours?  You could sharpie out the hex grid on a panel of wood, slice dozens of little hexes, then use an orbital sander to clean the edges up and get rid of the sharpie outlines.

So far I've been penciling a hex grid, tracing with a razor, then cutting with a hand saw.

worktroll mentioned staining by faction, and that is an awesome idea. I kind of like the general idea of swapping base colors to give mechs different affiliations, like an IFF signal?

You could use liquid or spray acrylic matte varnish. Since these are pretty thin, I imagine liquid would run down the sides and be a general pain unless you wanted to do many coats, in which case the spray just seems way easier. You could tak the bases onto a wine cork or something and dip them to speed things up, if you're not a perfectionist who cares about an unfinished/unvarnished spot on the bottom.

I'm thinking a spray would be the best bet. Maybe from Minwax.

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 16 July 2020, 16:40:17 »
So far I've been penciling a hex grid, tracing with a razor, then cutting with a hand saw.

I'm thinking a spray would be the best bet. Maybe from Minwax.

If you go here

https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/

there's water-based express color.  I used the crimson for some nighttables, and it worked really well.  You can see the wood grain, but it's also obviously red and not just a cherry kind of wood.

Are you trying to keep the wood grain, or do you not care about that?

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #16 on: 16 July 2020, 16:49:59 »
If you go here

https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/

there's water-based express color.  I used the crimson for some nighttables, and it worked really well.  You can see the wood grain, but it's also obviously red and not just a cherry kind of wood.

Are you trying to keep the wood grain, or do you not care about that?

Maybe slightly. I did sand the sides so it doesn't show as much, it would be nice to have more of a shine.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #17 on: 16 July 2020, 17:29:15 »
That is some nice job you have done there.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2020, 20:43:24 »
Instead of spending a ton of money on dice I decided to make my own. You're not throwing these, just tracking movement, so I thought this was a lot better.

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 18 July 2020, 02:45:12 »
If you're going to the effort of crafting dice for these, then you may want to look at using numerals instead of pips, and perhaps a letter or icon that could point a certain way for walk/run/jump on each face. Though that sounds like a great deal more work, perhaps.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #20 on: 18 July 2020, 05:59:06 »
A pointing icon for movement type would probably work better with pips than numerals...

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #21 on: 18 July 2020, 10:06:44 »
If you're going to the effort of crafting dice for these, then you may want to look at using numerals instead of pips, and perhaps a letter or icon that could point a certain way for walk/run/jump on each face. Though that sounds like a great deal more work, perhaps.

A pointing icon for movement type would probably work better with pips than numerals...

It's really not that much effort. Just takes time.

The hex bases have numerals for facing for the "facing after a fall table" and a spot for a movement die (I don't have a lot of small D6, so I decided to make my own for this because it's way cheaper).

The die are just sections cut from a wooden dowel and sanded on the edges.

As far as some kind of pointer, I have a butt load of triangle scraps, so I could have them labeled as walk/run/jump on one side at each edge, and the other side as "prone."

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #22 on: 24 July 2020, 10:51:26 »
More die progress. Dremeled some holes and got some wood burning done in the process.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2020, 14:33:45 »
The project so far.

Small d6 for movement die.
Standard d6 because why not.
Hex bases stamped
- Slot to put a paper 'mech standee
- Slot to put a movement die (12mm)
- Roman numerals on each hexside for "facing after a fall"
- Letters stamped above each hexside indicating firing arcs and facing.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #24 on: 26 July 2020, 18:09:57 »
AND that's it.

Some spray shellac to bring out the color and seal the wood. Then, some paste wax to smooth it out.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #25 on: 26 July 2020, 18:10:40 »
4th edition, 2nd edition, and Citytech:

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #26 on: 29 July 2020, 18:55:34 »
Movement mode and torso twist indicators.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #27 on: 30 July 2020, 12:34:39 »
putting the movement mode on the torso indicator was an excellent idea. normally i just stick the die on the hexside where the torso is facing but you've already got a slot for that (also a neat idea)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #28 on: 30 July 2020, 12:52:13 »
putting the movement mode on the torso indicator was an excellent idea. normally i just stick the die on the hexside where the torso is facing but you've already got a slot for that (also a neat idea)

Thanks a lot! I thought it was a cool idea. Abou helped me figure out how to do it.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 30 July 2020, 16:55:14 »
These are super cool.  The standees from the Beginner's box and AGoAC are very high quality--do these fit as well?

Best,

Mad